• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinite Undiscovery |OT|

snoopers

I am multitalented
Himuro said:
They were just shitty demos then. FF7, 8, and 10 had the best game demos ever. Then again, they had actually good pacing and really impressive areas at the beginning of the game that was full of action.

FF8's was insanely short, certainly not the best demo ever.

PhatSaqs said:
Ebgames just changed the ship date back to the 2nd from the 29th so I guess no weekend play :(.

The online date seems to be back to the 29th though, man Gamestop sure loves playing with my emotions.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Schopenhauer said:
The online date seems to be back to the 29th though, man Gamestop sure loves playing with my emotions.
You're right. They changed it back to the 29th again. Maybe they're watchin this thread :lol

espionage

IGN gave it a 7.1...

Man I'm still on the fence about this game. IGN's 7.1 does't make it any easier.

It has things going for it that I like though and reminds me of FFXII but with better character development. Guess I'll hold off on pre-ordering it and see what the masses say first...

PhatSaqs

Banned
espionage said:
IGN gave it a 7.1...

Man I'm still on the fence about this game. IGN's 7.1 does't make it any easier.

It has things going for it that I like though and reminds me of FFXII but with better character development. Guess I'll hold off on pre-ordering it and see what the masses say first...
And....thread asplode

batbeg

Awesome, the review makes me even more excited in the first paragraph:

Shakespeare wrote about something profound; developer tri-Ace settles for middle school humor. In other words, if you were hoping the fanciful title meant this was going to offer something deeper and more intriguing than what you've experienced in the past 20 years from Japanese RPGs, forget about it. Infinite Undiscovery, while enjoyable, is nothing special.

Humor of the community blog, fun of tri-Ace gameplay > Anything "deeper and more intriguing" from any RPG

The review seems to hit with things I care about, and seems to have problems with things which I enjoy anyway (micromanagement, yay!). And I have to kind of cast doubts on the combat being "mindless fun".

Also, this bit popped up:

I'd guess about 80% of the cut-scenes are dubbed, with the rest mysteriously (and seemingly randomly) lacking voices

So most of it is, in fact, dubbed, with some odd bits missing.

Awntawn

Despite the score, I was actually still giving it a chance given the contents of the review. It still seemed as if there was hope, until...
IGN Review said:
The voice acting offers only English dubbing
De-purchase confirmed. So long, we hardly even knew ye' ;o

pswii60

7.1? Do we really have to wait until FFXIII for a true ass-kicking JRPG this generation?

I never expected 7.1. 8.x was my prediction.

pswii60 said:
7.1? Do we really have to wait until FFXIII for a true ass-kicking JRPG this generation?

I never expected 7.1. 8.x was my prediction.
IGN gave X-2 a 9.5, so I dont really trust them with jRPG reviews that much ;D

Paznos

The review makes it sound very average and it's disappointing that they created so many characters for a game that is fairly short and you don't get enough time to get to know the characters.

I'll have to wait on this one :( Day 245.

Quazar

Himuro said:
Well a lot of western game reviewers don't like jrpgs.

So us jrpg fans have to go in and guess the game's quality since reviewers tend to not exactly be reliable.

A lot of the best jrpgs last gen got scores like 7.0

Oh I know, just funny is all. :p

Little surprised by the score IGN gave it. Is the reviewer any good? I don't pay attention to IGN.

BarrelMakingPenguin said:
I'm still gonna get it even if I hate the idea of managing the equipment of 15+ characters.
Nice stealth edit ;D

Well I'm getting it too. I dont remember the last time I have agreed with an IGN review.

So hardly any sidequests? No extensive after-game dungeons/bosses?

Am I reading this right? Surely this wouldn't have been ignored in the review?

Instant FAIL.

/waits for SO4

And just for clarity: I don't care about the review SCORE. I am responding to the content of the review (in some cases, the lack thereof). As has already been pointed out, RPG reviews are hardly reliable.

It just really makes it seem like you have a ~25 hour game with nothing to do afterwards (or even much during). Marred by slowdown and lower framerates than expected for a tri-Ace game.

IGN:
Tales of Vesperia - 8.2
IU - 7.1

2dvijkk.gif

Dr. Strangelove said:
Read the review. Still buying.

I WILL NOT BE SWAYED

Again, in this case, reading the review IS THE PROBLEM.

-Incredibly short (with not much do do outside the main story apparently)

-Whiny main character you're forced to use

-A few simple fetch quests posing as "sidequests"

-Apparently no after-game mega-dungeons and bosses, generally a tri-Ace staple and the best part of their games. Areas where you are required to push the battle system to the limits, etc. While they may still be there, I somehow doubt they wouldn't have been mentioned AT ALL.

All this on top of the inescapable fact that only being able to control a single character in a real-time battle system (with soooo many other characters no less) will objectively make the combat (much much) less that what it could have otherwise been. It also strips a lot of the potential replay from subsequent playthroughs with other characters.

But, hey, at least the combat AI is decent! (now just get it right for SO4)

I just don't see much at all encouraging in the text of that review. I mean, it definitely sounds like it is worth a RENT, but when you think about it, that should be really insulting for a tri-Ace game... who are normally gods of interesting and rewarding real-time RPG battle systems and unending replay value. This game seems to miss both marks by a wide margin.

Revelations said:
I expect some of the problems will be addressed in DLC. Like new missions and side quests with uber powerful bosses.

Fuck this noise.

And if this is the case, I'm sure they won't mind me waiting until this game is in the bargain bin so I can pick it up + all the online rape for a complete game at a comparable price.

If I have to insert tokens to fight Lenneth or Freya or whoever in any tri-Ace game this generation I'm going to firebomb tri-Ace HQ. Do not try this lazy ass shit with SO4.

Let's not forget to mention the subpar framerate and FPS this game runs at (compared to the tri-Ace standard). It just seems like a complete disaster all around. They've really dropped the ball and this game seems to have NONE of the features that make tri-Ace games worth buying.

h3ro

Revelations said:
I expect some of the problems will be addressed in DLC. Like new missions and side quests with uber powerful bosses.

Not cool. I don't want this stuff to start becoming DLC.

IT SHOULD BE PART OF THE GAME.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Well I'm still looking forward to it, but I was always going to rent it. It is a little disappointing to see the trademark Tri-ace endgame stuff is absent, but it IS an IGN review, so...we'll see.

This is almost as if you've been a loyal buyer of Bentley, RR, high end Mercedes, or any of a number of ultra performance sports cars...

Then one year they send you a fucking Kia and tell you to get all the fancy stuff after market.

Y2Kev said:
Well I'm still looking forward to it, but I was always going to rent it. It is a little disappointing to see the trademark Tri-ace endgame stuff is absent, but it IS an IGN review, so...we'll see.

You know, just to make sure, I went back and looked at some of their previous tri-Ace reviews and in all of them they actually mention that kind of stuff... so... I'm more than a bit worried and pissed. The lasting appeal score for those games also reflects the content of the review.

So... yea.

OT: Shakespear was just a hack. He just exploited sex and violence. I dont think any of his stuff is really that profound.

but still LMAO@ all the ppl making excuses for the game.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Yeah, this game sounds un tri-Ace like. :((((((((((((((

No Endgame content = Boooo!

Guess we'll have to wait for SO4, I'll probably rent IU

Kweh

Bloody hell, I upgraded my old and decrepid 360 for this sudden RPG wave, Vesperia ended up being region locked and IU gets a less than stellar review, more fool me I guess!

Darkman M

May just blow threw this one first bein it's pretty short with not much bonus end game content which is pretty disappointing. I guess Tales f Vesperia will fill the epic jrpg void for awhile.

h3ro

Hopefully they fully iron out the engine hitches and problems with framerate and graphical detail for Star Ocean IV... (its the same engine, no?)

I'm not going to lie, I'm kind of surprised and disappointed. I thought this was a solid B/8.0 game. Sounds like the problems Shane mentioned are present through out the game and not just confined to one area (missing dialogue, dipping framerate, interface difficulties, etc).

I hope they put up a demo now just so I can check it out for myself. Gonna give that ToV demo another run through as well... :p

Darkman M said:
May just blow threw this one first bein it's pretty short with not much bonus end game content which is pretty disappointing. I guess Tales f Vesperia will fill the epic jrpg void for awhile.

Bu..but you can level past 100 in this game..how can this be that short?

Basch

Still need to preorder. Want so badly. With Tales of Vesperia, Disgaea 3, and Infinite Undiscovery, what more could a gamer want. *slaps those willing to speak up* Don't care what the reviews are, unless it's like < 6.0 or something. :lol Plus, American critics have yet to truly appreciate the greatness of the JRPG (aside: bunch of losers). All over my face IU. All over.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Kabuki Waq said:
OT: Shakespear was just a hack. He just exploited sex and violence. I dont think any of his stuff is really that profound.

but still LMAO@ all the ppl making excuses for the game.

o_o

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I don't trust American reviewers, aside from maybe Christian Nutt, at all when it comes to RPGs... no endgame content/lack of subquests is disappointing, but if the core battle system is solid, I'm interested. Can't say I can complain about the game being short, either, that's a relief in this day and age!

Top Bottom