• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider - “I'm confident that we will hear more from Sony this Q3, next year might be their most important, and one of the best years this Generation”

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
must suck being a PS fan then, with such a limited palate

you would be better off waiting for other publishers/devs to pick up the slack because Sony's never gonna do so at this rate
Well like I say it depends what they find success in, but given how much I loved Sly 4 I wouldn't mind them hiring others to use their IP if they don't wanna busy any of their own devs

Fabieter

Sure, Jan. They will continue the path of improving in all fronts, and in the second part of the generation you'll continue saying it's because of the people that were there over a decade or two before them.

You will excuse it that market conditions have changed when they ultimately fall flat.

I always mentioned the producers, but yes, it's still about publishing. Square Enix is the main publisher of Live A Live, Sony is the only publisher of Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade. Again, try again.

No arguments detected.

I said game must be owned to be 1p or second party you said it doesn't. I don't know what to say except either you are wrong or everyone else.

EruditeHobo

must suck being a PS fan then, with such a limited palate

Yep... sounds like a them problem.

If you can't find a lot to like/play in GOW2, Horizon 2, Spider-Man 2, Stellar Blade, Ronin, BG3, Elden Ring & DLC, Armored Core 6, Cyberpunk & DLC, Death Stranding: DC, FF16, FF7rebirth, Helldivers 2, Tekken 8, Jedi Survivor, RE4 remake, TLOU p1, Diablo 4... seems like a self report.

That's a collection of the last 2 years on PS5. This weird console-war-fueled notion that we have to harp on an insanely specific, insanely obtuse strike zone like "western devs who are OWNED by Sony, who also outright own the IP" is ridiculous, it's just cherry-picked and for the vast majority of people completely meaningless.

I don't know why this is hard for anyone to understand, but this isn't how almost ANYONE actually thinks of gaming, or video games, or their consoles. This is why Sony is successful right now and doing well, because they have a product and an ecosystem that people want.

That said, I am interested to see what these western devs under Sony are going to announce. I just don't care that they aren't announcing things multiple years out...

Last edited:
Where are we going to push back the goals next year when those first party Sony games come out? What's going to be the new narrative on how they're fucked?

edit: It's hard not to look at this thread being full of people that are pissed Sony isn't focusing on Japanese games as much as they want or continuing on with past popular franchises that died out. Just let it go.

Last edited:

Fabieter

It's not in limbo it's owned by Sega.

And they licensed it to Nintendo. Rise of the ronin is owned by koei and they didn't licensed it to sony. Sony just published it. Stuff like bayonetta is the weird exception to the rule

I explained it to you several times, all you've done this whole time is moving the goalposts, or using very bad examples against my point.

Your point rewrites the understanding of the 1p term.
This is the reason I said we should be done with it. You are accusing me of the shit you done youself. Just stop it.

Yes sony is doing awesome for publishing all those 3p games.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
SlimySnake is hardly a PS fan at this point.
I don't think he was much of a video games fan to begin with... He likes VFX and graphics but doesn't want to learn blender or 3d animation so that brings him here where he can coom over the graphicks and the producshun valuezszz

Ps fans aren’t ps fans because of platformers and gaas games. We want single player narrative driven games with next Gen graphics.
I mean I do want those games but that's not the reason I'm a PS fan. There's a ton of Japanese games that simply refuse to come to Xbox and I hate PC gaming. So a combination of their exclusives and 3rd party support is what I'm looking for on PS.

Jason Blundell was the key figure. Its important to note that even London Studios made AAA games on the PS2. Dismissing them now would be like questioning why Sony Bend was given the chance to create something "meaningful" despite not having made a AAA game in years. That line of thinking is silly. We can't ignore the fact that they've canceled several games-as-a-service (GaaS) projects, and that shouldn't be excused.
Similarly, Firewalk Studio might not have a history of creating "meaningful" games, but "Concord" was likely an expensive project. I

Moreover, Sony's core audience is primarily interested in single-player games. While they do play third-party titles, the entire catalog, including first-party games, is crucial to them. Unfortunately, Sony hasn't been delivering in that area.

Alot of those pc gamers were console fans at one point tho.

lol Sony's core audience? You know we can all see the top played games on PS right? It's not SP games at the top of the charts.

It evidently will be...

GTAVI will sell PS5s like they'll soon go out of fashion. Xbox is ded, so GTAVI will behave like a defacto exclusive for Sony.

Then on top of that, they've almost assuredly got a fuck ton of first party shit that will launch next year.

And of course, Pragmata from Capcom, and Little Devil Inside. Can't forget those gems.

Last edited:

yurinka

You will excuse it that market conditions have changed when they ultimately fall flat.
They have been breaking records in most fronts even with console shortages, with components getting so expensive and inflation getting so rampant that they had to increase the console (+sub, +games) price instead of being able to applying price cuts. And while Nintendo was performing better than ever with Switch and MS acquiring people like Activision Blizzard and Behtesda (plus other key players like Tencent also making important acquisitions) and giving away their games almost for free day one on both console and PC.

They kept enlarging their market share and broke all time game launch records with titles released in 2020, 2022, 2024 and 2024.

They have been performing great even with awful market conditions. And will continue doing so. And you will try to find random excuses because you can't accept they are very successful because they are very talented and have been doing a great job.

Last edited:

Frwrd

What has the competition released?

Oh that’s what I thought…. adamsapple adamsapple
@Little Chicken
😂😂

Scared Side To Side GIF by Xbox

EruditeHobo

I said game must be owned to be 1p or second party you said it doesn't. I don't know what to say except either you are wrong or everyone else.

He's asking YOU for an example of what you're talking about... and you haven't provided a good one. You haven't properly responded to this post from him ---v

I always mentioned the producers, but yes, it's still about publishing. Square Enix is the main publisher of Live A Live, Sony is the only publisher of Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade. Again, try again.

So it's on you to try again.

In the face of great revenues, sales, success, and impending announcements re: future games, you're prognosticating them ultimately "falling flat". Based on... what?

This is the main problem. You haven't made an actual argument, and what you ARE saying doesn't seem based on all that much. From what I can tell, as someone not even having this argument with you.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It's OK to ask for more from your favourite platform holder, you don't always have to defend them.

This generation has been bobbins compared to sonys previous gens. Everything has been cross gen apart from a decent remake, 1 incredible returnal game and a shit ratchet game. Remakes galore, weak sequels.

When you're almost five years in and the only stand out games are 2 x indie dev games of helldivers 2 (driven by pc players and hype) and returnal there's no real defence, imo.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Reading this thread, amazing how folks can run with stupid narratives to push whatever agenda they're pushing.
Anyways, just had to get that out there.

8, with Destiny 2 The Final Shape included. There're also remasters of course, but 8 SIE published games is a solid figure, especially when we add on additional console exclusives like Silent Hill 2 Remake, FF7 Rebirth, ZZZ, Formstars, Granblue Fantasy Relink and more.

And allow me to explain how I think Sony are handling their marketing cycles from Showcase to Showcase. It's my guess and I think it makes sense. It also explains why I think we're about to have a banger of a Showcase in September:

I think it's all about Sony wanting to have a certain number of games out there in the "marketing sphere" for folks to focus on. From the last Showcase until now, they've had almost 2 dozen games/expansions actively being marketed and almost all of them will have released by the end of this year. The only announced games that will remain by the end of this year will be Marathon, Fairgame$, Wolverine and Physint. Now that the current "marketing sphere" is winding down, I think they'll kick off the next "marketing sphere". If this upcoming sphere is anything like the previous one, that means they'll probably aim to have about 20 or so console exclusives actively out there for folks to be focused on until the sphere after that where they'll repeat the process. Those could be first party studio games, expansions, XDEV games, or third party console exclusives. I think they're leaping from Showcase to Showcase where the intention is to have the majority of announced games released (or close to releasing) by the time the next Showcase drops.

That's my theory, at least. It makes a certain amount of sense. I mean, from the last Showcase until the end of this year if they have 20+ games being marketed, then how much more do they need to have officially announced before it becomes too much and there're diminishing returns on the hype? For example, here're the games that've been in the marketing sphere since the last Showcase in May 2023:

Spider-Man 2
Death Stranding 2
Marathon
Fairgame$
Concord
Destiny 2 The Final Shape
Final Fantasy 16 + DLCs
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
Silent Hill 2
Foamstars
Stellar Blade
Rise of the Ronin
MLB24
Helldivers 2
Astro Bot
LEGO Horizon Adventure
Firewall Ultra
The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered
God of War Ragnarok Valhalla
Until Dawn PS5/PC
Wolverine
Physint

That's a LOT of games with some major bangers in there. They chose to focus on cleaning this plate before bringing on the next course, is what I'm saying. If they brought on the next plate while still in the middle of this one, then the food on that plate would just go cold in the meantime. Now that the first plate is almost empty they can bring on the next plate much closer to the release of those games, so they manage to build and maintain the hype while it's hot and not give it a chance to cool down. Hopefully the analogy held up there, lol.
I'm a marketing manager by profession, and this is exactly how marketing works. Sony does a great job at it.

People want Sony to blow their load, not realizing that if Sony did that, those same people would remain disappointed for the next 3-4 years.

Look at what's happening at Xbox. They still haven't released the games they showed back in 2020 when they blew their load. And they still keep showing and marketing the same games year after year after year.

Hellblade 2's appearance in every showcase has become a meme at this point.

Fess

Not a "waste" or "retarded" at all.
From my perspective the whole thing seems short-sighted. Similar to Microsoft’s Playstation port strategy - They get fairly low sales numbers because it’s old games sold at full price with little excitement and they normalize ports so people realize that they no longer need their hardware.

But if the end game move is to form an ecosystem outside of their hardware accessed on every screen, then it all makes sense, then this is just baby steps in that direction:

> Late Steam ports
> account requirement - we are here!
> launcher
> day 1 launcher releases
> launcher exclusives
> launcher on every screen

Fabieter

They have been breaking records in most fronts even with console shortages, with components getting so expensive and inflation getting so rampant that they had to increase the console (+sub, +games) price instead of being able to applying price cuts. And while Nintendo was performing better than ever with Switch and MS acquiring people like Activision Blizzard and Behtesda (plus other key players like Tencent also making important acquisitions) and giving away their games almost for free day one on both console and PC.

They kept enlarging their market share and broke all time game launch records with titles released in 2020, 2022, 2024 and 2024.

They have been performing great even with awful market conditions. And will continue doing so. And you will try to find random excuses because you can't accept they are very successful because they are very talented and have been doing a great job.

We will see in five years. And like I said people like you will make excuses for their bad job they did. I think they are completely incompetent.

The fact that you think increasing the sub by like 35% is The fault of inflation shows that you excuse sonys missteps.

If they would make mp free and do free cloud than 90% of the people who own a sub would just end it. It's basically robbery. And if they think this is a good way to growth than they deserve to get the boot.

Fabieter

He's asking YOU for an example of what you're talking about... and you haven't provided a good one. You haven't properly responded to this post from him ---v

So it's on you to try again.

In the face of great revenues, sales, success, and impending announcements re: future games, you're prognosticating them ultimately "falling flat". Based on... what?

This is the main problem. You haven't made an actual argument, and what you ARE saying doesn't seem based on all that much. From what I can tell, as someone not even having this argument with you.

What actual argument? For the fact that that we didn't see this as 1p since the inception of video games? For the fact that he only gave some bad examples from licensend ips which ain't comparable.

Its not like this is some science where I can prove what's 1p and what's 3p its just how the term was defined and used for decades.

If you want to count them so sony don't have to feel as bad with thir lineup so be it but it's a fucking double standard

ZehDon

What are you even talking about? They're publishing seven games this year (without even counting MLB The Show 24).
I know Google can be tricky, so here's a link. Anyway, Sony set shareholder expectations of two major titles a year, inclusive of third party exclusives. This would be two major PlayStation 5 exclusive titles every twelve months. So, while they'll pinch out a bottom-tier title like Concord, or smaller budget games like Astro Bot, the big ticket games that push the platform will be one every six months on average. While they may exceed that, there's basically zero reason for them to actually try to do so. As a result, they can space their heavy hitters out - this should help set expectations for their showcases, and what a "good 2025" would look like.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

We will see in five years. And like I said people like you will make excuses for their bad job they did. I think they are completely incompetent.
Incompetent?

Playstation is carrying the console-market hard, generate as much as revenue as Xbox (incl ABK) + Nintendo combined and ran their main competitor straight into the ground.

If success is your definition of incompetence, I don't know what to say.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Incompetent?

Playstation is carrying the console-market hard, generate as much as revenue as Xbox (incl ABK) + Nintendo combined and ran their main competitor straight into the ground.

If success is your definition of incompetence, I don't know what to say.

A) Why is it always about revenue, never about profit?

B) It's nice to see impressive numbers for now, but we have to remember that this success was built on the foundation laid by previous executives. The current leadership doesn't inspire confidence in me or many others. QWe seem to be in a transitional phase, and while they keep saying that consoles will remain their focus, I seriously doubt it. If the new direction fails, those numbers you're proud of could be at significant risk.

Killjoy-NL

A) Why is it always about revenue, never about profit?
Because we have no clue on how Playstation operates exactly.
What we do know is that Sony came out recently, stating this is their most profitable generation ever.

B) It's nice to see impressive numbers for now, but we have to remember that this success was built on the foundation laid by previous executives. The current leadership doesn't inspire confidence in me or many others. QWe seem to be in a transitional phase, and while they keep saying that consoles will remain their focus, I seriously doubt it. If the new direction fails, those numbers you're proud of could be at significant risk.
The flaw in your logic is that for the entire time that Jim Ryan ran Playstation, people claimed he was clueless and was going to run Playstation into the ground.

They've been marketleader since they released the first playstation, pretty sure they know what they're doing.

Fabieter

Because we have no clue on how Playstation operates exactly.
What we do know is that Sony came out recently, stating this is their most profitable generation ever.

The flaw in your logic is that for the entire time that Jim Ryan ran Playstation, people claimed he was clueless and was going to run Playstation into the ground.

They've been marketleader since they released the first playstation, pretty sure they know what they're doing.

Must be the reason they said they need pc ports to raise profitability. Changes don't happen overnight. If they manage to grow further with their new direction by the end of the decade than I will gladly eat crow but I have no faith they will.

Sony has announced that the PS5 is now the developer's most profitable console generation throughout its 30-year gaming history.

Digital is on the raise to it makes sense that devs make more money with more people consuming digital in addition there is more mtx than ever. This is hardly an achivement.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Must be the reason they said they need pc ports to raise profitability. Changes don't happen overnight. If they manage to grow further with their new direction by the end of the decade than I will gladly eat crow but I have no faith they will.
The purpose of any business is to raise profitability. Get real.

Each gen, development cost and time increase and since the console-market hasnt been growing for years, they need to find ways to reach more people.
Sony has been pretty clear on this and we already discussed this.
Sony has announced that the PS5 is now the developer's most profitable console generation throughout its 30-year gaming history.

Digital is on the raise to it makes sense that devs make more money with more people consuming digital in addition there is more mtx than ever. This is hardly an achivement.
Doesn't matter.

It's the most profitable gen for them, they generate the most revenue by far, they have the biggest marketshare, their games break records, yet here you are saying how terrible they are doing.

You're almost completely out of touch with reality at this point.

Last edited:

Fabieter

The purpose of any business is to raise profitability. Get real.

Each gen, development cost and time increase and since the console-market hasnt been growing for years, they need to find ways to reach more people.
Sony has been pretty clear on this and we already discussed this.

Doesn't matter.

It's the most profitable gen for them, they generate the most revenue by far, they have the biggest marketshare, their games break records, yet here you are saying how terrible they are doing.

You're almost completely out of touch with reality at this point.

It says the most profitable console generation for devs that doesn't make it the most profitable console for them.

Three

This generation has been bobbins compared to sonys previous gens. Everything has been cross gen apart from a decent remake, 1 incredible returnal game and a shit ratchet game. Remakes galore, weak sequels.

When you're almost five years in and the only stand out games are 2 x indie dev games of helldivers 2 (driven by pc players and hype) and returnal there's no real defence, imo.
Your list of PS5 only games is incomplete though:

Spiderman 2
Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart
Returnal
TLOU1 p1
Rise of the Ronin
Demon's Souls
Stellar Blade

Now of course that's the silly qualifier "be first party" and "not be crossgen" list. As if that makes GoW Ragnarok, HFW, GT7, Helldivers 2, Sackboy, etc and the rest of the third party games this gen bad games. It's bizarre because nothing much is happening on the PC and xbox front either in terms of "first party, not crossgen" output either but we've got to complain about this specific company/platform that's putting out games when we talk about how much things apparently suck today.

Last edited:
With Astrobot, 2024 will be the best year. Death Stranding 2, as a japanese game, will do very well with a very good Pro version. The rest of their games will be lost into political agenda or/and GAAS oblivion and expected failure or half failure.

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
I think the vocal sentiment is, no its not enough.

Helldivers 2 blew up on steam. The other 2 came and went.

I can't believe ffvii rebirth had less hype and conversation than ffxvi. it's heartbreaking. It's even sold less. The playstation crowd just weren't that drawn to it.
Unfortunately, it's just not that enticing. Part 2 of a (quality) remake series for a 90s game that's been played, spun off, and cross-promoted to hell and back already.
FF16 was just... eh. It's what happens when you get a team that understands how to maintain a service in an MMO to create something of substance for modern SP standards.

It's not been a huge seller for an install base of 60 million. What did stellar blade sell?

I don't think the playstation fanbase are really picking these games up anymore and I don't know why.
Nobody was ever craving character action games like Stellar Blade like that.

Fabieter

I don't even get what your point is. People pay the money.

If anything, you actually made a case for Sony's Gaas-strategy.

There is no point in there gaas initiative when they are like a decade to late to shift from a working strategy. Gaas can make billions upon billions every year but they are also very expensive and have a high chance to fail.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
a decade to late to shift from a working strategy

That's like saying Sony shouldn't have gotten into the console business because Nintendo and Sega had already been at it for a decade.

Games wane in popularity all the time. Unless you want to continuously be left out of the revenue in the business, obviously you would get involved and of course it is risky, game development has always been risky.

Perrott

• Death Stranding 2: On The Beach (Kojima Productions)
  • FAIRGAME$ (Haven Studios)
  • New IP (FromSoftware) // OR // Ghost of Tsushima sequel (Sucker Punch) // OR // Intergalactic: The Heretic Prophet (Santa Monica Studio?)
  • Marathon (Bungie)
  • Marvel's Spider-Man: Venom (Insomniac Games)
  • Until Dawn sequel (Firesprite)
Yeah, I could see it being one of their strongest years ever in terms of first-party.

Metnut

Even when Sony’s first party output is slow, almost every 3rd party game worth playing that isn’t made by Nintendo comes out for PS5 too.

Fabieter

That's like saying Sony shouldn't have gotten into the console business because Nintendo and Sega had already been at it for a decade.

Games wane in popularity all the time. Unless you want to continuously be left out of the revenue in the business, obviously you would get involved and of course it is risky, game development has always been risky.

They took the shot because much of the groundwork had already been laid through their deal with Nintendo.

Yes, game development has always been expensive, but games-as-a-service (GaaS) is on another level. It’s not only costly but also demands a lot of time from players. For example, MiHoYo spends hundreds of millions every year just to keep their services running. If a GaaS title isn’t successful right from the start, it becomes insanely expensive to turn it around.

Plus, the market is already saturated with high-quality GaaS games, making it even tougher to break through.

It's easy to make some money from sp games compared to that!

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Plus, the market is already saturated with high-quality GaaS games, making it even tougher to break through.

It's easy to make some money from sp games compared to that!

Fast forward 10 years when GaaS own an even larger percentage of the market and you've made no effort to break into the market.

It's so interesting to see people who are so short-sighted, but think that they're being wise at the same time.

Top Bottom