• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinite Undiscovery |OT|

hmm review was well balanced explaining both positives and negatives, sounds like I will enjoy the game as fun mindless combat with simple combos (like rogue galaxy). Presumably, having mastered mass effect inventory (and Too Human's horrible slow menus) that inventory issue wont be so bad.

shame, I was underwhelmed by tales vesparia demo though am still buying that (especially after great reviews). But I was looking forward to IU more, and I thought from Square Enix high production values including CG would be a given.

Still day one purchase but
loweredexpectations.jpg
time :lol

Himuro said:
I actually agree. Which is why I'm getting ToV instead first. I really don't care for action rpgs. So it's either 1. risk going for a new game in an entirely new Tri Ace series or 2. risk going for a new game in a series I have experience with. I think I"ll go with number 2.

I've pretty much decided to go for ToV too. Which really pisses me off :lol

Tales games are good when they are good, it's just that they so rarely ARE. Maybe this one will be. At least I'll have something to DO.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
The endgame/length concerns are irrelevant to me as I have little time to game these days anyways. Still, not including bonus endgame content is a pretty big fail on the normally infallible Tri-Ace's behalf.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
cleveridea said:
hmm review was well balanced explaining both positives and negatives, sounds like I will enjoy the game as fun mindless combat with simple combos (like rogue galaxy). Presumably, having mastered mass effect inventory (and Too Human's horrible slow menus) that inventory issue wont be so bad.

shame, I was underwhelmed by tales vesparia demo though am still buying that (especially after great reviews). But I was looking forward to IU more, and I thought from Square Enix high production values including CG would be a given.

Still day one purchase but
loweredexpectations.jpg
time :lol
Ugh. Didn't like Rogue Galaxy much, stopped before the 10 hour mark iirc.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'd rather be stabbed with sharp lollipops than play a Tales game.

I prefer short games too, but content being completely omitted (as well as content being locked away for harder difficulties?) could be bad in the long run. I know I pull games out that I finished to sort of mess around with end game stuff all the time.

In many ways, this sounds like tri-ace gearing up for SO4. Which is fine, but I'll rent.

FrankT

Hmm, well the IGN review is a bit lower than expected. Still I'll wait for few more other reviews to get a better picture on the average as it still could be an 80ish game.

Darkman M

I wouldn't judge tales by the demo, the demo was poorly put together i have no doubts that tales of vesperia will be one of the best tales game, maybe even surpassing symphonia which is my favorite one thus far. Still pisses me off how fucked up the release day is for tov no one seems to have the damn game yet and it was suppose to be out yesterday.

h3ro said:
Not cool. I don't want this stuff to start becoming DLC.

IT SHOULD BE PART OF THE GAME.

This can't be repeated enough, considering the developer.

I don't mind the idea of DLC dungeons/bosses in RPGs. Even tri-Ace RPGs.

The problem is Maze of Tribulation/etc should be STANDARD for tri-Ace (they're in like ALL their games). IF they want to go above and beyond that, OK.

And I really do wonder just how much they'd put up for DLC anyway. I'm sure they'll put alternate costumes (which, again, should be part of the GAME, at least some of them... extra additional ones aren't so bad).

RPGCrazied

i'm still buying it.. altho he says it has framerate problems(only in battle?)

Didn't say anything about screen tearing( i hate this very much) so Ill deal with the framerate problem.

Maybe the sidequest/bosses are unlocked after first playthru? I seriously doubt he beat the game, most professional reviewers play a game for 20-25mins.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wow, that is really disappointing. I kind of expected this, to be honest, as it never looked like a proper Tri-Ace game to me. It always felt as if it were being created by some tiny budget team or something. The moment I saw the stiff animation, horrible framerate, and generally boring looking scenery I knew something was wrong. I'd love to hear the backstory behind this project, though. It seems like something that would have had a troubled history.

I might still give it a shot, but I dunno, almost every one of my concerns seems to have come to pass. Honestly, I have a feeling that The Last Remnant is going to suffer a similar fate as that too seems like a game that hasn't received proper attention during development.

Hopefully Tri-Ace delivers with Star Ocean 4, though. Based on the trailers, it looks FAR superior to IU and has a Tri-Ace flavor (plus it actually seems to run smoothly) that is lacking here. It would not shock me if IU was some sort of wierd contracted out game with only a few Tri-Ace members actually contributing.

KTallguy said:
Wow. That's a really negative review from IGN.

Tales demo was just meh to me. Back to BGII :D
I wouldn't judge Tales by that demo. I enjoy the series myself, but holy hell, that was a bad demo. They basically just picked some random, useless point in the game and tossed you into it. There was nothing eventful going on, basically, and without any insight into the characters, the dialog makes little sense (especially with all of the jargon). It was a very akward demo. Based on my experience with the rest of the series as well as the opinions of those who have played it, I think the final game would be MUCH more enjoyable.

i'm still buying it.. altho he says it has framerate problems(only in battle?)
Just take a look at any of the battle videos. The framerate drops constantly in battle. I mean, it's really unfinished looking. Considering that Tri-Ace was pushing some of the most advanced visuals on PS2 at 60 fps (such as pseudo-HDR lighting in VP2), this is shocking to me. They can't even hold 30 fps in IU. :\ For an action battle system, the fluidity makes a HUGE difference. I'm just glad the battles in Vesperia are 60 fps (which is the norm for the series outside of Legendia and Phantasia on SNES).

Basch

My Arms Your Hearse said:
I've pretty much decided to go for ToV too. Which really pisses me off :lol

Tales games are good when they are good, it's just that they so rarely ARE. Maybe this one will be. At least I'll have something to DO.

Team Symphonia always brings the goods. They have done Tales of Symphonia, Tales of the Abyss, and now Tales of Vesperia. I'm sure they'll strike gold, yet again, with the next one. Shouldn't ever bet against TS.

Basch said:
Team Symphonia always brings the goods. They have done Tales of Symphonia, Tales of the Abyss, and now Tales of Vesperia. I'm sure they'll strike gold, yet again, with the next one. Shouldn't ever bet against TS.

Well, Abyss is great despite some nagging technical issues. ToS itself is pretty terrible :lol

I've got my fingers crossed for ToV.

KTallguy

Banned
dark10x said:
I wouldn't judge Tales by that demo. I enjoy the series myself, but holy hell, that was a bad demo. They basically just picked some random, useless point in the game and tossed you into it. There was nothing eventful going on, basically, and without any insight into the characters, the dialog makes little sense (especially with all of the jargon). It was a very akward demo. Based on my experience with the rest of the series as well as the opinions of those who have played it, I think the final game would be MUCH more enjoyable.

TBH I've kind of written off the Tales series. The type of story and characters (animu) grate on my nerves too much. Anything that descends into that super animu vibe just turns me completely off.

Y2Kev said:
I'd rather be stabbed with sharp lollipops than play a Tales game.

This.

Cj70

Any idea when we can expect the other sites to put out their reviews? I don't really trust Hilary when it comes to Jrpgs

I thought Lost Odyssey was amazing and I didn't think that this would live up to that but I thought it would be better than 7.1...

Darkman M

Well, Abyss is great despite some nagging technical issues. ToS itself is pretty terrible :lol

What?! I thought tos shitted on Abyss but were good though!:lol

Basch

If you must. I've had no problems with either. Guess it's just different for me, and probably many others as well. :D

ToS combat is just... meh. There are issues with spell queuing and the animations when you change direction are sluggish. Also, ToA provides a higher level of difficulty with tougher enemies for even more combo insanity. FoF destroys anything ToS has to offer. ToA has way better costumes too! And generally better characters. I could complain more in detail but I don't want to derail.

Many of the ToV reviews seem to indicate it is like ToA without the technical hitches. I really hope so. Just going by videos there seem to be a lot of characters I already want to play around with, so the longevity should be there.

I can see how the animu aspects of the Tales games could bother some, but I don't really care about the story itself.

In fact, I'm going to stop talking about Tales at all. This is NOT the thread for it. Though I do wonder where Error and Duckroll are.

eXistor

Meh, not really phased by this, the game looks like a lot of fun and a lot of my favorite games have had crap reviews (not that a 7.1 is bad). Radiata Stories got pretty mediocre reviews and that is a fantastic game, one of the funnest of the last generation. I'm not expecting this to be amongst Tri-Ace's best games but I'm sure it'll be a fun rpg.

zoku88

KTallguy said:
TBH I've kind of written off the Tales series. The type of story and characters (animu) grate on my nerves too much. Anything that descends into that super animu vibe just turns me completely off.

This.
You guys are crazy o_O. I'd rather not be stabbed by sharp objects, even if they are tasty...

hmmm, surprised about this...I thought the game looked promising despite what looked like a cheesy story. Wasn't duckroll saying this would crush other games visually when it was announced? I still think it looks nice enough graphically from videos.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I read the review, I knew it was going to get an average score (as seen by my 7.5 prediction). The game is going to be a totally love/hate affair as I suspected, I'm still getting it like I got all tri-Ace games, so I'm not phased by this.

I can't tell for sure how big of a problem some of the game's design choices are till I play it. But I find the lack of Item Creation mention pretty weird, unless he didn't bother with it... the item creation should let create items you can sell, and even create weapons/armor for your teammates...

I'm not really bothered by a big cast, as VP1 had one and I loved the game. I guess we'll see this Tuesday if it indeed sucks and tri-Ace rushed this one to concentrate on SO4.

Himuro said:
Well a lot of western game reviewers don't like jrpgs.

So us jrpg fans have to go in and guess the game's quality since reviewers tend to not exactly be reliable.

A lot of the best jrpgs last gen got scores like 7.0

Well, I'll be awaiting your opinion, among others here. I'll surely get the game either way, but I've made up my mind and I'm going to play through Vesperia first.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
KTallguy said:
Heh, yeah, I can understand that. I'm not a huge fan of that stuff as it is presented in Tales either, but the games themselves tend to be a blast to play through.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I'm pretty sure he didn't mention the bonus content because, that IF he played on normal, the bonus content like extra dungeon/bosses is exclusive to hard mode like I suspected.

Quazar

Hilary Goldstein
Lost Odyssey-8.2
IU-7.1

Erik Brudvig
Blue Dragon-7.9
Eternal Sonata-8.3
Enchanted Arms-7.6

Ryan Geddes
ToV-8.2

Well...here's a rundown of JRPGs(for 360) rated by IGN.

Rimshot

Quazar said:
Hilary Goldstein
Lost Odyssey-8.2
IU-7.1

Erik Brudvig
Blue Dragon-7.9
Eternal Sonata-8.3
Enchanted Arms-7.6

Ryan Geddes
ToV-8.2

Well...here's a rundown of JRPGs(for 360) rated by IGN.

Well, of the few hours I put into Lost Odyssey I can say that it is not worth 8.2 (of course subjective) and to see IU getting less then that from the same reviewer makes me a little doubting :/ Especially when I really wish it would be good :/

batbeg

KTallguy said:
She gave LO an 8 ? ?
Wow, on her scale if this game is worse than LO... that's pretty sad.

Hilary is a he. And somehow this dumb "x got lower than y?!" mentality doesn't hold up to something called "logic".

Quazar

batbeg said:
Hilary is a he. And somehow this dumb "x got lower than y?!" mentality doesn't hold up to something called "logic".

Especially in the case of games that don't play alike. I happen to agree with his LO review after looking over it. It'll be interesting to see if I agree with IUs.

Basch

dark10x said:
Heh, yeah, I can understand that. I'm not a huge fan of that stuff as it is presented in Tales either, but the games themselves tend to be a blast to play through.

:lol Some of you need to get over your fear and read some Death Note. Truly one of the most intelligent pieces of literature I have ever read. I hate "super animu" comments like this.

WrikaWrek

Banned
The IGN review was pretty poorly written.

And a site that just gave 7.8 to Too Human, and for last appeal considered Mass Effect a 9.5

Lasting Appeal
Sure to be a classic RPG that is talked about (and played) for years.

I just don't trust this site to review RPGs.

Teknoman

Well I liked Lost Odyssey more than Blue Dragon...though I did like both (which I expected to, coming from Mistwalker).

Though now im really not sure what to do. I might just go with Tales first now...especially since I dont think I could tolerate framerate drops in an action RPG of that type. Either way, i'll wait till some more reviews come out (especially since they said Sonic Unleashed frame drops were unbearable, yet all other sites and hands on said the frame drops were minute).

batbeg

Basch said:
:lol Some of you need to get over your fear and read some Death Note. Truly one of the most intelligent pieces of literature I have ever read. I hate "super animu" comments like this.

He specifically says "as it is presented in Tales", which I don't think can be argued. My television watching is pretty much exclusively anime, but I still can't handle the bullshit levels of anime stereotypes Tales bombards me with.

Awntawn

gregor7777 said:
Except LO isn't a bad game. Some appreciated it more than others.
Indeed, it was actually pretty decent, just marred by poor design and shoddy technology. But from the looks of it, IU seems to suffer in the same departments.

goldenpp72

WrikaWrek said:
The IGN review was pretty poorly written.

And a site that just gave 7.8 to Too Human, and for last appeal considered Mass Effect a 9.5

I just don't trust this site to review RPGs.

Have you played the full game of too human? Why is 7.8 so laughable? it's pretty fair.

Basch

batbeg said:
He specifically says "as it is presented in Tales", which I don't think can be argued. My television watching is pretty much exclusively anime, but I still can't handle the bullshit levels of anime stereotypes Tales bombards me with.

Oh, I see. :D I don't mind 'em really and I too watch/read anime/manga quite often.

batbeg said:

There's nothing unreasonable about comparing 2 eviews for two RPGs written by the same guy.

I'm disappointed by the score, I was getting increasingly excited for IU but the impressions lately haven't been so positive. I'm not sure if I should pick it up right away now.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
Basch said:
What.

Top Bottom