• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Blade II |OT| Swiping never felt so good

Oxx

Unfortunately the machines we tested on didn’t have massive numbers of apps installed on them so we think this how we think we missed this particular condition.

Good job, guys!

Mike M

Nick N
Dual wielding weapons have much lower attack, but I'm getting more strikes in so it should be comparable, right? It's not. Takes forever to kill an enemy with dual wielding, which is why I think I'm doing something wrong.
I'm not very far in the game, so I haven't noticed any significant differences (If anything, my dual wield kills them faster). The whole point is to score a combo, then your subsequent hits do damage at finishing blow level until the combo ends... So maybe go for a stronger combo finisher? Idunno.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
And before reading the last page I thought the performance on 4 may have something to do with the amount of installed apps.
Wario, how many pages do you have on your 4? I have 3 and two-handed poison sword is unplayable because of the framerate. Restarting the phone and running IB2 as a first app sadly didn't help.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I think I'm gonna hold off for a patch for now, save state bug is baffling and I'm not gonna invest time into a hole. I even deleted my save files from the iCloud settings and restarted the game many times at the beginning and it kept giving me character slot menus with different slots each time. Sometimes I'd have 1 character, sometimes I'd have 4 character slots already saved. Plus it wouldn't even save my game at the first checkpoint.

Also, they posted a thread about iPad1 issues

http://forums.epicgames.com/threads...n-iPad1-and-iPod-Touch-devices-working-to-fix!

edit: Ah I'm late on the URL

As amazing as this game sounds and looks I will pass until they update stability and crashes, I own an ipod touch 4 which will run it but best to wait on it, losing progress randomly will annoy me to no ends.

hm

For example if you have a large number of apps installed iOS must cache all those icons to give you smooth performance when you hit the home button. Unfortunately the machines we tested on didn’t have massive numbers of apps installed on them so we think this how we think we missed this particular condition.
This finally explains why apps in the tray will still effect performance, never thought about it like that, even if the game is not running it's still holding the app image and using up ram.

Mrbob

On my touch 3G I cleared cache, restarted my device (lost my save too as noted before woo!) and didn't get a performance boost. Like someone else noted playing on the 3GS, that battle in the hallway just crushes the frame rate barely able to do anything. Most battles chug, made no difference with my cache cleared.

IGN Wireless should pull their 10/10 review for the time being. Seems strange to reward failure of such a buggy launch with a glowing review.

Well, lost my save again. Thanks Chair for taking my money and giving me a worse product. Funny, in the first game, it saves my progress. Imagine that. Fucking unacceptable.

Zeth

This illustrates the relative immaturity of iOS game reviewing community in general IMO. Countless perfect scores for a game that has glaring technical problems on all but the latest device(s).

I love the game personally and I haven't had any issues on iPad 2/4S but it's clear that there is a vocal group of unhappy buyers.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This illustrates the relative immaturity of iOS game reviewing community in general IMO. Countless perfect scores for a game that has glaring technical problems on all but the latest device(s).

I love the game personally and I haven't had any issues on iPad 2/4S but it's clear that there is a vocal group of unhappy buyers.

This doesn't sound that different from the rest of the video gaming press.

I played an hour, more or less, and without any problem in iPhone4 except the crappy framerate, but now I'm scared to continue playing and finding the save bug.

I played an hour, more or less, and without any problem in iPhone4 except the crappy framerate, but now I'm scared to continue playing and finding the save bug.

My save ended up being restored. This has to be an issue with iCloud up/down loading. Perhaps if iCloud is using the save file when you load the game, the game assumes there is no save file to load and starts fresh?

Yoshiya

That patch better come soon; this lack of testing on Epic and Apple's behalf on 'real world' devices is hard to believe. I deleted a good proportion of my apps that were mostly unused and the intro lasts another second or so before crashing. That's fresh off a reboot too.

Berksy

Finally managed to run the game with some devil trickery -_-'
Better than Infinity Blade in a lot of aspects. Seems like i will be playing this for some time.
Also if you manage to run the game through some trick (ones at forums etc.), when you play the first area and get to the bloodline screen (or have a save game so that intro won't play again?) the game will stop crashing if you close all other apps. At least it worked for me :(

Mrbob

The IGN reader comments for the IB2 review are gold. Battling between Skyrim and IB2 as to what is the better game.

The ironic part is IB2 is probably buggier than Skyrim despite being a much smaller game.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Guess I'm pretty lucky - during the 3+ hours I put into it so far I didn't stumble upon any bug aside from the choppy framerate in some sections (I think turning off all apps helped a bit). Playing it on iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
It seems like if I play on the iPad2, my save is fine. I can see it get stored on my iCloud. But no matter what, it'll always restart from the beginning on my iPhone 4, potentially screwing up the iCloud save as well. So stupid. I really want to play this too, such a shame

Man... I was just staring at the app in the store last night. Wasn't sure if I should buy it or not, but I actually did start to wonder if there would be any bugs or crashing issues. So glad I waited. I hope the fix comes soon cause I'm really looking forward to playing it. That dual wield/poison build someone mentioned earlier sounds lovely!

It seems like if I play on the iPad2, my save is fine. I can see it get stored on my iCloud. But no matter what, it'll always restart from the beginning on my iPhone 4, potentially screwing up the iCloud save as well. So stupid. I really want to play this too, such a shame

that is exactly my issue, to the word. i'm just going to play on ipad 2 for now and forget about icloud, but i would really like that feature to work properly at some point.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Someone told me that if you turn off documents and data under the iCloud settings, it'll fix the save bug. He said it worked for him after rebooting a couple times.

I also read on Toucharcade that someone said just to turn off iClouds altogether. So it seems like iCloud is the culprit.

I can confirm turning off Data and Documents in iCloud settings fixes the save bug. You won't be able to utilize iCloud saves but at least you won't always reboot. They fucked up iCloud implementation somewhere...

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Paging GDJustin to the IB2 thread!

I made it! Whew!

IGN Wireless should pull their 10/10 review for the time being. Seems strange to reward failure of such a buggy launch with a glowing review.

Pull the review? And put what in its place? At what point, SPECIFICALLY, would the review get un-pulled? "When the bugs are fixed" is not specific. Right now if, say, 20% of people are having problem, could the review be put back up at 10%? 5%?

My review score for IB2 and any other game is based on my experience with the game. And I didn't experience any bugs. I still haven't.

So wait a second, in the same breath that you state you haven't had any problems at all, you say that it's the "immaturity" of game reviewers that led to the high scores? Lemme ask you this, then - what would YOUR score be? Would you lower it, for issues you have never experienced or seen first hand? Is that a sign of GREATER critic maturity and integrity, in your eyes?

I've been reviewing and defending cell phone games for nearly six years, since 2006, long before smartphones rose up and people actually started caring.

What's more, you're all lobbing some pretty wild accusations at Chair, and now at game reviewers, with woefully incomplete data. I'm doing my best to be a journalist and gather actual data about the situation.

Those unscientific poll results, so far, have about a third of players experiencing crashes or sound issues. That's a HUGE percentage to be sure, but it's still a significant minority. Should Chair have caught the bugs? Probably. But reviewers? As I said above, the only thing we can do is write based off our own experience.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
And for the record both the ipad 1 and ipad 2 I played IB2 on were literally completely full. I had to delete games to make room for it. I counted, and they had 95 apps a piece on them.

Mrbob

Oh, I didn't even realize you reviewed it! Great, we can talk about it!

I don't have an issue with the review itself. My problem is that with such glowing praise off the review will convince people to buy the game, and with all the issues the game currently having these people are going to end up being frustrated. At the very least I'd think a note about the problems with the game should be added to the end of the review. I noticed there is an article dedicated to it, but I believe it should be noted in the review itself.

Yoshiya

And for the record both the ipad 1 and ipad 2 I played IB2 on were literally completely full. I had to delete games to make room for it. I counted, and they had 95 apps a piece on them.

I asked on the last page, but what iOS version on the iPad 1?

Axion22

Bought without looking at the bug news, got to the fork in the road, came to see how much fun everyone was having. :|

I've got the sound issue & choppy frames (iPhone 4), now I see save bug? Scared to fire it back up now...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This finally explains why apps in the tray will still effect performance, never thought about it like that, even if the game is not running it's still holding the app image and using up ram.

its stupid. Either iOS needs a better way to free up RAM, or developers should know how much they have to play with and stay within those limits.

how do you request a refund from the app store?

Perfect scores for a game that so far is only superficially different from its predecessor is weirder. The new additions really don't change anything.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
With such a large group of people reporting problems it seems really odd that none of the reviewers had any problems. I bought the game in good faith thinking it was going to work based on all the impressions from a number of sources, including IGN Wireless. What I got was a broken game that won't even start up.

People have a right to get upset at that. I do think it's an odd coincidence that no reviewers encountered these bugs but I guess that's what happened. Doesn't change it from being a very shitty release.

FGMPR

Banned
Perfect scores for a game that so far is only superficially different from its predecessor is weirder. The new additions really don't change anything.

In a sense, its the perfect kind of sequel. One that improves the underlying mechanics of the original and improves and expands on them significantly. I don't know what else you were expecting from this (aside from it working without making ipods and ipad 1's shit themselves ;-I ). Comparing it to the jump from many original games to their sequels this generation, and it stacks up pretty well.

I just think yours is a complaint that should be labelled at a lot more of this generations other franchises before this one.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
The advancement to the combat system is huge. Adding multiple fighting styles recognizes that players take different fundamental approaches to blocking, parrying, and dodging and deepens their control over implementing them.

The game packs a ton of content into a tight package without getting nearly as repetitious as the first.

The advancement to the combat system is huge. Adding multiple fighting styles recognizes that players take different fundamental approaches to blocking, parrying, and dodging and deepens their control over implementing them.

The game packs a ton of content into a tight package without getting nearly as repetitious as the first.

In a sense, its the perfect kind of sequel. One that improves the underlying mechanics of the original and improves and expands on them significantly. I don't know what else you were expecting from this (aside from it working without making ipods and ipad 1's shit themselves ;-I ). Comparing it to the jump from many original games to their sequels this generation, and it stacks up pretty well.

I just think yours is a complaint that should be labelled at a lot more of this generations other franchises before this one.

I guess I didn't really feel that any of the changes to the combat made any significant difference. All you're doing is trading in some of the defensive options from having a shield and sword for stronger attacks or quicker combos. It's really not a fundamental or significant change to the combat of the original, it's still the same flow of dodging/blocking/parrying, attacking, then repeat with occasional super and magic.
It's not bad by any means, it's just that the game is getting the usual iOS hyperbolic treatment that most hyped up games receive.

I guess I didn't really feel that any of the changes to the combat made any significant difference. All you're doing is trading in some of the defensive options from having a shield and sword for stronger attacks or quicker combos. It's really not a fundamental or significant change to the combat of the original, it's still the same flow of dodging/blocking/parrying, attacking, then repeat with occasional super and magic.
It's not bad by any means, it's just that the game is getting the usual iOS hyperbolic treatment that most hyped up games receive.

Well, that's really more gameplay changes than most sequels. Yes, there is still the same flow of dodging/blocking/parrying, but well, is the genre, this is like complaining than in Gears 3 or Unchartd 3 you follow with the same shooting-cover mechanics than in the previous iteration.

colinp

Banned
With such a large group of people reporting problems it seems really odd that none of the reviewers had any problems. I bought the game in good faith thinking it was going to work based on all the impressions from a number of sources, including IGN Wireless. What I got was a broken game that won't even start up.

People have a right to get upset at that. I do think it's an odd coincidence that no reviewers encountered these bugs but I guess that's what happened. Doesn't change it from being a very shitty release.

Try to keep a little perspective. This is a $6.99 video game. The creators acknowledge the problems and are working to fix them. You haven't lost your money, your pleasure is just being delayed. It sucks, admittedly, but then so does dying of malaria or cancer. Or having an earthquake send a giant tsunami that wipes along the entire coastline of a small country.

In other words, lighten up.

Somehow I also don't have any problems on my 4S. The reviewers and I got lucky, or maybe you and the rest of the people running in to problems got unlucky. It doesn't change the fact that life will, amazingly, continue, and in a few days or weeks you'll be able to play the game all patched up.

datamage

I've been out of the loop for a little while, and hadn't updated to iOS5 till recently.

Is there a list of games that support saving to the cloud? Or is it all native now? Meaning, can I happily swap between my iPad and iPhone using the same saved data? Or does the game have to specifically support it?

Thanks.

FGMPR

Banned
I've been out of the loop for a little while, and hadn't updated to iOS5 till recently.

Is there a list of games that support saving to the cloud? Or is it all native now? Meaning, can I happily swap between my iPad and iPhone using the same saved data? Or does the game have to specifically support it?

Thanks.

The game has to support it :(

My 8GB ipod touch weeps.

Same. Lost yesterdays progress entirely :(

I reckon I'll go back to Mario 3D Land for my portable fix until this one's finished cooking.

I had the bug for a moment. After quiting out of the app and closing it in the multitasking bar, my save loaded perfectly again.

Then I went home last night and continued my save on my iPad 2 all night. Just got into my office this morning and loaded up the game on my iPhone 4 and my save properly transfer over through iCloud. Something is going on with iCloud, but I'm not sure what it is. But for now, I'm good to go.

The game is amazing. At its core, it's still IB1. But the expanded level/map structure, improved visuals and new additions such as parry/block/dodge goals in combat really have fleshed out the game. Last night was the first time I played a game on my iPad 2 for several hours in a row. IB2 is that good.

PittaGAF

Are these glitches also causing issues with users who have an iphone 4s?

For what is worth...I have an iPhone 4S and had a STELLAR experience with IB2....till some hours ago :)
I lost my save...I was airplaying on the big TV via aTV (which, BTW is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS TO LOOK AT...I could easily trick friends that the game came from the 360 or PS3 beneath if it wasn't for the form factor) and we had an electrical shortage...no more network..AirPlay error...
Reloaded the game...the intro :(
So I restarted the game, sigh.
I feel stupid because I read elsewhere that if you replay the whole intro...automagically the save returns...but I already tried and deleted everything.

But I still love the game, they improved the original on every possible level.
Other the (non trivial) save problem, everything was great.

deduce

Are these glitches also causing issues with users who have an iphone 4s?
I had an issue with the game constantly crashing on my 4S yesterday. I tried the game again today and the issue went away.

Just switched to the hammer. How do you dodge kicks and shield attacks with heavy weapons?

Top Bottom