• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

empyrean

Bedtime seems like a great addition in theory, but the execution is a bit half-baked. A lot more steps than seems necessary, and there's no way to even preview the wake-up sounds.

hahaha you really weren't kidding. At first I thought it was some kind of 4chan troll, but...these look like legitimately confused people.

You can preview the sounds by clicking on them, they just start off very quiet and gradually get louder.

ryan299

Can you not send the invisible messages, fireworks, etc on iphone 6? I'm long pressing on the blue arrow and nothing is happening.

You can preview the sounds by clicking on them, they just start off very quiet and gradually get louder.

Huh, yeah I had to turn my phone up. Those sounds would never wake me up. It's like waking up to an Apple commercial. Guess I'm sticking to the old alarms. Too bad you can't pick your own music and volume with Bedtime.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Hmmm, I use Touch ID to unlock my phone, now it doesn't always unlock it straight away and i have to press the home button now to unlock it, can his be changed?

Also it's annoying how the keyboard no longer goes back to the text after choosing a punctuation mark, I liked that.

Oh and the music app is ghastly.

You can change it. Just understand the logic of why you have to push the button now.

Touching the Touch ID (especially on TouchID v2 post 6S) will zip past the lock screen and you'll completely miss all the notifications or widgets.

Now they'd made it so a button press is the choice to unlock the phone, so you have control over whether you want to look at the lock screen or open the phone.

SlickVic

I don't get the new swipe up menu..

Instead of having everything on one page.. now it's in 2? Why is this better? I have to swipe up and then over just to pause my podcast.

Yeah, especially when what they replaced that area of the 'swipe up menu' isn't very useful to me. I never use AirPlay Mirroring, Airdrop, or Nightshift. I'd much rather have playback control in that area, as it was before.

If you swipe down while you're on the music controls, when you swipe up again it'll still be on the music controls.

Yeah, but this doesn't seem permanent. I noticed it stayed on music controls immediately after, but after I stopped listening to the podcast and went back to listen a few hours later, sure enough I had to swipe the menu again to get to the playback controls again.

Sure, this is only mildly annoying, but it's just a bit frustrating to see functionality that worked perfectly before (for my needs at least) made a bit more sluggish than it was before. For me, all this AirPlay and Airdrop stuff could've been moved to the second page.

hirokazu

When you change it from the new way you can't quickly access the camera/notifications
Yes you can. If your phone can do Raise to Wake, the screen will already turn on without pressing any buttons. If not, you can read the lock screen by pressing the power/lock button.

An interesting thing to note is that Rest finger to open is enabled by default if you already have the AssistiveTouch shortcut enabled.

When I first updated, I thought "Oh, they have Rest finger to open as the default option now? Guess they realised from the betas that Press to unlock was too big a change." Then my sister complained about having to press the home button all the time and I found out it is actually off by default unless AssistiveTouch is enabled.

Guess Who

Banned
The second page of Control Center seems like it was designed for the headphone jack-less fantasy world Apple believes we live in where we are surrounded by Bluetooth and AirPlay speakers and need to change audio outputs all the time.

BocoDragon

The second page of Control Center seems like it was designed for the headphone jack-less fantasy world Apple believes we live in where we are surrounded by Bluetooth and AirPlay speakers and need to change audio outputs all the time.

A lot of people do live in that "fantasy world". Plenty of Kodi installs near me. I need to be able to use them.

But actually, I don't think the dedicated audio player page that has anything to do with multiple output options. The audio output switching was on the old control center on the front page. The new version doesn't seem more catered to that at all.

I think it's more of a matter of showing the full music album and controls and providing focus on it.

Yeah, all I've ever wanted was when I come home, I want whatever I was listening to on my phone to start playing from my Mac. I don't listen to my phone at home, and can't imagine most people are. Whenever I go to someone's house, they're playing music from their MacBook. But this still doesn't exist as a feature. If anything would be a perfect use of Handoff, it would be that.

Can you not send the invisible messages, fireworks, etc on iphone 6? I'm long pressing on the blue arrow and nothing is happening.

You have to turn off reduce motion. I don't understand why, but otherwise it doesn't work.

settings > general > accessibility > reduce motion

hirokazu

I don't get the new swipe up menu..

Instead of having everything on one page.. now it's in 2? Why is this better? I have to swipe up and then over just to pause my podcast.
I kinda thought the same thing when I first saw it, but it does remember which page you're on. And the layout is nicer to me...

They wouldn't have been able to fit Home stuff in there without an extra page anyway so they probably figured it'd make sense to split the audio stuff to a new page while they're at it.

jts

...hate me...
Is Ive even involved in iOS anymore? Recent improvements make me think he's back to just hardware, where he belongs.

SlickVic

You can change it. Just understand the logic of why you have to push the button now.

Touching the Touch ID (especially on TouchID v2 post 6S) will zip past the lock screen and you'll completely miss all the notifications or widgets.

Now they'd made it so a button press is the choice to unlock the phone, so you have control over whether you want to look at the lock screen or open the phone.

I think it's smart they added that to iOS 10, since I do know quite a few people who complained of how fast touch ID worked they hardly saw notifications.

Though personally, I just turned on the 'rest finger to open' option under Accessibility and I think this works better for how I use my phone. If I want to check the time or just notifications, I can just lift the phone from my pocket without touching the home button and see that information. If I want to unlock my phone, I like I can rest my thumb on the home button as I take the phone out from a pocket and it's already unlocked without having to push the home button. Definitely will be testing it out over the coming weeks, but so far I like it.

BocoDragon

I think it's smart they added that to iOS 10, since I do know quite a few people who complained of how fast touch ID worked they hardly saw notifications.

Though personally, I just turned on the 'rest finger to open' option under Accessibility and I think this works better for how I use my phone. If I want to check the time or just notifications, I can just lift the phone from my pocket without touching the home button and see that information. If I want to unlock my phone, I like I can rest my thumb on the home button as I take the phone out from a pocket and it's already unlocked without having to push the home button. Definitely will be testing it out over the coming weeks, but so far I like it.

Yeah I think that's right. The setup is better for the masses, but if you're a power user happy with "raise to wake", then maybe you can opt-into "rest finger to open".

Personally on iPhone 6 Plus, I don't even have "raise to wake". It's a 6S and higher feature only.

samn

The problem with doing that is that simply having the screen on isn't enough for interaction with many notifications, you gotta Touch ID to authenticate yourself

Mistake

Gold Member
Yeah I just use raise to wake now, but before I would use my thumb knuckle to stay on the lockscreen. The new lock noise is bad. Sounds like a shutter hitting a house and I can barely hear it

BocoDragon

The new keyboard noises were kind of a shock. 9 years of subconscious attachment to the "click click" and now it's gone.

I think it's fine though. Seems like a less "skeumorphic" noise now that we as a culture understand touch keyboards and don't necessarily expect it to make a 'click' sound like a physical keyboard.

SlickVic

The problem with doing that is that simply having the screen on isn't enough for interaction with many notifications, you gotta Touch ID to authenticate yourself

That can definitely be an issue, but for me, I suppose I don't really interact with notifications a whole lot. I use it to periodically check if an important email or message came in since my phone is usually on silent, otherwise it goes back in my pocket. Raise to wake makes that functionality more convenient. If I really need my phone for something, I also like that the phone can be 'woken' and unlocked as soon as I have it at eye level. Sure, it means you might miss notifications, but my message and mail app on the home screen are already telling me about anything unread, and that's essentially all the notifications I really care about.

hirokazu

Apple Music looks horrible on my 5c, is it any better on the larger phones? All of the text and album art are fucking massive.
I haven't really used the Music app much since I got fed up with its jankiness in iOS 9, but for what it's worth, I hated the look of the iOS 10 News app when I saw screenshots of it. The super bold text was the complete opposite of the super thin post iOS 7 text.

But it took about a minute of using the new News app to completely love it and how much it's improved over the previous one.

Number45

Thanks, yeah that's what I meant.

I didn't need to go left in the control panel before 🤔
Yeah, I'm not going to defend that change. It's now on two screens and has, from what I can recall, less functionality to boot. Not having the ability to "love" a track from there is one of my biggest gripes.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
The changes to the interface are pretty good overall. The Today page I feel like I'd use more now. Don't like iMessage though, tbh, and would like the old one back. New emoji design for the smileys doesn't seem better to me. Everything is wicked fast on the 6S, though. The update on the iPad Pro 9.7 is very good too.

Haven't seen it mentioned, but it seems to me that Night Shift has more granularity towards the Less Warm side of the scale now? I used to use it all the way to the left and it was still fairly warm, but that same setting is more blue now. This is great as I can more closely dial it to an accurate white balance and possibly run Night Shift all the time now (don't understand Apple's penchant for ~6900K default, maybe the new 7 display is better)

Also, time/date on the lock screen looks awful. Way too much weight on the font.

Also, also, Raise to Wake + Rest Finger setting = bliss. It's like a more refined Moto X experience that I missed.

Fliesen

one of the BIGGEST improvements in the iMessage app are youtube embeds.

it embeds the video, it's silent by default, it doesn't go to full screen when you tap it.

Essentially you can do "reaction gifs" WITH sound.

Youtube should add functionality so you can search for youtube vids straight from iMessage.

i just had a long conversation with AppleCare+ (for the sake of having my iPhone 6 replaced) and i sent this https://youtu.be/MJXww8aizAM to my girlfriend. It's perfect. Game changer.

btw, if anyone's wondering, like me, where stickers will be placed on the recepient's end when you attach them to a message bubble (since those are on the other side for the recepient) -> the sticker is always to the right of the bubble. so any kind of stickers that do some "pointing to the left" will work for both the sender as well as the recepient.
case in point:

my end
jpSIRtT.png

her end:
y3xjebC.png

BeeDog

I updated to the GM (iOS 10.0.1) with a beta profile last week, but removed the profile and tried to update to the retail release. My OTA check doesn't find any update, has it been released yet or is it supposed to be put up later today? This thread is quite huge so hard to find the information.

I updated to the GM (iOS 10.0.1) with a beta profile last week, but removed the profile and tried to update to the retail release. My OTA check doesn't find any update, has it been released yet or is it supposed to be put up later today? This thread is quite huge so hard to find the information.

The GM you're on is the retail release. Same builds, no different

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Went over to Mum's updated her iPhone 6+. Had to teach her how to use the fingerprint reader since normally she would ALWAYS slide enter password even though I told her she had no reason to lol. Lets hope it sticks and she learns to use finger reader with no issues. 🙃

Gandie

Looks and works great on my SE. Raise to wake is great.

I wish the lockscreen was a little less cluttered. I know I have to press the home button to unlock, don't tell me everytime.

Mr Swine

Banned
Any slowdown or other issues updating an OG iPhone 6?

I have a 6 plus and there is still some occasional slowdown but I'm running with reduce motion of. But so far it's smoother than iOS 9.X

Edit: well seems iOS 10 broke YouTube with its new volume bar. Now I hope Google fixes it

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Huh, yeah I had to turn my phone up. Those sounds would never wake me up. It's like waking up to an Apple commercial. Guess I'm sticking to the old alarms. Too bad you can't pick your own music and volume with Bedtime.
I was in your mindset when beta 1 hit but I since exclusive use bedtime as my alarm. I have to say it does work and makes waking up more pleasant.

Number45

I have a 6 plus and there is still some occasional slowdown but I'm running with reduce motion of. But so far it's smoother than iOS 9.X

Edit: well seems iOS 10 broke YouTube with its new volume bar. Now I hope Google fixes it
Broke how? I've been using YT on iOS10 for weeks now with no issues.

spats

Relatively new to the iPhone family, got my SE just a few weeks ago. Liking the changes introduced in iOS10, especially raise to wake+resting my finger on touch id to unlock. So smooth!

However saw this when I did a Siri web search a while ago. Squashed Bing icon, what the hell! :)

Just updated and I hate it. Lots of new features that I don't really need, and as someone who's been swiping to unlock for years I don't welcome the home button unlocking at all.
Is it possible to downgrade back to 9?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom