• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Injustice: Gods Among Us |OT| With Super Friends Like These, Who Needs Enemies?

What if a hybrid system was used? Like if certain moves had slightly different properties online and offline. So Deathstroke's pistol shots would have slightly longer recovery or slightly less blockstun online, but would remain untouched offline? I mean, offline tourney players don't generally practice online anyway right?

For reasons too mired up in past bullshit and drama (MKvsDC online saga) this would be a horrible idea. While it's true that online experience should be taken with a grain of salt when transitioning to offline, devs should keep striving to match the offline experience, not further separate the two. Then you'd see even more people who choose to stay online instead of going to offline meetups and tourneys because their character is "better" online.

As said before, fighting game balance should never be based on online. For that reason these Deathstroke nerfs irritate me on principle and I don't even play him.

sephi22

Unless that's where you're getting 99% of your feed back. Which is usually the case.
It will always be the case. Some things will always be harder to deal with online. That doesn't mean you should neuter your characters just to appease the 99%.

What if a hybrid system was used? Like if certain moves had slightly different properties online and offline. So Deathstroke's pistol shots would have slightly longer recovery or slightly less blockstun online, but would remain untouched offline? I mean, offline tourney players don't generally practice online anyway right?.
Unfortunately many of them do. 80-90% of the people who show up in tourneys play and practice online. This includes me. If I get used to online timings and punishes, then I'd get blown up offline.

As said before, fighting game balance should never be based on online. For that reason these Deathstroke nerfs irritate me on principle and I don't even play him.
Same. DS is in my least 10 played characters. He only deserved a nerf if his tools made some matchups 8-2 or above in his favor.
However, the nerfs he's received are significant. On one hand, I like the fact that I can kill DS'es easier now. On the other, this sets a very bad precedent. People will find someone else to complain about now. I can almost hear the soul crush and jump laser complaints coming.

Unfortunately many of them do. 80-90% of the people who show up in tourneys play and practice online. This includes me. If I get used to online timings and punishes, then I'd get blown up offline.

That's unfortunate. Hopefully netcode will eventually get to the point where online is closer to offline. Isn't GGPO in 3D (graphically) fighting games a possiblity for next gen? I thought I read somewhere that Capcom considered it for SF4 but it didn't make the cut since it was too processor-intensive to maintain 60FPS. More powerful hardware could potentially brute force GGPO into more graphically complicated fighting games.

Khezu

In all honesty, I'm surprised they even designed a character like Deathstroke in the first place, they had to have known he would only cause bitching, especially with there not so great netcode.

Its assumed because offline deathstroke isnt really an issue and the balance nerfs seem overly harsh

I disagree. I thought Deathstroke was one of the best characters in the game and these nerfs are appropriate and he remains extremely good.

He had dominate zoning as well as one of the best sweep distance games. He'll live.

Grecco

I disagree. I thought Deathstroke was one of the best characters in the game and these nerfs are appropriate and he remains extremely good.

He had dominate zoning as well as one of the best sweep distance games. He'll live.

Judging from the past big tournaments hes already non existant when he was "top tier" i dont think you will see deathstroke players in top 8 of a major tournament any time soon

Judging from the past big tournaments hes already non existant when he was "top tier" i dont think you will see deathstroke players in top 8 of a major tournament any time soon

What are you talking about, Aris has been consistent top at every WNF and has won 2. He placed well at Vindication too. Do only East Coast tournaments count? Sorry there's been like two where DS didn't do well.

Regardless, the tournament life is young and I know there are superior Deathstroke players that haven't played in tournament yet. I predict a DS places at UFGT this weekend. And I say that not knowing if the patch is legal. I do not think it'd matter.

i see your point but seeing as 99 percent of matches will be played online, shouldn't online be priority

Gameplay tweaks/balancing should always take the offline play into account as:

a) Tournament play is paramount to a fighting game's longevity, appeal and community, and
b) no matter what, you can't account for every situation and every connection online. It would be a wild-goose chase to keep trying to balance based on online when everyone's experience is different.

The priority for online is about handling latency and again, trying to mimic the offline gameplay experience as closely as possible. For players that are mostly online, this goal still benefits you as this helps things you do against your friends, tourney/local meetup opponents, single player a.i. or even the practice mode dummy work more consistently online.

Even if you look at it as a business decision, after the initial week 1/month 1 marketing hype of most modern games, sales generally slow down especially now that we're at the end of the console cycle. Having a healthy tournament scene that generates buzz and keeps people talking and watching the game months and years after release is what will perpetually attract new fans.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
I'm just gonna throw this out there based off one hour of urrrrrrrley impressions.

Batgirl might end up being one of the best characters in the game. I'll put down $10 Bison dollars. Who's in?

vocab

Who cares about that deathstroke nerf. Fuck that character. Dunno why they made zoning characters like Sinestro, and thought it was a good idea to make something like deathstroke.

Silver_key

Neo Member
Was I the only person having issues doing reversal attacks after DS guns (except with BA black magic)? Still, I considered that my fault more than the game/character was broken.

Kizer

Who cares about that deathstroke nerf. Fuck that character. Dunno why they made zoning characters like Sinestro, and thought it was a good idea to make something like deathstroke.

Because they both fit a different type of zoning.

Sinestro, true to his personality, cares very much about being in control. Many of his abilities are designed to make you move like he wants you to. A Sinestro player should aim to make the other person think that EVERY options is a bad one.

Deathstroke, on the other hand, is set up to break armor. Every other zoner in the game fires one shot at a time. Deathstroke fires multiple. This makes things like Lex and Doomsday's trait armor totally useless. Some of his close range options aren't terrible, either.

Gbraga

Can't wait for some good Batgirl videos, can't watch streams right now :/

Didn't buy Lobo because I thought he looked boring in the reveal trailer, but Batgirl was awesome.

El Sloth

Banned
Welp, Batgirl seems really really good. Her teleport is so quick it looks instant.

RIP zoners. RIP Deathstroke and Sinestro.

Guess I should learn a pocket Black Adam.

I'm sure Deathstroke can do his sword flip and Sinestro can Boulder if they read the teleport correctly.

V_Arnold

It will always be the case. Some things will always be harder to deal with online. That doesn't mean you should neuter your characters just to appease the 99%.

Why exactly? Because you have aspirations to be in the 1 percent, or already are?
Do you know how arrogant that statement sounds, btw? There are very few places where a sane person could say this without sounding really, really obnoxious - and yeah, FGC/Esports is one of them...

..but then again, we are not talking about SCII here or SSFIV:AE patches. It is INJUSTICE. The FGC scene shall survive.

MGrant

Harley is awesome. But nerfing her was unnecessary.

Word. She has trouble with zoning, she has trouble with pressure. Pretty much her only strength is neutral game at jump-in range, and even that's not so hot against the top tiers. No nerfs were necessary. I'd rather see her get a bigger hitbox on d.2, one of the worst uppercuts in the game, and good God does she need reduced cooldown on her trait, which is not safe at any time.

So I finally got the game yesterday for PS3, tried everyone's super, and I now wanna main Black Adam, cuz he's got a badass stance XP.
Hook me up with those BA strats, broskis.

Your main combo is gonna be 1, 1, 2 xx Black Magic (db1) dash b2, 3 up 1+3. There are fancier ones, but this one is easy to confirm and does good damage for how easy it is. 1, 1, 2 is a pretty good string too, I'm pretty sure it's safe on block and it's also an overhead.

J2 and footdive are really good for neutral game, a lot of characters have a hard time punishing footdive and it can help get around a lot of zoning. You can use his trait to cancel out of any string as well, so you can do a lot of stuff like 1, 1 xx Trait b2, Lightning Cage (db3). I like to harass people from full screen with Black Magic into lightning (df2). Test Your Might has a lot of good info on him.

Your main combo is gonna be 1, 1, 2 xx Black Magic (db1) dash b2, 3 up 1+3. There are fancier ones, but this one is easy to confirm and does good damage for how easy it is. 1, 1, 2 is a pretty good string too, I'm pretty sure it's safe on block and it's also an overhead.
J2 and footdive are really good for neutral game, a lot of characters have a hard time punishing footdive and it can help get around a lot of zoning. You can use his trait to cancel out of any string as well, so you can do a lot of stuff like 1, 1 xx Trait b2, Lightning Cage (db3). I like to harass people from full screen with Black Magic into lightning (df2). Test Your Might has a lot of good info on him.

You shoul dalso be able to activate your gimmick during the dash following black magic. Not sure one the diminishing return but it may be worth it.

Top Bottom