• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kabuto

Phew after being at the Apple Store for over an hour, my 6S+ is finally on ios 10 :')

Feel so bad for the employees haha they're just standing and waiting for the phones to restore or download the itunes/ios updates

empyrean

Just wanted to warn people that after updating my alarms were there as usual. Just checked before bed and they had disappeared! Worth double checking to make sure they haven't disappeared so you aren't late for work tomorrow!

Soooo... Is there any reason I just watched my phone lose 350MB of space in real time with no apps opened? Because after I updated my phone it had 600MB free, and then right before my eyes it slowly kept ticking down until it got to 250MB free. What the actual fuck? :\ Edit: turns out it wasn't done. Lost another 30MB, again, without doing a damn thing. None of my app sizes have grown throughout this either.

Oh, and the whole rent a movie to forcibly clear app caches trick doesn't work anymore, because you can now rent a movie without actually having the space for, where before it would cancel the purchase once it finished clearing caches if there still wasn't enough space...

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I'm leaving that one in because I have no problem with that app but just weird you can't just delete it.
Just want to create as much space on my phone as possible specially with apps that I never use anyway.

Well then I should tell you that you do not save any space by removing stock apps from the home screen.

My weather and calendar widgets (Forecast+ and Agenda+, same developer) look a bit out of place now, especially the latter. But the developers seem to have abandoned their apps a long time ago, so it's time to find replacements. Any suggestions?

For the weather widget, I'm looking for something clean and minimal that shows the current temperature, the low and high for the current day, and a forecast for the next few days. A 24h forecast would be nice too. Forecast+ is pretty much perfect:

img_4416opleuj5zdq.jpg

For the calendar widget, all I need is a compact list of the events for the next few days, though the number of days should be customizable. Again, Agenda+ is almost perfect:

img_01157es8we0zyb.jpg

(Not my screenshot - I've disabled the Reminders list on my devices)

I used to use Forecast+ and Agenda+ (and Paste+) previously but on iOS 10 I've since gone back to the stock Weather app's widget which is pretty much identical to what Forecast+ used to do but looks more in line with the OS and it doesn't require GPS location anymore (it shows the top sorted weather location in your app).

mollipen

your posts are confusing though.... wait and see why? For bugs? Even you ahven't objectively stated anything on bugs, which as I mentioned above are generally bug-free aside from a small number of affected users (for whatever reason).

For, I don't know, things like this? ;)

Really, me hesitation is always these things:
- Is something going to be screwed up about the update? (see above)
- Is there a particularly nasty bug in the latest version that won't be discovered until it's in wider release?
- Did Apple screw up an app in their X.0 refresh of apps from how I liked it?
- Is this OS version going to run worse on my hardware than the last one did?

It's hard for me to instantly pull up examples, but the Mac OS Wifi + Bluetooth bug that went on for way too long is one. There was one combination of iOS + device that made the overall user experience much slower for me—can't remember if it was iPhone or iPad. And there was something going on with an earlier version of iOS 9 that had scared me off of upgrading from iOS 8 until it seemed like things had been fixed.

So, I just don't see how it isn't common sense to wait and make sure your experience won't be made worse by one of any number of potential elements if you do the upgrade.

Skimming through the thread, looks like performance on 6s is pretty solid? Same if not better overall? Speed and snappiness still feel good without having to turn off any features or anything?

giga

Feels faster than iOS9. I love the quicker animations.

Anandtech touched on this in their review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10611/the-ios-10-review/6

In addition to animations, the iOS team improved scrolling performance too.

The iPhone 5s on iOS 10 has better scrolling performance than it ever has in the previous three years. This sort of thing is difficult to profile well even with XCode and Instruments, but I think it'll be immediately obvious to users that performance is improved, especially for users of older iOS devices that haven't had such a good time after being updated to iOS 8 and iOS 9.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
can't hide health and wallet apps. "other" folder ain't going anywhere I guess.

edit: I understand it has to do with system functions in relation to other apps.

-griffy-

Banned
The extra messages stuff, can iOS9 users see that?

Was using it in a group message with some people who didn't have 10, and me and another guy spamming all the new crap. I don't know exactly how it looked to them, but this is what they said:

"Are they supposed to be gifs??"
"It just looks like really lame pictures haha"
"It just says (sent with invisible ink)"

Vire

Was using it in a group message with some people who didn't have 10, and me and another guy spamming all the new crap. I don't know exactly how it looked to them, but this is what they said:

"Are they supposed to be gifs??"
"It just looks like really lame pictures haha"
"It just says (sent with invisible ink)"
Aww bummer, wanted to surprise a lady friend of mine with that.

If you have Reduce Motion turned on under Accessibility I don't think you'll get them. Also it only works for iMessage conversations obviously, not the green bubble SMS messages.

Ah that was it.

Final question (I feel like an old guy asking his son how his phone works): Can I turn off that I actually have to click on the home button? I just want it to open on touch.

Well this is some bullshit.

My home button hasn't worked in some time so I was using that on-screen icon as a replacement.

Needless to say I just updated my phone and in order to continue I need to hit the home button. Fuck.
Can you swipe to the widgets, search for settings in spotlight, and then turn on Assistive Touch in Accessibility to work around this?

Weird new thing is that non square album covers are now cropped into a square for whatever reason on the lock screen. It's super ugly for some covers too.

what the what now?

Sorry, my phone was bricked for a while but I got it to work again.

There is an issue with the 6/6+ where the graphics chip or something becomes disconnected over time because of the way it's soldered to the body of the phone, and since it's made of such light flexible material (BendGate) if your phone bends or flexes even the TINIEST bit you're fucked and your issues will range from spotty touchscreen failure to complete touchscreen failure.

Apple is and has been aware of the issue and it's a total design flaw but they won't replace phones for whatever fucking reason unlike they did with the Lock Button on the 4/5 flaking out or problems with the camera sensors developing dark spots on them if you take a picture of something with any kind of bright light in it. There's a mounting class action lawsuit and I'm normally all about the Apple Kool-Aid but when a phone that has been out of its box for less than an hour develops the problem and the touchscreen becomes unresponsive because at some point in the phone's life before you even got it it flexed slightly, but the company refuses to take responsability for it and replace the defective phones, that is NOT ok.

I've been absolutely desperate to update to an iPhone 7 since like 6-8 months into owning my 6+ when this started happening (I was on a 2-year cycle so I couldn't get a 6S+), then got a replacement via AppleCare (still had to pay for it since it wasn't covered, total bullshit) and the replacement was doing it literally out of the box, but I can't afford to upgrade right now so when my phone starting being a bitch during the setup and it looked like it was bricking I just about blew a gasket.

I cannot wait until I can ditch this piece of shit phone. I can go days without it happening and then suddenly it'll just happen out of the blue non stop, I've seriously been considering going back to my 5 it's such a pain in the ass to deal with.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Love the fact that everyone in the music app is super huge now that is fantastic because now I can better use it on the go specially in the sun.

I thought the same thing, much easier to see from a distance now.

Still can't stand it when music apps refer back to a database to find pictures of artists instead of the readily available album art. Lots of empty artists.

This is probably the one thing I hate the most going back to when they started, if they are going to force artist pictures they should at least use album art for the ones they can't find. Even better would just be letting us set our own too so I could choose what photo I think would let me easily recognise each artist.

I'm in the middle of putting my music back on my phone, and of the 50 artists on there currently there are 11 pictures, it just looks silly.

For iOS 10, the new music app looks okay, but I really dislike the playback options. You used to be able to tap the three dots next to a song and then add it to playlist, now in order to add a specific song to play next, you have to force touch the song and then select play next. It takes a bit longer and is annoying when you're trying to queue up a few songs quickly to enjoy on your run/drive. Also you can't quickly look at previously played songs which was also nice if you wanted to play them up next as well.

Watch OS3 is pretty nice, the dock makes the apps that I use on the watch really useful, but for the non-docked apps, the loading times are as tragic as they were before this update. Shouldn't be an issue with me as I put all the apps I use in the dock, but for those people who may use more than 10 apps, then it's the same issue as before.

The auto-unlock of your Mac with your Watch is pretty amazing, I'm loving that considering I unlock my Mac a few dozen times/day.

This shit is straight garbage.

My iPhone 6 is slow, especially when I close an app by pressing the home button. The fact that I have to click the home button to unlock my phone is also fucking stupid. I want to swipe or just use the touch id to have it open. Why do I have to press the most fragile button on the entire phone much more now?

Plus it refuses to let me swipe up the notifications to close them. What the fucking fuck is this. It feels like we're moving backwards. I'm so done with IOS. Been here from day 1 and never complained, But this is just plain stupid.

Vyer

I wouldn't mind a bit smaller font, but on the whole the new Music app is a hell of a lot better

This shit is straight garbage.

My iPhone 6 is slow, especially when I close an app by pressing the home button. The fact that I have to click the home button to unlock my phone is also fucking stupid. I want to swipe or just use the touch id to have it open. Why do I have to press the most fragile button on the entire phone much more now?

Plus it refuses to let me swipe up the notifications to close them. What the fucking fuck is this. It feels like we're moving backwards. I'm so done with IOS. Been here from day 1 and never complained, But this is just plain stupid.

Close everything out, retart the phone. The notifications not moving should tip you off that it's not working normally.

Ieu

This is really odd. My iPad Air 2 says it's not charging when I'm using the mains charger and 2m apple lighning cable - only started happening after the update. Is this a known thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom