• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider - “I'm confident that we will hear more from Sony this Q3, next year might be their most important, and one of the best years this Generation”

Fabieter

So it's okay if Nintendo takes their time, but not when Sony does it?
I didn’t mean to suggest that if it’s good or bad; it’s just that Nintendo's schedule is probably lacking because they have new hardware coming up. And honestly if you ask me that’s a better reason for their silence than simply holding back for no particular reason.

Killjoy-NL

I didn’t mean to suggest that if it’s good or bad; it’s just that Nintendo's schedule is probably lacking because they have new hardware coming up. And honestly if you ask me that’s a better reason for their silence than simply holding back for no particular reason.
Sony has a reason, you just don't like it.

NEbeast

0ZVEM40.jpeg
This shit is hilarious coming from you of all people.
greece looks GIF

EruditeHobo

You are right, my initial point still stands with the raise of digital and mtx ;). Pretty useless statement.

You aren't making an argument. You're arguing with numbers and evidence with "we'll see in 5 years!"

Don't know who you're trying to convince other than yourself with that, but it's not effective at all. Just FYI. ;)

ZehDon

I mean, 'two major titles a year' is very different to just 'two titles a year', which is what you originally said. And yes, anyone expecting it to be all big blockbusters will be disappointed, but there will be a variety of projects that could make it such a good year, from Housemarque's new IP to XDEV's collaborations....
Semantically, sure, but being as Sony's plan has been known for quite a while, making reference to it shouldn't require specificity in context of this thread. Sony have laid out their plans well in advance.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
No shit - Pro is releasing in Q4 this year so we're likely getting showcases before that in Q3. We already know GTA 6 and Death Stranding 2 are releasing next year as well, and a whole bunch of other stuff which hasn't even been announced yet.

100% THIS!

yurinka

I specifically mentioned online multiplayer and cloud saves. They can charge for everything else and see how that goes. I'd love to see a source for all the things they supposedly cover because I've never read anything about that.
Who do you think is going to pay their server costs? Nintendo or some magic fairy? It's just common sense, you don't need a source for that.

Regarding the dedicated servers for gameplay not sure if they mentioned it publicly, maybe it's only shared internally with cerfitied PS devs unde NDA, but it's pretty much well known. As I remember at the start of PS3 generation they didn't allow devs to have their own servers outside PSN but later in the generation started to allow external servers.

Also, they claimed to have sold the PS5 at a loss and still do. Do you have a source for that as well.
The last time Sony mentioned was Totoki, I think in the fiscal year report presentation back in May. If not, in the one of the previous quarter. As I remember, before that the previous time they mentioned it was when JJim Ryan did explain why they had to rise prices.

So basically with the higher investment on tradional games the game output will stay about the same with raising budgets yiipie.

If they actually find success with their games-as-a-service push, I highly doubt they’ll change anything. They’ll just keep investing more and more into it. They also said at one point that there are more than those 12 games are coming that was just until 2026.
Yes, the majority of game revenue comes from GaaS and keeps growing every year. So they don't want to commit suicide in the long term getting stuck making only SP non-GaaS games, that would be dumb.

No, they didn't say to have more than 12. They originally mentioned that wanted to have more than 10 IPs with GaaS tittles by March 2026. Later specified that thay planned to have 12 IPs by March 2026. And later said that were in the middle of reviewing them and that no longer had the March 2025 deadline, because out of the reviewed 6 were locked to be released before that date and the other ones were being reviewed and some of them weren't likely to reach it. Months later we saw that a handful of these titles got cancelled and apparently replaced in the "12 IPs with GaaS" by the Bungie ones.

Both Xbox and Playstation have become locked into "just wait til next year bro" death spirals.

What a great generation this is.
Lol, no. Sony broke their record of fastest selling games with titles released in 2020, 2022, 2023 and 2024. And basically every year has console exclusives as GOTY candidates or winner.

This year Sony has a dozen games released or announecd to be released plus 3 late PC ports plus the PS1/PS2/PSP classics.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Who do you think is going to pay their server costs? Nintendo or some magic fairy? It's just common sense, you don't need a source for that.

Regarding the dedicated servers for gameplay not sure if they mentioned it publicly, maybe it's only shared internally with cerfitied PS devs unde NDA, but it's pretty much well known. As I remember at the start of PS3 generation they didn't allow devs to have their own servers outside PSN but later in the generation started to allow external servers.

So wait do you think stuff like sea of thieves is using sony paid servers or something all that crossplay games available today on Playstation are all paid by ps plus money? Are you for real? No it's free money for sony. And don't come with the "free games" (which mostly suck) most people don't even claim those games and when you don't do that it doesn't costs sony a penny.

I get the enhanced stuff but the basic sub is a scam.

yurinka

So wait do you think stuff like sea of thieves is using sony paid servers or something all that crossplay games available today on Playstation are all paid by ps plus money? Are you for real?
I didn't say that at all. I think I explained very clearly in the first response of this post.

All the PSN releated things I mentioned there (pretty likely there are more I forgot) are paid by Sony. Games who have multiplayer with peer-to-peer only use that.

Some online multiplayer games use dedicated servers for their gameplay instead of peer-to-peer. In case of dedicated server they can provide their own ones (stored normally at Amazon AWS, Azure or Google Cloud etc) or rented instead at PSN cloud.

No it's free money for sony. And don't come with the "free games" (which mostly suck) most people don't even claim those games and when you don't do that it doesn't costs sony a penny. I get the enhanced stuff but the basic sub is a scam.
You are desilusional, the many things I mentioned in the first response of this post for many dozens of millions of players per month cost many millions they are not free and same goes with putting monthly games and discounts in PS+ Essential, they aren't free money: they cost money to Sony.

Killjoy-NL

Semantically, sure, but being as Sony's plan has been known for quite a while, making reference to it shouldn't require specificity in context of this thread. Sony have laid out their plans well in advance.
It's not just semantically and context is very much key, because as pointed out there is big difference between "2 big titles a year" and "2 titles a year".

Fabieter

I didn't say that at all. I think I explained very clearly in the first response of this post.

All the PSN releated things I mentioned there (pretty likely there are more I forgot) are paid by Sony. Games who have multiplayer with peer-to-peer only use that.

Some online multiplayer games use dedicated servers for their gameplay instead of peer-to-peer. In case of dedicated server they can provide their own ones (stored normally at Amazon AWS, Azure or Google Cloud etc) or rented instead at PSN cloud.

You are desilusional, the many things I mentioned in the first response of this post for many dozens of millions of players per month cost many millions they are not free and same goes with putting monthly games and discounts in PS+ Essential, they aren't free money: they cost money to Sony.

Developers are using Sony's framework, which is why Sony takes a 30% cut from every copy sold. Peer-to-peer connections simply use the players' internet to save costs.

The discounts are free money too actually. I compared it to other platforms, and to get the same deals, you have to subscribe to PlayStation Plus. Alot of times those games are on sales on multiple platforms.

I get that things like game streaming aren't free, but the basic subscription is pretty much useless. People only subscribe because multiplayer is locked behind it, and I can't understand how anyone can defend paid multiplayer in 2024.

Also that plus is helping to have cheaper consoles is funny considering the ps5 is the first console to actually raise prices mid generation in most of its territories. Insanity. Yes i know weak yen, weak economic blabla but if plus is used for that whats the problem.

Last edited:

kaizenkko

Well, PS5 is having a good year with games like FF VII Rebirth, Stellar Blade, Helldivers 2 and the upcoming Astro Bot. A lot of these games are not made by Sony own studios, but they at least have find a way to serve their userbase with good content while their first-party studios work on their games.

I think 2025 will be a good year for Sony, I expect Death Stranding 2, Ghost of Tsushima 2 and maybe something more.

yurinka

So we got 6 weeks to hear some absolute banger news!?
Every year Sony has a September State of Play, normally just before starting Tokyo Game Show, so more focused to games more focused to an Asian/Japanese audience. This year TGS is September 28 and 29, so I assume Sony would have the State of Play around September 26th.

So I think this is what we can expect: mostly Asian games (as could be Lost Soul Aside and Convallaria new trailers and release date, maybe Astro Bot and Death Stranding 2 too, plus some 3rd party stuff as could be something from Capcom as could be MH Wilds or Pragmata, or something from Square as could be Kindom Hearts 4 or Dragon Quest XII. And then some Asian/Korean F2P stuff plus some niche too Japanese stuff like Gundam or similar. Add some extra western game they want to market there like Concord or Lego Horizon as bonus.

If this year they plan to release PS5 Pro in November it would make sense to announce it in that September State of Play.

Topher

Gold Member
Sony is NEVER gonna have a show this year, huh? It's so exhausting waiting on them to talk to be honest.

One of the fun things about gaming is the big announcements and reveals, particularly from first party studios. I love that stuff. It has never really bothered me if a game is announced years ahead of its release, but even if it did, I'd much rather it be like that than only have one exciting reveal from Sony's first party over a three year span. It just sucks. Nothing to look forward to.

nial

Agreed, let's judge the show after we've seen it. Could be a really good one.
Heck, IMO, some of the best first-party PS5 games were announced at State of Plays; Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade and Astro Bot (not released yet, but I know it will be).
People disappointed with Sony these days don't understand that their output has always been more than their big AAA studios, and even then, you can't really say with a straight face that they haven't delivered; what's Horizon Forbidden West, Gran Turismo 7, God of War Ragnarok and Spider-Man 2?

Last edited:

Woopah

Heck, IMO, some of the best first-party PS5 games were announced at State of Plays; Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade and Astro Bot (not released yet, but I know it will be).
People disappointed with Sony these days don't understand that their output has always been more than their big AAA studios, and even then, you can't really say with a straight face that they haven't delivered; what's Horizon Forbidden West, Gran Turismo 7, God of War Ragnarok and Spider-Man 2?
Exactly what I was thinking. They have released some great ganes and not all of them were announced at Showcases.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
One of the fun things about gaming is the big announcements and reveals, particularly from first party studios. I love that stuff. It has never really bothered me if a game is announced years ahead of its release, but even if it did, I'd much rather it be like that than only have one exciting reveal from Sony's first party over a three year span. It just sucks. Nothing to look forward to.

Yeah, I wanna go back to seeing Sony 1st party games 2 to 3 years in advance. At least those days it was exciting.

Top Bottom