• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFAMOUS 2 |OT| Think Twice

Dyno

ezekial45 said:
So it's been a month now. Have there been any good fan made missions?

Last night I spent about two hours playing nothing but UGC. I filtered the missions for Battle only. I had a good time! Most of them are as good as any of the side missions in the campaign. One I played was really fun and got me laughing. (Don't remember the name but I added it to my queue.)

When I finished the campaign there were still three powers that I didn't pay for yet. I figure that might be pretty typical. So in order to max out your character you have to play at least some UGC. I think it was a pretty successful way to add some hours and value to your purchase.

Radec

narwhalSTAB said:
Reaper Cole is badass. Forget the Old Cole vs E3 Cole debate, Reaper Cole should have been the original design.

inFamous run = Reaper Cole
Hero run = Kezzler

Made the game much better to play for me. Especially against those swamp creeps at melee combat.

zulfate

just started playing this game and i am loving every minute of it....especially the UGC is there a good site to check out good UGC content?

have any of you guys remember any good ones of the top of your head....my favourite one so far was the MAFIA, were all the female civilians attack you with 200% damage, then the men get angry and come shooting at you lol

Just finished the Good Ending.

Loved it and I hope that lightening bolt signified Cole coming back to life. I don't want another origin story in this universe just yet. The whole Kuo/Nix thing was done really well although I kinda wish Nix didn't have to get herself killed like that.

Finished with the good ending. Really enjoyed it but felt like it was missing some of that (almost) Banksy-ish style of the first game. I really wished the enemy conduits had more variety too, I got sick of fighting the swamp monsters and found the ice conduits a little annoying. I dug the story though and thought they did a fantastic job with all the characters. The game also did the impossible and made me like Zeke again.

Ending spoilers
I loved the idea of the ending but felt like it was rushed. The fight felt exactly like the intro and was about the same difficulty (and I was playing on hard). The only difference was Kuo butted in which didn't really change anything. John didn't say anything, which seemed strange considering his motivations it really felt like some dialogue was missing there. Lastly I thought that final scene/ending went too fast. The character you've spent all this time with has died, and they don't show his actual death and have a five minute cutscene wrapping everything up. Felt a little hallow at the end there.

It was funny how Kuo was chasing me at that last scene though. I didn't see a life bar so I wasn't sure if I could even hurt her, and right before charging the RFI I just fried her until it said "Wounded Kill". It made me laugh, I honestly wasn't expecting that. It didn't have any effect on the story though.

Still had a blast with the game and I'm really curious how different an evil playthough will be. I just felt there were some wasted opportunities towards the end and lessened the impact on what I thought could have been a great ending.

Beat the game yesterday with all good choices. Then played it all the way through again today with all evil choices. Man I thought the good ending was depressing... but the bad ending-- good god...

The story telling among the best of any video game I have played. All the cinematic are extremely well done. But the story when it ended (both endings) just left me unsatisfied. At least the action/gameplay itself was far more epic than the first game, and the graphics just blew me away.

Story/Plot Infamous1 > Infamous2
Story telling Infamous2 > Infamous1

I don't know how they are going to manage to make an Infamous3. But I can only hope they will NOT try to make a game with Cole as the protagonist again. After this one, I really don't want to play a game as Cole again.

Since when did Cole lose the ability to walk? HE CANT FUCKING WALK.

And the camera has no auto center.

The civilians shouldn't take 4 or more lighting ball/bolt shots to bring down. Theyre human beings and theyre being shot with electricity. I'd say one or two shots should put them to the ground immediatley if not kill them outright. They shouldn't be getting back up and running away. The fuck? (And I wasnt going for an Evil ending)

Its these reasons that I returned the game within a half hour.

Hixx

JumpingTheGun said:
Since when did Cole lose the ability to walk? HE CANT FUCKING WALK.

And the camera has no auto center.

The civilians shouldn't take 4 or more lighting ball/bolt shots to bring down. Theyre human beings and theyre being shot with electricity. I'd say one or two shots should put them to the ground immediatley if not kill them outright. They shouldn't be getting back up and running away. The fuck? (And I wasnt going for an Evil ending)

Its these reasons that I returned the game within a half hour.

username makes post.

har har har. Well I played all the way through the original so I was coming in familiar wth the series and the gameplay. It just didnt deliver for me. The camera was erratic and janky and the lack of an auto center was really frustrating. camera issues couldve been solved with an auto center.

JumpingTheGun said:
har har har. Well I played all the way through the original so I was coming in familiar wth the series and the gameplay. It just didnt deliver for me. The camera was erratic and janky and the lack of an auto center was really frustrating. camera issues couldve been solved with an auto center.

Just don't see how you at least enjoyed the first one and threw the 2nd one away in 30 minutes when the gameplay was vastly improved on the 2nd.

demosthenes said:
Just don't see how you at least enjoyed the first one and threw the 2nd one away in 30 minutes when the gameplay was vastly improved on the 2nd.

dude. cole couldnt walk and the camera system sucked, along with me not being able to stretch my imagination so far as to believe citizens in New Marais could withstand 5 or 6 bursts of electricity shot at them before they fell to the ground and i had to CHOOSE whether to kill them or help.

perhaps the whole "choices = consequence" thing is wearing thin on me. I dont know, but Infamous 2 just wasnt my bag. I really wanted to like it too. Maybe somewhere down the line ill give it a shot but it isnt bloody likely.

If I want the 15k xp boost in my first save is that possible? I beat all the side missions in my first playthrough but not my second. It would be cool to get that 1500xp on that file, but I don't see the last story mission anywhere.

teiresias

Is the "Extreme Makeover" trophy glitched, because I've destroyed at least fifty balconies (getting the Big Destruction experience notice) and still have yet to get this damn thing? I've tried to get it in both times through the game (currently doing my evil play through after finishing good). I'm going to majorly pissed off if this is glitched and I can't platinum the game.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
teiresias said:
Is the "Extreme Makeover" trophy glitched, because I've destroyed at least fifty balconies (getting the Big Destruction experience notice) and still have yet to get this damn thing? I've tried to get it in both times through the game (currently doing my evil play through after finishing good). I'm going to majorly pissed off if this is glitched and I can't platinum the game.
From a trophy website:

If you know for a fact that you destroyed 30 large objects throughout the game but the trophy still hasn't unlocked, do it again all in one sitting. The trophy should unlock properly then.

First post on gaf! :D

So I beat this game recently and I really enjoyed it. Overall I thought it was better than the first game but I still dont feel that Sucker Punch has fully tapped into the potential of the franchise.
Graphics were great (huge improvement), and storytelling was amazing. The characters were super well done but the actual plot i thought was more intriguing in the first game. Gameplay is just flat out fun and the new powers ensures the game just gets better as you go. I could have done with better designed enemies and the ice launch should have made into a base gameplay mechanic imo as should the tether. Platforming was also not used as well as it could have been too. As for the ending I only beat it on good but it wasnt as amazing as the first, but still cool I thought. The last decision you have to make was brilliant. However kessler was a more epic/intense final boss.
Overall I give it a 9/10, for the sheer undeniable fun factor to be had when the game is at its best.

SkylineRKR

Welcome dude. I'm not more than a few hours in but so far I find it to be a blast as well.

I regret I bought DNF instead of this game back when they were both being released. All because nostalgia got the better of me' should of known better. But in any case I've sold that off and I caved for this today.

And I freakin' love it. Oh yes.

The gameplay, the graphics, everything. Infamous 2 feels like a complete improvement over the first game that I liked as well. I'm on my way to a mission, and ofcourse I always stray to do that side mission near me and within those side missions I just have to make a big splash on the ground to save those civs from being robbed. And those birds, far better than how the first game dealt with it. So i'm constantly not progressing the story but having a truckload of fun.

Awesome stuff.

brb

Just Platinum'd this puppy last night. Totally loved playing both as Evil Cole (my first, main playthough) and Good Cole a second time. The good/evil powers were different enough that I played it completely differently from my two play through which really kept it fresh.

Am I in the minority for absolutely loving the Evil ending?

brb said:
Oh no not at all. I think everyone can agree on that, it's infinitely better than the good ending,
the things you had to do like killing Nix and Zeke were crazy, and flying around and destroying the city with the beast
was too much fun.

Finally got back into playing it. I did the first game on the easiest difficulty and started this on the hardest. Although it took two attempts to beat the Ravager boss...it didnt really feel hard at all, just tedious. Kind of a shocking cutscene followed afterwards with Wolfe and Kou...caught me off guard.

Feep

Banned
JumpingTheGun said:
yeah but the run wasnt as fast and camera was zoomed out moreso than in I2 so it was a hell of a lot more bearable.
Why the hell do you feel the need to walk? There are no stealth sections.

Speed. Power. That's what inFAMOUS is about. What a weird criticism.

brb said:
Just Platinum'd this puppy last night. Totally loved playing both as Evil Cole (my first, main playthough) and Good Cole a second time. The good/evil powers were different enough that I played it completely differently from my two play through which really kept it fresh.

I thought the evil ending was a little TOO evil for me. Loved the good ending though. Beat good on hard first when I got the game, platted it on my easy/evil playthrough, which was fun as hell I will admit.

ElyrionX

Ok, I just hit Floodtown and I've lost my motivation to play. One of my biggest complaint of the first one is the bleakness of the open world and while New Marais wasn't exactly a paradise, it wasn't as bad as some of the stuff in the first game. Then I hit Floodtown.

The whole place looks like ass and it's just depressing to complete missions in there. Plus, more than 80% of the ground terrain consists of water which is lethal to Cole and that places an emphasis on movement and platforming. This is bad because the movement and platforming in Infamous 2 is downright ass. It's just not fun climbing buildings, jumping around and using the weakass static thrusters to move around.

ElyrionX said:
The whole place looks like ass and it's just depressing to complete missions in there. Plus, more than 80% of the ground terrain consists of water which is lethal to Cole and that places an emphasis on movement and platforming. This is bad because the movement and platforming in Infamous 2 is downright ass. It's just not fun climbing buildings, jumping around and using the weakass static thrusters to move around.
Did you get Nix's powers or Kuo's? Because if you're saying the platforming is ass when you've got the Ice Launch at your fingertips I don't know what to tell you. I was in heaven when I hit Flood Town because all of a sudden I didn't have to mash X to fumble up the sides of buildings ever again.

ElyrionX

matrix-cat said:
Did you get Nix's powers or Kuo's? Because if you're saying the platforming is ass when you've got the Ice Launch at your fingertips I don't know what to tell you. I was in heaven when I hit Flood Town because all of a sudden I didn't have to mash X to fumble up the sides of buildings ever again.

Kuo. What difference does it make? I use Ice Launch and I still got to stick to the side of a building and mash X to get all the way up there. It's just not fun.

matrix-cat said:
One thing I thought Sucker Punch really nailed in the first game was the balance between Cole's powers and the enemies', and the way you had to stay on your toes and use the city's geometry to your advantage, and I feel like they lost it towards the end of inFamous 2.

You never became really powerful in the first game, not in the sense that you could go and Rambo into a den of bad guys with much luck, but if you were mindful of your surroundings and picked the best area to fight from you could always do pretty well for yourself. Some of the later missions were really brilliant, and I think it was the second-last one in particular that threw a practical army at you but space them out on various rooftops in such a way that you were pretty much a match for them by your lonesome. It's hard to describe, but I feel the balance was a lot better in the first game.

There were moments in inFamous 2 when I thought I was playing the best thing ever, and it never got stale because the way you play that game changes significantly with pretty much ever new power you get. I was amazed at how the gameplay opened up when I got the Ice Launch, and the first big bossfight was absolutely brilliant in a way that inFamous 1 could never have offered. And then when you get to Flood City things get even better because all of a sudden you need to start getting a whole lot more precise with your platforming because there's water everywhere. But then you realise you can even use that to your advantage, though, because blasting dudes off rooftops into water and shocking them is an easy one-hit-kill. Only stay frosty, son, because these effers can jump, too. I just adored the middle of inFamous 2.

But I feel like it just goes downhill really significantly when you unlock the final part of New Marais. It feels like every enemy gets a huge bump-up in health with every passing mission, so before long even the most basic enemies need five second long bursts to the face before they even slow down, and you can just wail on bigger enemies for minutes at a time. Ice Titans are the worst thing in the whole game because they barely even fight back. The one on the bow of the cargo ship just stood in place while I emptied my electricity stores into his face and then ran off to recharge over and over again. I love the huge battles in inFamous where you fight a dozen different enemy-types at once and each neeeds to be dealt with differently, but by the end of the game I just groaned every time the game threw another forty enemies at me because it just took so long.

It got to the point where, despite your amazing new powers, you actually feel less dangerous at the end of the game than you are at the start because enemies simply have more health. And rooftop-to-rooftop battles are pretty much gone in favour of bland one-level fights in warehouses and city streets. You can still find higher ground, but when all you're doing is firing dozens of rockets into the same Titan it's easier to get in close because they travel so slowly; it's not like he's going to do anything about it.

I was planning to start an evil playthrough right after I finished, but by the end of inFamous 2 I was just done. I hated the way the story ended, too, but that's neither here nor there :p

Yeah, I agree with a lot of this. By the end of the game it felt like too much of a slog, and then I remembered the cheap deaths I'd suffered throughout and going all the way through once more just felt like it would be too much of a chore.

Despite a couple of difficulty spikes in the first, you never reached the stage where enemies would require such sustained firepower before they fell. Heck, towards the end of this I was constantly hammering prone enemies because half the time they'd get up, even from direct grenade hits and the like. Sucker Punch needs to learn how to make enemies fun to defeat. Clever enemies with decent firepower? Fine. Rocket launcher dudes who fire at you from point-blank range, effectively killing themselves in the blast as well as you? Not cool. I suffered some really cheap deaths in this game, and that certainly didn't happen as often in the original.

On top of that, I think the Karma system needs a complete rethink. After completing the game with a heroic Cole I decided to go back and try and change my alignment to get the other ending. But that's nigh-on impossible without hours upon hours of grinding. Presumably the idea is to encourage a complete second playthrough. But then what's the point in giving us that big choice at the end, if you have to completely change your alignment to take one option anyway?

Not only that, but it really takes some effort to be evil. I'd take on side-missions with Nix and try to harm as many bystanders as possible but in some quests there are barely any innocents present, and you wind up with your actions making you more heroic because you've spent the whole time taking enemies down, regardless of any destruction you've caused in the process.

There are elements of 2 that I love: the tether comes way too late, but makes traversal in the later stages great fun. I definitely prefer Cole in this, even as the script's necessary ambiguities make him look like a prick of a hero or too soft to be a true villain. And there are some lovely story beats, particularly that near-silent cutscene with Cole and Zeke on the couch.

But I don't think this really builds on the original enough. There's potential here but it's frustratingly unrealised for the most part. The bosses are mostly lame. That backstory mission aside, Nix is an irritating and badly-stereotyped devil-on-the-shoulder character. The closing story sequence (good ending) is rushed and the final lines lack emotional weight. And for all that grinding on rails to get around is fun, Cole's static thrusters are feeble, and the stickiness of the platforming can be annoying (for all that people will groan if I mention Prototype, the one thing that game absolutely got right was that Mercer really moved like a superhero). And where were the bespoke platforming sequences of the first game? I really enjoyed those, and I think their absence is felt here, making inFamous 2 feel more repetitive than it should be.

Giving Cole other elemental powers feels like you're compromising what makes him special, too. I want to play as a hero whose skillset is unique. Superheroes have a particular set of talents which they slowly figure out and then gradually begin to master - I don't like the idea that two heroes can suddenly pool their abilities, even if the Ice Launch makes getting around more fun. Working with an AI partner to combine powers into special attacks is fine, as is learning new electrical abilities, or increasing the effectiveness of the ones Cole already possesses. Maybe that's just a personal thing, I don't know.

I sound ultra-critical here, but it's only because there's a lot I like, and I'm frustrated that it's not the classic it really could be. The idea of a superhero with these amazing electrical powers whose story is told in comic-book fashion is a very appealing one, but it's not a concept that Sucker Punch has quite mastered yet.

GeoramA

Dedication Through Light said:
Wow just got to Nix, pretty cool, I hope I see more of her!
Yeah, I like her a lot more than Kuo so far.

I'm pretty dedicated to my Hero playthrough right now, so I don't really see much of Nix :/

Lince

Banned
last night I started playing this casually with a couple of friends and some beers passing the controller around and we ended up in the 3rd 'island'... lol, this game really grabs you by the balls, even after playing through it 3 times already. So much fun, controls and combat are ridiculously polished (as long as you learn how to dodge/throw back some enemies' projectiles).

Kou and Cole's conversations are pretty nice. I like it. Im so glad that I got the precision shot again, Cole is starting to get back to epic levels again. I cant say that Im a fan of needing to find the charges just to use Ionic Vortex...I kind of miss the one in inFAMOUS, I like controlling it with Dual Shock 3.

Kou and Cole's conversations are pretty nice. I like it. Im so glad that I got the precision shot again, Cole is starting to get back to epic levels again. I cant say that Im a fan of needing to find the charges just to use Ionic Vortex...I kind of miss the one in inFAMOUS, I like controlling it with Dual Shock 3.

don't worry the lighting strike is still there ( that why you use it in the first fight ) it's just locked until ... well i don't want to spoil you .. Just like precision that came afterwards ..most of COLE old powers are back .

the only thing i'm missing is the hability for cole to recharge energy while grinding ...

It almost feels like the game has no edge detection at times, on the boat mission on the swamp, I literally fly through the railings on it. In other cases Im inside pickup trucks when I try to take cover behind them. Its rather annoying.

Late to the party i know but after getting the godo ending i went to get the evil one ..

man .. i wasn't expecting that ..ZEKE whatever scénario did his part beautifully ..

Heck to go from a character this "hated" by his actions in the first to finally reddeem himself as the "buddy" it's a achievement ...

Overall i kinda had the idea on who the beast was "that idea was in my mind since he get absorbed by the ray sphere regardless of your choices in 1)

It was a nice ride regardless ... One thing REALLY anyoing in infamous 1 has been corrected .. i finished infamous 1 and didn't have enough ennemies /quest to get teh rest of my powers .. not only there are more missions but UGC really helps to get content out of it ..

To me Infamous will be the MOST IMPROVED SEQUEL on 2011...

it's not perfect ..but you can tell Sucker punch listenend..

Wow cant believe I finished it in a week and no less on hard difficulty. Really, the only hard thing about the hard was just those ridiculous "defend the transformer" type missions. I hate them, just as bad as those protect the vehicle missions in inFAMOUS.

I enjoyed the good ending, though, I hope we get an inFAMOUS3, there is so much potential for this modern day superhero franchise. I wouldnt mind seeing Kuo, I loved her voice actor and the four main casts banter with each other.

Wow cant believe I finished it in a week and no less on hard difficulty. Really, the only hard thing about the hard was just those ridiculous "defend the transformer" type missions. I hate them, just as bad as those protect the vehicle missions in inFAMOUS.

I enjoyed the good ending, though, I hope we get an inFAMOUS3, there is so much potential for this modern day superhero franchise. I wouldnt mind seeing Kuo, I loved her voice actor and the four main casts banter with each other.

The tension between KUO and nix made so moment downright silly and some goddam tense ..

Polar opposites talking o each other ....figures ..

PS: hard is a piece of cake , sure your health is low ( and there is no option to increase it this time ) but as a evil player it's just easier ..PLUS some of the mission now will be a piece of cake sinc you've probably already figured out the weakness of each bossi didn't get a challenge in infamous 1 and you won't in the 2nd ..

Just be aware that shotguns close range are a pain in the ass

Hey there friends, I didnt necessarily want to make a new topic, but i did some snooping and I think I might not have been the only one that this has happened to.

I got Infamous 2, for free.

Let me set the scene. I downloaded the free trial, then half way through said fuck it and started playing resonance of fate instead. Now, for whatever reason I decided to go through my download history and what do i see before my eyes? A 15 gig version of infamous 2 that i have supposedly downloaded. I thought, that can't be right. I am not wily nily with my purchases at all. Surely I would remember blowing 65 bucks on a game?

Then I notice that the trial isnt showing up in my download history. I take a look at the infamous 2 game page and sure enough it has the red bag over the trial and the game! I googled and one or two other places have mentioned this, but i wanted to know if gaf has this experience. I feel guilty now, is there someone i should or could contact? not sure what to do here ...

Top Bottom