• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFAMOUS 2 |OT| Think Twice

JEKKI

Grisby said:
it went pretty far before hitting a dead space and just dropping
geez first they put the Necromorphs in, now tha game has actual Dead Space in it.

do u think this game will have plasma cutter as DLC??

BeeDog

Replaying the game on Hard right now, doing an evil run. So far, it's fun, and the evil cutscenes with Nix are corny in a fun way. I seriously miss the Ice jump though, since the Phoenix blast or whatever it's called is a far cry from it.

Grisby

JEKKI said:
geez first they put the Necromorphs in, now tha game has actual Dead Space in it.

do u think this game will have plasma cutter as DLC??

I wouldn't mind Issac armor for Cole. He should have just fashioned some trashcan armor like the enemies did in the first game.

TheExecutive said:
OK, so after a few UGC missions I have whole-heartedly decided that the platinum trophy isnt worth the trouble. I absolutely HATE when people throw me in impossible situations and then I dont even have a clue of what kind of powers I have until everything is bearing down on me. So frustrating. Let me use the powers I spent 20 hours accumulating.

Eh, while I have no interest in playing any UGC missions ever again, I actually enjoyed playing 25 of them to get the trophies, it was silly and fun. I mainly used the "kill 'em all" filter so everything I played was just mobs of enemies, way more than you face in the campaign, but not one of them was impossible. I thought it was hilarious to start right in front of 100 zombies and die instantly, but it's pretty easy to escape from and systematically pick off even the most ridiculous mob when you're ready for them. There seems to be limits on how much shit people can pack into a mission, because they were all very beatable. Luckily nobody seemed to be disabling powers.

newjeruse

I think the dialog in the game is far, far improved over the first. I would go so far as saying it's above average for videogames. I actually genuinely chuckled a couple times and some of the back-and-forth banter sounds genuine. There was even a funny melanoma line. A FUNNY MELANOMA LINE.

BatmanX

I'm at the 14th mission and so far I really don't understand how some reviewers can say that infamous 2 is worse than his predecessor.

Everything looks like a major improvement to me, and I love the ost too.

Also, Edge are such a bunch of incompetents idiots :D

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
5+ hours so far, some thoughts...

-This game is freaking fantastic.
-Red dude in the intro was epic, worth all the hype about him.
-The city is more alive with more people and cars and it's very beautiful unlike empire city.
-DAT katana, holy shit,Sasuke.
-Love the freaking melee, so good.
-new good powers are great
-Love the side quests.
-Story is very solid so far.
-Poor pegions :(
-Playing good limit the fun ( again) I want to destory enemies in street but stop because there are innocent people all around, can't wait to play Evil.

Finished it earlier and thoroughly enjoyed it, but I felt they left the Beast underdeveloped.

They should have John appear in human form throughout the game trying to win Cole over to his side and his way of thinking, that could have easily replaced Nix and allowed the developers to let players choose from all the powers instead of locking half of them out because of one, pointless decision.

Also, Bertrand was by far the most pointless boss in any game for quite some time. Utterly irrelevant for the most part, they should have kept him human and turned his fate into a karma choice towards the end.

Ruzai

Finished the light side earlier today, and I've almost cleaned up all the territory except one hex in flood town. It's the northwest of the second island, more or less the most northern point of the railyards. There is no mission marker, and the mobs that spawn in the area don't drop a hidden package or convey marker. I've looked around the rest of flood town, and don't find any groups to take out.

Anyone able to help? Would be extremely grateful if you happened to remember where the mission marker drops. I suppose I could just be missing a small group of enemies somewhere.

I think my PS3 died while I was playing this :(

It turns on once then just keeps restarting before it even gets to the menu......

There goes all my saves!

Ruzai said:
Finished the light side earlier today, and I've almost cleaned up all the territory except one hex in flood town. It's the northwest of the second island, more or less the most northern point of the railyards. There is no mission marker, and the mobs that spawn in the area don't drop a hidden package or convey marker. I've looked around the rest of flood town, and don't find any groups to take out.

Anyone able to help? Would be extremely grateful if you happened to remember where the mission marker drops. I suppose I could just be missing a small group of enemies somewhere.
I had the same problem and then I realized I was just downing every group of enemies that I saw instead of actually killing them, could be your problem too.

1stStrike

Banned
DualShadow said:
I think my PS3 died while I was playing this :(

It turns on once then just keeps restarting before it even gets to the menu......

There goes all my saves!

Looks like someone should've made use of the free cloud storage for game saves offered by sony, or copied them to a memory stick :p

Zabka

Speedymanic said:
Finished it earlier and thoroughly enjoyed it, but I felt they left the Beast underdeveloped.

They should have John appear in human form throughout the game trying to win Cole over to his side and his way of thinking, that could have easily replaced Nix and allowed the developers to let players choose from all the powers instead of locking half of them out because of one, pointless decision.

Also, Bertrand was by far the most pointless boss in any game for quite some time. Utterly irrelevant for the most part, they should have kept him human and turned his fate into a karma choice towards the end.
I platinumed Infamous 1 and didn't remember who the hell John was. I heard him mentioned in the dead drops but the reveal meant very little to me.

Ruzai

upJTboogie said:
I had the same problem and then I realized I was just downing every group of enemies that I saw instead of actually killing them, could be your problem too.

That was it exactly. Thanks a ton!

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Finished both sides and got the Platinum, always hate finishing a good game off 100%.
Kinda wish it had more to do, I hope an inFamous 3 isn't far away, if they decided to do another one at all.

But my theory and a kinda question regarding the storyline of inF2.
It was interesting, but sometimes when playing through I wondered if John was really the true beast that Kessler foretold.
Kessler before the events of inFamous 1 told John that he would have an important destiny or something along those lines on one of the Dead Drops, and while we know that their powers would have been created on their own over time, they were rushed along with the Ray Sphere, and John in inF2 said he was only doing it to bring out the conduit powers in people and to cure the disease spread from Ray Sphere radiation so that there would be people left alive.

Now as far as we know Kessler didn't know John was "the Beast" in his time line and I assume the disease wasn't present (if he knew John was, why not just kill him?), so I don't know why he would know that John had a destiny of sorts, but if in Kesslers time line there was no Ray Sphere, then there was no radiation to go with it, and so John as the Beast wouldn't have been created in regards to his Ray Sphere radiation powers and wouldn't need to go on a rampage in the first place to "sort it out" as it were unless he was somehow power hungry and wanted to kill everyone, but as the Evil ending showed he seemingly didn't want to.

Unless there is something I have missed?

Speedymanic said:

While I love the game and think the storyline's decent, your changes would have made it far better.

KingK

Mission with the
lightning storm/unlimited energy
was just so fucking awesome.

I'm pretty sure I'm right at the end now. I've gotten all the blast shards, done all side missions, and my next story mission is called "The Final Choice."

I'm still missing one Dead Drop though (and I already got the one that was back where you started the game).

Aurarian

Got my platinum today. Overall, I thought this was game was much better in pretty much everything. Really loved the new mobility powers. They made traversing the areas much quicker than the last game.

Aurarian

Facism said:
i miss the lightning storm ultimate attack from the first game. the extreme makeover trophy wont unlock either

Just keep throwing grenades at verandas in the first island. It's really annoying because you don't know if each section counts or not.

Ruzai

Facism said:
i miss the lightning storm ultimate attack from the first game. the extreme makeover trophy wont unlock either

The trophy text is a little misleading. You actually need to achieve the Big Destruction bonus 30 times. Just make sure to blow up entire balconies, and not sections of one, and you'll usually always get credit for it.

graywolf323

anyone else run into a problem with the game freezing when Kuo gives you the coordinates for the Evolution mission?

it's frozen three times straight on me :-(

edit: nvm it seems it was just because I'm on a really slow internet connection

a window having me agree to some TOS for online appeared and after I accepted the game worked again

Ruzai said:
The trophy text is a little misleading. You actually need to achieve the Big Destruction bonus 30 times. Just make sure to blow up entire balconies, and not sections of one, and you'll usually always get credit for it.
Also the orange and white silos in Ascension Parish count

And usually respawn quicker..

Duffyside

Banned
I think the voice-acting in this game is really great. Nix and Cole are great, but Kuo really stands out to me as something special. All of them deliver their lines believably, and it often isn't silly, cliche comic book catchphrases. The motion of the characters helps sell the words they're speaking; there's a moment when Cole reacts to Nix's "Boom" plan, by snapping his fingers and pointing while saying "a distraction will work." Crazy Nix is obviously depressed at one point in the game, and the way her arms and hands move to slap her hips in frustration, and move to her lips as if she's about to start crying. Kuo spins while clasping her hands together, beaming "guys, this is going to work!"

Very glad they picked a new voice-actor for Cole; he was much better than the last guy. Too bad Sucker Punch is so devoted to these silly "be the villain or be the hero" underpinnings; the necessity to make the story cutscenes "balanced" somewhere between good and evil, so that what being said will at least be passable no matter what you've chosen ensures that the scene won't have as much meaning as it could. Moreover, I find the underlying fiction really interesting, but it's not developed nearly enough and I feel it would be had the developer not spent so much time coming up with essentially a whole other "dark-mirror" game to satiate their foolish design decision.

This game has some good characters and narrative going for it, so I really hope Sucker Punch chooses to let that shine should a third game be made rather than continue this "good or evil" strategy. You can still have important decisions to make during the game, they just won't be the difference between killing a kitten and sending a kitten to college (P-A, yes). It will actually benefit the franchise to give this cool universe some more "meat" and just make Cole a damn hero.

If you insist on having player-choice, make the choice "be a boy-scout, or be unorthodox."

got platinum

regarding the evil ending,
that was oddly cathartic. Sorry, Nix, but I do. I really, really do. And I'm glad I was able to.

george_us

Ugh I swear to god it's like this game doesn't realize that I'M A FUCKING A DUDE WITH BAD ASS ELECTRICAL POWERS THAT CAN REALLY FUCK SHIT UP!

This game has the same problem as the first where it feels like the designers were so focused on balance that they forgot to make Cole feel powerful. The fact that those chaingun dudes can survive multiple grenades is fucking bullshit. And the story and characters are pretty much a jumbled pile of uninteresting ass at this point.

george_us said:
Ugh I swear to god it's like this game doesn't realize that I'M A FUCKING A DUDE WITH BAD ASS ELECTRICAL POWERS THAT CAN REALLY FUCK SHIT UP!

This game has the same problem as the first where it feels like the designers were so focused on balance that they forgot to make Cole feel powerful. The fact that those chaingun dudes can survive multiple grenades is fucking bullshit. And the story and characters are pretty much a jumbled pile of uninteresting ass at this point.
Sucker Punch seems to really like to hammer in the idea that Cole is not the most powerful conduit. He is strong, but there are conduits and people that are stronger (if only physically). Cole's gift is that he's agile and either does not care about life or is selfless (depending on alignment).

One of the dead drops, at least on the good alignment, points out that they chose Cole as a possible way to beat the Beast because he helps people.

Cole has strength of will whereas most with power don't. That's one of the reasons Kessler was so dangerous: he had a goal he would meet at any cost and was much stronger than Cole.

Just beat it. Good ending.

I would say that pretty much everything about this sequel was better than the original, most notably the graphics.

Overall a solid game, if I had to rate it I guess I would tack an 8 on it. It could have been so much more but it still holds up as a great game.

The ending was very good. It wrapped everything up nicely and it was good to see Cole go out as a tragic hero with the respect he deserved.

george_us said:

But you ARE powerful, just not superman powerful, but then a superman game would completely suck because you can overpower every enemy.

I just got up to the part when you get the ability to
see the plague within people.
I’m taking this nice and slow. I don’t want it to end.....its so damn good/fun!

This is literally better than the original in every single way, and the first one was fantastic! How this can score lower baffles me. This is easily the GOTY so far!

duffyside said:
I think the voice-acting in this game is really great. Nix and Cole are great, but Kuo really stands out to me as something special. All of them deliver their lines believably

YES! The voice actress for Kuo is very talented. She completely brings her character to life......a big reason why I love Kuo is because her voice acting is some of the best in the business!

Irish

Kuo's voice actress annoyed me. All I heard was a whistle every time she spoke. She also really loved to accentuate that 'S' sound.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
MalboroRed said:
But you ARE powerful, just not superman powerful, but then a superman game would completely suck because you can overpower every enemy.

Spoilers regarding enemy-types and powers:
taking down a Titan by standing in front of it and unleashing Ionic Storm feels sooooooooo bad-ass

Zoibie

I just finished the good ending and I really liked it...

as far as killing off the main character goes, I think this did it incredibly well. I also loved how they play up the Zeke-Cole relationship through this game, like one of the side missions where Zeke tricks Cole into putting a personal ad onto all the TVs in New Marais. Typical buddy stuff.

BeeDog

daxter01 said:
inFAMOUS 2 ost>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>inFAMOUS 1 ost

Overall, there are more tracks that I prefer on the I1 album (Amon Tobin <3) but one soundtrack from I2 is the best so far, Brain - Abducted. So good, probably the single best game track I've heard in a good while.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Zoibie said:
I just finished the good ending and I really liked it...

as far as killing off the main character goes, I think this did it incredibly well. I also loved how they play up the Zeke-Cole relationship through this game, like one of the side missions where Zeke tricks Cole into putting a personal ad onto all the TVs in New Marais. Typical buddy stuff.

Just finished good playthrough myself. The last mission/ending really worked for me (dramatically and mechanically) but also highlighted the fact that the story wasn't very powerful or propulsive for most of the game. If this falls under "pacing," then I think I2 has rather mediocre pacing. I liked the characters better, though, which is an improvement. I would have liked to spend more time with Kuo; I liked her arc but thought the end was a little rushed.

I look forward to seeing how much the dialogue changes during an evil playthrough and whether the overall story still makes sense.

Finished the game and saw the good ending. The last few missions and the build up to the ending were epic, really felt like the last 20 minutes of a good superhero movie. The ending itself was surprising but a bit abrupt and not quite as satisfying as I would have liked. I'm interested to see how the game closes on evil mode, and how your evil actions alter things.
A side note - I liked the soundtrack quite a lot. I've seen some negative reactions to it in this thread, but I think some of the track were quite stirring and memorable.

Also, a little immature on my part, but I had to upload this. Not really a glitch per say...

Ok I just finished my first good run, and I have to say that I love this game. I'll starting my Hard/Evil run through later today.

Also I think its pretty safe to say that Infamous2 is the best looking "open-world" game on consoles. Although while playing, I couldn't help wanting a Fantasy style, Action-RPG game, done with this engine.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Is it possible to replay the game with all the powers you earned in the first playthrough? Maybe on a harder difficulty? Because that i would seriously enjoy. To me, the problem with XP systems in games like these is that there is maybe 30% of the game left by the time you unlock all the powers, so playing the game "as it was meant to be played" last for a very short period of time.

Sure, some of the side missions are left, but i often want to play through the campaign again in its entirety, raining down lightning storms and dropping down seeker rockets from the sky.

DrewM1788

Just finished the game last night and the ending was almost everything I was expecting. It really felt epic. However, after sleeping on it I feel like Sucker Punch actually could have made it even better.

I feel like it could have been made a little more tense, even tugging on the heart strings a bit more and pulling out some tears. Here's kind of how I reimagined a bit of the ending last night while trying to fall asleep last night:

So everything would be the same up until the very end at the cathedral. I thought it was perfect up until then. I think that when he got the RFI though, Cole shouldn't have dropped down like he was about to own The Beast. I'm a fan of when the hero is overpowered almost to the point that you think there's no way he can win. It makes everything that much more intense. So when he grabs the RFI in the tower, he should have been about to charge it up and then out of nowhere, a blast of energy comes from the beach, hitting the cathedral tower and sending Cole out as it crumbles apart. He falls to the ground as The Beast stomps closer.

This would lead into the final battle with The Beast...a more difficult battle than the one near the water five minutes earlier (I thought The Beast was too easy for a final boss, even on hard). I don't really know how they could have changed the battle up, but I imagined it ending with Cole blasting him with rockets while being held in the air by The Beast. When The Beast's health finally drained to zero, a blast would build up and explode from the center of The Beast, sending him off into several pieces of enormous charred human like monster. The blast would also violently throw Cole back against the cathedral and falling to the ground. He would be insanely beat up now...looking pretty much as bad as he did after the raysphere explosion at the beginning of the first game. It would look like he was in a mini nuclear last, all burned up and bleeding and all. As Cole lays there barely alive, you can see The Beast starting to emit energy again...slowly putting himself back together. From the distance, you'd hear Zeke should from atop one of the buildings.

"Come on, Cole! Get up, brother! He's putting himself back together!"

Cole would look off around the rubble to see that the RFI was knocked away and laying maybe 50 yards away. You would then have to control a dying Cole crawling slowly towards the RFI as The Beast is visibly rebuilding himself behind you. Zeke would be shouting from the rooftop, encouraging you. I imagined this kind of being like MGS4, tapping a button as fast as possible to try and get Cole over to the RFI, before he collapses 10 yards short unable to get there. The music would be very important here, building up and really making you feel how desperate the situation has become. You would then here a "whoosh" beside Cole. It's Kuo and she's all beat up. She helps Cole up and they stumble together to the RFI, pretty much having the same conversation they had at the end of the game. They both fall down next to the RFI, exhausted.

"Do it, man! Press the button!" Zeke would again shout from the distance. Cole grips the RFI and barely gets himself to his feet. He looks down at the RFI, preparing himself for his own death. He looks up at Zeke and says quietly, "Thank you." Zeke responds quietly, "Goodbye, brother." The music builds louder and louder as Cole stares at the RFI before everything goes completely silent. You do the button presses to charge up the RFI and let go. The life would be draining from Cole into the RFI and The Beast would be disintegrating into ashes. The camera would move close in to Cole's face, showing the pain he is going through as tears run from his eyes. Cue sad music as camera moves to Zeke's face, watching on as screams of pain are heard in the distance. The camera would linger on Zeke's face for several seconds, letting the sadness sink in. Like the game already has, blast would be seen from space. It then goes back to Cole one last time as the pain finally stops and he falls to the ground, smoke coming off his body. It looks at him from above and slowly zooms out. It then goes into the comic book ending that the game already has.

So yeah, that's what I imagined last night when trying to fall asleep. I know I put way too much thought into it, but I figured I'd write it up. Sorry it was so long.

Zoibie

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Just finished good playthrough myself. The last mission/ending really worked for me (dramatically and mechanically) but also highlighted the fact that the story wasn't very powerful or propulsive for most of the game. If this falls under "pacing," then I think I2 has rather mediocre pacing. I liked the characters better, though, which is an improvement. I would have liked to spend more time with Kuo; I liked her arc but thought the end was a little rushed.

I look forward to seeing how much the dialogue changes during an evil playthrough and whether the overall story still makes sense.

I thought the pacing was alright, they throw enough side-story material in there to make it worthwhile but not really meaningful (I'm talking about Nix and Kuo more than the Bertrand stuff.) As I say, the continuation of the Zeke story was one of the best parts of the game IMO.

Also, I see that the save game tells you how many blast shards you have but is there a way of breaking it down by area, like in the first game?

@above put the text in [spoiler][/spoiler] tags

CatPee

BeauRoger said:
Is it possible to replay the game with all the powers you earned in the first playthrough? Maybe on a harder difficulty? Because that i would seriously enjoy. To me, the problem with XP systems in games like these is that there is maybe 30% of the game left by the time you unlock all the powers, so playing the game "as it was meant to be played" last for a very short period of time.

Sure, some of the side missions are left, but i often want to play through the campaign again in its entirety, raining down lightning storms and dropping down seeker rockets from the sky.

Nope. You gain even less XP by playing on hard, in fact. That, and it's a bit more difficult overall as well.

Top Bottom