• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Insider Gaming] Ubisoft Being Pressured To Go Private As Share Prices Continue To Fall

yazenov

Fuck no. They have 20k employees don't they?
21k.
Today, Ubisoft’s 45+ studios and more than 21,000 employees make up a diverse global team that helps us bring joy to all types of players from all over the globe.

Honestly its worth it for the Ips alone. Those other employees are expendable sadly for them. 1st thing id do is purge the DEI team, and then reduce the head count Elon style like he did with Twitter. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Catphish

Ray man relegated to the dlc of a sequel no body cared for.
Thats Good Robert Deniro GIF

Three

"AJ Investments holds less than a 1% share in Ubisoft" Lol, that's a lot of pressure.

But Ubisoft is in an awful place right now. Not sure what lies ahead for them.
Some activist investor trying to make them go private so somebody can acquire them without regulator scrutiny.

Last good Ubisoft games were The Rayman games, FC4 and both AC Origins and AC Odyssey. Retrospectively we can say that those were definitely great games. It has been only downhill after those.

Yea ACO was the last good game I played from them and even then they were pushing AC into weird territory. No idea why they decided the stealth assassin game needed to be a third rate action game.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Fuck no. They have 20k employees don't they?
21k.
Today, Ubisoft’s 45+ studios and more than 21,000 employees make up a diverse global team that helps us bring joy to all types of players from all over the globe.
Insane, given that it is for coordinate software development. As a current team leader in small-ish firm, 10 mofos is too much

Go_Ly_Dow

Have to admit I'm tempted to buy some of this dogshit company for trade. 10-20% and then I'd dump.

Got my eyes on the 10EURO mark.

Zacfoldor

They are capable of making great games, they have to diversify and scale down. Not everything has to be a sprawling open world with high fidely graphics therefore making it too risky to venture out of The Formula™. Sadly prince of Persia sales hasn't been there to be able to support my argument. A part of me wants it to get this year's GOTY just to make a point but as others excellent titles release this year it will only be more difficult...
It was a great game but not up there with Dread, Hollow Knight, or Aria of Sorrow for me. I think it could be in any goty conversation but I don't think it will win many.

However, yes, this is more the direction Ubisoft should be working towards. I'd give it a 9/10. Really loved it. Also, it kinda has mass appeal, just not marketed well, and I don't blame them. Who knew they had this gem cooking. I bet they didn't even know.

I honestly think it's time for Ubisoft to keel over and pass away now. Their entire organisation is riddled with SJW mongs from top to bottom. They simply do not have the corporate culture necessary to come back from this.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Can we openly admit the absolute best shot a girl would have at truly being a scoundrel would be to be a smoking hot, femme-fatale type girl? One that's cashed morals in for manipulation? Underworld scum wouldn't give a mid-girl the time of day.
Yeah but she can cold cock a stormtrooper unconscious with her bare fist, right through his helmet and everything. Her power to weight ratio must be the best in the galaxy.

Salz01

I can’t remember the last time I bought a Ubisoft game. Either Valhalla or FC6. That was years ago….

NickFire

Let's not blame that on culture wars. Ubisoft has just been sucking for years and it was long overdue.
Kinda hard to ignore that these rumors are being spread at this particular time. And at some point coincidences start to resemble trends I think. Maybe we’re still in the coincidence stage I guess.

I remember when Ubisoft were in danger of being acquired by Vivendi, I was actually rooting for Ubi back then. A lot of people were.

Nobody's rooting for Ubisoft this time.
They recovered for a while back then. Made some good stuff after, but they quickly got greedy again, i think shortly after odyssey something happened, because that game was peak modern ubisoft and it all went downhill from there.

MikeM

Gold Member
Sucks to suck. Can’t be bothered with achievements on Steam for games like FC6 and AC Valhalla. Forced launcher.

mister rogers middle finger GIF

A little humble pie will be a good thing for Ubi.

Kerotan

Let's not blame that on culture wars. Ubisoft has just been sucking for years and it was long overdue.
It doesn't help though. When you're games are getting a little mundane you don't want to suck the life out of it further with woke shit.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
Go private and let MS buy it.

Last edited:

lmimmfn

Good.

I used to argue for Ubisofts survival but the company has gone to absolute crap in the past 5-7 years.
I don't even buy(or think anything of) their new releases anymore and havnt done in years.

Jesb

There a shell of what they use to be. They killed off my favourite franchise in Splinter Cell. I’m just waiting for the remake to get canned or just sucking. All the stuff they do is all the same with a new coat of paint.

Shubh_C63

What an amazing video.
Ubi purposely keeping stocks down and holding other helpful collaborations while taking money from Tencent and buying their own company at much cheaper prices as per law.

Branded

All their games are exactly the same. Which I don't actually mind but that doesn't make me want to get every new release they put out.

I dabble with the occasional Assassins Creed, Ghost Recon or any of the other (Tom Clancy) IP they've got cookin' but always at an extreme discount and when the games have had more time in the oven (QoL updates, content, etc). I can't remember the last time I bought a Ubi game on release day.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Last game i bought was ac mirage, quited it 3 hours in.

Not really excited for shadows or the star wars game. They need some new direction.

ignorant question and just wanting to know more - if Ubisoft collapsed what happens to the IPs for all the games/brands? How could (coughsplintercellcough) prior beloved IPs be resurrected?

The last ubi game I bought was AC Odyssey. That was a steaming pile of crap. It is better if ubi's current management died and someone else starts managing the company, especially if they allow it to be as creative as ubi used to be before 2015.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
  1. Going private wouldn't mean the death of Ubisoft.
  2. The only part of going private that sounds bad is Tencent being "a significant partner and shareholder".
  3. The entity suggesting this holds less than a 1% share in Ubisoft. That is hardly "being pressured".
This is basically no news.

Last edited:
Top Bottom