• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Injustice: Gods Among Us |OT| With Super Friends Like These, Who Needs Enemies?

Grimsen

I haven't found a good way to land an overhead with Green Lantern. His forward 3 seems like it would be great, but its range is non-existent.

If your opponent is within range of Lantern's Might and is scared to jump, you could approach with b+3 dash-cancel into a f+3 or b+1 mixup. Once they catch on you can armor your f+3.

TDLink

The ticker in online mode confirms there is a costume unlock at 25 ranked wins but no one seems to be able to get it to find out what it is yet. I really hope that doesn't mean consecutive.

sephi22

Alright some 30-ish hours, two 35+ win streaks, 350+ online matches later here are my impressions.

Characters:

Aquaman:
Mr. Jack-of-all-trades. I like to think of him as the Ryu of this game. I think right now he's got the least number of bad matchups. He's got an answer for everything, but he doesn't excel in one area. He can play good keepaway, and can even hang against Deathstroke, but a Deathstroke player of equal skill should win against Aquaman ideally. I've lost to exactly 1 Deathstroke online. I've fought more than 2 dozen.

His combos are easy to do. His overheads have amazing reach, but I feel he will go down in tiers soon (but still be upper mid) because he doesn't have mixups or quick overheads. Both his command overheads have a long startup and can be reacted to. His main BnB starts with a low, so you've got no reason to block high against him. In he does an overhead, just react to it. He's always going to be an excellent punish character. Punish from full screen with a 20% 1 meter combo, or punish up close with a 30% combo.

Solomon Grundy:
Fun. Fun. Fun. Aquaman's boring. Grundy is entertaining for everyone in the lobby. His chain grabs are easier to do than I thought. The fact that you can combo into them from a ground combo or even a juggle makes landing them even more satisfying. Getting in with him is tough, but its a matter of landing one ex swamp hands. Once that hits, you have the freedom to dash in using his amazing forward dash and land 35-50% combos. His mixup game on the opponent's wakeup is sick too. However, he's weak on his own wakeup. And he can get easily zoned out.

He's better than the average fighting game grappler because he's got the kind of tools that grapplers in other fighting games don't usually get. In fact, he just might be my favorite grappler in any fighting game ever. And I'm not even using all his tools to full extent, like the ex air grab or the poison mist.

Systems:

Clash System:
Love it. Sure the animations can get boring but conceptually, its the best version of the breaker/burst concept I've ever seen. It takes meter management to a whole another level. Hopefully they can patch in a quick clash option that skips the initial animation.

Stage Transitions:
Don't like them too much. Too big of a reward for a player to land a wall bounce near the end of the stage. Also they take too much time.

Stage Interactions:
Mixed. I love using them, and I doubt anyone abuses them as much as I do. But at the end of the day, there are certain interactables in certain stages that certain characters can do nothing about. I mean, literally as soon as the announcer says 'Begin' you opponent can jump in the air and use the thing and there is nothing you can do about it.

I love the added depth because of them, but making them unblockable is overkill. There was a stream where someone meter burnt their interactable throw to make it unblockable. Every interactable I've used has been unblockable so I don't know what that was about, but if it was something that was patched out, they need to patch it back in.

Online:

Netcode:
Netcode's been okay so far. I've had one match that had input delay and one that was a slideshow, but every other match has been playable, if not smooth. The game's been matching me with other west coast players so it would be absurd if it wasn't smooth. Its a solid 6/10. Much better than MK9. I'd put it on par with SSF4 netcode.

Online features:
The online suite in this game is amazing. King of the Hill, Survivor and 1v1 all work great. The various ways of betting to get more xp in KOTH lobbies, giving yourself challenges, daily challenges, etc. make it so that there's always something you're working towards.
You can also join 100 man rooms MK9 style (no chat this time). But there is text chat in KOTH lobbies.
The hero card is a bit broken (I can see other people's hero card but not my own) and I hope it gets fixed soon. The only feature that's missing is the ability to quick match in 1v1. I'd give this a 8.5/10.

Conclusion: Its been a while since a fighting game hooked me. TTT2, Blazblue Extend and NUNS3 were my last 3 fighting game purchases and while all 3 are great games, I wasn't addicted to them. Injustice is addictive kinda like Marvel 3 is. Its not replacing Marvel as my main game but its a nice second.

The ticker in online mode confirms there is a costume unlock at 25 ranked wins but no one seems to be able to get it to find out what it is yet. I really hope that doesn't mean consecutive.
I've had that many consecutive ranked wins. The game had the popup telling me I unlocked it but I pressed it away too quickly. Let me check.
EDIT: Its a Nightwing New 52 costume. I know this because the only two characters I have that have 3 costumes are Nightwing and Lantern. I got Green Lantern's Yellow Lantern costume after my first ranked win. So the other one is this.

I've had that many consecutive ranked wins. The game had the popup telling me I unlocked it but I pressed it away too quickly. Let me check.
EDIT: Its a Nightwing New 52 costume. I know this because the only two characters I have that have 3 costumes are Nightwing and Lantern. I got Green Lantern's Yellow Lantern costume after my first ranked win. So the other one is this.

I don't think Nightwing New 52 is from 25 Ranked wins as I only bothered to get 10 for the achievement then went straight to player lobbies and I have that alt.

TDLink

No, I have that one. Nightwing New 52 unlocks upon reaching level 30.

Nudull

Banned
Have been playing for quite a bit, now. I've been finding Aquaman, Green Lantern and Shazam really fun to play, so far, and the story mode is pretty lovely. May have to dig into a few combo vids and guides before I play online, though. :lol

Ferrio

Banned
Solomon Grundy:
Fun. Fun. Fun. Aquaman's boring. Grundy is entertaining for everyone in the lobby. His chain grabs are easier to do than I thought. The fact that you can combo into them from a ground combo or even a juggle makes landing them even more satisfying. Getting in with him is tough, but its a matter of landing one ex swamp hands. Once that hits, you have the freedom to dash in using his amazing forward dash and land 35-50% combos. His mixup game on the opponent's wakeup is sick too. However, he's weak on his own wakeup. And he can get easily zoned out.

How do you avoid his throws on wakeup? Does jump work? I swore I couldn't avoid it no matter what.

Fehyd

Banned
I'm still learning GL, definitely sad I don't have an iOS device to get arguably his best costume.

Need to do some research after beating the story mode.

RkOwnage

Potentially looking for a group of gaffers to do some of the lobby based stuff online in the game. None of my buddies got the game on PS3 (yet) and I prefer the PS3 over 360/WiiU for fighters. Anyone got a group of players and can fit one more in for me to take some notes for my review?

PSN: Rkownage

Xevren

How the fuck do you people play online? After playing offline only the last 2 days nothing comes out at all. Seriously. A simple special will not come out in a chain ever.

Fehyd

Banned
Potentially looking for a group of gaffers to do some of the lobby based stuff online in the game. None of my buddies got the game on PS3 (yet) and I prefer the PS3 over 360/WiiU for fighters. Anyone got a group of players and can fit one more in for me to take some notes for my review?

Your name seems familiar... I feel like you might've beaten the tar out of me recently.

TDLink

Hey guys, how does the single player content in this compare to other fighters?

Absolutely trounces them. There is at least twice as much content in this game than any other fighter.

Full Story mode
Arcade endings for every character
Over 20 different types of Arcade ladders
10 "missions" for each character

Alternate Costumes, Concept Art, Background Music, Hero Card pieces to unlock

Ferrio

Banned

PSN: Ferrio

KevinCow

Banned
Is Hawkgirl any good? I like her character.

I've been doing pretty well with her, but I worry that she might not be as versatile as some other characters.

But the sound that comes with smacking dudes with a mace more than makes up for any deficiencies she might have.

kunonabi

I'm never ordering from BB again. My copy has been in the city for like 4 days and it still isn't here. I don't know they do this ups => usps handoff if it just slows everything down.

Huh, went 7 and 3 in my first king of the hill, lost 2 and went on a 7 win streak. Nightwing seems to be able to handle Deathstroke gunspam with appropriate timing, was kind of amusing because after my first 3 wins everyone went straight to Deathstroke to take me out.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
I am the stupidest gaffer. I finally get my preordered game and I realize I got the ps3 version by accident....I do have a perfectly fine ps3, but I hate playing games online with psn. Can I just go to a wal mart and get a replacement that still includes preorder bonus and the free mk vs dc game in the deal?

I am the stupidest gaffer. I finally get my preordered game and I realize I got the ps3 version by accident....I do have a perfectly fine ps3, but I hate playing games online with psn. Can I just go to a wal mart and get a replacement that still includes preorder bonus and the free mk vs dc game in the deal?

I'd say as long as it's unopened and you have a receipt they'll take it back.

Top Bottom