• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFAMOUS 2 |OT| Think Twice

CatPee

Dedication Through Light said:
Finally finished Infamous 1, now to finally boot this up since Ive had it since release date. I hope much is improved graphically and soundwise (no more angry females, please) and for an equally mind blowing ending.

The endings are pretty mind-blowing, yea. And females are much easier on the eyes now. ;)

Kuo <3

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Dedication Through Light said:
Wow its almost like night and day between the first and second game coming back to back. The improved visuals and sound, the attention to detail, the voice acting and cinematics, and even the blurring and speed. Im just running through it now, but Im probably definitely going to come back to it in the future to get a platinum I think. Its amazing, just an hour in.

I know how you feel, i went back to infamous 1 after downloading it free on psn and it is definitely night and day with the graphics.

TTG

Mild early Kuo vs Nix spoilers, looking for some advice:

So now that I've unlocked ice jump, there's an opportunity to go to Nix's side again on the second island. Is it worth it to go to the evil option now? I've already unlocked all the "good" side powers and ice jump, is there anything worthwhile I can pick up on Nix's side? Or is that a lost cause now?

Also, getting 3 direct hits with the rocket blows. That shit spirals and always manages to hit something next to a bad guy, I haven't gotten a single hit.

CatPee

TTG said:
Mild early Kuo vs Nix spoilers, looking for some advice:

So now that I've unlocked ice jump, there's an opportunity to go to Nix's side again on the second island. Is it worth it to go to the evil option now? I've already unlocked all the "good" side powers and ice jump, is there anything worthwhile I can pick up on Nix's side? Or is that a lost cause now?

Also, getting 3 direct hits with the rocket blows. That shit spirals and always manages to hit something next to a bad guy, I haven't gotten a single hit.

Check your map, look for a group of enemies, sneak up on them, aim, and launch away. It's notable that you launch rockets twice as fast when in a climbing or balancing position, so try that.

Replicant

Is it worth getting this if the first one annoys me to no end? I mean I like Cole as a protagonist and his power. But the gameplay was repetitive, the enemies were over-powered even though they're just henchmen, and it had awful implementation of checkpoints and game save. Did any of these issues get solved in the sequel?

confuziz

Banned
Replicant said:
Is it worth getting this if the first one annoys me to no end? I mean I like Cole as a protagonist and his power. But the gameplay was repetitive, the enemies were over-powered even though they're just henchmen, and it has awful implementation of checkpoints and game save. Did any of these issues get solved in the sequel?

what? That was never an issue. You save wherever you want to save (not in the mission itself ofcourse)

Replicant

confuziz said:
what? That was never an issue. You save wherever you want to save (not in the mission itself ofcourse)
I refer to the problem of the game throwing you back at what it thinks is your last checkpoint even when you already in another area. Not to mention the ridiculous mid-mission checkpoint.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Replicant said:
I refer to the problem of the game throwing you back at what it thinks is your last checkpoint even when you already in another area. Not to mention the ridiculous mid-mission checkpoint.
Mid-mission checkpoints have been ridiculously generous to me, but perhaps I haven't encountered the same stuff that you have.

I love the game, it's just a nice step up from I1.

I do keep getting a bug on one of the medical crate side missions though - when I fire the crate to the torch the screen goes black and the mission restarts... am I doing something wrong?

Duki

Banned
thetrin said:
Mid-mission checkpoints have been ridiculously generous to me, but perhaps I haven't encountered the same stuff that you have.
i think he means the godawful tendency for the game to put you at a medical clinic ten miles away from where you died

like you die right as you were going to reach a quest starting marker

boom now youre three islands away eat shit asshole

first game just keept fuckin me like this

Duki said:
i think he means the godawful tendency for the game to put you at a medical clinic ten miles away from where you died

like you die right as you were going to reach a quest starting marker

boom now youre three islands away eat shit asshole

first game just keept fuckin me like this

The solution is to find the side-mission to liberate the clinic at each island.

Or just don't die ;)
Easier said than done, I know :p

HunkyDory

Neo Member
Replicant said:
Is it worth getting this if the first one annoys me to no end? I mean I like Cole as a protagonist and his power. But the gameplay was repetitive, the enemies were over-powered even though they're just henchmen, and it had awful implementation of checkpoints and game save. Did any of these issues get solved in the sequel?

It's definitely worth checking out; it sounds like we might have had similar opinions on the first game. I liked the premise of the original but found the actual game to be boring and frustrating in places. The controls are tighter this time around, there's more variety in the missions and enemies and you don't have people sniping you from across the screen every 10 seconds...

Cole feels much more like a superhero in this game as well. Besides the climbing, I thought Infamous was pretty much just a third person shooter. The sequel improves on that aspect leaps and bounds although it's hard to really explain why without spoiling stuff.

I only rented it, but I'll definitely be buying it!

Duki

Banned
OneMoreQuestion said:
The solution is to find the side-mission to liberate the clinic at each island.
even doing this doesnt help

ive literally had enemies kill me a few feet away from a clinic and a quest marker and no dice, the games like lol youre respawning where i want you to

just have to smh sometimes

at least theres trains in the first

K.Sabot

Wow what the fuck,
The ending is so fucking stupid, the completely out of character turn around had me flashing back to Dragon Age 2... which this game's story is starting to remind me of.

Jrmint

So in my good play through I just finished the mission where you pick Kuo or Nix after Storming the Fort. I know I've read a bunch here that people say the good powers are so much better than Evil, but at this point I am not really agreeing.

-Stream Bolt is nice, but Skull Bolt + Electrocutes others around is better I think.
-Ice Grenade is a joke, sure I still have Sticky Grenade, but I'd like a new one. Guess I have to wait for the final grenade upgrade.
-Graviton Blast is a joke, I don't know if I even want to waste my XP on Ice Blast.
-The Ionic Ice Storm I'm sure isn't better than the AoE drain spell.
-I can't imagine the final level of good missiles, will be better than the Evil ones.

The only thing that seems better is the Ice Jump, which is nice, but doesn't make everything else worth it.

Please enlighten me as to what makes the good powers so much better, other than Ice Jump.

Irish

Jrmint said:
So in my good play through I just finished the mission where you pick Kuo or Nix after Storming the Fort. I know I've read a bunch here that people say the good powers are so much better than Evil, but at this point I am not really agreeing.

-Stream Bolt is nice, but Skull Bolt + Electrocutes others around is better I think.
-Ice Grenade is a joke, sure I still have Sticky Grenade, but I'd like a new one. Guess I have to wait for the final grenade upgrade.
-Graviton Blast is a joke, I don't know if I even want to waste my XP on Ice Blast.
-I can't imagine the final level of good missiles, will be better than the Evil ones.

The only thing that seems better is the Ice Jump, which is nice, but doesn't make everything else worth it.

Please enlighten me as to what makes the good powers so much better, other than Ice Jump.

Graviton Blast was great, especially when on rooftops. The Ice Blast is awesome as well. I preferred most of the evil powers though. Still, the Ice Jump really does make everything else worth it. Getting around without it is a huge pain in the ass.

Replicant

HunkyDory said:
It's definitely worth checking out; it sounds like we might have had similar opinions on the first game. I liked the premise of the original but found the actual game to be boring and frustrating in places. The controls are tighter this time around, there's more variety in the missions and enemies and you don't have people sniping you from across the screen every 10 seconds...

Cole feels much more like a superhero in this game as well. Besides the climbing, I thought Infamous was pretty much just a third person shooter. The sequel improves on that aspect leaps and bounds although it's hard to really explain why without spoiling stuff.

I only rented it, but I'll definitely be buying it!
Thank you! I will probably rent it first although it's tempting to just buy it since it's discounted at my local game shop atm.

edgefusion

Jrmint said:

Good powers aren't better than Evil powers but people get blinded by the majesty of Ice Launch which is so useful and so much better than Firebird Strike (which is a total missed opportunity). I did not personally find Ice Blast all that great.

Finished the game for the second time. The evil ending was much more epic :D

And the game is pretty short on the second time around when you know what to do and just teleport to mission markers without traveling. Maybe 10 hours at the absolute max.

But i recommend for the first time to either pick the evil side or the good side on all opportunities and enjoy the game freely. Don't stress about shards and sidemissions, you'll have plenty of time to get them all in the endgame.

Duki said:
even doing this doesnt help

ive literally had enemies kill me a few feet away from a clinic and a quest marker and no dice, the games like lol youre respawning where i want you to

just have to smh sometimes

at least theres trains in the first

Here's a pro-tip:

- make sure UGC is on

- go to UGC menu and create empty mission

- set your marker in the world where you need to be.

- press X --> exit UGC in the radial menu

- you magically spawned at the marker!

Shit saved me a ton of time while cleaning up the game for the platinum. You can also cheat the Back to the Bayou trophy this way if you want it early

Hi guys I was wondering, I finished the game as Evil and now it is asking me about doing the other ending. Do I need to start a whole new game for this (in order to pick the stuff I did not pick) or do I just need to grind up to good? If both work which one is needed to unlock the special NG+ mode?

Also Evil Ending spoilers

It kicks me that they swap Nix + Kuo around for the final choice, I really wanted to kill that whiny bitch.

Just finished and it was a great game, going to start my evil run now on hard. If you enjoyed the first game, don't hesitate to play this one too.

X-Frame

How or where do you unlock the special additions like the Reaper Skin?

My brother and I split this game so he bought it and all I see is the Lightning Hook code on the GameStop receipt but nothing about the pre-order items.

EDIT: Nvm, found them in the options menu. Reaper skin is awesome.

Kyaw

Just finished the game.

The ending for the good karma was very anti-climatic.
And i don't think he's dead either. The end boss was also very easy. Seriously, so much easier compared to Kessler from the first game.

I want more! :(
Evil path seems a lot more powerful but shit's just way too evil. (i watched the evil ending on youtube)

Also i think i liked and enjoyed the first game more than the second.
The platforming was more enjoyable and the choices are quite difficult.
I do like the new and more badass powers though.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Just picked this game today after trading in some titles. Concerned that my lack of inFamous 1 play time is going to hurt my enjoyment of the sequel.

Should I finish inFamous 1 before embarking on this one?

glaurung

Chiggs said:
Just picked this game today after trading in some titles. Concerned that my lack of inFamous 1 play time is going to hurt my enjoyment of the sequel.

Nah, you will get some story spoilers regarding the first game, but I never got around to finish the first game and I found the second one to be a superior experience nonetheless.

And if you go back and play the first one, you will still learn some neat stuff (albeit in the very end of the first game).

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Chiggs said:

Finish 1 for the story. The gameplay essentially feels the same except there are a lot more cheap shots in this game than the first. Also this game is graphically superior. Essentially I feel like it took them 2 years to make the graphics better. Overall it's the sameold stuff.

Finished the Hard + Evil run today, only UGC trophies left.

Overall, I liked it, but the encounters and bullshit enemies took the fun out of some missions for me. The Ice Crushers can go die in a fire.

I felt like they tried to make it bigger than it really was...and not killing
Bertrand in human form
was a waste opp.

After I get the plat, I'll check it out every now and then, but I liked the first one just a bit more--the encounters were better designed, and Kessler was a better villain. Bertrand was just a hypocrite,
John
just felt off, especially in the Evil ending.

Bring on some DLC, that extra space under the Trophies section has me curious.

kayos90

Boombloxer said:
Finished the Hard + Evil run today, only UGC trophies left.

Overall, I liked it, but the encounters and bullshit enemies took the fun out of some missions for me. The Ice Crushers can go die in a fire.

I felt like they tried to make it bigger than it really was...and not killing
Bertrand in human form
was a waste opp.

After I get the plat, I'll check it out every now and then, but I liked the first one just a bit more--the encounters were better designed, and Kessler was a better villain. Bertrand was just a hypocrite,
John
just felt off, especially in the Evil ending.

Bring on some DLC, that extra space under the Trophies section has me curious.
I definitely felt that the story in this game was underwhelming compared to the first. The enemies were definitely not as diverse and just got flat out annoying. I personally miss the conduits from the first game. All of the stupid infected creatures can go die in a fire for all I care.

kayos90 said:
I definitely felt that the story in this game was underwhelming compared to the first. The enemies were definitely not as diverse and just got flat out annoying. I personally miss the conduits from the first game. All of the stupid infected creatures can go die in a fire for all I care.

Oh yes.

In fact, let's play a game everyone:

"The __________ were the most annoying enemies in Infamous 2."

Ice Crushers get my vote.

Boombloxer said:
Oh yes.

Ice Golem get's my vote, followed by the giant shelled creature.

kayos90

upJTboogie said:
Ice Golem get's my vote, followed by the giant shelled creature.
You guys mean the Ice Conduit's right? Not the Titans. The ones that have faces. Those things were annoying as freaking crap. I thought one was annoying but when they made you fight more than one? Shit.... So bad...

Rengoku

I found the Ice Golems easier than the giant shelled creatures. I had issues with the shelled creatures when there were no cars in the area to throw around.

Boombloxer said:
Oh yes.

Hm.

In terms of pure volume, RPG Militia.

In terms of pure annoyance while they were around, the ice guys (the Crushers?) that were Cole's size but constantly zoom off camera and hit you with ice while you are just trying to see him so you can shoot him.

Kyaw

Rengoku said:
I found the Ice Golems easier than the giant shelled creatures. I had issues with the shelled creatures when there were no cars in the area to throw around.

Detonation blasts dude. Works very well.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Ravagers are the worst. Until Cole unlocks all the powers the only way to beat them is with gravity gun or melee. Throwing objects takes too long and gets you charged/spat at and melee often gets you glitched through the ground for instant death.

Boombloxer said:
Oh yes.

Ravagers were such a nuisance to beat because I would always want to go for melee and none of my lightning attacks really worked at first. This was A) Before I got the rockets, and B) Before I remembered I could throw cars around.

Devourers and Ravagers both got worse for me on my Evil Karma run on Hard difficulty, because that's when they tweak it so all of the mucus attacks TRACK YOUR LOCATION AND HOME IN ON YOU. Also, the weird glitch-like situations where the Ravagers would sort of rear up and then land on you, but it wouldn't look right in terms of the animation but the game registers it as a death anyway? That's the worst, especially when that happens with a random car that just flies by.

kayos90

Anything that sends you flying or knocks you back was freaking annoying. Any enemy that did that got put on my hate list. Wait, that's like more than half the freaking enemies in the game.

Balphon

Ravagers never took more than 6-8 sticky grenades for me, even on hard. Was even faster with the evil double grenade.

Crushers, on the other hand, sucked.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Balphon said:
Ravagers never took more than 6-8 sticky grenades for me, even on hard. Was even faster with the evil double grenade.

Crushers, on the other hand, sucked.
Sticky grenades never attached to Ravagers for me. They just bounced off and did no damage on detonation. Only ice grenades and any kind of rocket worked.

kayos90

Thnikkaman said:
Sticky grenades never attached to Ravagers for me. They just bounced off and did no damage on detonation. Only ice grenades and any kind of rocket worked.
Did you equip the sticky grenades? I hate it how the freaking sticky is karma specific now.

I get kind of annoyed when I attach a grenade to a Ravager, but he dives underground before it explodes.

The health bar shows up, but he doesn't take damage.

Sometimes he'll show up just long enough to get grenades on him, then dive back underground mitigating all damage.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
kayos90 said:
Did you equip the sticky grenades? I hate it how the freaking sticky is karma specific now.
As far as I know I did. Whenever I tried to attach stickies to the Ravagers the exoskeleton stopped it?

Hell, I probably just missed because of the weird grenade arc.

Balphon

Thnikkaman said:

I'm pretty sure they stick, and I'm positive they do damage on detonation. But again, they're not as good (against ravagers, anyway) as the double grenade.

Top Bottom