• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel’s crashing 13th and 14th Gen CPUs get two additional years of warranty coverage

GHG

Gold Member

Intel’s crashing 13th and 14th Gen CPUs get two additional years of warranty coverage

A forthcoming patch won’t fix any damage already caused by the instability issues, but Intel is extending the warranty for the chips by two years.

“Intel is committed to making sure all customers who have or are currently experiencing instability symptoms on their 13th and / or 14th Gen desktop processors are supported in the exchange process,” reads a statement from Intel’s Thomas Hannaford to The Verge. “We stand behind our products, and in the coming days we will be sharing more details on two-year extended warranty support for our boxed Intel Core 13th and 14th Gen desktop processors.”

Intel’s boxed CPUs already have a three-year limited warranty, so this change should mean that most affected CPUs will now have a 5-year warranty. Last week, the company wouldn’t comment to The Verge about whether it would extend the warranty on the chips.

Intel has said that a primary cause of the instability issues for the desktop CPUs was due to an “elevated operating voltage” and that it was working on a patch for mid-August that addresses the root cause of that. But the patch apparently won’t fix any damage that’s already happened, meaning the best way to fix a damaged chip is to replace it.

Full statement from intel:

Intel is committed to making sure all customers who have or are currently experiencing instability symptoms on their 13th and/or 14th Gen desktop processors are supported in the exchange process. We stand behind our products, and in the coming days we will be sharing more details on two-year extended warranty support for our boxed Intel Core 13th and 14th Gen desktop processors.

In the meantime, if you are currently or previously experienced instability symptoms on your Intel Core 13th/14th Gen desktop system:

For users who purchased systems from OEM/System Integrators – please reach out to your system manufacturer’s support team for further assistance.

For users who purchased a boxed CPU – please reach out to Intel Customer Support for further assistance.

Intel is also investigating options to easily identify affected processors on end user systems and will provide additional guidance as soon as possible.

At the same time, we apologize for the delay in communications as this has been a challenging issue to unravel and definitively root cause.

Dumpster Fire GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:
LOL they are doing everything possible to avoid a recall. This still puts the onus on getting a bad CPU replaced on user and it still requires people to navigate the RMA process. But I guess considering how they are just hemorrhaging money right now they are kind of desperate

Watching Intel decline the past decade is a lot like watching Boeing decline. It was completely avoidable and self inflicted but there's nobody who ever told them to stop slowly killing themselves

winjer

Gold Member
You guys happy now? More than 15k workers are gonna get axed just to find the cash for your extended warranty.

That is such a moronic take on the situation.
Do you really think that these workers were fired because of this extended warranty. And not because of shareholders demands.
Neither consumers, nor the workers should have to pay for the many mistakes of the management of Intel.

Skifi28

You guys happy now? More than 15k workers are gonna get axed just to find the cash for your extended warranty.
Who cares if I buy expensive and defective products that crap out on me out of warranty? As long as Marvin and Bob have a job I'm good.

Last edited:

lmimmfn

That would be really annoying if you had the issue, taking off cooler, cleaning the cpu, send off to Intel, wait for confirmation and to receive a new cpu, install it + cooler.

That's a few weeks downtime at least.

Hope this covers my prebuilt Lenovo gaming machine. I have no idea what the original warranty was. Never thought a CPU would need it when I bought.

Kenpachii

That would be really annoying if you had the issue, taking off cooler, cleaning the cpu, send off to Intel, wait for confirmation and to receive a new cpu, install it + cooler.

That's a few weeks downtime at least.

That's why 99% wont RMA there chips but just side grade.

winjer

Gold Member
I doubt we will see a flood of Intel CPUs in the used market.
But buying a used Intel CPU will now carry a significant risk.

Kenpachii

Is that going to be an option? Doubt they are offering refunds or are we going to see a flood of Intel CPUs on the used market?
What i mean is most people won't RMA but just get another cpu and motherboard and call it a day because time waiting for RMA bullshit isn't something most people want to wait for.

DaGwaphics

Good on them for increasing this, at least it gives some security to those that recently bought in. They need to work with Windows and other OSs to get some kind of warning about voltage etc. pushed to all the systems that are running the problematic chips. Still seems like there would be a high percentage of users that could be running these with the wrong settings, even the oem systems could be effected since the base power limits were so high at launch.

winjer

Gold Member
Another thing to consider is that there are Tray CPUs, that only were only given a one year warranty, that is now gone.
And even this new 2 extra years, are only guarantied for Box CPUs.
Intel seems a bit vague about the warranty for Tray CPUs, which ones apply and which don't.

PaintTinJr

Another thing to consider is that there are Tray CPUs, that only were only given a one year warranty, that is now gone.
And even this new 2 extra years, are only guarantied for Box CPUs.
Intel seems a bit vague about the warranty for Tray CPUs, which ones apply and which don't.
For UK customers that won't make any difference as a small claims court application or consumer credit act - if bought on Credit card - would cover a refund or replacement cost for such an item beyond 5years, anyway, especially as there's no dispute that the CPUs are defective at a design level and therefore not fit for purpose under UK sales act.

winjer

Gold Member
For UK customers that won't make any difference as a small claims court application or consumer credit act - if bought on Credit card - would cover a refund or replacement cost for such an item beyond 5years, anyway, especially as there's no dispute that the CPUs are defective at a design level and therefore not fit for purpose under UK sales act.

Yes, and the EU also forces a minimum 3 year warranty.
But for other regions in the world, that have more lax regulations, consumers are at a significant disadvantage.

Top Bottom