• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

Any impressions from people running the original iPhone 5?

This is running surprisingly well on my iPhone 5. Looks like I'm not getting a new phone after all!
My 5 is crashing whenever I try to open Messages. :(

Hangs on a blank screen for about 20 seconds then kicks me back to home.

Edit. Must have been the indexing stuff people were talking about in thread. After the fifth time I tried it started working.

rubes7844

Banned
I'm working on 7 hours. 3 restarts. At one point it showed I was 2 days and 1 hour from the download phase being done and was stuck there for an hour before I decided to start again.

In the final phase, but this is really unacceptable.
I just left the phone alone next to my watch. I suppose it took around 2 hrs from start of download to full use of my watch.

What the fuck?

This is now the only way to flip pages while using iBooks vertically on the iPad.

If you want to have the text to be displayed normally on a single full page you're forced to use continuous scrolling mode.

...why?

This hasn't been my experience. Hmmm

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So I tried to delete apple default app but you can't detele all of them.
I thought you could :O
Health is not delete-able also find my iphone is not some more as well.
I think Find My Phone is tied to the On/Off switch in your iCloud accounts settings. Health, I dunno.
Doesn't actually delete it though it just hides the icon.
Yeah but if they're just being hidden then why not let those ones be hidden? Health especially. I will probably never use that. It's a niche feature. So why make it impossible to hide? Even if you hide it, it's not like the APIs it might have will also be removed. I dont see any reason it can't be hidden. Same with Wallet.

I'm going to be sliding to unlock, cursing, and then hitting the home button for the next two months.
You'll get used to it immediately. I did. I haven't accidentally tried to swipe since day 2.

X-Frame

Oh wow the Music app -- my eyes, they're burning!

Why is the font so big?! Was this update created by someone else and not Apple?

I mean I like the larger album art but everything is way too big.

Is it possible to remove the photo associated with a contact within a text message chat? I was able to remove the photos that display to the left of each contact when you open the Messages app, but I'm talking about the picture that displays on the top once you go into an individual message. I can't find how to remove the photo there.

Also, this update is surprisingly laggy on my 6s+, it's really annoying. It's been nine hours so it should be done indexing or whatever. And I *hate* how notifications are on two separate tabs and I hate how big they are. I also hate how they're white and difficult to read. Can any of these things be changed? :(

hirokazu

I'm leaving that one in because I have no problem with that app but just weird you can't just delete it.
Just want to create as much space on my phone as possible specially with apps that I never use anyway.
Here's a secret: You're not going to get any free space out of deleting stock apps from the home screen. The app doesn't get deleted from storage, it just stops it from clogging up the home screen.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
This hasn't been my experience. Hmmm
Ok, I just tried enlarging the font and what I posted only happens if you have the book set to the smallest font size available (some ebooks don't even have fonts that small). If it's even 1 point above the smallest size, it gets back on the normal page behavior.

Crisis averted! I feel stupid for not trying that before, but I'm also relieved.

Filth

Push and hold on the globe/emoji button and it gives you the option.

I love you. My phone since the update is not capable of making phone calls and my messenger will not open. Cannot open any settings in the menu. Soon as I get home I'm reinstalling everything :|

Also has anyone figured out how to open the phone with just your thumb? It uses your print but still requires a home button press. Very annoying.

hirokazu

What are the 'rules' for stickers? Sometimes you can put them seemingly anywhere, sometimes not.
You can put them anywhere on or above the most recent message, including other stickers, but not below that.

Also has anyone figured out how to open the phone with just your thumb? It uses your print but still requires a home button press. Very annoying.
Settings > General > Accessibility > Home Button > Rest Finger to Open.

Really not liking this interface. I'm using an iPhone 5. Don't like the fact that I have to slowly double click the home button to unlock phone. For the notification center, I much preferred to swipe down to quickly access widgets instead of swiping down then left. Also, what's with swiping left and right in control center to switch between music and settings? I preferred it when it was condensed into one panel. In terms of design, I don't like the flatness of everything, iOS9 had some nice fades and transitions that seem to be missing in iOS10 . My initial impressions is that this is a huge downgrade in terms of UI.

Edit: Just opened Music App. This is terrible. Everything is oversized. The downloaded button overlaps with the "..." button. Seriously Apple?

Filth

You can put them anywhere on or above the most recent message, including other stickers, but not below that.

Thank youuuu. Can't get into any menu settings. Phone just freezes.

DJ88

If he has reduce motion turned on, he will not see any of the effects you send him in iMessage. Have him turn it off and then try again

Reduce motion was off so that wasn't it. But surprisingly, just turning off iMessages and turning it back on did work.

Tabris

i'm going to lump in watchOS3 with this thread since there isn't a thread for that.

Is it normal for the actual update (after the long update) to take a very long time?

hirokazu

Any impressions from people running the original iPhone 5?
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/09/good-news-ios-10-runs-pretty-well-on-the-iphone-5-and-5c/

Running on my mum's phone for two days now. Subjectively seems to be just as well as iOS 9. Very impressed.

Yeah but if they're just being hidden then why not let those ones be hidden? Health especially. I will probably never use that. It's a niche feature. So why make it impossible to hide? Even if you hide it, it's not like the APIs it might have will also be removed. I dont see any reason it can't be hidden. Same with Wallet.
The stuff you can't delete will be things Apple considers essential to the functioning of the phone and/or features they currently want to push in your face so you give it a go and maybe might like it.

Yeah, the Music app is getting further and further away from what I want as they lean harder and harder into Apple Music. Unsurprising that they continue to degrade the very concept of music ownership.

Jeffrey

how is apple watch these days?

used for 2015 edition is cheap enough that I kinda want to buy one to play around with.

TheLegend

Any tricks for getting Split View / multitasking on iPad Pro for multiple apps (not multiple tabs in Safari)? I used to easily get this by swiping right to left from off the screen in iOS 9. Since the upgrade I haven't been able to get this to work, I get the little arrow to appear but I can't seem to pull another app in. Not sure if there's another gesture here or what.

Also, is there any way to have the iMessage text effects work without turning off Reduce Motion?

FTF

Is there a way to make the phone unlock without clicking the home button? Like before you could just have your fingerprint touch without actually clicking the button.

Thank you!!

Majine

Banned
Is there a way to make the phone unlock without clicking the home button? Like before you could just have your fingerprint touch without actually clicking the button.

Yes, you can turn that back in the settings. Under accessibility I think.

Surprised it is taking so long for Watch updates. Mine took maybe 20-25 minutes total. It is worth the wait though. Apple Watch is much snappier and easier to use.

This is more about the new itunes but do the artist images you upload here actually stay in the metadata? And transfer to the iPhone?

rGd3zgKl.png

I love my Apple Watch but fucking hell do I dread updating it, I need to set aside several hours of my day to sit there and babysit the damned thing.

I'm just about to leave for work, and wanted to update my Watch beforehand, but reading people having to take 6 hours put me off for now. I bet it'll take 20 minutes when I finally get to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom