• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider - “I'm confident that we will hear more from Sony this Q3, next year might be their most important, and one of the best years this Generation”

Fabieter

Fast forward 10 years when GaaS own an even larger percentage of the market and you've made no effort to break into the market.

It's so interesting to see people who are so short-sighted, but think that they're being wise at the same time.

With almost all new GaaS games failing in the long term, I highly doubt their approach. Considering how they're supporting games like *Concord* and mishandling the unexpected success of *Helldivers 2*, I'm convinced this will be a waste of resources and a loss of identity in the long run.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
I thought that the rest of the year will be focused on the PS5 pro announcement and launch no? Is PS5 pro not coming this year?

vivftp

I'm a marketing manager by profession, and this is exactly how marketing works. Sony does a great job at it.

People want Sony to blow their load, not realizing that if Sony did that, those same people would remain disappointed for the next 3-4 years.

Look at what's happening at Xbox. They still haven't released the games they showed back in 2020 when they blew their load. And they still keep showing and marketing the same games year after year after year.

Hellblade 2's appearance in every showcase has become a meme at this point.

Indeed. Between 2015 and 2016, Sony blew almost their entire load for the remainder of the gen, with the only notable exception being that they announced Ghost of Tsushima in 2017. As a result all we got for the latter half of the gen at each and every event was trailers for already announced games + third parties. Now it was a gamble in that the overwhelming quantity and quality of titles they announced would create a self-sustaining wave of hype, and it did - but it wasn't without its negative aspects. Plus as we've learned from devs, announcing games so far out can have negative impacts on the studios in terms of budget, resources, manpower, stress and PR.

That said, I think there's an unintended side effect from the pandemic here. Many games were pushed back 1-2 years due to the pandemic delays, meaning I think that some of the games that were meant for 2023/2024 are actually gonna show up in 2025+. Add that to the games that were originally meant to be 2025+ and it'll make for a denser release schedule, which is exactly what I think we're approaching.

The latter half of this gen is gonna be jam packed with releases and 2024 was just an appetizer. Excited to see how things shape up. And indeed Sony's doing a good job of marketing. The strategy I outlined of hopping from Showcase to Showcase and having a "marketing sphere" where almost everything releases between Showcases is the best way to do it. They can keep announcements fresh and don't let them get stale, and always have more fresh content to show at the next event. The bonus is that they seem to have so much in their pipeline that they can still hold a GOAT-level event without needing to blow their loads. That's what's so exciting about the situation for me :D

Killjoy-NL

There is no point in there gaas initiative when they are like a decade to late to shift from a working strategy. Gaas can make billions upon billions every year but they are also very expensive and have a high chance to fail.
Nothing is changing about their working strategy though.
Gaas is in addition to it, not a replacement for.

And as market-leader, Sony can afford to take a few risks.
That's a benefit of being market-leader.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Nothing is changing about their working strategy though.
Gaas is in addition to it, not a replacement for.

And as market-leader, Sony can afford to take a few risks.
That's a benefit of being market-leader.

You don't flood the market with this garbage without taking away the priorities. If iam wrong and they indeed make loads of gaas successes than they will invest less in traditional games. This was the case with any other publisher and there is no reason to think current sony will be Amy different. Either way sp fans and traditional gamers are loosing out with sony.

keefged4

I don’t think the generation has been shit, there are 4 games I want to play from this year alone. But since I play everything on PC now I’ll play Sony’s games in 2026 or later and the excitement is simply lacking.
I was talking in terms of console exclusives.

Fabieter

Too late. I'm sure I'm not alone in going PC only from now on because this generation has been so shit. Only reason I still have a PS5 is for GTA6 at this point. Maybe Astrobot too.

No there will be a shift. People won't complain anymore they just will drop the platform.

vivftp

You don't flood the market with this garbage without taking away the priorities. If iam wrong and they indeed make loads of gaas successes than they will invest less in traditional games. This was the case with any other publisher and there is no reason to think current sony will be Amy different. Either way sp fans and traditional gamers are loosing out with sony.

Hi, vivftp here.
You are wrong.

Good day 😄

Killjoy-NL

Their studios are still making games they would've made without the Gaas-strategy.

Fairgame$ is being developed by a new studio, Concord is being developed by a new studio, Marathon is being developed by a new studio (i.e. Bungie acquisition), Factions got cancelled but ND is still working on 2 new sp projects, so the studios they already had are still doing what they would be doing anyway.

Unless you want to start ranting about London Studios and Firesprite again, but we covered that already.

Fabieter

Their studios are still making games they would've made without the Gaas-strategy.

Fairgame$ is being developed by a new studio, Concord is being developed by a new studio, Marathon is being developed by a new studio (i.e. Bungie acquisition), Factions got cancelled but ND is still working on 2 new sp projects, so the studios they already had are still doing what they would be doing anyway.

Unless you want to start ranting about London Studios and Firesprite again, but we covered that already.

We don’t know much about the games they’re making, but we do know they plan to invest about the same amount in single-player games as before. However, this effectively means fewer games for single-player fans, since those games are more expensive than ever to produce. So yes, it looks like there will be fewer games for single-player fans unless they’re willing to dive into "amazing" titles like *Concord*. 🤣🤣

Sw0pDiller

How many of those gaas games actually released? The gaas push fucked the entire generation up.
I feel you are kinds obsessed with the word gaas just because Some warriors use this word so much. What push are you talking about? Just because Sony is hitting this gen out of the park warriors make their own ammo it seems.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
We don’t know much about the games they’re making, but we do know they plan to invest about the same amount in single-player games as before. However, this effectively means fewer games for single-player fans, since those games are more expensive than ever to produce. So yes, it looks like there will be fewer games for single-player fans unless they’re willing to dive into "amazing" titles like *Concord*. 🤣🤣
We wouldn't know about those games until they are close to release. Because that's how Sony is announcing most of their games now.

Look at Astrobot. It was announced 3 months ago and is releasing in the next 26 days. One could make the same argument that "what is Team Asobi doing, we don't know anything about their game" just last quarter.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
With almost all new GaaS games failing in the long term, I highly doubt their approach. Considering how they're supporting games like *Concord* and mishandling the unexpected success of *Helldivers 2*, I'm convinced this will be a waste of resources and a loss of identity in the long run.

How long have they been making GaaS games?

How did they mishandle the success of Helldivers 2? Does that mishandling apply to games in the future?

Please lets get to the details here.

Fabieter

How long have they been making GaaS games?

How did they mishandle the success of Helldivers 2? Does that mishandling apply to games in the future?

Please lets get to the details here.

When *Fortnite* started blowing up, they did everything they could to make it bigger and better. They crunched hard to keep up the momentum. I believe Arrowhead is too small to handle something on that scale, but Sony should have thrown everything they had at it. The lack of major updates in the last six months and the PSN requirement fiasco will likely prevent it from ever recovering.

They could still make future releases a success, but if those games are as poorly conceived as *Concord*, then there’s no hope at all.

There were so many GaaS games in development, and many have already been canceled. One of the worst acquisitions ever was focused on GaaS. Honestly, I don’t know. There should be heads rolling over the Bungie acquisition, but not at Bungie itself.

Fess

I was talking in terms of console exclusives.
You mean console-only exclusives?

That’s rare. I guess Astrobot could become a true exclusive, could see them skipping a PC port on that.

But still, this year alone has brought FF7 Rebirth, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, and soon comes Astrobot. That’s a lot of games for a year when 1st party studios are cooking for the future.

Perrott

I thought that the rest of the year will be focused on the PS5 pro announcement and launch no? Is PS5 pro not coming this year?
The console is coming this holiday, but the tentpole first-party games from established franchises aren't coming until after March of 2025, per Sony's financial reports.

When *Fortnite* started blowing up, they did everything they could to make it bigger and better. They crunched hard to keep up the momentum. I believe Arrowhead is too small to handle something on that scale, but Sony should have thrown everything they had at it. The lack of major updates in the last six months and the PSN requirement fiasco will likely prevent it from ever recovering.

That's some history revisionism. Epic wasn't blasting out content after fortnite took off. That's not how development works. PVP games as a rule of thumb, have stronger staying power over PVE games, and they don't require the same amount of content investment to keep them going

All Helldivers needs is a big content update, put it in a State of Play, and they'll 3 x their CCUs.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

What mishandling of HD2?

Helldivers went from ~7K CCU for HD1 to ~500K CCU for HD2 on Steam.

Sony and AH probably didn't even expect the game to be anyway near the success it had, so numbers dropping likely won't even be a big concern.

Besides, the Playstation brand alone is basically synonymous with console gaming. It's identity won't be lost.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™

They could still make future releases a success, but if those games are as poorly conceived as *Concord*, then there’s no hope at all.

There were so many GaaS games in development, and many have already been canceled. One of the worst acquisitions ever was focused on GaaS. Honestly, I don’t know. There should be heads rolling over the Bungie acquisition, but not at Bungie itself.

I can always tell when people don't know how companies work.

Sony should have thrown every they had at it?

At what? They don't own Arrowhead. The game is built around an engine that isn't even supported anymore. Bringing on new employees at this point takes months for real onboarding and would have slowed down early work. No one thought this game would be the hit that it was, to scale up this game is going to take years probably. The PSN requirement fiasco barely changed the user numbers and was very much Arrowhead's fault.

No one cares who develops these games. Concord has nothing to do with the success or failure of other games.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Fabieter

That's some history revisionism. Epic wasn't blasting out content after fortnite took off. That's not how development works. PVP games as a rule of thumb, have stronger staying power over PVE games, and they don't require the same amount of content investment to keep them going

All Helldivers needs is a big content update, put it in a State of Play, and they'll 3 x their CCUs.

Overtime at epic, i agree thats easier to have stronger staying power. But if fans have to wait more than six month for the first major update than they deserve to lose this 90% of the players.

Fabieter

I can always tell when people don't know how companies work.

Sony should have thrown every they had at it?

At what? They don't own Arrowhead. The game is built around an engine that isn't even supported anymore. Bringing on new employees at this point takes months for real onboarding and would have slowed down early work. No one thought this game would be the hit that it was, to scale up this game is going to take years probably. The PSN requirement fiasco barely changed the user numbers and was very much Arrowhead's fault.

No one cares who develops these games. Concord has nothing to do with the success or failure of other games.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

If Sony stays the course and doesn’t adapt when they take a hit, they’ll never get their own *Fortnite*, *Genshin Impact*, or *Honkai: Star Rail*. It just won’t happen.

*Concord* reflects their misguided vision of greenlighting these GaaS games, and it’s bound to flop even harder than the *Borderlands* movie coming out later this month. The fact that they’re even supporting this project the way they are is telling.

You can already see from the first trailer that *Fairgame$* is going to bomb as well.

Fabieter

I don't disagree that they crunched after launch, but the game never recieved any major update six months after its launch either.

Depends on what you see as a major update in a pvp game. The first season was three month in and they basically patched this thing weekly. It evolved pretty fast. On top of being f2p and not already having like 10 battlepasses 6 month in.

Most people moved on from helldivers 2.

Depends on what you see as a major update in a pvp game. The first season was three month in and they basically patched this thing weekly. It evolved pretty fast. On top of being f2p and not already having like 10 battlepasses 6 month in.

Most people moved on from helldivers 2.

They were mostly balance patches.

tmlDan

"flood the market" oh please, they made 2 games lol.

The hyperbole is insane

yurinka

We will see in five years. And like I said people like you will make excuses for their bad job they did. I think they are completely incompetent.
Nah, the ones making excuses now and who will make them are those like you who even seeing that year after year they keep breaking records and growing in basically all areas call them incompetent.

The fact that you think increasing the sub by like 35% is The fault of inflation shows that you excuse sonys missteps.
I didn't say that it was the only reason. And it isn't an excuse, it's just common sense that if with inflation (and other reasons) the cost of everything goes up they have to rise prices if want to keep similar profitability. It's a fact that almost everyone who didn't have insane profit margins before had to rise prices, not only in gaming.

If they would make mp free and do free cloud than 90% of the people who own a sub would just end it. It's basically robbery. And if they think this is a good way to growth than they deserve to get the boot.
Why don't you ask them to give away PS5 and their games for free, and claim that it's a robbery to sell them? It would be almost as nonsensical. Online MP and game streaming for dozens of millions of people isn't free at all, they must spend several millions per quarter on this just on server costs.

yurinka

The Final Shape, Helldivers 2, Gran Turismo 7 and MLB are GaaS, are they garbage to you?

Their 2024 GaaS 1st party releases: Helldivers 2, MLB, Destiny 2 The Final Shape, Concord
Their 2024 non-GaaS 1st party releases: TLOU2 Remaster, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, Astro Bot, Lego Horizon, Until Dawn remake, Lost Soul Aside, PC ports of HFW/GoT/GoWR (and PS Classic releases of games from old generations).

The majority of their releases is (and will continue being) non-GaaS games.

Regarding their investment, they highly increased their investment on GaaS but also continue increasing their investment in non-GaaS titles. Their investment on GaaS, like the one on PC, mobile or movies, is an extra on top of the investment they had in non-GaaS titles, not a replacement.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

Why would any large publisher invest into 30% of the market that isn't growing, and ignore 70% of the market that is still growing? PlayStation knows that the tradition SP market has plateued for years now. You don't grow that portion of your development output when the market is capped.

Wayne Gretzky: "Skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been."

Fabieter

Nah, the ones making excuses now and who will make them are those like you who even seeing that year after year they keep breaking records and growing in basically all areas call them incompetent.

I didn't say that it was the only reason. And it isn't an excuse, it's just common sense that if with inflation (and other reasons) the cost of everything goes up they have to rise prices if want to keep similar profitability. It's a fact that almost everyone who didn't have insane profit margins before had to rise prices, not only in gaming.

Why don't you ask them to give away PS5 and their games for free, and claim that it's a robbery to sell them? It would be almost as nonsensical. Online MP and game streaming for dozens of millions of people isn't free at all, they must spend several millions per quarter on this just on server costs.

They claimed they wanted to maintain high quality with rising prices, but things have gone downhill ever since.

They only cover their own online game server capacity. Are you serious? It's hard to believe, especially considering they managed it during the PS3 generation, and platforms like Steam still offer free cloud saves and multiplayer. It really makes you question the value of their service.

I glady pay for games and hardware but their service isn't worth it besides the forced mp and cloud saves thing.

The Final Shape, Helldivers 2, Gran Turismo 7 and MLB are GaaS, are they garbage to you?

Regarding their investment, they highly increased their investment on GaaS but also continue increasing their investment in non-GaaS titles. Their investment on GaaS, like the one on PC, mobile or movies, is an extra on top of the investment they had in non-GaaS titles, not a replacement.

We know that they plan to invest more in GaaS games than in traditional gaming. While we might not have exact numbers, we do know the percentages of how they plan to allocate their investments in the future.

That said, I believe 90% of GaaS games are cheaply made and not worth playing.
"flood the market" oh please, they made 2 games lol.

The hyperbole is insane

They planning to make a dozen by next year ;).

They were mostly balance patches.

There was new shit coming out like every two weeks.

Why would any large publisher invest into 30% of the market that isn't growing, and ignore 70% of the market that is still growing? PlayStation knows that the tradition SP market has plateued for years now. You don't grow that portion of your development output when the market is capped.

Wayne Gretzky: "Skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been."

Depending on your risk mangement if you like to invest in a market which has a low chance of success and high failure rate than yes this is the way to go. Sony will end up like Ubisoft with this.

Fabieter

Yeah, small minor stuff. Same as Helldivers. Fortnite's retention was thanks to its core gameplay, not because they added a new potion or silenced varient of a gun every now and then

Squads, loads of different weapons (most weapons patched in helldivers 2 are alts), season 1 with loads of new items and the 50vs50 mode was all in the first six month.

I played helldivers 2 for 30 hours and basically had my fill, there is nothing more to do than grinding the same shit with the same tactics over and over.

Squads, loads of different weapons (most weapons patched in helldivers 2 are alts), season 1 with loads of new items and the 50vs50 mode was all in the first six month.

I played helldivers 2 for 30 hours and basically had my fill, there is nothing more to do than grinding the same shit with the same tactics over and over.

Lol if that's what you consider as a major update.

Yeah, you got bored of the core gameplay. Minor updates like what you've just referenced with Fortnite do not fix that. That requires actual, new content. Stuff that takes more than a day to make unlike a 50 v 50 mode

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Yeah, you got bored of the core gameplay. Minor updates like what you've just referenced with Fortnite do not fix that. That requires actual, new content. Stuff that takes more than a day to make unlike a 50 v 50 mode
Let's not forget that Fortnite BR was created by just 5 members of the Fortnite StW team that made a BR mode for fun in their spare time.

Fabieter

ChatGPT

What were the updates on forrnite in the first six month

In the first six months of 2024, Fortnite received a variety of updates and changes, primarily through new seasons, collaborations, and gameplay enhancements. Here's a breakdown of key updates during this period:

1. Chapter 4, Season 4:

• Season Launch: Fortnite's Chapter 4, Season 4, titled "Last Resort," launched in late August 2023, and continued into early 2024. This season introduced a heist theme, with new locations, mythic weapons, and a vault system.
  • New Weapons & Items: The season brought back fan-favorite weapons like the Suppressed Sniper Rifle, and introduced new items such as the Rocket Ram and the Rocket Rifle.
  • Gameplay Changes: Various gameplay tweaks were made, including changes to map locations, new vehicles, and balance adjustments to weapons.
  • Collabs & Events: The season featured multiple collaborations, including with brands like Star Wars for special events, skins, and challenges.

2. Chapter 4, Season 5:

• Season Launch: In early December 2023, Chapter 4, Season 5 started, featuring the "High Stakes" theme. This season focused on high-risk, high-reward gameplay mechanics.
  • Map Changes: New points of interest (POIs) were introduced, along with dynamic map events that altered the terrain and opened new areas.
  • New Weapons: Season 5 added new weapons like the Stealth SMG and the Tactical Assault Rifle, offering more variety in combat strategies.
  • Seasonal Events: Christmas and New Year events brought limited-time modes (LTMs), festive skins, and rewards.
  • Collaborations: The season continued to leverage major collaborations, bringing characters and elements from franchises like The Matrix and The Witcher into the game.

3. Chapter 5, Season 1:

• Season Launch: In March 2024, Fortnite began Chapter 5 with a fresh start. This season was titled "New Beginnings," and it introduced a significant overhaul to the game.
  • New Map: A completely new map was introduced, featuring diverse biomes, cities, and hidden locations. The map design was heavily influenced by player feedback and aimed to provide more balanced gameplay.
  • Gameplay Overhaul: Major gameplay changes included a revamped building system, new movement mechanics, and the introduction of weather effects that affected gameplay, like storms and fog.
  • **New Battle Pass

Forrnite patches first six from release

Fortnite's first six patches after its initial release in July 2017 laid the foundation for the game's evolution, especially in its Battle Royale mode. Here’s a summary of the key updates:

Patch 1.6 (July 25, 2017)

• Initial Release: This patch marked the official release of Fortnite, initially focusing on the "Save the World" mode.
  • Battle Royale Mode: The first iteration of Battle Royale was introduced, where 100 players fought on a single map. This mode became the game's defining feature.
  • Basic Features: It included basic weapons, building mechanics, and a single map with limited points of interest (POIs).

Patch 1.6.3 (September 12, 2017)

• Battle Royale Enhancements: Introduced more features to Battle Royale, including squad play (up to 4 players) and new weapons like the Scoped Assault Rifle.
  • Performance Improvements: Made significant optimizations to server performance and matchmaking to handle the growing player base.
  • Bug Fixes: Addressed various bugs related to building and shooting mechanics.

Patch 1.7.1 (September 26, 2017)

• Leaderboards and Stats: Added leaderboards and stats tracking to the Battle Royale mode, allowing players to track their performance.
  • New POIs: Added new points of interest on the Battle Royale map, increasing the diversity of gameplay.
  • Voice Chat: Enabled voice chat for better team coordination in squads and duos.

Patch 1.8 (October 26, 2017)

• Fortnitemares Event: Introduced the first-ever Halloween-themed event, "Fortnitemares," with spooky decorations and limited-time items.
  • New Weapons: Introduced rocket launchers and the iconic Pumpkin Launcher.
  • UI Improvements: Made enhancements to the user interface, making it easier to navigate through menus and manage inventory.

Patch 1.9 (November 9, 2017)

• Launch Pads: Introduced Launch Pads, allowing players to quickly reposition themselves across the map.
  • Cozy Campfire: Added the Cozy Campfire, which provided a healing area for players and their teammates.
  • Gameplay Balance: Tweaked weapon stats for better balance, including nerfs to the pump shotgun.

Patch 1.10 (December 6, 2017)

• Smoke Grenades: Introduced smoke grenades, allowing for new tactical gameplay strategies.
  • New POIs: Expanded the Battle Royale map with more points of interest, including more diverse terrain and hidden areas.
  • Performance and Stability: Continued performance improvements, including reduced lag and better server stability during peak hours.

They also expanded their map significantly in the first few months, and it was all free! If providing great support for a GaaS PvE game is too ambitious for sony, then they shouldn't make one.

Last edited:

Sanepar

I'm a marketing manager by profession, and this is exactly how marketing works. Sony does a great job at it.

People want Sony to blow their load, not realizing that if Sony did that, those same people would remain disappointed for the next 3-4 years.

Look at what's happening at Xbox. They still haven't released the games they showed back in 2020 when they blew their load. And they still keep showing and marketing the same games year after year after year.

Hellblade 2's appearance in every showcase has become a meme at this point.
I agree but they can do an event with at least 4 new sp games. It doesn't need to be 10 new games. With 4 new games they would already put the world on fire.

Killjoy-NL

They also didn't ask 40 bucks for f2p games :).
That's the difference between a f2p game and a non-f2p game.🙂

Point was that obviously Fortnite received a lot of updates after they made it available, because they were basically building the game while it was live already.

ChatGPT

What were the updates on f forrnite ib the first six month

In the first six months of 2024, Fortnite received a variety of updates and changes, primarily through new seasons, collaborations, and gameplay enhancements. Here's a breakdown of key updates during this period:

1. Chapter 4, Season 4:

• Season Launch: Fortnite's Chapter 4, Season 4, titled "Last Resort," launched in late August 2023, and continued into early 2024. This season introduced a heist theme, with new locations, mythic weapons, and a vault system.
  • New Weapons & Items: The season brought back fan-favorite weapons like the Suppressed Sniper Rifle, and introduced new items such as the Rocket Ram and the Rocket Rifle.
  • Gameplay Changes: Various gameplay tweaks were made, including changes to map locations, new vehicles, and balance adjustments to weapons.
  • Collabs & Events: The season featured multiple collaborations, including with brands like Star Wars for special events, skins, and challenges.

2. Chapter 4, Season 5:

• Season Launch: In early December 2023, Chapter 4, Season 5 started, featuring the "High Stakes" theme. This season focused on high-risk, high-reward gameplay mechanics.
  • Map Changes: New points of interest (POIs) were introduced, along with dynamic map events that altered the terrain and opened new areas.
  • New Weapons: Season 5 added new weapons like the Stealth SMG and the Tactical Assault Rifle, offering more variety in combat strategies.
  • Seasonal Events: Christmas and New Year events brought limited-time modes (LTMs), festive skins, and rewards.
  • Collaborations: The season continued to leverage major collaborations, bringing characters and elements from franchises like The Matrix and The Witcher into the game.

3. Chapter 5, Season 1:

• Season Launch: In March 2024, Fortnite began Chapter 5 with a fresh start. This season was titled "New Beginnings," and it introduced a significant overhaul to the game.
  • New Map: A completely new map was introduced, featuring diverse biomes, cities, and hidden locations. The map design was heavily influenced by player feedback and aimed to provide more balanced gameplay.
  • Gameplay Overhaul: Major gameplay changes included a revamped building system, new movement mechanics, and the introduction of weather effects that affected gameplay, like storms and fog.
  • **New Battle Pass

Forrnite patches first six from release

Fortnite's first six patches after its initial release in July 2017 laid the foundation for the game's evolution, especially in its Battle Royale mode. Here’s a summary of the key updates:

Patch 1.6 (July 25, 2017)

• Initial Release: This patch marked the official release of Fortnite, initially focusing on the "Save the World" mode.
  • Battle Royale Mode: The first iteration of Battle Royale was introduced, where 100 players fought on a single map. This mode became the game's defining feature.
  • Basic Features: It included basic weapons, building mechanics, and a single map with limited points of interest (POIs).

Patch 1.6.3 (September 12, 2017)

• Battle Royale Enhancements: Introduced more features to Battle Royale, including squad play (up to 4 players) and new weapons like the Scoped Assault Rifle.
  • Performance Improvements: Made significant optimizations to server performance and matchmaking to handle the growing player base.
  • Bug Fixes: Addressed various bugs related to building and shooting mechanics.

Patch 1.7.1 (September 26, 2017)

• Leaderboards and Stats: Added leaderboards and stats tracking to the Battle Royale mode, allowing players to track their performance.
  • New POIs: Added new points of interest on the Battle Royale map, increasing the diversity of gameplay.
  • Voice Chat: Enabled voice chat for better team coordination in squads and duos.

Patch 1.8 (October 26, 2017)

• Fortnitemares Event: Introduced the first-ever Halloween-themed event, "Fortnitemares," with spooky decorations and limited-time items.
  • New Weapons: Introduced rocket launchers and the iconic Pumpkin Launcher.
  • UI Improvements: Made enhancements to the user interface, making it easier to navigate through menus and manage inventory.

Patch 1.9 (November 9, 2017)

• Launch Pads: Introduced Launch Pads, allowing players to quickly reposition themselves across the map.
  • Cozy Campfire: Added the Cozy Campfire, which provided a healing area for players and their teammates.
  • Gameplay Balance: Tweaked weapon stats for better balance, including nerfs to the pump shotgun.

Patch 1.10 (December 6, 2017)

• Smoke Grenades: Introduced smoke grenades, allowing for new tactical gameplay strategies.
  • New POIs: Expanded the Battle Royale map with more points of interest, including more diverse terrain and hidden areas.
  • Performance and Stability: Continued performance improvements, including reduced lag and better server stability during peak hours.

They also expanded their map significantly in the first few months, and it was all free! If providing great support for a GaaS PvE game is too ambitious for sony, then they shouldn't make one.

Omfg lmao. Quality check your lazy gpt search before you run with it.

Adding little landmarks to the map is not what I'd call significant.

Helldivers has had great support. Your expectations are just completely whack just so you can throw shade at Sony

Last edited:

yurinka

They only cover their own online game server capacity. Are you serious? It's hard to believe, especially considering they managed it during the PS3 generation, and platforms like Steam still offer free cloud saves and multiplayer. It really makes you question the value of their service.
Sony pays the server costs of the cloud gaming, online chats in parties, trophies, matchmaking, friends management, shareplay, online leaderboards, cloud savedata, remote play, PSN store, microtransactions/dlc, plus some of the player stats/metrics etc. for both 1st and 3rd party games both SP or MP, paid or free.

Other than that, some games use dedicated game servers for the in-game multiplayer gameplay itself plus (including SP games too) game specific metrics/player stats. Publishers can decide if they provide their own dedicated servers or if they use (paying a portion of their cost) PSN ones.

Part of that PS+ Essential tier also goes to pay the monthly games plus discounts. There's also some profit that (like the one from games and addons) that goes to compensate to sell hardware at a loss, something that happens in a big scale unlike in the case of Steam or Epic Store.

We know that they plan to invest more in GaaS games than in traditional gaming. While we might not have exact numbers, we do know the percentages of how they plan to allocate their investments in the future.
We have the numbers:

The graph of the left explains why GaaS are important for the future, because add-ons (DLC/IAP/passes) keep growing every year, already are a huge part of the game revenue and are projected to continue growing in the future.

The graph in the right shows that they weren't almost investing in GaaS and will invest a lot there, but also plan to invest more in non-GaaS than before (notice the dark blue part will be taller in FY25 than it was in FY19 and FY22, even if the percentage is smaller.

image.png

That said, I believe 90% of GaaS games are cheaply made and not worth playing.
To make GaaS like Destiny 2 or Gran Turismo 7 is more expensive than a non-GaaS AAA because to develop all that post launch content and pay the servers isn't free.

They already have in the market Destiny, Helldivers, MLB, GT, Firewall.

Have in the works Concord, Marathon, Fairgame$, Convallaria (not sure if GaaS), Bungie's incubated project moved to PS Studios.

Cancelled TLOU Online, London new IP, Deviation (maybe not completely but being rebooted in the ex-Deviations new SIE studio).

There are more that now I forget, in development or cancelled but may not be part of these 12 IPs with GaaS initiative.

In 2021 they originally said that had March 2026 as deadline for the 12 IPs with GaaS initiative, but later as they kept reviewing the projects mentioned that some of them may not be on time, so dropped the deadline in order to give them whatever time they needed because they wanted to prioritize quality over quantity.

Jim Ryan also mentioned that they didn't expect them to have a big success with all of them, and that they were going to have different scales (example: I assume they hadn't huge expectations for a VR only GaaS, or for the Helldivers sequel).

It's also fair to assume that after this big push pretty likely they'll tone down the releases of GaaS titles and will focus their GaaS investment during several years on post launch content of those who performed better.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Omfg lmao. Quality check your lazy gpt search before you run with it.

Adding little landmarks to the map is not what I'd call significant.

Helldivers has had great support. Your expectations are just completely whack just so you can throw shade at Sony

So you're praising the support for *Helldivers 2* while dismissing the updates for *Fortnite*? Well, to each their own. Buying *Helldivers 2* on day one and trying out the *Concord* beta just showed me that their games-as-a-service efforts aren't worth investing in.

Sony pays the server costs of the cloud gaming, online chats in parties, trophies, matchmaking, friends management, shareplay, online leaderboards, cloud savedata, remote play, PSN store, microtransactions/dlc, plus some of the player stats/metrics etc. for both 1st and 3rd party games both SP or MP, paid or free.

Other than that, some games use dedicated game servers for the in-game multiplayer gameplay itself plus (including SP games too) game specific metrics/player stats. Publishers can decide if they provide their own dedicated servers or if they use (paying a portion of their cost) PSN ones.

Part of that PS+ Essential tier also goes to pay the monthly games plus discounts. There's also some profit that (like the one from games and addons) that goes to compensate to sell hardware at a loss, something that happens in a big scale unlike in the case of Steam or Epic Store.

We have the numbers:

The graph of the left explains why GaaS are important for the future, because add-ons (DLC/IAP/passes) keep growing every year, already are a huge part of the game revenue and are projected to continue growing in the future.

The graph in the right shows that they weren't almost investing in GaaS and will invest a lot there, but also plan to invest more in non-GaaS than before (notice the dark blue part will be taller in FY25 than it was in FY19 and FY22, even if the percentage is smaller.

image.png

To make GaaS like Destiny 2 or Gran Turismo 7 is more expensive than a non-GaaS AAA because to develop all that post launch content and pay the servers isn't free.

They already have in the market Destiny, Helldivers, MLB, GT, Firewall.

Have in the works Concord, Marathon, Fairgame$, Convallaria (not sure if GaaS), Bungie's incubated project moved to PS Studios.

Cancelled TLOU Online, London new IP, Deviation (maybe not completely but being rebooted in the ex-Deviations new SIE studio).

There are more that now I forget, in development or cancelled but may not be part of these 12 IPs with GaaS initiative.

In 2021 they originally said that had March 2026 as deadline for the 12 IPs with GaaS initiative, but later as they kept reviewing the projects mentioned that some of them may not be on time, so dropped the deadline in order to give them whatever time they needed because they wanted to prioritize quality over quantity.

Jim Ryan also mentioned that they didn't expect them to have a big success with all of them, and that they were going to have different scales (example: I assume they hadn't huge expectations for a VR only GaaS, or for the Helldivers sequel).

It's also fair to assume that after this big push pretty likely they'll tone down the releases of GaaS titles and will focus their GaaS investment during several years on post launch content of those who performed better.

I specifically mentioned online multiplayer and cloud saves. They can charge for everything else and see how that goes. I'd love to see a source for all the things they supposedly cover because I've never read anything about that. Also, they claimed to have sold the PS5 at a loss and still do. Do you have a source for that as well.

So basically with the higher investment on tradional games the game output will stay about the same with raising budgets yiipie.

If they actually find success with their games-as-a-service push, I highly doubt they’ll change anything. They’ll just keep investing more and more into it. They also said at one point that there are more than those 12 games are coming that was just until 2026.

nial

I know Google can be tricky, so here's a link. Anyway, Sony set shareholder expectations of two major titles a year, inclusive of third party exclusives. This would be two major PlayStation 5 exclusive titles every twelve months. So, while they'll pinch out a bottom-tier title like Concord, or smaller budget games like Astro Bot, the big ticket games that push the platform will be one every six months on average. While they may exceed that, there's basically zero reason for them to actually try to do so. As a result, they can space their heavy hitters out - this should help set expectations for their showcases, and what a "good 2025" would look like.
I mean, 'two major titles a year' is very different to just 'two titles a year', which is what you originally said. And yes, anyone expecting it to be all big blockbusters will be disappointed, but there will be a variety of projects that could make it such a good year, from Housemarque's new IP to XDEV's collaborations.
No? It will only be two like this year; Fairgame$ and most likely Horizon Online, oh and the Neon Koi project that is meant for mobile.
Wait until next month, PS4 Pro was announced in September and released in November.

nial

Both Xbox and Playstation have become locked into "just wait til next year bro" death spirals.

What a great generation this is.
I agree that 2021 and 2023 were bad, but how does that apply to 2022 and 2024? Weird that people complain about no games from their internal studios this year (which isn't even true), yet go to praise Nintendo's lineup, when it's almost all games developed by external studios, except for another Mario Party and a remake of a 2004 GBA title.

Last edited:

Fabieter

I agree that 2021 and 2023 were bad, but how does that apply to 2022 and 2024? Weird that people complain about no games from their internal studios this year (which isn't even true), yet go to praise Nintendo's lineup, when it's almost all games developed by external studios, except for another Mario Party and a remake of a 2004 GBA title.

Nintendo didn't have the best year either, but they have new hardware on the horizon and are likely holding back for an incredible first year with it.

It's ironic that a remake of a 2004 game is being criticized when others are making remakes of games from 2017. I really hope the rumors about a Horizon Zero Dawn remake aren't true—that would be pure insanity.

Top Bottom