• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFAMOUS 2 |OT| Think Twice

Massa

Onion_Relish said:
Hey there friends, I didnt necessarily want to make a new topic, but i did some snooping and I think I might not have been the only one that this has happened to.

I got Infamous 2, for free.

Let me set the scene. I downloaded the free trial, then half way through said fuck it and started playing resonance of fate instead. Now, for whatever reason I decided to go through my download history and what do i see before my eyes? A 15 gig version of infamous 2 that i have supposedly downloaded. I thought, that can't be right. I am not wily nily with my purchases at all. Surely I would remember blowing 65 bucks on a game?

Then I notice that the trial isnt showing up in my download history. I take a look at the infamous 2 game page and sure enough it has the red bag over the trial and the game! I googled and one or two other places have mentioned this, but i wanted to know if gaf has this experience. I feel guilty now, is there someone i should or could contact? not sure what to do here ...

That's how it shows up until the trial expires, you basically own the game but can only play for 60 minutes. I know because I tried to buy it after downloading the trial and couldn't; I had to wait until the 60 minutes were up, then I got kicked out of the game (of course) and it showed up as a purchasable item on the Store again.

Massa said:
That's how it shows up until the trial expires, you basically own the game but can only play for 60 minutes. I know because I tried to buy it after downloading the trial and couldn't; I had to wait until the 60 minutes were up, then I got kicked out of the game (of course) and it showed up as a purchasable item on the Store again.

oh neat ok. I didnt want to steal from the guys who made it, infamous one was pretty good :) wasnt really feeling the need to play the second one. Maybe i'll change my mind after this? who knows, i do need something to play now...

Andvary

This game looks awesome, much better than the first inFamous, I can't believe Brad from GB said they looked almost the same, what's wrong with those guys?

Andvary said:
This game looks awesome, much better than the first inFamous, I can't believe Brad from GB said they looked almost the same, what's wrong with those guys?

What?! What game was he playing. I immediately jumped from inFAMOUS to inFAMOUS2 and the visual upgrade was as bright as day. More detail in cutscenes, improved lighting and blurring effects.

BladeoftheImmortal said:
I finished this game last week and the only thing that I really dislike is that you don't get an upgrade after finishing the game...I miss my black lightning :(

If you beat the game a second time you'll unlock the powers from the opposite path too.

BladeoftheImmortal said:
That's kinda cool, but it ain't black lightning cool.

black lighting was neat for the TRUE evil path in infamous 1 ..shame it isn't there ..

QUESTION : i know about the blue soundtrack for infamous 2 but can i expect a RED soundtrack ? if so WHEN ?

does anyone knows ?

R_thanatos said:
black lighting was neat for the TRUE evil path in infamous 1 ..shame it isn't there ..

QUESTION : i know about the blue soundtrack for infamous 2 but can i expect a RED soundtrack ? if so WHEN ?

does anyone knows ?

The Red one is on the PSN, I thought, well I got it in the Hero Edition.

Toki767

Just platinumed this. Overall very enjoyable game. I know the game is easier than the first one, but I really felt like the pacing was much better. Interested to see if they make an Infamous 3 considering how both endings played out.

Radec

I think it would be nice in inFamous 3 if what you did on the first playthrough reflects on what will happen on your 2nd playthrough.

Like some sort of time-travel like Kezzler used.

:D

The very first inFAMOUS 2 User-Generated Content Pack is available now on the Playstation Network, and it’s completely free! In the coming weeks and months, we will be releasing more free content updates that will add new objects to User Generated Content (UGC). In this first of many UGC updates, you’ll gain access to a number of vehicles from the single-player missions of inFAMOUS 2: Bertrand’s Limo, Bertrand’s Semi-Truck, the New Marais Police Car, the Ambulance, and a bike. Heal injured pedestrians from the flipped over ambulance and protect them from the swarm of enemies. Help the New Marais Police department from incoming attack from the Vermaak 88 Ice Soldiers. Or hunt down that pesky bicycle thief.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...es-pack-search-function-available-now-on-psn/

gioGAF

I'm about half-way through the story on my good playthrough of InFamous 2. So far, I have mixed feelings.

I feel the game looks much better. IQ and performance have definitely been improved. There have also been improvements to traversal (vertical poles, car hop and the best thing so far about this game: Ice Jump!).

BUT, unless I'm fully blinded by nostalgia for InFamous 1, I'm having a tough time with several aspects of this game:
- The de-powering of Cole: I'm not even referring to the customary "God of War" crap at the beginning of the game (which could have certainly been done better). I'm referring to how you feel weaker than you did in InFamous 1. I felt like a bad-ass in InFamous 1, here I feel like a wimp, you constantly have to run away and refill. The idea that your basic bolt depletes you is stupid. I know the depletion is addressed with an upgrade, but it is still lame.

- The "zoom" when you target: Wow! Who the hell came up with this? Let's have the camera zoom in so you can't see where you or your enemies are! I think this is the single most annoying new aspect of this game. I get ANGRY just thinking about it. BTW, is my roll (evade move: O) crappier in this game or is it just the zoom making it worse.

- Power upgrades: Before, you got a power and you upgraded it throughout the game. It became better, with multiple effects. Now you get one, then a variation, then another variation. You end up with a crappier power because you can only choose 1 at a time. It is a pain to switch mid-combat. Before, I had a kick-ass shockwave (Float, +Force, +Range) by end game. Now I get to choose 1 version at a time. LAME!!! I'm also not crazy about the "mixing", I'm supposed to be the "electric" man.

- Story: Like I said, I'm almost done with my good playthrough, and so far it has been MEH. I do hope it gets better, but I don't see how it can even come close to InFamous 1 :-(

I feel like something went wrong with the development of this game. Was Sucker Punch given enough time? Did Sucker Punch no longer care and just wanted to get it done so they can move on to their next project? Did the whole UGC feature divert valuable resources from delivering a truly AAA experience?

I really felt like the original InFamous was an amazing experience. I was hoping lightning could strike twice :-(

Pretty much mirrors my own complaints. I mean, the 'final' powers you get are pretty clearly more powerful than what you had in inFamous 1, but that feeling of progression isn't there (and, sometimes, spending experience on more than one power at a given 'level' is a total waste of your time).

I've said this elsewhere, but I think a great compromise would've been to have these power varieties, but also to give each power set some automatic upgrades with your moral status (so, to take your example, *every* shockwave would get a float/force/range upgrade, but you could still have the flexibility of choosing between a few different types).

That sense of genuinely layered progression needs to come back, and the damage resistance upgrades and the automatic-charging-while-grinding from the first game are sorely missing too.

gioGAF

That sense of genuinely layered progression needs to come back, and the damage resistance upgrades and the automatic-charging-while-grinding from the first game are sorely missing too.

COMPLETELY agree! The rail-grinding nerf is inexplicable and the damage resistance omission is also annoying. It falls directly in the de-powering of Cole. You are a wimp, a couple of dudes with guns could take you out if you are not careful. Hardly awe-inspiring.

wouwie

Don't know what's happening with me but playing this for the first couple of hours left me completely indifferent and without the drive to continue. I loved the original game but this seems nothing more than going from mission to mission without any interesting story. The mood doesn't seem as dark as I1 anymore and the enemies made a lot more comic book sense in I1 compared to this boring militia and monsters. Also, i miss Cole's original voice and look. I miss the dark atmosphere and the struggle of the main character with himself. This new Cole seems just a dude that want to become mega hero powerful to beat a mega monster boss. Also, not fond of the new power upgrade system with the stunts.

For me, they took out most of the things that made the first one so great. This feels like "an uninspired normal day super hero go from mission to mission" kind of game. And even the great gameplay doesn't seem that great anymore as you travel long distances to go from one mission to the other doing similar stuff.

I need to give this a second try in a couple of weeks. Never expected to be so indifferent towards it.

When Sucker Punch announced the redesign of the hero, it felt like they never really had understood what made the first one so good. And by playing the game, i feel that is the case.

badcrumble said:
More than anything else I'd love to see a content pack that includes enemies from inFamous 1.
Well the kessler remakes would be epic ..

i'm glad the SP is supporting infamous 2.

When i finished infamosu 1 and cleared the city ( no more missions ) i was left with a giant park conquered ... now there are always new things to try ..

UGC is so much better than weird multiplayer ...

Reckoner

Finished the first game yesterday. Great experience.
Started the second one today and... god. Was I the only one who thought next gen came all of a sudden? The art style is just gorgeous, something I saw as just interesting in the first game, gameplay is super refined, animations just got a lot better and varied... Oh, and the color palette makes it feel like Nathan Drake visited Cole and left his mark.

Sucker Punch was a great producer but it looks like they evolved a lotty lot since they first put their hands on the Ps3. I'm in love with this series. The first one had its flaws, this one seems to put a end on those and make everything better and even more enjoyable.

NinjaBoiX

I have a digital copy, and just tried to play it. It asked for a 10mb update (preperation for upcoming DLC I assumed) and then told me, with words to the effect of, "This content is corrupt and must be deleted. Reinstall the game and try again."

FUCK! 15 fucking gigabytes! It took like three days before. So annoying!

Anyone know what this update is? After the message, it kicked me back to the XMB, I went to reload it, and the name had changed to inFamous 2 (digital), it never had the "(digital)" part before. So I tried it only to get the same message.

So I'm downloading it again, and will ignore this update. I would advise you to do the same.

finished good ending.

so no infamous 3 huh?

Ill hand it to sucker punch if they wanted to end it they sure did... I wounder whats next for them.

Massa

-NinjaBoiX- said:
I have a digital copy, and just tried to play it. It asked for a 10mb update (preperation for upcoming DLC I assumed) and then told me, with words to the effect of, "This content is corrupt and must be deleted. Reinstall the game and try again."

FUCK! 15 fucking gigabytes! It took like three days before. So annoying!

Anyone know what this update is? After the message, it kicked me back to the XMB, I went to reload it, and the name had changed to inFamous 2 (digital), it never had the "(digital)" part before. So I tried it only to get the same message.

So I'm downloading it again, and will ignore this update. I would advise you to do the same.

Hum, my copy always said (Digital). I just applied the 1.01 10Mb update and it worked fine.

gioGAF

Finished my good playthrough. I thought the story picked up a little at the end, but still nowhere near inFamous 1. My complaint about Cole now being a wimp remained until the end. Sure, I can wipe enemies out by spamming stuff from far away, but any chump can take you out with a couple of shots. The combat ZOOM which I HATE (why can't I turn it OFF!) makes sure that a dude can stand right next to you and you won't know about it.

The switching of powers was weak sauce. You just end up using the most effective one from each category and the other ones don't really exist. HUGE step back from the first game.

Now, I'm doing my Evil / Hard playthrough. Unfortunately, things have take a turn for the worse. I knew I would miss the Ice Jump, but the biggest loss is actually Bolt Stream because it is the only AUTOMATIC bolt. Now I have to mash R1 endlessly. Seriously? I can honestly say I'm not enjoying myself and I'm beginning to just rush through. I know that every encounter will have a lot of MASHING R1, and I might get killed by the dude that is standing RIGHT NEXT to me because I can't see him. I have to just suck up the irritation and finish (I'm a trophy whore).

InFamous 1 was a joy to play, twice. I was actually sad when I finished, since I wanted more. InFamous 2 felt like "going through the motions" on the first playthrough, the second playthrough just feels ANNOYING!

BTW, is there any efficient way to take down a Devourer?

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Well, had the ending spoiled to me because my guy was playing the game and I just couldn't keep away and after knowing what happens at the end (the good ending), I just don't want to play the game for myself... I'm almost halfway through the bad endingsince he was doing the good first.
Oh well maybe it's the typical common comic book trickery that I hate and despise. almost every comic book hero has to go through at least one resurrection during their run. Hopefully that question mark lightening at the end means he's not really dead.. I hope so!!

edgefusion

Inanna said:
Well, had the ending spoiled to me because my guy was playing the game and I just couldn't keep away and after knowing what happens at the end (the good ending), I just don't want to play the game for myself... I'm almost halfway through the bad endingsince he was doing the good first.
Oh well maybe it's the typical common comic book trickery that I hate and despise. almost every comic book hero has to go through at least one resurrection during their run. Hopefully that question mark lightening at the end means he's not really dead.. I hope so!!

If it's any consolation the bad ending is completely different to the good one.

Just finished the game, and man was it awesome.

It's sad that Kuo died, she was a great character :(

Also, I am one of the minorities that don't think there will be an Infamous 3 and don't actually want an Infamous 3 because I don't want this story to be ruined.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
OldJadedGamer said:
Any seen any good deals on the game?

I've been on the lookout for inFamous 2 deals since it's launch, and so far, there aren't any that I'm aware of. Despite being one of my most wanted games this year, I decided to wait for a price drop since pretty much every game now days seems to drop in price just a few weeks after launch. I can't believe it hasn't dropped yet, although maybe it's a sign that it's selling well?

RatskyWatsky said:
I've been on the lookout for inFamous 2 deals since it's launch, and so far, there aren't any that I'm aware of. Despite being one of my most wanted games this year, I decided to wait for a price drop since pretty much every game now days seems to drop in price just a few weeks after launch. I can't believe it hasn't dropped yet, although maybe it's a sign that it's selling well?

I haven't paid more than $40 for new games in over two years and most times get them about two weeks after launch. Usually Amazon has a decent deal.

Maffis

Just finished this too, and it was a great game. Can't believe some of those reviews (gamespot 7.5, hello?) out there. Sure there are gripes with the games, but 7.5 is fucking retarded.

Anyways, the story did give me a mixed feeling. I got the good ending, but it was
weird that everyone but Zeke died lol, and they just wanted to die, like, they didn't even care. If there ever is an Infamous 3, I hope they all come back somehow because I don't think their characters were fleshed out enough. And wtf was up with John? He just became the beast and killed alot of people and and then suddenly talks with you and is suddenly back at killing more people.

Maffis said:
Just finished this too, and it was a great game. Can't believe some of those reviews (gamespot 7.5, hello?) out there. Sure there are gripes with the games, but 7.5 is fucking retarded.

Anyways, the story did give me a mixed feeling. I got the good ending, but it was
weird that everyone but Zeke died lol, and they just wanted to die, like, they didn't even care. If there ever is an Infamous 3, I hope they all come back somehow because I don't think their characters were fleshed out enough. And wtf was up with John? He just became the beast and killed alot of people and and then suddenly talks with you and is suddenly back at killing more people.

About that good ending ..:
Well everyone on the team is a conduit except ZEKE .. and the RFI is killing everyone with a conduit gene regardless of their habilities .

As for john , he isn't killing people , he is making new conduits because the plague is gonna kill everyone else at this rate (even if you have the conduit gene , the plague affect you unless your powers are active ).

Also he said twice that he has trouble controlling the flaw of powers he has ... i won't talk about the evil ending but it's clear john see cole as the right person for the job .. and that's why he gave his side of the story to COLE before the final fight.

What's intresting is the fact that the plague comes from overdose of radiations .. we can safely assume that more people are being made conduits on at least on the american soil ..

Looks like inFAMOUS 2 did well digitally too. Colour me surprised given its price point.

top10summerdownloads.jpg

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Maffis said:

I think the game really really drags near the middle of the game. I actually dropped the game for a full month before picking it back up to finish it.

That said, I liked the endings (went with good myself), but found the wrap up a little TOO quick. Either The Beast should have showed up sooner, or there should have been a bunch more missions after he shows up in New Marais. Most of inFamous 2 had nothing to do with the take-away from inFamous 1, and when it does address it, it deals with it REALLY REALLY quickly.

Metalic said:
Just finished the game, and man was it awesome.

It's sad that Kuo died, she was a great character :(

Also, I am one of the minorities that don't think there will be an Infamous 3 and don't actually want an Infamous 3 because I don't want this story to be ruined.
How can there be, unless they say that neither ending was canon? (and that would be a terrible way to handle it)

EDIT: Is it just me or is inFamous 2's aliasing fucking OUT OF CONTROL? Whenever things get crazy, the IQ goes to shit.

Beat the game on good.

I liked game overall but I wish
John had more encounters with Cole and his group in his human form. I wonder if they will make inFamous 3 based off the good ending. There was no real resolution to Kessler's connection to Cole from the previous game either.

Might have to play evil route now.

iNvid02

MiniBossBattle said:
Beat the game on good.

I liked game overall but I wish
John had more encounters with Cole and his group in his human form. I wonder if they will make inFamous 3 based off the good ending. There was no real resolution to Kessler's connection to Cole from the previous game either.

Might have to play evil route now.

ending was satisfying but im sure there will be an infamous 3

Just finished it with the good ending. What a great game! The abilities Cole gets towards the end make inFamous1 Cole look very weak.

I agree that the game drags a bit in the middle, but gets totally amazing again towards the end. Loved the gameplay, the characters and the voice acting. Also the tech, this is easily the most impressive open world game. Lightning Tether is insane! I don't want a sequel on PS3 though, I think there's not much more they can do. PS4 launch title please!

I really didn't like either ending. I feel like no matter which way you go the game abandons pretty much everything that the ending of the first game was leading up to.

I always thought that John would end up being The Beast, since he got sucked into the Ray Sphere in the first game ad it was the only logical conclusion, and I liked the idea that Kessler going back in time accidentally accelerated The Beast's arrival, but almost nothing about inFamous 1's story is even mentioned. Cole mentions Trish maybe once, and I don't think by name, and having to kill his future self apparently had no lasting effect on him. In the good ending you only say about three words to John before going to fight him.

The worst thing, though, is that the whole point of both games was awakening Cole's powers and then strengthening them so that one day he could take on The Beast and save the world. And then, literally in the last half hour of inFamous 2, that idea is completely dropped because, woops, turns out the RFI just kills ya! The entire focus of the series shifts completely in the climax of the second game. It came out of nowhere. You're specifically told that the RFI is going to depower The Beast if you spend the next twenty hours collecting Ray Shards, and then once you've done all that it turns out that was a lie and now you have to either sacrifice yourself or kill every single human in the entire world QUICK CHOOSE NOWNOWNOW! MORALITY SYSTEM!

Some of the things you have to do in the bad ending could have been emotionally affecting if they'd been earned in any way. I mean, for one thing Zeke betrayed you in the first game and then at the start of the second game you and he are just best buds again and they only mention it once or twice, but more importantly the whole ending situation is just so abrupt that it didn't mean anything to me. Sorry Zeke, guess I've gotta kill you now because apparently that's how this game is ending now. Maybe we coulda talked this over if this story had been plotted out better *shrug*

It didn't help that the gameplay just stopped being fun about two-thirds of the way through. I don't agree that the game drags in the middle at all; I think that the point where you get your new powers and get into Flood Town is one of the highlights. They gave you a bunch of new powers and then changed up the gameplay so you could take advantage of your new abilities. It started sagging for me when you get into the final area of the city and every single mission is a drag out battle with fifty guys with boosted health to lengthen your playtime. None of your new mobility powers mattered because you just had to find a spot where you could keep recharging yourself after emptying everything you had into the bullet sponge enemies over and over. There were a couple of interesting diversions in the last few hours, like when the lightning storm comes, but the artificially lengthened combat scenarios and the lame ending that came out of nowhere really spoiled the game for me.

gioGAF

I really didn't like either ending. I feel like no matter which way you go the game abandons pretty much everything that the ending of the first game was leading up to.
I agree with this. This game seems to just sort of forget InFamous 1 ever happened. While I did enjoy some of the ending scenarios, they were MUCH weaker than the first game. InFamous 2 in a vacuum is a good game, the problem is that InFamous 1 exists and it was a much better experience.

The abilities Cole gets towards the end make inFamous1 Cole look very weak.
I really don't understand how people can have this opinion. Cole was an absolute BAD ASS at the end of InFamous 1, ESPECIALLY if you were evil and could decimate fools "Sith Lord" style. His powers all stacked (1+1+1) instead of being separate like in InFamous 2 (1 or 1 or 1). The new ionic powers look great and have some punch, but they pale in comparison to the original Lightning Storm "I'm f'n Thor" power. Don't get me started on your regular bolts depleting cores and no recharge from rail grind.

The ONLY department that was actually improved was mobility (better glide, tether, jump, etc.). I actually went back and replayed InFamous 1 after finishing my good and evil runs on InFamous 2, to make sure nostalgia was not clouding my judgment. It wasn't, InFamous 1 > InFamous 2, unfortunately :-(

tl;dr
InFamous 2 - better mobility, better technically, Cole = weak sauce
InFamous 1 - better story, better powers, Cole = BAD ASS

Raonak

Banned
I found infamous 2 cole stronger. Mainly because you were taking down bigger enemies, and you had more options. Instead of just scatter grenades, I could use ice ones, or the stun ones, ice triple rocket, sticky rockets, ionic drain, drain overload thing, and melee combo fully charges you up.

Bradach

i'm about 75% complete on "Bad" and i'm really enjoying it. i need to give a special mention to Kuo's voice acting, its brilliant. i keep pissing her off doing bad things cos i like it when she gives out to me :)

Raonak said:
I found infamous 2 cole stronger. Mainly because you were taking down bigger enemies, and you had more options. Instead of just scatter grenades, I could use ice ones, or the stun ones, ice triple rocket, sticky rockets, ionic drain, drain overload thing, and melee combo fully charges you up.
I found there were points where inFamous 2 Cole seemed amazing, but the weird difficulty balancing made me feel less powerful at the end than I did at the beginning. The first fight with the Behemoth was brilliant because all of a sudden you've got these righteous new powers, you're leaping straight up to rooftops and flying around and hurling car after car at this thing and it's awesome. But towards the end of the game the underlying numbers of the game's programming get all messed up and enemies that you could kill in a couple of headshots a few missions ago suddenly need concentrated bursts of lightning straight to the face to even get their attention.

The point where the Ice Titans show up is right around the point I stopped having fun with the combat. Even if you nail them in the head with every rocket and grenade you literally can't beat one without using up all the electricity you have and finding somewhere to recharge. There's a mission where you have to fight one on a big tanker in the harbour and it just stands there at the bow of the ship while you empty everything you've got into it and then run back to find some lights to suck out. I was playing on Easy mode and I had to recharge myself three or four times. That doesn't make you feel powerful; it's not even a challenge, it's just a slog. And after that you start getting pitted against two Ice Titans and three of those huge bug things and forty Ice Soldiers and some militia and all manner of other stuff and everything takes forever to kill. Then there's the fact that you only have one hitscan weapon, the sniper shot that drains more juice than seemingly any other ability, and every enemy except the Titans spends most of their time flying through the air or teleporting.

I think inFamous 2 makes you look more powerful by giving you the ability to go toe-to-toe with much larger crowds than you could in the first game, but I definitely never felt more powerful than I was in inFamous 1 because that game was just balanced differently. Fights in inFamous 1 were more about picking the best place to attack from whereas in inFamous 2 you could really just wade into a crowd without too much trouble. It seems like Cole hit harder but was more fragile in the first game and the opposite in the second.

i can agree to matrix-cat at some point since , some ennemies can take too many hits too kill , but this never flet like a shore SINCE , the number of rechargeables energy point are EVERYWHERE ,

the part on the boat you mention is not such a shore since you have like 2 rechargeable points of ennergy 5 meters away from your safe range ..

you should feel powerfull , not god like .. and as such you have to vary your way of approach.

( The only time were you re a god on earth is during the " STORM " mission BTW )

That's true, there are plenty of points to recharge. My problem was that having to stroll up to an Ice Titan and unload literally everything I had into him three or four times before he went down made me feel really weak. You can fire rockets, throw grenades, shoot them right between the eyes with precision shots, Thunder Drop from as high as you like but there's no way of taking one down quickly unless you've got that one Ionic Power. Ice Titans just have too much health, and they can't really put up a fight against you since none of their attacks are very dangerous. They're the worst kind of bullet sponges, and any time they came out to play they reduced the level of fun I was having.

I just take issue with the way Sucker Punch artificially increased the difficulty towards the end of the game. The same enemies you fight in the middle of the game just have more hit points at the end of the game, while the damage you do with all your attacks seems to stay the same. Once I realised what was happening it really soured me on the whole thing. I don't think they did it in inFamous 1, or if they did it was much more subtle because I never noticed it. You gain so many more abilities by the end of the game but they appear to get weaker as the missions go on because enemies are just getting more and more health.

Top Bottom