• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Blade II |OT| Swiping never felt so good

how does the icloud save sharing thing work? i started on my ipad and tried to continue on my iphone, but i don't see how to load the original character.

Let us know if that works. I gave the game a chance and this time the lack of sound effects made me close the app. Don't they test their shit before they release it?

Okay, I closed all the apps I had running in the multi-task bar and primed a full shutdown & restart of my iPad 2. Then opened IB2 agin and restarted "Rebirth 1", all the cut dialog was back and I heard the sound effects in battle with the rust enemy.

burgerdog

Okay, I closed all the apps I had running in the multi-task bar and primed a full shutdown & restart of my iPad 2. Then opened IB2 agin and restarted "Rebirth 1", all the cut dialog was back and I heard the sound effects in battle with the rust enemy.

Going to give it a shot, I'll report back in a bit.

Tested the same app closing & shutdown/restart on my iPhone 4 and success. But man, the loading from the title screen into my save game is dreadfully slow on the iPhone 4. Must be at least 8 to 10 seconds. iPad 2 loading is like 2 seconds.

The story is not that confusing if you bet the final update of the first game. I'm following it just fine and I haven't read the novel.

Also, I second the iCloud question. How does that work? I want to transition from iPad to iPhone for easier playing in bed. :)

burgerdog

Tested the same app closing & shutdown/restart on my iPhone 4 and success. But man, the loading from the title screen into my save game is dreadfully slow on the iPhone 4. Must be at least 8 to 10 seconds. iPad 2 loading is like 2 seconds.

Worked like a charm on the 4S as well. Now the question is: do we have to this every time in order to get sound effects?

The story is not that confusing if you bet the final update of the first game. I'm following it just fine and I haven't read the novel.

Also, I second the iCloud question. How does that work? I want to transition from iPad to iPhone for easier playing in bed. :)

So far, the cloud stuff seems pretty fast over Wi-Fi. I just finished the
Intro
on my iPad 2 and load the game on my iPhone 4, right here I left off.

And damn, I had a feeling that the game was going to
depower you, metroid style,
right after the very first cut scene.

Medalion

Banned
No offense, but I played the 1st game for the oh so beautiful graphics and addictive gameplay, the storyline could be complete random nonsense for all I care

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
For anyone experiencing missing sound effects, just try restarting your device. My first fight had missing sound effects, so I restarted. Three more fights in, everything seems to be fine.

hyp

heavy weaponry is my new favorite thing about IB2. so damn satisfying brutalizing these bastards. perfect slash all day.

Ah, just needed to give iCloud a minute to sync. Smooth transition over to the iPhone version. God damn iOS 5 is amazing for this one feature alone. Hopefully more games support it in the future. So nice!

But damn the performance is so much worse on the iPhone 4 (compared to iPad 2). Much bigger gap than the first game. Too bad.

Also, has anyone figured out how to switch back to sword+shield after you've been dual-weilding? My game says my shield is still equipped, but I can't get my guy to actually switch back to it.

enjoying it so far. (works fine on 4S, think framerate is lower than 1 though).

What's your weapon style of choice?

Dual blade seems fun, but feels a bit 'easy'.

I'm digging how heavy weapons feel though. But I'm not getting the directional blocking stuff.

colinp

Banned
Runs and sounds like a dream on my 4S, no problems with multitasking apps or the like.

Only three fights in but enjoying myself immensely. Really gorgeous game.

But, who is Ilsa?

Runs and sounds like a dream on my 4S, no problems with multitasking apps or the like.

Only three fights in but enjoying myself immensely. Really gorgeous game.

But, who is Ilsa?

No clue. But it does seem like she is introduced in the book.

Speaking of which, is the book any good? It is pretty cheap.

Mrbob

Game runs on my itouch 3G, but just barely. Fun game, seems like attack window is a bit easier in this one, however performance is fairly shameful. I'd say this barely runs on a 3G, so choppy at times.

I think the game needs all the memory it can get. I had to shut down my other apps to get this to run.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Played for about 1-1,5 hour on my iPhone 4, it didn't crash once (the first loading is crazy long though), but the framerate drops are terrible sometimes.
Yeah, I've reset the phone, still the same.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Game runs on my itouch 3G, but just barely. Fun game, seems like attack window is a bit easier in this one, however performance is fairly shameful. I'd say this barely runs on a 3G, so choppy at times.

I think the game needs all the memory it can get. I had to shut down my other apps to get this to run.

doesn't the touch 3G have an A4 in it? I'd have thought it'd run better than that. I have an touch 4G (which internally is identical I think), and an iPad 1 so doesn't sound promising.

megalowho

I am completely baffled by the story.

It's almost charmingly inscrutable. Lots of "Who was that person?" and "Why did I just do that?"

Not really feeling the full on English assault, I thought the fictional language in the first game added to it's atmosphere. Other than that so far it's a lot of fun to play a bigger/better Infinity Blade.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Interested in these reports of sound drop-outs. I played on an iPad 1, iPAd 2, and iPhone 4S and never experienced any outright bugs.

Re: storyline - it's not that confusing. You're the God-King killer from IB1, looking for The Worker of Secrets, the guy that made the Infinity Blade. Worker has been imprisoned... you have to kill three dudes & unlock three locks to release him.

The catch? You have to pay with your blood (ie kill yourself) to unlock each lock. How can you do that and keep coming back over and over? Well, that's the twist, isn't it...

noticable differences in eye candy between iPad 1 and 2?

- J - D -

I'm having a lot of fun. Not having played the original, it's interesting getting a feel for combat. I can't seem to do consistent Perfect Blocks. Tips?

exYle

No clue. But it does seem like she is introduced in the book.

Speaking of which, is the book any good? It is pretty cheap.

Yes, Isa is introduced in the book. I felt she was a very well written character. And yes, the ebook is quite good. I highly recommend it, gives the IB universe a surprising amount of depth.

ACESmkII

New IPhone user here, just downloaded this as my first purchase off of iTunes and my mind is blown!! Not very good at playing this yet but man is it fun and amazing looking.

Mik2121

Man, one thing I don't like about this game is how it tries to sell you stuff and whatnot all the time.

First bloodline done: Please rate us 5 stars (ok.. the game is good so I'll give up this time and rate them..)

Second bloodline done: See how it all began! Click here to buy our book :/

Try to buy something that costs a bit more than the money you got: WANNA GO TO THE STORE AND GET SOME CREDITZ?

Plus, on the main menu there are 3 buttons to buy other content... (the book, the first game and the soundtrack).
Now, if this were a free game, I would understand. But all this "buy our stuff plz plz" just takes you out of the game world so badly. This shit barely happens on consoles, I don't understand why we have to suck it up on iPhone games.. (again, the ones that cost money, for the free ones I can understand)

Otherwise, I restarted the iPhone and now the sound is fixed. Visually I'm really enjoying it and I think the 3d artists did a great job. The story is kinda cool though I'm still not sure about what's going on when you finish a bloodline. I've only finished two, and it kinda reminds me of the Assassin's Creed stuff, though I guess it's different. It's not all that well explained though.

Berksy

The install file on store is like 900MB but game didn't download till I got 2GB if free space. I am on a goddamn 8GB iTouch so I had to erase some videos I recorded. And to think of every little patch will make us download the whole game again...

SmokyDave

The install file on store is like 900MB but game didn't download till I got 2GB if free space. I am on a goddamn 8GB iTouch so I had to erase some videos I recorded. And to think of every little patch will make us download the whole game again...

Thanks to the wonder of iOS5, this is no longer the case.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The game crashes at the start screen (5.0.1). Rebooting and closing all other apps does nothing.

Shame. I might pick it up later on this year when they've ironed out the bugs.

It looks stunning. I can see iPad3 games machine existing next gen consoles.

Oxx

Huh. No record anywhere of me purchasing the game last night. Did I mess-up by attempting to delete it and reinstall it? Did I dream this whole thing?

How long does it take for charges to show up on my card?

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Was excited to play it, now it crashes every time after the logos have passed and a game environment starts up. Frustrating :(.

This is iPad 1 supported right? I didn't see anything saying it wasn't.

The game crashes at the start screen (5.0.1). Rebooting and closing all other apps does nothing.

This happens to me.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Was excited to play it, now it crashes every time after the logos have passed and a game environment starts up. Frustrating :(.

This is iPad 1 supported right? I didn't see anything saying it wasn't.

This happens to me.

People at touch arcade said they had to turn off game centre and icloud to get it to run on ipad 1

Berksy

iTouch fix at TA forums follows as:
Log out from GC
Disable GC
Turn on Airplane Mode

I couldn't connect to GC at my last try to run it and I actually seem to go past the title screen for a few seconds. Then it crashed :lol

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
The artistry and detail of the set pieces and the dynamics added by the particle effects and the lighting can be really stunning at times.

They added too much environmental clutter in some scenes, making those areas less visually consistent and polished than much of the first game and Epic Citadel, but it's definitely a step up overall.

Assuming your device software is working correctly, frame rate and game stability is decent. It's quite solid on my iPad 2.

Playing this on a 4S, runs bug free and butter-smooth and I've only noticed one instance of something you might consider a hick-up. It drains the battery like a motherfucker though and playing while charging doesn't seem like a good idea because of the heat it generates.

Fantastic game though. I'm really surprised how much I'm enjoying this even though I've been playing IB1 excessively for the last week. Chair knocked it out the ballpark with this. Objectively speaking it's much better than IB1.

The graphics are so much of an improvement, it's not even funny. The potions and coinpouches you find in the environment look sometimes a bit out of place (especially the potions, good lord) but other than that and combined with the small screen of the iPhone I'd be hard pressed to find something smoother looking on a non-PC platform, absolutely mindblowing, especially the textures.

Controls seem also a bit tightened up. I always had trouble parrying upward or downward strikes in IB1, but they've fixed that. Blocking and evading are also more responsive. Feels very tight, which I like.

I'm a bit sad about how they've handled the story to be quite honest though. There's a IB short novel on the iBook store which I've mildly enjoyed and they've kinda but not really made it mandatory to read if you want to follow the story. You'll still get the major twist in IB2 but I think it's a bit poorly presented. If you're not in a hurry to play IB2, I'd recommend reading Infinity Blade: Awakening if you're interested in the story. It's roughly 180 pages long.

There are some major and some minor changes in the game, some I like (+), some I don't (-) and some I don't know yet (?):

(+) The attack patterns are much more varied and also longer than in IB1 and it's taking me more time to get used to them.

(+) Enemies can use magic too now, Don't want to go too much into this because it'd spoil the story though. Gameplay-wise it's nice, even though I'm not entirely sure how early you can spot the direction of the spell.

(+) They've reworked the fighting system a bit and added some "depth". It still uses the same foundation but (I think?) you get more exp depending how precise or fast you are. There's also the possibility to get "exhausted" when evading strikes.

(+) The biggest addition are the two new fighting styles IMO. Both with their respective pros and cons, very polished and very fun to play. I still feel most familiar with the balanced light weapon and shield style though.

(-) But every added layer of depth is kinda dumb when you fail to explain it. The new styles are well documented but I have no idea what "exhausted" means in this game. Kinda disappointed in that regard.

(?) You now have an agility stat but it's kinda hidden I think? There's definitely something there but again, it's not explained.

(?) Apparently, you can't sell your weapons anymore when you only have one copy of a weapon left. I suppose it makes sense when you're farther into the game (again, don't want to spoil) and so far I haven't run out of money to buy stuff so it doesn't bother me. Yet.

(+) Gems are a nice addition and also a good source of income. I have way too much of them right now and some are redundant since I haven't sold any. Still, it provides some much needed and substantial personalization.

(+) Love how new areas open up after you finish a certain boss. I ran into a fucking monster without the slightest chance to win though. We'll see how it pans out later in the game, right now it's well done.

(+) Voice-work is decent to good. I like it.

(-) Still hate those joke items. Fucking VGA ring.

(-) The German localization for everything other than the dialogue is atrocious, again. *sigh* Shouldn't matter for you guys though. Changed the system language to English, too many games do this shit and I'm getting tired of it. Yeah, I'm looking at you Civilization Revolution.

Anyway, that's it for now. Details on your OPSAT.

Top Bottom