• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFAMOUS 2 |OT| Think Twice

Jarmel

Banned
MuseManMike said:
You are WAY WAY WAY below the norm. I did the my first playthrough on Hard/Good and collected all possible trophies one can get on the first playthrough and clocked in at 12.5 hours or so.

I think you're just above the average. Mine is around 20 hours on Normal too.

Electric Tether did come way too late but I prefer it over Ice Jump.

Paznos

Dunlop said:
honestly for me came way to late in the game. I didn't use it due to the uberness of
ice launch
I agree it came way to late :( I did use it as much as I could once I got it though.

Paznos said:
I agree it came way to late :( I did use it as much as I could once I got it though.
I gave it a shot but the Ice Launch into glide combo is just so much better. In a very late game mission
where you're on a boat with LaRoche (I think) trying to attack the Beast, the game WANTS you to use the tether to travel from boat to boat on your way back to the mainland, but it was just not working out for me due to the range of the thing.
So, I opted to use Ice Launch + glide instead and passed that section with ease.

So good.

I guess I have no choice with my Evil playthrough though, because Firebird Strike is total crap.

newjeruse

I'm a little surprised by the negativity in this thread. I think the sequel is suffering from the fact that the original game snuck up on people and was surprisingly beloved. If you love inFAMOUS, and I did, then I can't imagine not loving the sequel. I also think the cinematics and voice acting aren't getting their due. There are a few scenes, like the one with Zeke and Cole sitting on the couch and not talking, which are really well-crafted.

Yea, the game suffers from open-world jank, to use a coined term. But so did Red Dead, so do all the GTA's, and so does Assasins Creed. And for the most part, those games are awesome. It's just part of the genre. Getting from point A to point B in inFAMOUS is still a spectacular experience, and that was the most important part of the series which they needed to retain.

newjeruse said:
I'm a little surprised by the negativity in this thread. I think the sequel is suffering from the fact that the original game snuck up on people and was surprisingly beloved. If you love inFAMOUS, and I did, then I can't imagine not loving the sequel. I also think the cinematics and voice acting aren't getting their due. There are a few scenes, like the one with Zeke and Cole sitting on the couch and not talking, which are really well-crafted.

Yea, the game suffers from open-world jank, to use a coined term. But so did Red Dead, so do all the GTA's, and so does Assasins Creed. And for the most part, those games are awesome. It's just part of the genre. Getting from point A to point B in inFAMOUS is still a spectacular experience, and that was the most important part of the series which they needed to retain.

Most of the negativity is directed towards the story, it simply wasn't as good a follow up to the first game as it could have should have been.

The gameplay is much improved apart from a few odd decisions like nerfing the standard bolt and removing other powers, but overall the game is flawed but great. All eyes on Proto 2 now, let's see if they can deliver a sequel of this caliber.

Paznos

Revolutionary said:
I gave it a shot but the Ice Launch into glide combo is just so much better. In a very late game mission
where you're on a boat with LaRoche (I think) trying to attack the Beast, the game WANTS you to use the tether to travel from boat to boat on your way back to the mainland, but it was just not working out for me due to the range of the thing.
So, I opted to use Ice Launch + glide instead and passed that section with ease.

So good.

I guess I have no choice with my Evil playthrough though, because Firebird Strike is total crap.
Yeah that's true I did the exact same thing for that mission since it does work a lot better.

Lingitiz

I think the problem with the projectiles isn't the spamming, but more the fact that when you get hit Cole has an extremely long stun animation that doesn't stop until he hits the ground. If you were able to thruster out it would be alot easier to deal with. Either way I never found it that bad. It was certainly never as troublesome as the ridiculous snipers in I1 that basically ruined any flow of the combat.

On my 8-10 hour comment. I don't know if I estimated poorly, but I2 is definitely longer than the first. The story is a bit longer but the side missions, karma events, and UGC missions stole alot of time out of me.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Revolutionary said:
In a very late game mission
I tried to only use the launch and thrusters but the mission kept failing me for that. Ehh.

The Lamp

On Good side, I beat the game, got all dead drops and finished all side quests, did about 10 UGC missions, and I STILL need about 10,000 more XP to unlock all the powers I have left. FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU

Dunlop

Revolutionary said:

Lol using tether never even crossed my mind (would have have sense), did it with ice launch np

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Revolutionary said:

So good.

My favourite new power from inFamous 2 is the Ice Launch, it essentially took away all the annoyance that the first game had with traversal, and along with the improved Static Thrusters made it so much more fun getting around.

It was boring playing through Evil without it.

DangerousDave said:
I used the lightning hook. It covered the distance without problems.

And lightning hook is amazing to get the shards. look, aim, got.

that plus the evil side air-dash makes for one helluva spiderman when you combo those moves :D never touch the ground!

Irish

I'm pretty sure the standard bolt also took up energy in the first game, but I'm not near my PS3 right now to test it. I think you could use it even when all your power cores were out though due to the reserve located where the ionics are now.

Gameplay-wise, I2 is a much better game. Story/Pacing wise, inFamous was a whole lot more enjoyable.

Loudninja

Irish said:
I'm pretty sure the standard bolt also took up energy in the first game, but I'm not near my PS3 right now to test it. I think you could use it even when all your power cores were out though due to the reserve located where the ionics are now.

Gameplay-wise, I2 is a much better game. Story/Pacing wise, inFamous was a whole lot more enjoyable.
Nope it didn't.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Well finished this up. Gotta say I was dissapointed. Definitely a lot better than I initially thought, which on the first few hours just didn't like the feel of it. I was surprised because I actually experienced quite a few glitches in this one including.

- Falling through the map several times.
- Bizarre issue where cole would walk in random directions trying to jump on something.
- the camera sticking in one place and literally wouldn't move. I had to run using the mini map and find water to kill cole and start over.
- Lots of issues with the crosshair. I'll line up shots perfect and it still misses often, which I don't understand.

Just a bunch of strange issues. As for the game itself I actually liked the side missions a lot better this time around. Less repetitive and none of that destroying surveilance stuff. Hated the Rocket guys, just a pain in the ass. Too powerful, too quick to react, too many. Also really didn't like the monsters, not only were they ridiculously easy, but it was just a stupid plot point. Weaker story than the first, but I actually enjoyed Zeke and Coles relationship more this time around.

Irish

Loudninja said:
Don't have to the standard bolt never took up energy. :p

When was the last time you played it? It was never a big drain, mind you, but I remember it depleting. (maybe even twenty good shots to drain a core) You wouldn't notice it if you constantly alternated between the bolts and regular powers. I mean, I just played through it twice two weeks ago, but my memory has never been good. That's why if someone can, I'd like for them to do a quick check.

Zabka

Irish said:
When was the last time you played it? It was never a big drain, mind you, but I remember it depleting. (maybe even twenty good shots to drain a core) You wouldn't notice it if you constantly alternated between the bolts and regular powers. I mean, I just played through it twice two weeks ago, but my memory has never been good. That's why if someone can, I'd like for them to do a quick check.
I played I1 a bit yesterday and it didn't drain using the main bolt.

I remember that I'd run empty throwing grenades and rockets then use the bolt to charge up an object just to suck the energy back up.

Loudninja

Irish said:
Just check it didn't drain after I use it like 50 times.

Irish

Zabka said:
I played I1 a bit yesterday and it didn't drain using the main bolt.

I remember that I'd run empty throwing grenades and rockets then use the bolt to charge up an object just to suck the energy back up.

Loudninja said:
Just check it didn't drain after I use it like 50 times.

There we go, confirmation was all I was looking for. :p

I wonder why in the world I thought that though. Playing the two games one right after the other probably didn't help. :/

Bruiserk

This game did not live up to my expectations. This was my most hyped game of the year, and it let me down. That's not to say I didn't enjoy the experience, but the beginning half of the game was just so boring compared to the later half. The
tether
came way to late, the evil powers were not as good as the hero powers, it was buggy and there needed to be more comic book style cut scenes.

The Lamp said:
On Good side, I beat the game, got all dead drops and finished all side quests, did about 10 UGC missions, and I STILL need about 10,000 more XP to unlock all the powers I have left. FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU

You didn't do enough stunts/Karma opportunities. I had every power purchased no problem on Good, Normal, and have the Double Grenade, Skull Bolt, 2 melee and the second Knockback power and I'm 11 missions into the story on my Evil, Hard playthrough.

Even with the reduced xp, the same principle applies. Highest number of stunts in combat + destruction. My personal favorite is grenades + Blow off roofs + Hit Flying Enemy + 2-4 in 1. for multiple groups. Of if they are on the ground, even better. Launch car, nades, blowback, destroy everyone.

And there are the same number of missions between I1 and I2, length to complete them is directly dependent on skill. I fully expect to finish the other missions in about 8 hours, max.

Side note, the polish in the game is subpar, needed more QA. Had quite a few really weird bugs happen with the camera.

Speaking of bugs, I had a fun one last night.

There's an evil side mission where you and Nix go around throwing cars. Nix will stand on a building, you'll pick up a car and throw it at her, then she'll teleport out of the way, leading you to the next area.

Except in the mission I did last night, she didn't teleport out of the way. Instead, she said "GOOD JOB, COLE" and then fell down off the building like a ragdoll.

I went up to her and she was clearly dead. Every time I hit L2, the game would just say "FOLLOW NIX" and highlight her dead body.

Kyaw

Is it me or is the rockets so damn annoying?

I get killed by rockets at point black when i'm fighting close quarters... at least there are many checkpoints in the game.

Cheska

DangerousDave said:
I used the lightning hook. It covered the distance without problems.

And lightning hook is amazing to get the shards. look, aim, got.

This is my favorite thing to use for collecting the blast shards. It literally makes the traversal so easy :D

Hopefully in a sequel, they abandon or tweak the karma system. Keep the choices though. That final decision had me all tense (in a good way) leading up to the decision... until they spell it out for you. "Der... Blue is good, Red is Baaaad".

I really don't lke playing hero mode and have to be conservative with my powers because of civilians. Sure, it evokes similar scenarios if one were a real life hero trying to protect civilians, but it drains the fun of a videogame.

My thoughts? First of all, civilians should RUN THE HELL AWAY from battles. Get out of your cars, stop trying to fist fight dudes with guns. RUN! There are crazy fireballs and lightning sparks flying everywhere. GET OUT OF THE WAY! If you do happen to zap someone, if you heal them, you do not get penalized. Leaving without doing so and you will. If you killed them, maybe a prompt over the body can allow you to mourn/ask forgiveness and you won't be penalized. But most importantly, they shouldn't be around. A game with melee that auto tracks anyone, civilian or not, should not penalize you for accidentally hitting a rebel instead of a monster. In a rebels vs bad guys fight, you should be able to give orders like "Watch out, I'm about to summon a tornado".

Secondly, I wish the choices were grey. I get that their focus group prompted them to make it more clear because that's what people like, but I really had a special moment during that cutscene towards the end wondering what the right choice would be. I didn't like the red or blue moment. Removing the karma system but maintaining choice would make every playthrough unique instead all blue or all red. We can mix and match the WE would like and not selecting choices the game wants us to to see a certain ending.

Irish

I don't know. I like the whole red/blue choice thing. It's very clear-cut. Now, I'm not saying it is right for all games, but it makes sense in inFamous.

Irish said:
I don't know. I like the whole red/blue choice thing. It's very clear-cut. Now, I'm not saying it is right for all games, but it makes sense in inFamous.
But the way it is might as well have just 2 play modes instead because the choices are superficial. No one's going to go back and forth because A, you'll never level up and B, you'd get dialog and an ending that doesn't correspond to your overall playstyle, just what you are at that point. I want it to be more dynamic.

Basically, after your first choice, the game should just make the decisions for you leaving out any choice because they don't matter.

Irish said:

I don't mind it when it's purely a gameplay thing like defusing bombs vs killing Cole protestors (although I do agree with MoonsaultSlayer about getting negative karma for killing civilians because they won't fuck off when you're trying to fight an ice titan being a pain in the arse) but ultimately I think attaching characters to those choices as overtly as Kuo/Nix worked against the game. It was incredibly jarring to have one of those story missions where you have a choice, choose Kuo, have Nix tell me that we are through and then she pops up again in the next one as though nothing had happened.

I do like the karma system as relates to sending you down different upgrade paths, but from a story perspective they really need to stop half-arsing it if they want it to be worthwhile.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Hopefully in a sequel, they abandon or tweak the karma system. Keep the choices though. That final decision had me all tense (in a good way) leading up to the decision... until they spell it out for you. "Der... Blue is good, Red is Baaaad".

I really don't lke playing hero mode and have to be conservative with my powers because of civilians. Sure, it evokes similar scenarios if one were a real life hero trying to protect civilians, but it drains the fun of a videogame.

My thoughts? First of all, civilians should RUN THE HELL AWAY from battles. Get out of your cars, stop trying to fist fight dudes with guns. RUN! There are crazy fireballs and lightning sparks flying everywhere. GET OUT OF THE WAY! If you do happen to zap someone, if you heal them, you do not get penalized. Leaving without doing so and you will. If you killed them, maybe a prompt over the body can allow you to mourn/ask forgiveness and you won't be penalized. But most importantly, they shouldn't be around. A game with melee that auto tracks anyone, civilian or not, should not penalize you for accidentally hitting a rebel instead of a monster. In a rebels vs bad guys fight, you should be able to give orders like "Watch out, I'm about to summon a tornado".

Secondly, I wish the choices were grey. I get that their focus group prompted them to make it more clear because that's what people like, but I really had a special moment during that cutscene towards the end wondering what the right choice would be. I didn't like the red or blue moment. Removing the karma system but maintaining choice would make every playthrough unique instead all blue or all red. We can mix and match the WE would like and not selecting choices the game wants us to to see a certain ending.
Is there a link to this?

Not that I'm doubting, I'm just writing an article about this sort of thing and am curious.

Jarmel

Banned
Honestly the red/blue system has ruined gaming. It's antiquated and doesn't allow for complex real life situations. Look at Mass Effect and the damage the Paragon/Renegade system caused in that universe. The sooner the good/evil system dies, the better.

Irish

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Basically, after your first choice, the game should just make the decisions for you leaving out any choice because they don't matter.

I actually agree.

With the way they have things set up now, there is no point in them making your choices obscure. They have to reboot the whole Karma system for that to work and I'm not saying I don't want that. Or, preferably, they actually make each choice matter like the ray sphere choice in the first one. I hated the fact that the entire story was neutral to make up for either path. I think I would prefer shorter campaigns overall where they are vastly different per side.

ShockingAlberto said:
Is there a link to this?

Not that I'm doubting, I'm just writing an article about this sort of thing and am curious.
Hmm, I dodn't remember where I read it but they used to say that it'd be more grey and then they back pedaled and stated that they found out that most people want the choices made clear. Maybe a magazine? I'll look but hopefully someone can step up and find it in the mean time.

Bowdz

msdstc said:
Well finished this up. Gotta say I was dissapointed. Definitely a lot better than I initially thought, which on the first few hours just didn't like the feel of it. I was surprised because I actually experienced quite a few glitches in this one including.

- Falling through the map several times.
- Bizarre issue where cole would walk in random directions trying to jump on something.
- the camera sticking in one place and literally wouldn't move. I had to run using the mini map and find water to kill cole and start over.
- Lots of issues with the crosshair. I'll line up shots perfect and it still misses often, which I don't understand.

Just a bunch of strange issues. As for the game itself I actually liked the side missions a lot better this time around. Less repetitive and none of that destroying surveilance stuff. Hated the Rocket guys, just a pain in the ass. Too powerful, too quick to react, too many. Also really didn't like the monsters, not only were they ridiculously easy, but it was just a stupid plot point. Weaker story than the first, but I actually enjoyed Zeke and Coles relationship more this time around.

I completely agree about the glitches. I was genuinely surprised to see as many glitches as I did just on my first playthrough. I had all of the glitches you listed and although glitches are to be expected in an open world game, these glitches seem to be a cut above the normal glitches in severity.

Overall, I felt pretty ambiguous about the game. I literally didn't feel anything for any of the characters in the game until the very end of the game (good ending). It seemed like the characters were just thrown in quickly without much explanation (like Nix and Quo) and major revelations were not clearly underlined (explanations about the Beast) which resulted in no real emotional impact when anything major occurred. Spoilers about Infamous 1 ahead:
Compare that to Infamous when I felt legitimate rage when Trish died, or when Zeke betrayed Cole, or whenever Kessler confronted Cole. SP did a better job with connecting the characters to the player in the first game which actually allowed to become invested in the story.
I also hated the way they glossed over the conflicts that carried over from the first game (Zeke specifically).

While I loved all of the music in the game, I thought that the implementation of the music was incredibly bad with it rarely being used to aid in emotional cutscenes or to emphasize plot points. This helped to push me away from caring about the story.The gamplay itself was incredible however and it really kept me coming back. I think SP nailed the flow of Cole across the city with the ice jump and the improved thrusters. I always felt like a superhero being able to bolt from destination to destination.

Overall, I thought the game suffered from SC2 syndrome: fantastic game design and poor story implementation (squandering a rich narrative opportunity).

Rengoku

Is there a way to check your playtime? I've been playing this game for over a week now, like an hour or two each day, I get the feeling I may have spent well over 10-12 hours so far, and I'm only about 3/4 through the main story.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I experienced no glitches through BOTH of my playthroughs. Admittedly I didn't do too many sidemissions.

Anyways, I just finished the evil run, and that ending felt so much more satisfying than the good one. :\

Good ending sucked really bad. Killed my enjoyment of the game a little. But I don't want to play as an evil character and the choice made was IMO the right one, so them's the breaks I guess.

The sudden Lucy heel turn was bullshit, though. I get she was scared to die was that was almost completely out of character with how she acted the entire rest of the game. I think they did it just so they could go "derp we're clever we switched the girls' positions in the karmic system".

inFAMOUS 3 is possible I guess (superheroes get revived all the time in comics) but still, that ending blows.

Great game overall, just marred a bit by the ending for me.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
AlphaDragoon said:
Good ending sucked really bad. Killed my enjoyment of the game a little. But I don't want to play as an evil character and the choice made was IMO the right one, so them's the breaks I guess.

The sudden Lucy heel turn was bullshit, though. I get she was scared to die was that was almost completely out of character with how she acted the entire rest of the game. I think they did it just so they could go "derp we're clever we switched the girls' positions in the karmic system".

Great game overall, just marred a bit by the ending for me.

Evil End "Sequence" Spoilers (but not ending spoilers):
Nix's turnaround was even more OOC and weird than Kuo's
...I was like "what?"

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Just finished this. I'll do a write up on it soon I think. Gameplay was fantastic, but I got a few bugs that were not so awesome. One being some weird sound bug where everyone echoed. Got kinda annoyed.

The story had some great moments, but in the end fell flat for me. I actually felt more connection with the characters when they were just acting silly. All the serious key points in the game were just uninteresting. It lacked that intensity that the game needed in those parts. Can't think of a better word for how I'm feeling about it right now. Going to let this game stir around in the noggin for a bit.

Top Bottom