• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkgoo

Here's a secret: You're not going to get any free space out of deleting stock apps from the home screen. The app doesn't get deleted from storage, it just stops it from clogging up the home screen.

Some of the stock apps (podcasts I'm looking at you) were caching a bunch of data you couldn't get rid of. By "hiding" them it does remove the app data to an extent. I recovered 1.2 GB from deleting the podcast app and reinstalling.

My gf has a 6s just like me we both updated. when I send her the fancy messages she gets it in plain text. ..but she can send the fany stuff....
Is this a known issue?

Some of the stock apps (podcasts I'm looking at you) were caching a bunch of data you couldn't get rid of. By "hiding" them it does remove the app data to an extent. I recovered 1.2 GB from deleting the podcast app and reinstalling.

I like Podcasts for viewing the directory and see what's out there but otherwise I use Overcast or Pocketcasts.

bigkrev

Hate the new iMessage stuff. If I shut off iMessage in my phones settings, will everyone who uses iMessage to text me be automatically set to SMS or is there something else I have to do?

Also, is there any way to change it so swiping unlocks the phone instead of needing to press home? I don't have touchID active.

dem

I don't get the new swipe up menu..

Instead of having everything on one page.. now it's in 2? Why is this better? I have to swipe up and then over just to pause my podcast.

The GIANT sized volume slider on the lock screen looks way out of place.

flyover

Accessibility -> Home Button

This should be stickied in the OP since it's what we all want lol. The change from it being default makes no sense.

Is there any way to restore "slide to unlock"? I don't mind the new way, but my 75yo dad is never going to get used to it. I honestly may hold off on upgrading his OS, if there's no way, for now.

Mr Swine

Banned
So far I like ios10 on my iPhone 6 Plus. Feels really smooth with a few hitches. Feels a bit smoother than iOS 9 and I really love that you can access the widget screen by pulling the notification screen down! And you can phone people directly from that!

I really hope app makers make more apps compatible

MrDenny

So far safari seems to be running a lot more smoother on my iPad Pro. Before safari would sometimes have a split second delay when scrolling down a page. Only way to fix it was closing and reopening the app, but on iOS 10 I haven't encounter the problem yet.

Ashhong

One thing that would make the app much better, is if you can click on the artists name and just go to their discography.

The artist name used to be pink on past betas and I thought they would add that in.

How did you get to that page? Is that from your own physical library? I went to the same album and I see the pink artist name. I also see a description of the album as I should, as well as the cloud icons. It doesn't look like you are looking at Apple Music, which would be why you can't click on the name

When you change it from the new way you can't quickly access the camera/notifications

What do you mean? I enabled the rest to unlock method and I can access camera/notifications just fine?

Running smoothy as butter on my 5S, but I have one problem with the music app. Used to be able to turn off all visibility of music that you've purchased but had not downloaded, and there used to be a toggle to not show it in iOS9 but that seems to be gone. Anyone know if there is a way to turn it off? Otherwise its just in the way and nags you if you accidentally click on a track. Otherwise, its fast and a great update!

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
My gif search is still gone in iMessage ;_;..apple please fix that!
I can't even choose it in the "manage"-tab

Lijik

I was messing around with ios10 and was loving it until I peeked in the music app. This is fucking garbage. Instead of just being able to remove the clutter of years of itunes purchases like it used to, I have to go into a seperate Downloaded Music tab? What the fuck sense does that make? They also list albums alphabetically instead of by year which is a major pain in the ass for me since I've been slowly going through Prince's huge ass discography in order

The only issue I had with the previous version was the dumb Recent Added bar and im dismayed that it has become the default list that pops up with no way to change it. Its also a bummer they no longer match the color scheme to album art, I thought that was a really cool detail.

Daigoro

i cant get predictive text to work in imessage. its just missing completely. cant find a setting for it anywhere. pressed and held the emoji button but it only has the options for emoji or QWERTY.

it also defaults to the emoji keyboard whenever i exit and re-enter the app...

anyone know whats up?

maybe because i had g-board installed? i deleted it when i updated, but the app is doing funky things...

yeah something is wonky. i just added the English (Canada) keyboard in settings and now i have predictive text. i think something odd happened when i set g-board to default.

when i went into the settings just now, there werent even any settings to change, they were all missing...

Instead of having everything on one page.. now it's in 2? Why is this better? I have to swipe up and then over just to pause my podcast.

If you swipe down while you're on the music controls, when you swipe up again it'll still be on the music controls.

When you change it from the new way you can't quickly access the camera/notifications

On the 6S/Plus and above (and SE) you'd just raise to wake and then swipe left to access the camera. On the 6 and prior I suppose you'd just hit the power button to wake the screen then swipe left to access the camera.

Is there any way to restore "slide to unlock"?

Short Answer - No; Long answer - Nope

Saved my life bro!

No probs

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
If you swipe down while you're on the music controls, when you swipe up again it'll still be on the music controls.

That was always the case, though?

Everything is just bigger now.

Running smoothy as butter on my 5S, but I have one problem with the music app. Used to be able to turn off all visibility of music that you've purchased but had not downloaded, and there used to be a toggle to not show it in iOS9 but that seems to be gone. Anyone know if there is a way to turn it off? Otherwise its just in the way and nags you if you accidentally click on a track. Otherwise, its fast and a great update!

Sorta solved my own problem/found a work around. Apparently 'music' on your phone (or at least mine) shows up all under 'Downloaded Music', and i had that selection clicked off in the main Library window. To listen to just music on your phone, you have to go into the 'Downloaded Music' area, then select whatever sorting preference you want. Then it shows a message at the top like, ' Only showing music on this phone' or something and works fine. Super annoying, but a workaround.

Ryck

iPhone 6 user here, wanted to check in here before I updated, seems like it is running really good, is there anything I should know? Does it take up more space or anything like that? Battery life etc?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I can't use the "3D touch the blue arrow in iMessage" feature at all. 3D touch works everywhere else, even inside iMessage (to give likes to others' messages), but the blue arrow won't give in. Tried disabling/enabling imessages, restarting it, holding down the button for 30 sec, using 3 different fingers, nothing.

Juice

I'm so glad that I'm put together in such a way as to like all of Apple's updates.

iOS 10 has been a huge improvement in the months I've been using it. Particularly the music app is much more usable for me and I've been discovering far more music since the switch to a more spacious layout.

+1 would popcorn again

kaitoe

I can't use the "3D touch the blue arrow in iMessage" feature at all. 3D touch works everywhere else, even inside iMessage (to give likes to others' messages), but the blue arrow won't give in. Tried disabling/enabling imessages, restarting it, holding down the button for 30 sec, using 3 different fingers, nothing.

Apparently if reduce motion is on, it disables the messages effects.

Mistake

Gold Member
Accessibility -> Home Button

This should be stickied in the OP since it's what we all want lol. The change from it being default makes no sense.
Yup, it should. Thanks.

I prefer the music app how it was before, but all in all this is a very nice update.

This too. I had no issue with the previous slider. The thread title should be "iOS 10: Old people friendly" with all the buttons being made gigantic. I also noticed that "define" was changed to "look up" and provides a translation into multiple languages if you have them added.

Oh, what exactly is the difference between "up next" and "calendar?"

Just letting everyone know you can disable that mess of images in iMessage

For those who don't know how to alter what is a give in the app section:

1) Click the arrow on the left,
2 Then the App Store button,
2) Then the 4 circles (to access your library of apps)
4) Then "Store"
5) Then switch to "manage"
6) Then disable "#images"

Also is it just me or can you not delete anything you have typed into that bing search box? Hope none of you have anything you don't want anyone to see in there...

Big Brett

Screenshots please? Curious to see.

TUehFk2.jpg
NZLw6jK.jpg
BhCOK3g.jpg

I agree, it's looking just fine. (6+ here, shouldn't be different from 6S+)

Also, anyone know of a very simple way to get a picture from my phone to a URL to post on here for example? Just an imgur app?

Oh my god, I went to the Yelp app page to see if I could find out what the hell the maps integration does (it doesn't say) but I found the most amazing thing: people will review the Yelp app is if it's the business itself. People leaving reviews for Chilis, Pep Boys, pool resurfacing, all in the App Store

Insane

Daffy Duck

Hmmm, I use Touch ID to unlock my phone, now it doesn't always unlock it straight away and i have to press the home button now to unlock it, can his be changed?

Also it's annoying how the keyboard no longer goes back to the text after choosing a punctuation mark, I liked that.

Oh and the music app is ghastly.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Phenomenal update, I think this is the biggest iOS update yet. This is first and foremost an 'AI update', and an 'app paradigm' update, changing the need too use individual apps.

My highlights so far:

- Home screen widgets: really useful, well executed, changes app use paradigm
- New Maps and extensions: massive improvement, and extensions change app usage paradigm
- Music app: easier, finally great with intelligence and curation
- News app: easier, finally great with intelligence and curation
- Photos app: easier, finally great with intelligence and curation
- Mail: smarter detection of contacts and threads

The only real miss is introducing three column layout for iPad mail without allowing drag to folders... Jony pls

Fliesen

Just letting everyone know you can disable that mess of images in iMessage

For those who don't know how to alter what is a give in the app section:

1) Click the arrow on the left,
2 Then the App Store button,
2) Then the 4 circles (to access your library of apps)
4) Then "Store"
5) Then switch to "manage"
6) Then disable "#images"

Also is it just me or can you not delete anything you have typed into that bing search box? Hope none of you have anything you don't want anyone to see in there...

i'd like to ENABLE #images, but it's not there :(

Bedtime seems like a great addition in theory, but the execution is a bit half-baked. A lot more steps than seems necessary, and there's no way to even preview the wake-up sounds.

Oh my god, I went to the Yelp app page to see if I could find out what the hell the maps integration does (it doesn't say) but I found the most amazing thing: people will review the Yelp app is if it's the business itself. People leaving reviews for Chilis, Pep Boys, pool resurfacing, all in the App Store

Insane

hahaha you really weren't kidding. At first I thought it was some kind of 4chan troll, but...these look like legitimately confused people.

ASTROID2

Hmmm, I use Touch ID to unlock my phone, now it doesn't always unlock it straight away and i have to press the home button now to unlock it, can his be changed?

Also it's annoying how the keyboard no longer goes back to the text after choosing a punctuation mark, I liked that.

Oh and the music app is ghastly.

Yeah you can change it in the settings. General < Accessibility < Home Button.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom