• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Insider Gaming] Ubisoft Being Pressured To Go Private As Share Prices Continue To Fall

FeralEcho

PSA that the last, real Rayman game came out 11 years ago. And it was great too. :(

"There's no way this user forgot about Legends like that,that was an amazing Rayman game and it came out way less than even 10 years ago,checks out when Legends actually released..."
Scared Dog GIF

Holy Fuuu time has no mercy on us...

Cyberpunkd

1. Going private wouldn't mean the death of Ubisoft.
  2. The only part of going private that sounds bad is Tencent being "a significant partner and shareholder".
  3. The entity suggesting this holds less than a 1% share in Ubisoft. That is hardly "being pressured".
This is basically no news.
This, but that doesn’t mean one cannot make a nice clickbait!

Cyberpunkd

I think Ubisoft is a victim to its own success - it’s obvious they creat great niche games (PoP, Child of Light), but are terrified of iterating on the formula for their largest franchises. So when they got to make a SW game they made what they know best - busywork, AC game with ŚW skin.

They should make games we want to play then. It wasn't long ago they were releasing bangers. Far Cry primal, R6 Siege, Steep, Good ass creeds.

They gotta cut the shit.

Shubh_C63

1. Going private wouldn't mean the death of Ubisoft.
  2. The only part of going private that sounds bad is Tencent being "a significant partner and shareholder".
  3. The entity suggesting this holds less than a 1% share in Ubisoft. That is hardly "being pressured".
This is basically no news.
It's definitely no No news.
The allegations described by the party are pretty serious if true. It's actually as high a drama as you can get with this.

I hear you OP. They get a ton of hate here but I love their games. AC Valhalla is one of my fave games. AC Odyssey, AC Origins, Black Flag, AC 2…it’s all good shit. I really enjoy the Far Cry series too. I didn’t like Avatar, but oh well. Yet to play Star Wars Outlaws. I also like The Crew Motorfest.

I’d be super choked if Ubisoft were gone.

Last edited:

GinSama

Well they are doing this to themselves??

I mean people have been complaining about the Ubi formula for years....

Trilobit

For me as stock illiterate. What would the difference be in Ubisoft's output and company structure were they to go private?

StueyDuck

yes its all true i know they are more crud now but we barely got AAA stuff to play

We don't need to do anything.

And they won't die, they've been doing this dance for like 15 years now. Wasn't long ago the vivendi hostile takeover was a thing

The last decent game Ubisoft made was Immortals: Fenyx Rising. The characters, story, and ending were mediocre, but the game itself was a lot of fun to play and it was among the first games with noticeably upgraded visuals going from last gen to current gen. Fenyx Rising was leagues better than AC: Valhalla.

Roufianos

Nahh, I love seeing them crash and burn. The only thing they've made of value at AAA level in a decade is Odyssey. Let their IP and key talent, if they even have any, get absorbed by others.

Shubh_C63

Ubisoft released the best Prince of Persia game, and an amazing Metroidvania just earlier this year.

so I can't hate them

prince-persia-lost-crown-3054154.jpg

also among the best fighting systems ever made by a western dev team. better than any God of War, better than DmC.
It's almost wasted on this type of game tbh. that's how good it is.

Back on the day, They did used to bring hot flashes of creativity now and then.

Like For Honor, Black Flag Ship combat, Ice Skating game, Division, Indie Child of Light which was all the rage for a month.

Their philosophy of make new IP and then milk the shit out of them was good, instead they forgot the first part needs to be done every decade.

Shubh_C63

Also what exactly Ubisoft have released in the past 3 years.

Like 3 games ?
Except AC, Farcry and Farcry in Space can't even remember.

Also xdefiant, immortal fenyx rising lol

reading this thread one would assume that you`re all forced to buy and play Ubi-games at gunpoint.....

Don`t buy stuff you don`t like and....that`s about it? The market will do the rest.

Last edited:
Yep, I really liked Odyssey. But Valhalla was so fucking bad...

The majority of people liked Odyssey, even steam users who have a hate boner for ubisoft and uplay, its at very positive. Its one of their best games. I tried 2 times Valhalla and never made it past half. Its too bloated.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Less publishers = not good.

We need more games with the quality of Ubiart.

Thats simple.

Is there Star Wars game any good? If yes i say let them live.

I buy at least one Ubisoft game a year. I guess I am doing my part.

I love Assassin's Creed.

i'm with the op. i like many of the ubi games everyone else despises (including star wars outlaws). not sure what's wrong with me, but I don't seem to be getting better, unfortunately...

UBISOFT SURVIVEL TEEM WE WILL FIGHT

Screenshot-2024-09-15-230440.png

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I don’t mind Ubi’s games at all. Going private and focusing on their customers instead of pleasing shareholders would be great.

Elios83

What are consumers supposed to do if the only thing they can do is making cookie cutter mid games with no innovation or spark chasing fake DEI stuff on the outside while the environment was toxic inside?
They fucked up and the top management still hasn't given signs they have changed direction.

They're actively trying to kill themselves:

a) they get the license for a star wars open world, multiplanet game aaaaaaand they fumble it
b) they finally decide to do assassin creeds japan aaaaaaaaand they decide to create a shitstorm

Just let them.

This is spot on - they are utterly poisoned - clearly at quite a senior level. Their priorities are all wrong.

If they do go, then it would likely help gaming - people have to sink 100 hours into the Ass Creed games now - that’s gamers buying 3 games rather than one in future.

They have a treasure trove of IP that they're sitting, that aren't named Assassin's Creed or Just Dance.

Invest in QA a little bit more, especially from the design side, to avoid launch issues and little bit more depth in gameplay than just barebones boring open worlds.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

As someone who just played Space Marine 2, which is the outcome of the death of THQ and someone else getting thr franchise, it's worth a shot.

Last edited:
The last Ubi game I played was The Division (which was… ok), so I’ve managed 8 years without buying UbiSoftware.

I think I’ll be okay.

Preseznik

I want them to survive, I need a proper GR: Wildlands sequel some day. Or a remaster.

Oh and their recent promise of offline patches for their The Crew games kind of got them points with me.
I love The Crew 2/Motorfest.
And my GF is *really* into AC.

Yeah I want them to continue making games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom