• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There is no fix for Intel’s crashing 13th and 14th Gen CPUs — any damage is permanent

winjer

Gold Member
I should be fine, I had to return my computer due to a delivery mishandled and it got extensively stress tested ....(it was my gpu that sustanied damage during delivery).I should be good.......I hope

Update the UEFI as soon as you can. And try undervolting, at least until Intel's new microcode.
And keep your receipts, just in case.

Ironbunny

How would I even know my 13900ks is damaged?

Download HWInfoi64. Run it with 3D Mark or some other benchmark and see how high the voltages go on your cpu. If the highs or average is over 1.45v - 1.6v your cpu is most likely degrading.

Heres mine from left to right / current - min. - max. - average /

6BtoX1e.jpeg

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Update the UEFI as soon as you can. And try undervolting, at least until Intel's new microcode.
And keep your receipts, just in case.
Don't worry I have a warranty until 2026.But thanks for all the info, I will update asap.Even though It should already be up to date .... or at least until the fix is released.

winjer

Gold Member
Download HWInfoi64. Run it with 3D Mark or some other benchmark and see how high the voltages go on your cpu. If the highs or average is over 1.45v - 1.6v your cpu is most likely degrading.

6BtoX1e.jpeg

HWInfo might not pick up all the changes in voltage.
Notice how when Buildzoid starts Cinebench, for a moment, the oscilloscope registers 1.617v
This is him testing Intel's latest UEFI.

Last edited:

Ironbunny

HWInfo might not pick up all the changes in voltage.
Notice how when Buildzoid starts Cinebench, for a moment, the oscilloscope registers 1.617v
This is him testing Intel's latest UEFI.

True but it certainly gives you some view on how your cpu is performing.

Skifi28

Probably lots of people - look at all the clowns who still buy microsoft consoles after the RROD issue.
That's a pretty bad take. It's not about the issue, but how you handle it. As bad as the RROD was, MS handled it very well and on top of that all their future console hardware was very reliable so I don't see why the people that buy them are "clowns". AMD has had hardware issues in the past and now with this problem Intel faces, I guess one must stop buying desktop CPUs altogether in order not to be a clown.

SonGoku

This they do take some more power, special windows power plan and app for the cpu is needed or there would be issues

I regret getting a ryzen 3600 (I know a few gens old now) everyone on YouTube recommended the chip and on here. I was Intel person (outside of Athlon 2 xp and Athlon 64 back in the day), as Intel had been flawless for me.

My ryzen chip causes bsod crashes every other day. Mem and drivers checked, all dump files reveal possible vague cpu issues. Thing is it only crashes during idle or browsing, not during games or usage apparently it could be a sign of a bad core which from a few articles was common on first run zen 2 chips.

I compare my gaming rig to my work laptops over years (currently 11th Gen i7) which chugs with tons of windows applications and things running say after day with zero crashes.

All I know is next time I'm going to look into it more and not rely on opinions from fanboys in disguise or payed off YouTube reviewers who have a clear bias or sponsorship. Until then will have to deal with the once every few days bsod.
On the bright side you could upgrade to either a 5700x3d or 5800x3d without upgrading your setup and get a massive cpu boost.
One of the best things about AM4 is how long it was supported

Leonidas

AMD's Dogma: ARyzen (No Intel inside)
As bad as the RROD was, MS handled it very well...
MS handled it poorly. Xbox 360 started with only a 90 day warranty. Mine broke after 6 months and they wouldn't fix it.

Xbox 360 extended warranty didn't come till 6 months after mine had already broken.

I doubt you'll find anyone who went 6 months without a CPU.

Last edited:

Skifi28

MS handled it poorly. Xbox 360 started with only a 90 day warranty. Mine broke after 6 months and they wouldn't fix it.

Xbox 360 extended warranty didn't come till 6 months after mine had already broken.

I doubt you'll find anyone who went 6 months without a CPU.

I'm sure many people had issues individually, but again, the way the overall problem was handled with free repairs out of warranty for what was likely millions of consoles was unprecedented. I imagine American consumer laws don't help in your case, in Europe all electronics come with 1-2 years of warranty.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I got the E73 and the RRoD, in 2 separate occasions, on my X360. Both times, MS took care of the console. For both times, they paid for the shipping and the repair.

And a couple of months ago, I got joycon drift on my Series X controller. I just went to MS site, requested a repair.
And once again, MS paid for the shipping and the repair.

I give a lot of shit to MS, but when it comes for their hardware support, they are very good.

Last edited:

Leonidas

AMD's Dogma: ARyzen (No Intel inside)
I got the E73 and the RRoD, in 2 separate occasions, on my X360. Both times, MS took care of the console. For both times, they paid for the shipping and the repair.

And a couple of months ago, I got joycon drift on my Series X controller. I just went to MS site, requested a repair.

I give a lot of shit to MS, but when it comes for their hardware support, they are very good.
They're great now.

They really sucked before the Xbox 360 extended warranty.

LectureMaster

Gold Member

6BtoX1e.jpeg
This is while running cinebench. Should I be worried?

zHT7wlQ.png

Microsoft offering a three year warranty on a product that is defective by design and is guaranteed to fail isn't "very good", especially when the refurbished devices didn't fix the root cause.

Sony handled it just as poorly with the fat Playstation 2 V1-V8 lasers being a ticking time bomb and not acknowledging it with a proper extended warranty.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
That's a pretty bad take. It's not about the issue, but how you handle it. As bad as the RROD was, MS handled it very well and on top of that all their future console hardware was very reliable so I don't see why the people that buy them are "clowns". AMD has had hardware issues in the past and now with this problem Intel faces, I guess one must stop buying desktop CPUs altogether in order not to be a clown.
Let's not forget that around that time Nvidia GPU's were falling apart at an astonishing rate.

Maestr0

Damn, I'm glad i'm still on a 9900k, honestly I'm considering AMD to replace, but that's just ultra level of bad, is this the nvidia burn cable level of BS that is happening ?

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yeah, I'm fully switching over to AMD. Glad this blew up before I built a new desktop - I probably wouldn't have had any idea otherwise.

Boglin

I knew intel/AMD/Nvidia fanboys existed but I never thought they could be on the same level as console fanboys. "No problem if you can RMA."

I was proven wrong.
I think it's the same in literally every hobby. There are even fanboys of fishing gear who will get in heated arguments and attack others for not using the "correct" equipment, despite the other people being happy with whatever they're using and having no problems catching fish. Pigheadedness is everywhere.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Going from 10700F to AMD's 3D chips next year is gonna be the nicest jump ever! LGA 1700 had a lot of red flags
for me but I didn't think it was going to end up being this bad!

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Last time i updated was just before christmas, should I update?

Yes. Intel released a new UEFI last month that already reduces voltages to a safer level.
It still isn't the full fix, but it should help.
Around mid August, check again for a new UEFI.

Top Bottom