• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inspired by NPD: How well can GTA: SA sell? 7 million, 8 million, or more (or less)

Because it deserves a topic all it's own

How well do you guys think GTA: SA can sell? As in the upper limit, assuming it's not crappy, gets great reviews, great media exposure, etc.

GTA: VC has sold ~6.7 million (with the double pack) already.

The userbase when GTA: VC was launched was ~13 million US.
The userbase when GTA: SA launches should be twice that at ~26 million.

I'm expecting it to sell slightly better that GTA: SA, which would be a tremendous accomplishment all its own, but boy, this thing could seriously BLOW UP.

jarrod

Banned
I'm not sure usebase relates directly to game sales... though GTA's a casual enough series where it might work. It'll be the best selling game this year though, that's for sure (with Pokemon FR/LG, Madden PS2 and Halo 2 all falling in line behind it).

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
a billionz jillionz

Come on, we all know how this going to end up. Halo 2 fans will be in here downplaying it, somebody will bring up their erronous estimates on Vice City, it'll go back and forth for a page and a half, and I'll end up locking the thread and probably banning somebody.

Let's talk about something else, like whether or not CJ will be able to eat pancakes in San Andreas. Because if you can, my CJ will make Fat Albert look like Kate Moss.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Less PS2s than Halo 2 will sell Xboxes. That covered, GTA: SA will still outsell every other game.

evil ways

My whiteness prevents me from making any sort of estimates about GTA San Andreas's sales.

Let's talk about something else, like whether or not CJ will be able to eat pancakes in San Andreas. Because if you can, my CJ will make Fat Albert look like Kate Moss.

Waffles my good man, buttermilk, covered in melted butter with just the right amount of maple syrup. And 2 sausages, please.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'd say less than Vice City, maybe about the same as GTA3... Because, it seems like people will either wait for the Xbox version (as there are many more Xboxes in homes now than there were when VC comes out), and a lot of people are probably burnt out on the series (such as myself). It's gonna definitely be the biggest selling game of this holiday season... I'm curious to see what other games will do well, or if there are gonna be any big name failures. I have a feeling MGS3 won't be doing as well as expected. And I'm curious to see Halo vs Halo 2 in sales, or GT4 vs Halo 2.

sonycowboy said:
GTA: VC has sold ~6.7 million (with the double pack) already.

According to a press release from Rockstar in March 04:

''Over 30 million units of the Grand Theft Auto franchise have been shipped to date, including over 11.5 million units of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and over 10.5 million units of Grand Theft Auto 3.''

http://ir.take2games.com/ReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=130847

Just curious: Are you sure that only 6.7M units of GTA:VC have been sold through?

Thanks for your clarification.

Vargas

UbiSoftologist said:

''Over 30 million units of the Grand Theft Auto franchise have been shipped to date, including over 11.5 million units of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and over 10.5 million units of Grand Theft Auto 3.''

Just curious: Are you sure that only 6.7M units of GTA:VC have been sold through?

Shipped means sold to publishers. We do know for a fact that more than 6 million copies of Vice City have been sold on the PS2 in the USA.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
bishoptl said:
a billionz jillionz

Come on, we all know how this going to end up. Halo 2 fans will be in here downplaying it, somebody will bring up their erronous estimates on Vice City, it'll go back and forth for a page and a half
it's like I'm freakin psychic

Vargas said:
We do know for a fact that more than 6 million copies of Vice City have been sold on the PS2 in the USA.

I just found NPD's sell-through numbers for GTA:

PS2 GTA3: 5,413,245
PS2 GTA:VC: 6,088,771
PS2 GTADP: 594,420

Update:

NPD understates actual sales by 20 to 30% on average because Wal Mart doesn't supply sales information to NPD. Therefore, the actual unit sales of GTA:VC (including GTADP) could range from 8,353,989 (6,683,191 / 0.8) to 9,547,416 (6,683,191 / 0.7). So, I expect GTA:SA to sell through 10-11M units in its lifetime.

Alcibiades

UbiSoftologist said:
I just found NPD's sell-through numbers for GTA:

PS2 GTA3: 5,413,245
PS2 GTA:VC: 6,088,771
PS2 GTADP: 594,420

Update:

NPD understates actual sales by 20 to 30% on average because Wal Mart doesn't supply sales information to NPD. Therefore, the actual unit sales of GTA:VC (including GTADP) could range from 8,353,989 (6,683,191 / 0.8) to 9,547,416 (6,683,191 / 0.7). So, I expect GTA:SA to sell through 10-11M units in its lifetime.

NPD reports a 100% ESTIMATE (after collecting about 60% of actual sales), so while the numbers could definitely be off, it's no guarantee that they are underreporting, and in fact, could possibly be overreporting just as likely as they are to underreport...

also, key retailers like Toys 'R Us and Wal-Mart (where kid-friendly stuff sells very well) aren't included in NPD tracking...

snapty00

Banned
I don't think it'll reach Vice City. It might, but I just don't think it will.

I wonder what consumers think of the next Grand Theft Auto, anyway. Obviously, hardcore gamers want it, but I wonder if the hype from other consumers is more or less than previous Grand Theft Auto games.

UbiSoftologist said:

The 11.5 million is worldwide.

6.7 million Sold in US for the PS2
It's sold almost as well in Europe
I'm not counting the 1 million Xbox sales or the PC sales.

Top Bottom