• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Injustice 2 |OT| Grodd's Among Us

sinkfla87

I'm not feeling how Catwoman has no way to get in on zoners and half of them seem to have better mix-ups than her.

Be patient, and MB roll. When you get in on deadshot he's kind of ass lol. (I know you didn't mention deadshot but he's everyone's Achilles ATM). Just remember deadshot players love that low, overhead string.

patchday

Is there 'seasons' to the ranked ladder where they reset your standings? I guess my win/loss ratio will always be saved eh?

been doing ranked matches so gear only counts as vanity (no stats)

Would do KOTH but no idea where that mode is in the menu. I enjoyed that mode so much in MKX

[edit] found KOTH

SenkiDala

Yeah, but it's not same than actually throw a controller that can hit someone in the face! xD

To be fair most players are above this type of behavior. I can think of three controller throwing instances in most of my FGC viewing over the last 7 or 8 years and they're from notoriously salty players.

Like that time Sanford Kelly hucked a stick after getting read like a book

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwjMZ8nFgIM

Damn... I understand that you can get frustrated but I've never thrown a controller or a stick! :O And you're right, pro players are usually very very calm person (at least it's what they show) because they need to concentrate, and before becoming pro they lost thousands of times, so they're used to it. :)

Depends on the TO, when I was TOing small tournaments I would happily throw someone out if they

a) Posed any significant threat of harm to anyone else
b) Broke or damaged anything (unjustifiably) that wasn't their own

Apologising, offering to pay for the damage, etc. is not good enough. You shouldn't break shit, you shouldn't risk hurting someone by throwing a controller randomly across the room, etc.

I only ever had that issue with one person at my events and we basically spoke to them about it and told them that they weren't welcome at future events etc. I wouldn't welcome people like F.Champ attend, who is known to belittle and threaten people, as well as break equipment that he does not own. Good job 99.9% of the FGC isn't like that, but the ones that are really stand out in these online videos and whatnot that people bring to everyone's attention.

Yeah, the problem is not he broke his controller, even if it's dumb, but he could seriously hit someone in the face, even if it's not his purpose of course.

People, don't hurt someone for losing at a videogame. :D Even if they're a big cashprice. :p

delSai

Decided to buy Vixen since i'll be playing Cheetah most of the time anyway. The 2nd purchase will be difficult to decide.

Hasney

Sweet, Supergirl in AI endless is going up 6 levels an hour right now and just have a mug over the X button on turbo. Even when/if she fails, the AI is so braindead early in that Batman will keep winning a couple and keep some loot coming in.

Hasney

Is there anyway to keep gear on but not have the the stat boosts? I love the way it looks but sometimes want an even match.

Online you can play ranked or agree with your opponent to turn gear off. Believe you can just turn off the stats local too. Triangle at character select screen.

Sad to see you're not enjoying yourself, but I can't agree with any of it. DF moves do come out if there's a diagonal in there, and your description of the combo system and neutral game is as shallow as your reproach. :/

I think it's ironic that you would call my reproach shallow but not support your own argument. At least my argument had content, no? I don't take issue with your disagreement, it's good to have discussion and debate, but if you're going to disagree, actually express why you disagree. Your post essentially reads as 'your opinion is shallow because I don't agree with it'. It's really arbitrary, and as I say, ironic considering the issue you take with my own post.

I don't think the game is absolutely without depth or anything like that, just that it has comparably less than other fighting games (and I think there's plenty of evidence from Injustice 1 tournaments to support that), while at the same time, it has a needless, surface level inaccessibility that makes it difficult to pick up and play for new players. For what it's worth, this is not an uncommon opinion, Injustice's neutral game is frequently criticised, even on Testyouright. Heck, it's not uncommon that people complain about SFVs neutral game and reference the fact that without footsies it's 'close to' playing like Injustice, which they see as a bad thing.

Tidalwave

My friend was collecting mother boxes for me and removed me from the guild. Can I please be put back in House of Ls 1? PSN is Tidalwaves.

Spinky

Felt a new wallpaper was in order since it looks like I'm maining Robin.
WndN.png
Feel free to steal.

I picked this game up and I think the story and production values are cool. It's a fun, cinematic game to play.

But I think the core gameplay is trash. It's neither accessible enough to be fun for new players, or in-depth enough in the long term to be interesting to spectate or learn to play for veterans of fighting games (in my opinion).

For new players coming to the game it's incredibly inaccessible, new players want to be able to do things just by pressing buttons, and the game ties everything interesting to relatively complex inputs. Neither of the two options, (alternative or standard) are 'accessible', the regular inputs say that they are 'wrong' if the user inputs the buttons in between the motion (e.g. if the motion is down, forward, and the player presses down, down +forward, forward, the move doesn't come out).

There's this intentional, surface level inaccessibility that acts as a barrier to new players, However at the same time, underneath this the game isn't that complex. Combos are unsophistiated, rote memorsation with very little technique or timing, just requiring the inputs are performed and then accepting the sequence. The neutral game is brain dead, a back and forth between special attacks, with none of the subtly or strategy that comes from the myriad of options that are prominent in other games (i.e. all of the regular attacks that compose the neutral game in SFV, or all of the assist options and specials that feature in Marvel).

This is just my experience from playing it with 15-20 people this week, many of them inexperienced Netherrealms games. It was very apparent that they just didn't 'get it' they frequently describe disliking how it doesn't feel like their moves flow. Many of them reference games like Soul Calibur, Tekken and Marvel and seem to like how the moves flow in those games. Even in Street Fighter though, a new player can get to grips with the game a lot faster... in SFV you can teach a player to play a character like Rashid, using only cr.HP and cr.mp (anti air and poke). These games, (Tekken, SC, Marvel, SF, DoA, Virtual Fighter, are accessible, easy to play.

Essentially what I'm saying is that the game has a steep learning curve, but that curve plateaus pretty quickly, and many other fighting games, have a more gradual learning curve, but one that ends up up much higher. In that respect, I think Injustice is a bad game. It fails to address two big issues in fighting games right now which are onboarding and general accessibility (the tutorials are pretty bad and the game is not easy to pick up and play) and at the same time it features less depth, and less interesting mechanics for veterans of the genre.

Feel free to disagree. Everything here is just my personal opinion. I don't regret buying the game, it's been fun over the last few days, but with Tekken 7 coming out in two weeks, I'm not going to be sticking with this one.
Teach me to play rashid :)

Khezu

Felt a new wallpaper was in order since it looks like I'm maining Robin.

Feel free to steal.

Daddy Superman needs to have a long talk to Damian about watching too much anime.

It's a shame Batman won, if Superman was still president anime would be illegal.

There's this intentional, surface level inaccessibility that acts as a barrier to new players, However at the same time, underneath this the game isn't that complex. Combos are unsophistiated, rote memorsation with very little technique or timing, just requiring the inputs are performed and then accepting the sequence. The neutral game is brain dead, a back and forth between special attacks, with none of the subtly or strategy that comes from the myriad of options that are prominent in other games (i.e. all of the regular attacks that compose the neutral game in SFV, or all of the assist options and specials that feature in Marvel)

I'd argue that high level combo execution is harder in this game that in SFV and the way air to air and anti-air attacks lead to juggle states along with how the animations flow mean that you need to improvise on how to juggle more so than other 2D fighters then on top of that you need to be extremely cognisant of how your resources are building at all times. Sure, there are some combos that are dial-in (like in all fighters) but other characters need some really tricky timing to execute max damage and confirms.

As for the neutral game, I think you can say that for any fighter played at a low level. Maybe wait a month or two before making your mind up on how things play out at the highest level. I'm maining Catwoman right now and all my damage comes from my use of normals.

Khezu

Injustice's neutral game is a lot better then the first one, but depending on the characters/matchups/players, it can easily devolve into both players sitting across the screen trying out ground pound each other.

I feel like unlike Injustice 1, when people get more comfortable with their characters, they will be less reliant on specials. The walk speed and normals across the board seem better then the first.

Grimsen

I think it's ironic that you would call my reproach shallow but not support your own argument. At least my argument had content, no? I don't take issue with your disagreement, it's good to have discussion and debate, but if you're going to disagree, actually express why you disagree. Your post essentially reads as 'your opinion is shallow because I don't agree with it'. It's really arbitrary, and as I say, ironic considering the issue you take with my own post.

I don't think the game is absolutely without depth or anything like that, just that it has comparably less than other fighting games (and I think there's plenty of evidence from Injustice 1 tournaments to support that), while at the same time, it has a needless, surface level inaccessibility that makes it difficult to pick up and play for new players. For what it's worth, this is not an uncommon opinion, Injustice's neutral game is frequently criticised, even on Testyouright. Heck, it's not uncommon that people complain about SFVs neutral game and reference the fact that without footsies it's 'close to' playing like Injustice, which they see as a bad thing.

As hard as I try, I can't see this "layer of inaccessibility" you keep talking about. Moves are easy to pull off, strings too. Supers have no execution barrier and interactibles are simple. New players to fighting games can mash strings without risk of failure, and none of what I just listed would be foreign to someone that's a bit more familiar with fighters like SF and Tekken.

Depth is another matter entirely, and IJ1 was not a lesser game than its peers, imo. You mention its tournament scene like it's damning evidence, but I'm not sure you're trying to say if it was short-lived, or that it had no meta.

A short shelf life means nothing (see Soul Calibur 5), and as far as metagame goes, it was fine from what I remember.

Anyhoo, depth and longevity and accessibility are two very separate beasts. It's way too early to talk about depth, and as far as accessibility goes, if this thread is any indication, people are pleased.

Durden77

Online you can play ranked or agree with your opponent to turn gear off. Believe you can just turn off the stats local too. Triangle at character select screen.

this is why I've only been doing ranked to turn off stats. Now once I'm L20 with maxed items it wont matter as much :)

Well I'm playing local. We want the gear on but not the stats lol. There doesn't seem to be an option for that. Triangle doesn't seem to give us the options.

Kashiwaba

I bought a fighting game at release and am enjoying it. It's weird.

Capcom has alot to learn from NRS and hopefully they do I'm really looking forward MVC:I, dammit i need to stop reading this thread, Everytime i read what people are saying here i lose my will and start thinking about buying this game, i need to wait till the next payday. ><°°°.

Gurrry

My friend was collecting mother boxes for me and removed me from the guild. Can I please be put back in House of Ls 1? PSN is Tidalwaves.

Same shit happened to me a few days ago. What a terrible design decisions to have it so that tapping X will remove you from your guild.

Slaythe

Hey GAF guild 1, SpiderTheMad and I are trying to do a boss fight coop, can one of you join us ?

I sent invite to almost everyone.

So it seems like Robin is going to be very difficult to use against what the top tiers are shaping up to be.

Anyway, I have been putzing around with supergirl, Robin, poison ivy, and captain cold.

What's the best thing to focus on to start out with a new character? It seems like individual normals aren't very useful in this game and you should mostly be using strings to do footsies. So learning all the strings and their advantages or disadvantages might be best to learn first.

You can't activate the burn until the end of the dash so if anybody throws a projectile chances are the it will hit before you have armour.

The MB comes out fast enough. I've used it in game when facing predicable spam.

giphy.gif

The armor also does absorb a shot if you get hit.

giphy.gif

This is practice mode, and while tricky to get in game I've done it in a match.

Magwik

Banned
The MB comes out fast enough. I've used it in game when facing predicable spam.

giphy.gif

The armor also does absorb a shot if you get hit.

giphy.gif

This is practice mode, and while tricky to get in game I've done it in a match.

Yeah meter burning her dash is one of the best parts of her kit

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
So it seems like Robin is going to be very difficult to use against what the top tiers are shaping up to be.

Anyway, I have been putzing around with supergirl, Robin, poison ivy, and captain cold.

What's the best thing to focus on to start out with a new character? It seems like individual normals aren't very useful in this game and you should mostly be using strings to do footsies. So learning all the strings and their advantages or disadvantages might be best to learn first.

See what strings cancel into moves, which strings are overhead/low, see if any lead to a bounce or pop up of some kind and work out a general bread and butter. That's what I go for anyway.

A problem I used to have is spending way too much time doing combo grinding and nothing else which left my neutral and defense to be weak, so seeing what strings are good to use not just in combos but in general play is good too. Like which ones lunge forward to punish a move.

Top Bottom