• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There is no fix for Intel’s crashing 13th and 14th Gen CPUs — any damage is permanent

I don't know. Windows can get corrupted by a myriad of reasons. In my experience, the most frequent reason for windows corruption is memory errors.
After you did the restore, did you get anymore BSODs, errors or crashes?
Also, did you update your UEFI?
it's damaged RAM 9/10 times from my experience... of course components fail, so worth checking 1 by 1 on a second machine just to be 100%

GymWolf

Gold Member
I don't know. Windows can get corrupted by a myriad of reasons. In my experience, the most frequent reason for windows corruption is memory errors.
After you did the restore, did you get anymore BSODs, errors or crashes?
Also, did you update your UEFI?
The restore didn't succeeded with any method so i ended up doing nothing.

I'm probably gonna bring the pc to the asus center that assembled the pc in the first place and let them deal with it, i just don't have the patience or knowledge to fix stuff on my own.

But tbh, except for some rare crash (than can be caused by the games itself not being optimized) the pc work perfectly.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Regardless of CPU, here is a tip for Windows maintenance.
These commands will verify your Windows image and installation files. And if any errors are found, it will try to fix them.

Run these commands in PowerShell, with Admin rights.

dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Finally, run CMD, also with admin rights and then

sfc / scannow

winjer

Gold Member
The restore didn't succeeded with any method so i ended up doing nothing.

I'm probably gonna bring the pc to the asus center that assembled the pc in the first place and let them deal with it, i just don't have the patience or knowledge to fix stuff on my own.

But tbh, except for some rare crash (than can be caused by the games itself not being optimized) the pc work perfectly.

Try this:

Open Windows Settings, then System tab, then Recovery.
There is an option called use "Fix Windows using Windows Update", click on Reinstall now.
This will use Windows update to download Windows and reinstall everything again. It will keep your programs and documents.
It's the closest to a format and Windows reinstall, but without formatting and losing data.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Try this:

Open Windows Settings, then System tab, then Recovery.
There is an option called use "Fix Windows using Windows Update", click on Reinstall now.
This will use Windows update to download Windows and reinstall everything again. It will keep your programs and documents.
It's the closest to a format and Windows reinstall, but without formatting and losing data.
I think you already told me about that one.

I fear to cause more damage dude, i just started my vacations from work so i don't wanna risk to fuck up the pc even more and remain without pc during the vacations.

If the bsod situation get worse i'm just gonna pay the experts to solve the problem.

Thanks anyway.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I think you already told me about that one.

I fear to cause more damage dude, i just started my vacations from work so i don't wanna risk to fuck up the pc even more and remain without pc during the vacations.

If the bsod situation get worse i'm just gonna pay the experts to solve the problem.

Thanks anyway.

No. I didn't tell you about this one.
I only found out about this method a month ago.

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
@Leonidas pleaase explain.
User error
15vt8O1.jpeg

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Who honestly will keep buying Intel CPUs after this? I know I won't. And what'll happen to all those mobos and CPUs which are still being sold? They're basically useless at this point and turned into bricks.

ZUAirBh.gif

Still planning on getting a u5-245K or i5-136K come September.
AlderLake and MeteorLake didnt/dont suffer this issue, so no reason to assume ArrowLake will have the problem.
Fingers crossed.

Assuming the "fix" is out, unopened CPUs should have no damage to them.
So a new i5-136K should in theory not get the issue.

If all is lost and im going to need a full rebuild anyway (coming from a 12400) then Ill see where the u5 vs r7 stack up price/performance wise.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
ZUAirBh.gif

Still planning on getting a u5-245K or i5-136K come September.
AlderLake and MeteorLake didnt/dont suffer this issue, so no reason to assume ArrowLake will have the problem.
Fingers crossed.

Assuming the "fix" is out, unopened CPUs should have no damage to them.
So a new i5-136K should in theory not get the issue.

If all is lost and im going to need a full rebuild anyway (coming from a 12400) then Ill see where the u5 vs r7 stack up price/performance wise.
why would you do that when AMD is better?

GymWolf

Gold Member
No. I didn't tell you about this one.
I only found out about this method a month ago.
Interesting, i just remember when the pc got stuck in that infinite loading trying to fix itself and i don't wanna go through that another time, you never know with windows...

I really fear to fuck shit up :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Black_Stride

why would you do that when AMD is better?

Assuming price parity.
The u5 has more threads and will suit me better whenever im doing CPU rendering.....while rare there are instances where I need the extra threads but im not willing to commit to a ~400 dollar CPU.

And as long as Intel havent gone backwards the r5s have never been close to the i5s in Rendering workloads, so id assume the u5 would continue the trend and rival if not outright beat r7s.

Gaming im not too too worried cuz im already GPU bound and im skipping the RTX50s.
My 12400 was never supposed to last this long.

corona.png

winjer

Gold Member
Assuming price parity.
The u5 has more threads and will suit me better whenever im doing CPU rendering.....while rare there are instances where I need the extra threads but im not willing to commit to a ~400 dollar CPU.

You forget that Arrow Lake does not support Hyper Threading.

Black_Stride

You forget that Arrow Lake does not support Hyper Threading.

Still 14 "true" threads vs 12 threads in the u5 vs r5
We can assume Intel havent gone backwards so the P-cores alone should be faster than the cores in the r5.
Add in the e-cores and it should be an easy win for the u5.

winjer

Gold Member
Still 14 "true" threads vs 12 threads in the u5 vs r5
We can assume Intel havent gone backwards so the P-cores alone should be faster than the cores in the r5.
Add in the e-cores and it should be an easy win for the u5.

This is using Geekbench, a synthetic benchmark.
The 14700K and the 265K have the same P and E core count. The 14700K runs at 5.6Ghz. The 265K at 5.5Ghz.
The 265K does have 6% better single score for the P-core. But the multi score drops off a lot.
But you are right, compared to a Zen with 6C12T, it is still better. Even better than a Zen4 8C16T.

6hqVobM.png

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

Unfortunate Intel didn't have a fix for this situation. I'm still excited to see the benches for Arrow Lake though. Want to see what CAMM2 looks like and how Intel handles no hyperthreading. Far as AMD goes, I'm excited for X3D. Standard version is just that...standard.

Black_Stride

This is using Geekbench, a synthetic benchmark.
The 14700K and the 265K have the same P and E core count. The 14700K runs at 5.6Ghz. The 265K at 5.5Ghz.
The 265K does have 6% better single score for the P-core. But the multi score drops off a lot.
But you are right, compared to a Zen with 6C12T, it is still better. Even better than a Zen4 8C16T.

6hqVobM.png

Gen on gen regression in MT?
Only 5% in ST.

Gonna need them reviews sooner rather than later.

winjer

Gold Member
Gen on gen regression in MT?
Only 5% in ST.

Gonna need them reviews sooner rather than later.

Remember that SMT is an opportunistic feature, that tries to deliver work to unused units in the CPU pipeline.
Some programs can fill the CPU pipeline very well, meaning that SMT is useless in those cases. Other programs, leave several open stages, so SMT can work very well in this case.
But then there are some situations, when there can be contention for resources between a may thread and an SMT thread, resulting in a regression in performance.
Tough, I remember that when Intel introduced SMT with the Pentium 4, there was a flag that programmers could use to disable SMT. Not sure if this still exists, as a way to bypass SMT performance regression.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Microsoft offering a three year warranty on a product that is defective by design and is guaranteed to fail isn't "very good", especially when the refurbished devices didn't fix the root cause.

Sony handled it just as poorly with the fat Playstation 2 V1-V8 lasers being a ticking time bomb and not acknowledging it with a proper extended warranty.
Sony pretty much had to be sued to even acknowledge their PS2 laser issue, then they settled the lawsuit without admitting guilt. Microsoft fessed up when they discovered the flaw and owned their issue. Their reactions certainly weren't the same.

Intel needs to own this problem. If someone's processor degrades because of this they need to try to make things right. If they don't then they're going to be paying after the inevitable lawsuit.

Celcius

°Temp. member

Oof.

“Will Intel issue a recall?”

“No.”

“Will Intel halt sales while it validates the update?”

“No.”

Last edited:

Brucey

Remember the Xbox RROD? Intel needs to do what MS did.
They are still in the denial stage when it comes to warranty apparently. Microsoft denied the issue for a long time as well, except Microsoft knew they had problems out of the gate at launch but didn't want to delay their "head start" for that gen.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Assuming price parity.

And as long as Intel havent gone backwards the r5s have never been close to the i5s in Rendering workloads, so id assume the u5 would continue the trend and rival if not outright beat r7s.

Gaming im not too too worried cuz im already GPU bound and im skipping the RTX50s.
My 12400 was never supposed to last this long.

corona.png
just spend 400 on a better Ryzen, the power consumption makes you lose all the value
and the fixes will downgrade the cpu anyway

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Wow this is not good for intel.
Correct and I feel legit bad for anyone who has any 13/14th series CPUs. It feels like a ticking timebomb for them.

Even the 600 and 700 could have issues.

it's still strange to me how the 12 series isn't affected.

Black_Stride

just spend 400 on a better Ryzen, the power consumption makes you lose all the value
and the fixes will downgrade the cpu anyway

Yeah the 7900/9900 non-X is looking attractive and hopefully the 9900 non-X will be out sooner rather than later maybe I jump on that.

Decisions decisions.
Couldnt life just be easy.
ArrowLakes non-K u5s are using C0 stepping so have no idea if they would even be better than a 13500 which would slot into my motherboard easy work.
The 245K might not be worth it for MT.

Im gonna have to pull the trigger and never look at CPU benchmarks till my next rebuild.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sony pretty much had to be sued to even acknowledge their PS2 laser issue, then they settled the lawsuit without admitting guilt. Microsoft fessed up when they discovered the flaw and owned their issue. Their reactions certainly weren't the same.
MS fully knew they were selling more likely than normal faulty units and they took a chance on their beta testers users because they wanted to beat PS3 out of the gate after kind of stealing the CPU design from the team working on CELL ;). I do not think the PS2 laser issue is comparable, but I am not going to ruin a good Sony-too (TM)…

Brucey

MS fully knew they were selling more likely than normal faulty units and they took a chance on their beta testers users because they wanted to beat PS3 out of the gate after kind of stealing the CPU design from the team working on CELL ;). I do not think the PS2 laser issue is comparable, but I am not going to ruin a good Sony-too (TM)…
My recollection from Lisa's comments is that IBM upper management raised up the Kimono and showed Microsoft what they were working on with the Cell. So more a "betrayal" from IBM and not MS cloak and dagger stuff

Gp1

Thanks for fucking up my upgrade plan Intel.

I got a 12400f with a good mobo knowing that even Alder lake requires a mobo with good "power quality" on the high end CPUs. I was expecting to upgrade to faster raptor/raptor refresh in the future, maybe even second handed.

What a sad state the electronics market is now. Not even CPUs that used to last for decades are safe.

SpokkX

I have a 14700F which so far has been stable. Updated bios, intel profile etc - but fix is coming so soon. Worth it to not use the computer for a couple of weeks? Hassle to replace CPU…

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
My 13700k showed the not enough memory error when i tried to OC it to 5.6 all cores, of course due to the amount of voltage the cpu was asking. I have it OCed all cores at 5.5, undervolted, i also delid the cpu. Ever since i haven’t had the memory issues but sometimes when i boot into windows the taskbar doesn’t show up. I have to force restart. Don’t know if that is cpu related. I tested all other parts the my system and everything is fine. Will definitely be switching to amd for the next X3D cpu.

simpatico

Gold Member
I would be rocking a 13700k right now if MicroCenter didn't have an absurd deal on the 7800x3D when I was shopping. We should all be doing it weekly at the least, but this is just a reminder to everyone to call MicroCenter and just thank the person who answers the phone. Don't know where we'd be without them. I'm not completely happy with the 7800, but at least it works.

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
I would be rocking a 13700k right now if MicroCenter didn't have an absurd deal on the 7800x3D when I was shopping. We should all be doing it weekly at the least, but this is just a reminder to everyone to call MicroCenter and just thank the person who answers the phone. Don't know where we'd be without them. I'm not completely happy with the 7800, but at least it works.
Why are you not completely happy?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
My recollection from Lisa's comments is that IBM upper management raised up the Kimono and showed Microsoft what they were working on with the Cell. So more a "betrayal" from IBM and not MS cloak and dagger stuff
Potato - Potato going by the book of those that were there, but still… very poor form from IBM (would never work with them again if I were Sony or MS), but MS was bot exactly innocent either.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I have a 14700F which so far has been stable. Updated bios, intel profile etc - but fix is coming so soon. Worth it to not use the computer for a couple of weeks? Hassle to replace CPU…
Since damage is permanent, I would try to use the system as little as possible until the fix is out if it were my system.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I mean... what did you think, that they'd magically reverse damage to a CPU?

lol

They have a "fix" coming, despite what the thread title says.. but they can't un-fuck-up a CPU. But I don't trust Intel's "fix."

ReBurn

Gold Member
The passive aggressive persecution complex that comes out whenever someone mentions Sony's poor treatment of their customers or shoddy build quality of past systems, as well as their unwillingness to take responsibility for any of the missteps around them, is always funny to me.

The conversation wasn't even about what went wrong with the devices, it was about how the companies responded once their customers were affected. People didn't have to sue Microsoft to get their Xbox 360 consoles repaired or prior repairs refunded. Hopefully people don't have to sue Intel to get their CPU issues rectified. We know from history that Sony usually has to be sued to take responsibility for their hardware screw ups.

Thermals. Just feels a bit inelegant. With a little finesse about how it ramps up for light loads, I think I'd like it more. Raw perf is great. Just needs better handling (to give a car analogy)
What makes the 7800X3D so hot is that it's OC'ed out-of-the-box for maximum performance. This CPU will increase its frequency until the maximum safe temperature is reached, and only then decrease its frequency to maintain that safe temperature. This ensures that your CPU cooler is always at full work and buying a better cooler will help the 7800X3D perform better.

If you want to lower the temperature for whatever reason, follow this guide, as you can get much lower temperatures and better performance without buying a better cooler.

I also limited the SOC voltage, and now my idle power stays at 82-84 watts (94 watts with ARGB lighting on). Temps on my endorfy fortis 5 air cooler do not reach 80°C even at full load (cinebench) and 60-65°C while gaming.

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
Correct and I feel legit bad for anyone who has any 13/14th series CPUs. It feels like a ticking timebomb for them.

Even the 600 and 700 could have issues.

it's still strange to me how the 12 series isn't affected.
I'm on the 12900k as we speak but after this, I would be very cautious to buy another CPU from them. Didn't they at first try and deny all of this?

YeulEmeralda

Linux User
They are still in the denial stage when it comes to warranty apparently. Microsoft denied the issue for a long time as well, except Microsoft knew they had problems out of the gate at launch but didn't want to delay their "head start" for that gen.

You're right they came on a Dutch consumer program and denied it. But just a few weeks later they did start a massive operation to fix their shit.

This is a mess to say the least.

Had a mate who managed to send back their i7 (14th gen) but no luck with their motherboard, therefore they trying to get a B650 board for a 7800X3D

PaintTinJr

Are there any downside to Ryzen cpus? From what I read, they seem more powerful+reliable.
I would say anecdotally from laptops AMD run hotter at idle, and require more care with thermal pasting when air cooling, but in a desktop system with adequate fans and a decent CPU cooler neither issue should be more than a tiny, tiny uplift in energy wasted.

Top Bottom