• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pressing home instead of swiping right to unlock is going to take a while.

Why not swipe right to unlock, and left for notification widgets, and up for the camera? Really dumb move. Not 'remove headphone jack' level dumb, but still.

EDIT: Jesus christ, what have they done to Music? It's somehow worse.

Fliesen

Why not swipe right to unlock, and left for notification widgets, and up for the camera? Really dumb move. Not 'remove headphone jack' level dumb, but still.

EDIT: Jesus christ, what have they done to Music? It's somehow worse.

adding even more and more swiping actions is kinda confusing.
(my dad HATES any kind of swiping shit)

There's already a "bottom up" swipe for control center.
the whole "swipe up from the left corner for handoff" "swipe up from the right corner for camera" and "swipe up from the middle for control center" was already very unintuitive.

I like the new setup, there's4 swipes, one of which people are going to use often (camera).

derExperte

10 on iPhone 5 is draining battery much faster than 9 even in standby over night. I already removed all the widgets, restarted and checked background apps, everything's the same and the battery itself isn't the issue, relatively new and was fine yesterday before the update. I don't think it's still doing stuff in the background, there's almost nothing on my phone to index but who knows.

Just updated and I hate it. Lots of new features that I don't really need, and as someone who's been swiping to unlock for years I don't welcome the home button unlocking at all.
Is it possible to downgrade back to 9?

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-downgrade-ios-10-beta-to-ios-9.x-tutorial/

I also want swipe back, will probably do the downgrade.

number11

I don't understand the home button unlock comments. Unless you don't use Touch ID, in what way is swiping right better than what we have now?

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
10 on iPhone 5 is draining battery much faster than 9 even in standby over night. I already removed all the widgets, restarted and checked background stuff, everything's the same and the battery isn't the issue, relatively new and was fine yesterday before the update.

It's draining my 6s as well. More than 30% of my battery was drained overnight. That's with background app refresh disabled and some other shit disabled. After around 1 minute of looking at the home screen, not doing anything, 1% of the battery is used. I dislike most of the changes in this update, and this battery drain is ridiculous.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Pressing home instead of swiping right to unlock is going to take a while.

Enable "Rest to Open" to stop the button pressing requirement.

That said, it took me about 2-3 days to get used to not swiping.
10 on iPhone 5 is draining battery much faster than 9 even in standby over night. I already removed all the widgets, restarted and checked background apps, everything's the same and the battery itself isn't the issue, relatively new and was fine yesterday before the update. I don't think it's still doing stuff in the background, there's almost nothing on my phone to index but who knows.

I also want swipe back, will probably do the downgrade.

It's draining my 6s as well. More than 30% of my battery was drained overnight. That's with background app refresh disabled and some other shit disabled. After around 1 minute of looking at the home screen, not doing anything, 1% of the battery is used. I dislike most of the changes in this update, and this battery drain is ridiculous.

The first few days after iOS 10 is installed you should expect excessive battery drain while the OS is re-indexing your phone's data, contacts, photos, messages etc. for the new learning algorithms.

Mistake

Gold Member
I'm probably going to downgrade just on how inconvenient they managed to make it. Two screens for notification and control center, along with everything in the music app being gigantic

giga

I don't see anything? :/

Also, I don't get why the yelp and IMDb apps aren't working for me in iMessage. I want to see what they do.

Do you have the opentable app installed? You might need it, and then you can make reservations within the maps app.

Fry

iPhone 5s here.

Every day after I wake up, my iPhone is 100% charged, and by the time I'm on my second bus, the batery is at around 90%.

Today, after installing iOS10, my batery was around 70%, and in less than an hour, went to 50%.

adding even more and more swiping actions is kinda confusing.
(my dad HATES any kind of swiping shit)

There's already a "bottom up" swipe for control center.
the whole "swipe up from the left corner for handoff" "swipe up from the right corner for camera" and "swipe up from the middle for control center" was already very unintuitive.

I like the new setup, there's4 swipes, one of which people are going to use often (camera).

Camera was fine when you had the icon in the bottom right corner and you swiped up from that.

They could have an option where you can either have the new notification home screen with home button unlock, or run 'classic' mode where it was like ios 9. But Apple doesn't like options.

Fliesen

My iPhone 6 seems to be running hot since the update, anyone had this problem? And what should I do about it?

is it plugged in and locked? maybe it's scanning your photo library for faces and memories.

btw, just found out that WatchOS 3.0 doesn't support SCRIBBLE for anything but english and chinese.

This is even more irritating than Siri being available in Germany, but not Austria.

We. Use. The. Same. Letters. As. The. English-Speakers.

(and scribble is single letter input, right? ...)

Camera was fine when you had the icon in the bottom right corner and you swiped up from that.

They could have an option where you can either have the new notification home screen with home button unlock, or run 'classic' mode where it was like ios 9. But Apple doesn't like options.

yeah, two entirely different modes. That'd be a great idea.
And no, Camera wasn't fine. It was super fiddly and difficult to do for people with small hands and big phones. The new way is way faster.

Tobor

Yeah, all I've ever wanted was when I come home, I want whatever I was listening to on my phone to start playing from my Mac. I don't listen to my phone at home, and can't imagine most people are. Whenever I go to someone's house, they're playing music from their MacBook. But this still doesn't exist as a feature. If anything would be a perfect use of Handoff, it would be that.

You'd be wrong. Literally everyone I know listens to music at home through their phones or tablets and wireless speakers. It's nearly always a conversation item at parties which Bluetooth speaker we all have.

I haven't used my Mac to play music in years.

SuperPac

I actually didn't think that camera icon was that convenient - especially not on the larger Plus phones. It was usually 50-50 if I'd get it on the first try. I much prefer being able to swipe anywhere for the camera after just raising the phone to wake. I know people generally don't like change but IMO the lock screen changes are way better than before and notifications and widgets are much easier to interact with without accidentally just unlocking the phone to the springboard.

is it plugged in and locked? maybe it's scanning your photo library for faces and memories.

btw, just found out that WatchOS 3.0 doesn't support SCRIBBLE for anything but english and chinese.

This is even more irritating than Siri being available in Germany, but not Austria.

We. Use. The. Same. Letters. As. The. English-Speakers.

(and scribble is single letter input, right? ...)

Edit: Raise phone to wake? Not happening on my six plus, do I need to enable this somewhere?

yeah, two entirely different modes. That'd be a great idea.
And no, Camera wasn't fine. It was super fiddly and difficult to do for people with small hands and big phones. The new way is way faster.

Swiping down for notifications, left for camera, right to unlock? It feels like they're just messing with established gestures for the hell of it.

And now I have to swipe right to get to the music controls after i've swiped up to get to the shortcut panel, because night mode apparently needs a big button now.

SeanR1221

Wait maybe this is spotty

So last night I thought if you just touched a notification in the Notification Center it wouldn't open, forcing you to force touch.

But now some app respond to a light touch and others don't. I just want to tap the notification and be taken to the app :/

mrkgoo

What's kind of funny is that inevitably with big OS releases, the features I'm excited for, once in hand, I go OK. cool. whatever, but I get pretty happy for some of the stuff I thought was pretty mediocre before hand.

SuperPac

Wait maybe this is spotty

So last night I thought if you just touched a notification in the Notification Center it wouldn't open, forcing you to force touch.

But now some app respond to a light touch and others don't. I just want to tap the notification and be taken to the app :/

You can also do a short swipe down on banner notifications to interact with them. I don't get too many banner notifications but you could always change the force needed to invoke 3D Touch and that might fix it for you.

SeanR1221

You can also do a short swipe down on banner notifications to interact with them. I don't get too many banner notifications but you could always change the force needed to invoke 3D Touch and that might fix it for you.

I don't mind using force touch but I want the option to just tap a notification in the Notification Center to open that app

Iadien

The first few days after iOS 10 is installed you should expect excessive battery drain while the OS is re-indexing your phone's data, contacts, photos, messages etc. for the new learning algorithms.

This is my first iPhone, so I'll take your word for it, but I just watched my phone's battery go from 85% to 79% in 2 minutes while updating 4 apps. lol

TheMink

Any way to circumvent "press home to open"?

I rest my finger on my thumb print habitually and litterally stare at the lock screen for a full 3 seconds before pressing the home button.

Is there anyway to look back at the iMessage thread when you have texted a long message before sending? You used to be able to pull from the top of your message to see the thread.

I used to just pull down on iMessage notifications that I acknowledged but didn't need to respond to so that it would get rid of the badge.
Now it seems like I have to pull the whole thing down in order to do that.

Iadien

I rest my finger on my thumb print habitually and litterally stare at the lock screen for a full 3 seconds before pressing the home button.

Try general > accessibility > Home Button, enable rest finger to open.

Milly79

Anyone have carrier issues since iOS 10? I'm on T-Mobile and am getting no service in areas I typically would. Not seeing a carrier update either, and not saying it's an issue iOS 10 brought on, but didn't experience this before updating. Having to restart the phone to get service isn't optimal at all. :/

giga

Anyone have carrier issues since iOS 10? I'm on T-Mobile and am getting no service in areas I typically would. Not seeing a carrier update either, and not saying it's an issue iOS 10 brought on, but didn't experience this before updating. Having to restart the phone to get service isn't optimal at all. :/
All good here. T-Mobile. There was a carrier update. Try a network reset.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
The problem with doing that is that simply having the screen on isn't enough for interaction with many notifications, you gotta Touch ID to authenticate yourself
You can authenticate with Touch ID though without going to your home screen. That's why the new setting works. Lift your phone, see a notification or go to your widgets, it says "you need to unlock first", just touch your thumb, and now it lets you do whatever without taking you out of the notification or widget. So I use Find Friends widget to check where my daughter is. But when I just swipe on the lock screen it hides the info (because I don't want someone to pick up my phone and see where she is) and says "unlock to view". Now if I just touch my thumb to the home button it'll show me her location on the lock screen.

But you have raise to wake now to do the same thing.

Wow. Thanks for this

So much better than press to unlock every single time even with finger print.

I'm baffled as to how anyone prefers the music app of old.

The new music app is terrible.

Removing the backgrounds themed around the album artwork was such a nice little touch.

Now it is white for every damn album.

g859

You have to turn off reduce motion. I don't understand why, but otherwise it doesn't work.

settings > general > accessibility > reduce motion

Thanks! I'm on a 6S+ and was wondering why this wasn't working for me with 3D Touch or long press and this solved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom