• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFAMOUS 2 |OT| Think Twice

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
While I love the game and think the storyline's decent, your changes would have made it far better.

It's disappointing they didn't do it, the story was handled really well in the first title, so it makes them botching (maybe this is too harsh?) it is all the more disappointing. They had all the elements but for whatever reason they couldn't put them together and instead decided to follow the tired, predictable path we've seen in other titles.

Amir0x

Banned
Ok I was sort of meh on the first inFAMOUS. Here is why. Can someone who has been through the game read the "why" and elaborate on whether the game fixed the issues I had and if it would be probably worth giving this game a shot?

The morality stuff is still stupid, there isn't anything like the garbage tower or prison to platform, and Cole's powers may feel, dare I say, weaker, although using the Amp does feel cool when you are battling tons of mutants in close quarters.

New Marais does feel better to navigate, lots more guidewires and an improved hovering ability, plus there is the much-loved ice jump. Environments are much more varied as well.

I think they really worked on improving the movement in the game, they added a tether so you can just zip across to any building or on top of any building (problem is this comes very late in the game), improved thrusters and ice jump are also a god send, makes traveling much faster.

Amir0x

Banned
ConradCervantes said:
The morality stuff is still stupid, there isn't anything like the garbage tower or prison to platform, and Cole's powers may feel, dare I say, weaker, although using the Amp does feel cool when you are battling tons of mutants in close quarters.

What really? Hmmm... that was the best thing about the first game. Maybe a price drop then.

Amir0x said:
Ok I was sort of meh on the first inFAMOUS. Here is why. Can someone who has been through the game read the "why" and elaborate on whether the game fixed the issues I had and if it would be probably worth giving this game a shot?

The city definitely has more personality, but there's one area that I thought was very poorly designed. (although some loved it), fortunately, you don't spend too much time in that area.

The sewers sections are gone (thank god, I really hated those),

The platforming is slightly worse than I1 for the simple fact that there's very little to climb that isn't a straight line to the top, there is no junk tower equivalent here unfortunately (there is one tower that comes close, but plotting a path upwards is all too easy), you also rarely find yourself climbing to complete objectives/missions, it virtually all street level based with a few rooftop chases/battles. To be honest, the game takes its sticky platforming to a whole new level, it's much worse than it was in the first title.

I haven't played as a bad guy yet, but some of the decisions are as poorly implemented as they were in the first, the karma choices (just going by the good choices) are on par with what was available in the first title.

Some of the latter enemies are incredibly hard to take down, even more so than the trash men from I1 (one enemy, a shotgunner, can take up to 7 melee hits before he goes down, but there is an a take down option, which recharges as you get in hits in, so you can, in theory take down an enemy in two hits, but it can be hard to get those melee hits in when you're being blasted from all sides), two enemies in particularly are incredibly annoying, this is doubly annoying as Cole feels a lot weaker and takes a lot less damage before he dies.

You do run faster (it felt like you did, but I might be wrong), not Proto fast but he does feel faster and Cole does now have a power where he can lift cars, etc and hurl them.

KingK

Beat the game today and got the good ending.
The ending was epic, but it all felt a little rushed. Oh well, I still loved it. I wonder if Cole dies on the evil playthrough? I just started an evil run on hard.

The only thing I have left to do (other than beat my evil Hard run) is to find one more goddamn dead drop. I have 28/29 and have no idea where the last one is.

Duffyside

Banned
Amir0x said:
Yeah this game doesn't really have any platforming "sections." However, moving around the city is much better than it used to be. Not only does the game start off better with vertical electrical rails to shoot up on some buildings, but it also doles out at least two more powers during the game that increases your ability to move across the city significantly. You'll never blaze through the streets as fast as the guy in Prototype moved, but personally I felt the speed at which Cole got around with the ice jump was just about perfect. There is one more traversal ability you unlock after that which makes getting through the city even faster, which I often chose not to even use because of how much I enjoyed the jump/glide/grind combo. If all just felt so smooth.

The city this time has a little more personality than the last, but not too much, other than the significant artistic and graphical upgrade, which I felt was a serious need and very welcome improvement. The first area of the second island adds a real nice twist to the way things look and even the way you play the game, as you have to be much more careful at this point. The city this time is much brighter and more colorful, which I find to be a serious plus, but overall I'd say about 70% of New Marais feels much the same way Empire City did: 4 - 10 story buildings, rooftops, wires, parks, you get the idea. You mentioned wanting the new city to have their areas feel more distinctive, and I'd Sucker Punch achieved that, but not to the level you were hoping. Still improved though.

I think the morality decisions were much better in this game, but still unneeded. You don't get anything like "use these boxes of food to feed people, or to kill their children with" but really, I just don't see the point still of even having a villain option. I think Sucker Punch would be much better off making the choice what kind of hero you want to be – a boy scout following the rules or an egotist doing whatever he needs to stop the bad guy – rather than trying to wedge in this villainy silliness.

I disagree with Conrad about the abilities feeling less powerful. I concede that the basic powers may be less effective, but not only do you have some really devastating "mega" powers to use, you also have tons of options you can switch to almost instantly. Literally, I could change what type of grenade, missile, and regular attack I had in one second without even hitting the start button. You will encounter some enemies that I feel can absorb a little too much damage, and I found them a little annoying, but you do have some options, such as the aforementioned "mega powers," and, something you wished for: picking up a car and throwing it right in their face. Also, I believe the final upgrades you get make all enemies not a mini-boss much easier to defeat, though I didn't have these upgrades long enough before beating the game to say this with any certainty.

I think that covers everything you mentioned. Here is a brief synopsis of what you didn't mention, but I cared for: better voice-acting, better graphics, better frame-rate, better overall story, and perhaps even better music. And I love that when I want to just play Infamous for how good it "feels" in a few months, I can now put the game in and have something new to do with the best-rated user-generated-missions rather than having to fumble about and try to find something to do, or even start replaying the game.

So in conclusion; yo dude, I fucking love Vanquish, Galaxy and Super Meat Boy. I would've given Infamous 1 a 7, and I would give Infamous 2 an 8. So, there you go. tl;dr

Duffyside

Banned
KingK said:
The ending was epic, but it all felt a little rushed. Oh well, I still loved it. I wonder if Cole dies on the evil playthrough? I just started an evil run on hard.

The only thing I have left to do (other than beat my evil Hard run) is to find one more goddamn dead drop. I have 28/29 and have no idea where the last one is.
I had the same issue, and had to use a dead drop map to find it. That shouldn't take long, as the pigeons circle a very large area and there aren't that many - it's not like looking for shards in the first one.

One thing to make sure you've done though is the "Return to the Baiyou" trophy, as there is one Dead Drop out there. You have to go back to first gameplay section - that island area off in the western direction, I think.

God, the firebird strike is so awful compared to the ice launch. There's no way to keep your momentum with that unwieldy thing. You can't even come out into a static thruster right off the bat like you can with ice launch.

EVIL SUCKS.

Crewnh said:
God, the firebird strike is so awful compared to the ice launch. There's no way to keep your momentum with that unwieldy thing. You can't even come out into a static thruster right off the bat like you can with ice launch.

EVIL SUCKS.
Damn....I REALLY wish I went with an evil play through first, I know I'm going to hate not being able to use the ice launch and hate the fact there is no evil power as good.

Cheska

Finished the good ending last night. Game is amazing, but some stuff left me sad.
Was really hoping for more Kuo interactions. I mean at the end when she's totally like "I was scared...I am scared" I thought we'd see a little love happening. Also sad that he actually died. I'm super interested in seeing how different the Evil playthrough works out though.

CatPee

upJTboogie said:
Damn....I REALLY wish I went with an evil play through first, I know I'm going to hate not being able to use the ice launch and hate the fact there is no evil power as good.

Aren't you able to choose which extra elemental power you want anyway at the fort?

CatPee said:
Aren't you able to choose which extra elemental power you want anyway at the fort?
Yeah but that does put you one bar towards good, which sucks on an evil play through.

Perhaps you can just choose Kuo and then do a shitload of bad things to get back on track.

KingK

duffyside said:
I had the same issue, and had to use a dead drop map to find it. That shouldn't take long, as the pigeons circle a very large area and there aren't that many - it's not like looking for shards in the first one.

One thing to make sure you've done though is the "Return to the Baiyou" trophy, as there is one Dead Drop out there. You have to go back to first gameplay section - that island area off in the western direction, I think.

Yeah, I already got that one, so it must be a different one I'm missing. I'll just look up a map and use that to track it down.

Duffyside

Banned
upJTboogie said:
Yeah but that does put you one bar towards good, which sucks on an evil play through.

Perhaps you can just choose Kuo and then do a shitload of bad things to get back on track.
That counts as a good decision? REALLY? Because I would think the good thing to do would be to
not make Kuo relive her torment.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
duffyside said:
That counts as a good decision? REALLY? Because I would think the good thing to do would be to
not make Kuo relive her torment.

I'm not really sure why choosing a power type is a good/bad choice in the first place.

Gonna start my evil/hard playthrough tonight. Bummed I can't use the sword AND the reaper skin together.

The Lamp

KingK said:

Go back to the bayou from the beginning of the game

Owzers

finished Infamous 2! It was okay, mostly boring but improved towards the very end. The first half was too slow and tedious, but at least the enemies didn't shoot you from miles away on top of rooftops so much like in the first. I also felt underpowered and didn't like that some of your powers could only be upgraded ( mainly charging time) by doing extra side quests.

I still don't like any of these characters though.

I definitely wish the final fight..

• Gave Kuo a meatier battle, I hit her a few times and she was down, plus the beast in the background and made things a little crazy, I would have preferred a longer battle with her then on to the beast.

• I was also hoping John would shrink to a smaller size so I could fight him like Kessler, but I don't think that could have made sense story wise, but it would have been a more enjoyable battle.

• John should have talked more in the final fight, at least persuade me not to use the RFI.

Amir0x said:

Half-way through you have stronger static thruster making it easier to just keep Cole in the air, you can lift cars, aim and throw them, lift while standing on them. I still like the fact that they didn't try to copy prototype because the environment means something, in Prototype buildings are essentially cardboard boxes.

Mush

MalboroRed said:
Half-way through you have stronger static thruster making it easier to just keep Cole in the air, you can lift cars, aim and throw them, lift while standing on them. I still like the fact that they didn't try to copy prototype because the environment means something, in Prototype buildings are essentially cardboard boxes.
I just got the improved static thrusters, does that mean I'm over halfway already? Holy shit. inFamous 1 was a far longer game than this if so.

Mush said:
I just got the improved static thrusters, does that mean I'm over halfway already? Holy shit. inFamous 1 was a far longer game than this if so.

There's about 40 story missions. And yeah I'm pretty sure this is a shorter game, but it didn't feel too short to me... rather, the first game felt too long.

Mush

revolverjgw said:
There's about 40 story missions. And yeah I'm pretty sure this is a shorter game, but it didn't feel too short to me... rather, the first game felt too long.
Oh well. :(

There's the evil play-through still to come and I haven't even touched the UGC yet. What's the verdict on that?

Mush said:
Oh well. :(

There's the evil play-through still to come and I haven't even touched the UGC yet. What's the verdict on that?
For every ten UGC missions I play, maybe one is actually any good.

I am going to play around with the editor myself after I finish my hard run.

Kingpen

Dilemma....

I never got a PS3 to play inFAMOUS 1. With the Sequel out, I most likely will never try to go back and play that particular game, being that a sequel usually improves on a lot of different areas from it's predecessor. I won't go back and play the 1st game simply because I have limited time as a working adult with a family, and there are way too many other games coming out that I'm interested in...

That being said, I'm interested in all the positive comments on inFAMOUS 2 and am wondering if I should invest some money in this.

I generally like open sandbox games.

Can I get around just fine in my experience with I2 without the intention of ever playing part 1?

I know I'm missing out on some origin story, but am just looking to get a feel of how enjoyable the experience will be with these parameters....

Thanks

KingK

Kingpen said:
Dilemma....

I never got a PS3 to play inFAMOUS 1. With the Sequel out, I most likely will never try to go back and play that particular game, being that a sequel usually improves on a lot of different areas from it's predecessor. I won't go back and play the 1st game simply because I have limited time as a working adult with a family, and there are way too many other games coming out that I'm interested in...

That being said, I'm interested in all the positive comments on inFAMOUS 2 and am wondering if I should invest some money in this.

I generally like open sandbox games.

Can I get around just fine in my experience with I2 without the intention of ever playing part 1?

I know I'm missing out on some origin story, but am just looking to get a feel of how enjoyable the experience will be with these parameters....

Thanks

You can download the first game for free right now as part of the Welcome Back program.

Having said that, I don't think it's really that necessary to play the first game if you really don't want to (though you should, because it's great). The first had a better story than inFamous 2, but you could easily just read a synopsis of the story and get by fine in the second one. Infamous 2 also is a much better game in just about every aspect other than story. In fact, it would still be loads of fun even if you skipped all of the cutscenes.

burgerdog

brandonh83 said:
I was seriously (super duper spoiler)
bummed out by Cole's death
. Good job, SP. Tremendously awesome game.
Wow. I am stupid. I read super duper spoiler and I didn't process it fully and read the spoiler. Fuck.

TTG

Crewnh said:

EVIL SUCKS.

Is this the general consensus? I just got this in the mail, played through the first mission in the actual city and it gave me some BS about collateral damage and how I really shouldn't do that, lol. I guess I'll just plow through on the good side with a lot of injured bystanders like I did in the first game if the "good" powers are that much better.

Jarmel

Banned
Hated it. Finished it today and while I was playing it, the game was fine but looking back there is so much bullshit that I just can't do another round. Betrand is a horrible villain, both side characters(Nix and Kuo) are horrible characters and not really fleshed out, the Beast was insanely disappointing, camera issues, and the side missions pissed me off to high hell.

Infinitely prefer the first game.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Jarmel said:
Hated it. Finished it today and while I was playing it, the game was fine but looking back there is so much bullshit that I just can't do another round. Betrand is a horrible villain, both side characters(Nix and Kuo) are horrible characters and not really fleshed out, the Beast was insanely disappointing, camera issues, and the side missions pissed me off to high hell.

Infinitely prefer the first game.

I sort of agree with this. I did not really hate it, but it felt less good than the first one.

That said, big scale fights are amazing from a technical stand point. Never seen anything like that in an open world game. The first fight against
Bertrand monster, with dozens the soldiers fighting at its feet as he walks around the city
is something to behold.

Jarmel

Banned
TTP said:
I sort of agree with this. I did not really hate it, but it felt less good than the first one.

That said, big scale fights are amazing from a technical stand point. Never seen anything like that in an open world game. The first fight against
Bertrand monster, with dozens the soldiers fighting at its feet as he walks around the city
is something to behold.

The first time around yes, but we have to do it again? Really? It's like they ran out of ideas and just wanted the damn game out the door. Same with the Beast. Not to mention tactics for both were relatively simple. Kessler was a better villain and a much better boss fight.

gl0w

Started playing the game last night, and, like i was expecting the game is amazing! Much better than the first one.

The only annoying thing i see, is the city sound.... so much quiet...well, i think i will get used to it.

Also, is just me or the fact that when Cole lost all his energy, and he cant even use is most simple power...is kind a bad?

Adamm

So ive completed it with the good ending and loved it! + got about 77% of trophies - The only ones im missing is hard-mode & evil trophies.

I planned to play Evil to platinum it, but im not sure i can be bothered playing through the game again as it doesnt seem much different so far (apart from being red instead of blue)

Dont get me wrong, I absolutly loved this game. It & Infamous 1 are two of my favorite games this gen, but apart from the ending & the trophies is it really worth another playthrough?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Jarmel said:
The first time around yes, but we have to do it again? Really? It's like they ran out of ideas and just wanted the damn game out the door. Same with the Beast. Not to mention tactics for both were relatively simple. Kessler was a better villain and a much better boss fight.

Agree. I'm not talking game design tho, just technical accomplishment.

In a way, this is the opposite of what Infamous 1 was.

Infamous 1 - great design, poor tech
Infamous 2 - poor design, great tech

Hopefully...
Infamous 3 - great design, great tech

gl0w said:
Started playing the game last night, and, like i was expecting the game is amazing! Much better than the first one.

The only annoying thing i see, is the city sound.... so much quiet...well, i think i will get used to it.

Also, is just me or the fact that when Cole lost all his energy, and he cant even use is most simple power...is kind a bad?

This annoyed me, they don't even bother explaining why Cole's lost nearly 90% of his powers from the end of the first title.

revolverjgw said:

yeah i thought inFamous 2 was the perfect lenght. And i have to play it again since i missed out on all the Good mission variants and the whole ending is different. The final battle was Epic as Evil Cole,
so much fun rampaging through the city with John.

Speedymanic said:
This annoyed me, they don't even bother explaining why Cole's lost nearly 90% of his powers from the end of the first title.
The Beast broke his powers. That's what Cole says at the start. It's a crummy way of starting him as basic Cole but it's plausible.

TTP said:
Agree. I'm not talking game design tho, just technical accomplishment.

In a way, this is the opposite of what Infamous 1 was.

Infamous 1 - great design, poor tech
Infamous 2 - poor design, great tech

Hopefully...
Infamous 3 - great design, great tech

While I've not finished the game (I've just powered up the last section of the map) I have to agree with this assessment. It's like they took as many, if not more, steps backwards as they did forwards. It's really dissapointing to see almost no platforming and the traversal largely ignored in the actual missions, with the focus being mostly on the combat which gets sloppier and less well balanced the more the game goes on.

I think flood town is meant to give your platforming fix for the game. Honestly the only major platforming piece the first game had was that tower (maybe the underground power segments). Flood town feels like a giant platforming are to screw around with. I also don't think the design in 2 is bad, at least not compared to the first game. I think the design of the first game is being over rated. It felt like very, very simple design for the first game. Unlock city segments with a submission or play story mission to the boss then move to the next island and repeat. I thought they made the layout of the city more interesting this time (I wasn't a fan of the 3 separate island idea). Putting the story of the game against the beast's arrival was a really good idea as well. I liked how they handled the menus, and unlocking powers much better in the second game as well.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Jarmel said:
By the way, who actually used the cover system? I tried it once or twice and promptly forgot about it.
It's very important on hard, so I ended up using it a lot. Besides, I play the inFamous games like third person shooters.

Is it just me, or does it feel like you have to retreat to charge up your electricity a LOT more in this game than in the first?

I don't know if it's because rail-grinding no longer recharges Cole, or if it's because the basic bolt attack now consumes electricity, or both, but all that retreating makes me feel a LOT weaker than in the first game.

Top Bottom