• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFAMOUS 2 |OT| Think Twice

Luthos

Replaying it on evil, and if there's one thing in this game that is truly annoying... it's the number of people with RPGs. I mean sure, it makes for a lot of flashy explosions and stuff. But there's WAY way too many.

HankToms

Just beat the game, really fun gameplay. Story was not as good, but when gameplay is this fun, it didn't bother me too much. I beat it on good, so i'll be starting evil soon to try out those powers. I wonder if the story will be better, or if its not too much different than the good side.

I encountered a few bugs while I was playing. They are both in the 3rd area in case you don't want to be spoiled. First one shows an ice power somewhere in it.

The camera got stuck after one of the minibosses died. I was able to move, but the camera and aiming was fixed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihT3ss9VNuY

This one is some guy doing some exercising
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7BDRhGDUp4

Kyaw said:
Is it me or is the rockets so damn annoying?

I get killed by rockets at point black when i'm fighting close quarters... at least there are many checkpoints in the game.

try to listen for that rocketlauncher blast and use force push to send them back. this of course does not work if he is right next to you but then you should be melee'ing already :D

Mush

Noisepurge said:
try to listen for that rocketlauncher blast and use force push to send them back. this of course does not work if he is right next to you but then you should be melee'ing already :D
I think he means when you go to Amp them and they fire a rocket killing you instantly. I lost count how many times that happened to me.

edgefusion

Mush said:
I think he means when you go to Amp them and they fire a rocket killing you instantly. I lost count how many times that happened to me.

This is the number 1 way I died. Point blank rockets. Ugh, Sucker Punch why?

Questions about the overall plot:
Why did Kessler travel back in time, create the ray sphere, do a bunch of evil stuff to Cole and inevitably lead him to the ray sphere explosion on the dock which created The Beast? Where did The Beast come from in Kessler's timeline and how did Kessler get his powers?

Mush said:

I learned after the first time that happened to me that you should never try to charge at someone holding a rocket launcher. lol

Lince

Banned
finishing my 'inFamous" run on hard, definitely playing evil is a lot of fun since you can unleash chaos everywhere without caring about the bystanders, but I still prefer to play the 'nice' guy, anyway I'm still amazed with the AI of the ICE soldiers, they flank you and maneuver effectively to dodge your attacks, shit is intense. Amazing game.

edit: I agree with the 'RPG abuse' comments, that's why I never stand still or take cover for more than a couple of seconds, you can always retreat to a vantage point and land a precision headshot specially on those RPG soldiers on top of the roofs.

edgefusion said:

Why did Kessler travel back in time, create the ray sphere, do a bunch of evil stuff to Cole and inevitably lead him to the ray sphere explosion on the dock which created The Beast? Where did The Beast come from in Kessler's timeline and how did Kessler get his powers?

someone posted a theory earlier and I agree with him.
Raysphere are there just to speed things up. so even if Kessler haven't come back to mess with present time, Cole will still get his power eventually, and the beast will also appear eventually. also explained by the beast appearing sooner than expected because in this timeline, the beast is created earlier (because of raysphere)

edgefusion said:

John as the beast felt incredibly shoehorned in.

Anyway, pretty sure Kessler didn't create the ray sphere, he helped the first sons speed up the development of the ray sphere they were already working on.

This implies that a ray sphere is activated at some point in the future and explains how Kessler got his powers, but not the beast. The ray sphere in the first game malfunctions and disintegrates John, so unless that happens in the future as well, it's a pretty big plot hole. Maybe John isn't the same beast as the one in Kessler's future, it would be pretty cool if that beast makes an appearance in I3...if they make one.

In fact, they could make a third title based on Kessler's future, bring some closure to his story and put the series to sleep for a few years until the inevitable reboot on the PS4.

spidye

Callibretto said:
someone posted a theory earlier and I agree with him.
Raysphere are there just to speed things up. so even if Kessler haven't come back to mess with present time, Cole will still get his power eventually, and the beast will also appear eventually. also explained by the beast appearing sooner than expected because in this timeline, the beast is created earlier (because of raysphere)
it's not a theory. just watch the ending of infamous 1 again. that's exactly the reason.

Dunlop

Now that I am replaying on hard, I remember how annoying it was that enemies instantly know where you are when you hit their aggo range regardless of wheter you are in line of site....and its the same deal in part2

Truant

Ugh, I'm not enjoying this game at all. Loved the first, but a lot of what I liked is missing here. I loved the sort of weird characters in the first, the strange mountains of junk, the bizarre enemies in the red hoods, covered in plastic bags. Despite it's bland main cast, the world and enemies of the first were pretty colourful. This game just feels like a streamlined expansion. It doesn't feel like inFamous at all in terms of story, characters and the overall vibe.

Truant said:
Ugh, I'm not enjoying this game at all. Loved the first, but a lot of what I liked is missing here. I loved the sort of weird characters in the first, the strange mountains of junk, the bizarre enemies in the red hoods, covered in plastic bags. Despite it's bland main cast, the world and enemies of the first were pretty colourful. This game just feels like a streamlined expansion. It doesn't feel like inFamous at all in terms of story, characters and the overall vibe.
It will. Where are you?

Lince

Banned
inFamous 2 lost the 'surprise' factor of the original game, but if you really liked what the original offered there's absolutely no reason to not enjoy the sequel as it is much more polished and fun to play with the vastly improved combat mechanics. Story-wise... well, I'm too busy killing bad guys while jumping from rooftop to rooftop to think about what character makes perfect sense and who doesn't. Also people complaining about the lack of platforming? have you reached the second island yet?

I'm going to wait for a bit of a price drop for this, I think, reading this thread.

I love the first game, but it seems like a lot of my favourite elements from it haven't been focused on that much, or even scaled back. I'm sure it's still a good game, but I'm going to prevent myself from being too disappointed by scaling back expectations and then paying less for it.

Speedymanic said:

Anyway, pretty sure Kessler didn't create the ray sphere, he helped the first sons speed up the development of the ray sphere they were already working on.

This implies that a ray sphere is activated at some point in the future and explains how Kessler got his powers, but not the beast. The ray sphere in the first game malfunctions and disintegrates John, so unless that happens in the future as well, it's a pretty big plot hole. Maybe John isn't the same beast as the one in Kessler's future, it would be pretty cool if that beast makes an appearance in I3...if they make one.

In fact, they could make a third title based on Kessler's future, bring some closure to his story and put the series to sleep for a few years until the inevitable reboot on the PS4.

John as the beast is not shoehorned in, he was there when Cole tried to destroy the raysphere and he "disintegrated", the raysphere did not malfunction, more like it got completely spent, which might explain the extent of John's powers, John already had the conduit gene, being able to control his body at a molecular level was one of John's powers.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Speedymanic said:

Kessler mentions
speeding up the Ray Sphere development, so it probably did exist in his time at some point, but I'm pretty sure the point was that Conduits will develop their powers eventually on their own, and Kessler ran instead of fighting the Beast, which hunted him down for years and became too powerful for him to fight which is why he came back in time.

As I posted a few pages back, assuming John is the same beast, then why did it hunt Kessler down in his time line but in this one only want Coles help, and if you see the Evil ending John didn't even like doing it and wanted to give Cole his powers to finish the job because he was tired of killing people.
So assuming the Ray Sphere didn't create a disease in Kesslers timeline, and he sure doesn't mention anything about it, the "original" Beast would have had different motives.

Kessler also says to John in a dead drop that he has a destiny which I thought was odd, which is why I wonder if John was really the Beast Kessler foretold, if he knew what John would become why not just kill him before he had any abilities?

Chaplain

The biggest problem with the game so far is the story. The story is not as good as Infamous one. I do not feel connected with Cole like I do with Drake in Uncharted. Everything else works really well for me because the gameplay has always been solid.

What I am hoping for is that for the next game (I am assuming PS Vita) Sucker Punch highers someone like Amy Hennig to write the story.

MalboroRed said:
John as the beast is not shoehorned in, he was there when Cole tried to destroy the raysphere and he "disintegrated", the raysphere did not malfunction, more like it got completely spent, which might explain the extent of John's powers, John already had the conduit gene, being able to control his body at a molecular level was one of John's powers.

It honestly did feel like he was.

If John was the beast and Kessler knew, why didn't he just kill him and allow Cole to live his life with Trish, etc? It also doesn't explain John's motives if you choose the evil ending either, which I won't spoil just in case you haven't played it through as evil Cole.

I wouldn't be surprise if a third title features the real beast as John didn't really fit the role of the beast that Kessler talks about in the first game.

Game Analyst said:
The biggest problem with the game so far is the story. The story is not as good as Infamous one. I do not feel connected with Cole like I do with Drake in Uncharted. Everything else works really well for me because the gameplay has always been solid.

What I am hoping for is that for the next game (I am assuming PS Vita) Sucker Punch highers someone like Amy Hennig to write the story.

second unappealing character named cole i've played as this year - is this one of those things that happens in 3s?...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think I'm just not getting it. Cole's health depletes so fast and the enemies take so many hits. What happened?

Also Nix sucks. What is with everyone being a freak now?

Y2Kev said:
I think I'm just not getting it. Cole's health depletes so fast and the enemies take so many hits. What happened?

I really thought the enemies went down faster in I2. Cole does die faster but I think that's directly a result of the enemies not having the accuracy of the first game. I honestly though it was much easier than 1 on hard. Maybe use of the upgraded powers is the best suggestion. I used the skull bolt most of the time and it was really effective. The last evil bolt just dominates so try that when you can.

Y2Kev said:

Enemies and how damage they can take is roughly the same as it was in the first title. It's just now you're weaker thanks to the primary weapon using batteries. (very annoyed that they changed it, it's not like the standard bolt was overpowered, they should have kept the standard bolt as it was in the first title and had other other bolts use batteries.)

The freaks will be explained, just keep playing.

Y2Kev

BobTheFork said:
I really thought the enemies went down faster in I2. Cole does die faster but I think that's directly a result of the enemies not having the accuracy of the first game. I honestly though it was much easier than 1 on hard. Maybe use of the upgraded powers is the best suggestion. I used the skull bolt most of the time and it was really effective. The last evil bolt just dominates so try that when you can.
I just think, at least so far, that they've shifted the focus from platforming to shooting. Well, it was never entirely there, but it was there in larger part. The underground sewer bits were my favorite part. And now it's Tesla Missiles?

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Is it just me or is the sound mixing pretty terrible?
I'm playing on 5.1 system using optical out and I can barely hear any soundtracks or ambient noise.
The only noise to be heard is the sound of Cole running for lots of the game.

Y2Kev said:
I just think, at least so far, that they've shifted the focus from platforming to shooting. Well, it was never entirely there, but it was there in larger part. The underground sewer bits were my favorite part. And now it's Tesla Missiles?
I was never a fan of those underground power segments. I think 'flying' the missile is a big cheesy but I love standing on the new transformer and blasting everything like a crazy man. I feel like they kept the platforming element but shifted how you experience it. The platforming segments aren't separated from the main gameplay this time. You used to sort of leave the regular game and go into the sewer for a few minutes for some gameplay that wasn't really like the rest of the game. Instead now they made flood town to make it more integrated;I'm not sure how well it works but I really liked Floodtown. You have to contend with more enemies while platforming now as well, so you may not get that enjoyment of taking a break and enjoying climbing up the prison or that garbage tower.

Zabka

Speedymanic said:
Enemies and how damage they can take is roughly the same as it was in the first title. It's just now you're weaker thanks to the primary weapon using batteries. (very annoyed that they changed it, it's not like the standard bolt was overpowered, they should have kept the standard bolt as it was in the first title and had other other bolts use batteries.)

The freaks will be explained, just keep playing.
You could purchase damage reduction upgrades in I1. Also the shield was much more useful.

And I think the main bolt weapon on the good side would regen health when it hit too.

Thrakier

Lince said:
inFamous 2 lost the 'surprise' factor of the original game, but if you really liked what the original offered there's absolutely no reason to not enjoy the sequel as it is much more polished and fun to play with the vastly improved combat mechanics. Story-wise... well, I'm too busy killing bad guys while jumping from rooftop to rooftop to think about what character makes perfect sense and who doesn't. Also people complaining about the lack of platforming? have you reached the second island yet?

Since you are an expert and a fine gentleman, I'm asking you: Is the XP pop up stuff on the left side gone? It wasn't there in the demo. I want my headshocks! :(

User created content generates so much garbage... :/
It seemed like a good idea at the beginning but people are not game designers and I feel overwelmed with missions created for the single purpose of getting the attached trophy... Unbalanced shit, unexplained sequences, failed triggers and many bugs (even in Sucker Punch's ugc). Really off putting...

Maybe it's too soon?

BeeDog

Thrakier said:
Since you are an expert and a fine gentleman, I'm asking you: Is the XP pop up stuff on the left side gone? It wasn't there in the demo. I want my headshocks! :(

No, it's not gone.

Lince

Banned
navanman said:
Is it just me or is the sound mixing pretty terrible?
I'm playing on 5.1 system using optical out and I can barely hear any soundtracks or ambient noise.
The only noise to be heard is the sound of Cole running for lots of the game.

I'm using 5.1 headphones (standard config, it has like a million settings but if it works...) and I never suffered from the 'silent city' issue discussed here multiple times. Maybe they need to patch some sound config menu to fine tune the front/rear/center speakers' levels.

Thrakier said:

not gone, if you play aiming for the heads, sticking grenades, redirecting rockets and pushing enemies off roofs and striking them again while they fall (preferably all of this at the same time lol) I guarantee you'll get a lot of popping up XP stuff and all your powers unlocked in no time :D

roxya

Well I finished it. Main thing I didn't like was the bigger enemies. I could deal with them fine with grenades, but... none of them are even remotely fun to engage, they're just energy sinks.

BrainZEROX said:
User created content generates so much garbage... :/
It seemed like a good idea at the beginning but people are not game designers and I feel overwelmed with missions created for the single purpose of getting the attached trophy... Unbalanced shit, unexplained sequences, failed triggers and many bugs (even in Sucker Punch's ugc). Really off putting...

Maybe it's too soon?

It's definitely too soon. I gave up playing the UGC after the ring mission from SP kept bugging out, I'm sure if we come back to it in a few weeks/months, there will be loads of really good missions.

Lince

Banned
roxya said:
Well I finished it. Main thing I didn't like was the bigger enemies. I could deal with them fine with grenades, but... none of them are even remotely fun to engage, they're just energy sinks.

have you tried to fight them while hanging from a high ledge or ambush them? if you play conservative just rolling and throwing grenades at them then it becomes a chore... the game gives you plenty of tools to experiment with, don't be afraid to use them.

Just went back to play inFamous 1 and sewers are definitely more fun than Tesla missile missions. Getting a new power an then using it in the sewer, killing some enemies mixed in with some platforming is much better than a overly hectic fight with enemies coming from all sides.

Also man they should have kept the sound that came up when you killed an enemy or any other time you got XP.

Hixx

upJTboogie said:
Just went back to play inFamous 1 and sewers are definitely more fun than Tesla missile missions. Getting a new power an then using it in the sewer, killing some enemies mixed in with some platforming is much better than a overly hectic fight with enemies coming from all sides.

Also man they should have kept the sound that came up when you killed an enemy or any other time you got XP.

The Tesla missions are probably the worst thing in the game. They get easier when you get your Ionic powers but sometimes it just feels like pot luck on hard. They were either pointlessly easy or tediously difficult.

Y2Kev

And I have Improved Thrusters back now and everything is right with the world. Nerfing traversal = dumb

Lince

Banned
Y2Kev said:
And I have Improved Thrusters back now and everything is right with the world. Nerfing traversal = dumb

how has the traversal been nerfed? you have 'launching poles' and a couple of powers now to help making traversal even faster. I felt that I was climbing too much in Infamous 1 but in the sequel I spend more time 'in the air' and landing exactly where I want.

Y2Kev said:
The feeling that traversal has been nerfed actually has a lot to do with the level design. Just wait for the third major area of the game because it's PLATFORMING HEAVEN.

Lince said:
have you tried to fight them while hanging from a high ledge or ambush them? if you play conservative just rolling and throwing grenades at them then it becomes a chore... the game gives you plenty of tools to experiment with, don't be afraid to use them.
If you try to do any traversal while fighting a Devourer or Ice Giant you will get hit, it is unavoidable.

Their stupid, cheap, ice-balls and green goo can follow you anywhere and you will get hit by at least one. In both of my playthroughs I tried every action to not get hit with those and it does not work. Running straight or zig-zag: hit. Climbing: hit. Rolling: hit. Jumping/Ice Launching: hit. Any combination: hit.

The giant enemies are the cheapest and most unfun to fight and always devolved into the same thing: Get to a vantage point with a recharging energy source where the ice-balls/green goo can't hit you and spam as many grenades/missiles as possible between their attacks.

Terribly designed enemies.

Atruvius

I have made mission called Ultimate Mayhem. It's not that special, just kill everythin that moves. It already has 4 stars and 10 people have favourited it.
It's on the second island, right side of the bridge near the cranes.

What are the best user made levels you guys have played?

Jarmel

Banned
The Ice enemies are indeed the worst part of the game especially the damn Crushers. Melee and half your powers are essentially useless.

Top Bottom