• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
You could before?
Yes.
notifications_group-800x459.jpg

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm a little curious about how Siri works.

Like for fun I set my Siri voice to Australian English because I like the accent. I'm in the US. But ever since I did I've had some points where Siri misunderstood what I said. Thing is when you change the voice to Australian it changes the Language to Australian and I am wondering if this actually affects how she hears my voice. I can't set the voice to be Australian and the language to United States which sucks. So I had to change back to the American voice which isn't as cool. I hate it. Why can't I change the language separate from the voice like this? Why even have separate options in cases where it's locked to one?

Just a stupid observation.

Also as for the camera access on the lock screen, I'll just say before I rarely needed to access the camera from there (Especially with Control Center) so the only time it would be used is when I was trying to open control center. So I'm glad it's changed.

Does anyone know what triggers the shooting star screen effect?

Like birthday with the balloons?

Type something. Hold on the up arrow to change the style. There's bubble effects and you can tap on screen to go through 5 full screen effects. Shooting star is the 5th one.

https://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-add-screen-effects-to-imessages-in-ios-10/

Ugh, wonder what the issue was before. I would love for that to come back.

Ambitious

In the expanded view of a notification ("View"), there's an X button in the top right corner. Intuitively, I would expect that button to simply close the expanded view and do nothing else. However, it also removes the notification. This feels kinda wrong to me.
I guess the idea is that the user has already seen the full notification, so there's no need to keep it around. But it is actually possible to dismiss the expanded view without deleting the notification by tapping the blurred background above or below the notification.

Neverfade

Screen effects aren't working for me.

I can send "Happy Birthday" and a buddy will see balloons but I get nothing.

Holding send doesn't do shit.

What do.

Jk figured it out. Cut off reduce motion for those looking for an answer.

Ambitious

you know for something that most people just set a schedule, the nightshade button is REALLY BIG in the command center lol.

Yeah the button is ridiculous. This is just further proof Apple needs to let us decide what goes there as they are doing a shitty job of it.

Serious WTF there. They moved the useful music control to a separate pane, and left that huge useless button.

Seriously, what the hell were they thinking?
I wonder the same about removing the option to group notifications by app. Why? Just why?

I thought the font was too big for News and Music but got used to it over time. Doesn't really bother me anymore.

The app works pretty well but I miss the matching backgrounds.

Dinskugga

I cant stand the new lock screen and how you open up your phone. Its just annoying

And when you get notifications from mails or texts ln your screen and it does not go away and when you trying swipe it away it doesnt unless you hit the "sweetspot"

Tobor

If you press the home button once and keep you finger there you don't have to press it again btw, even if you don't enable "rest to open" in accessibility.

Yeah, exactly. I have no idea how other people unlocked their phones before, but my usual way of doing it works the same as it did before.

Ambitious

When you let go of a notification too early while swiping it to the left, it might get stuck instead of fully moving to the left.

img_4421sws2j.png

Great contrast, Apple UI designers.
img_442257rbg.jpg

Ninja Dom

I cant stand the new lock screen and how you open up your phone. Its just annoying

And when you get notifications from mails or texts ln your screen and it does not go away and when you trying swipe it away it doesnt unless you hit the "sweetspot"

Swipe the notifications upwards. They disappear fairly easily.

Luke_Wal

Has anybody else had the Genius iMessage app just completely not work? It just shows the icon, but it won't launch for me.

Also: what have you guys found to be the best weather widget for iOS 10? The app I use now, Dark Sky, for some reason only shows the weather for the next hour, but I really want to be able to see in a pinch if it will rain at all during the day.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
So apparently they got rid of the ability to define words?? Also can you not see now what song is going to play next in Apple Music??

tap on Now Playing to bring up album art, scroll up from there to show up next.

hint: turn off lyrics unless you want to see the lyrics for that song, or you have to scroll through the lyrics before getting to Up Next.

I was in your mindset when beta 1 hit but I since exclusive use bedtime as my alarm. I have to say it does work and makes waking up more pleasant.

You were right. The actual alarm sound is much louder, and it did wake me up. I'm not used to ambient music like that, it kind of invaded my dream, but maybe I'll get used to it.

More interestingly, it seems that it is able to track your sleep to some degree, perhaps using the phone's accelerometer. If you click on the chart in Bedtime, it'll take you to the Sleep area of the Health app. in there you can see the raw data, and on mine it showed about when I actually put down the phone in bed, which was a fair bit later than what the Bedtime start time was set for.

I'm a little curious about how Siri works.

Like for fun I set my Siri voice to Australian English because I like the accent. I'm in the US. But ever since I did I've had some points where Siri misunderstood what I said. Thing is when you change the voice to Australian it changes the Language to Australian and I am wondering if this actually affects how she hears my voice. I can't set the voice to be Australian and the language to United States which sucks. So I had to change back to the American voice which isn't as cool. I hate it. Why can't I change the language separate from the voice like this? Why even have separate options in cases where it's locked to one?

I've been using the British female Siri voice for a year (because I'm not a fan of U.S. Siri at all), and generally she understands me, but I have noticed that when she doesn't, if I speak it with a British accent she often gets it. So I think there could be some association between the Siri voice and the expected input accent.

Ratros

Has anybody else had the Genius iMessage app just completely not work? It just shows the icon, but it won't launch for me.

Also: what have you guys found to be the best weather widget for iOS 10? The app I use now, Dark Sky, for some reason only shows the weather for the next hour, but I really want to be able to see in a pinch if it will rain at all during the day.

If you have a lot of messages before upgrade, it will take a while before system could sort them all out and get them organized. Wait a while and it will be fine. Or you could disable iMessage in settings, try reopening the app and then turn it back on again.

Tobor

Having had some time with it today, I love the new Music interface. It's clean, easy to navigate, and I still have all the functionality I need.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Jesus,

battery is awful now :(

every major OS update. every time.

maybe you are new to iOS.

When you update to a major iOS revision, the phone has to go through every app and refresh/redownload as needed. This drains the battery, big time.

Then after a day or so, everything is up to date and battery life goes back to normal.

you are welcome.

Ninja Dom

every major OS update. every time.

maybe you are new to iOS.

When you update to a major iOS revision, the phone has to go through every app and refresh/redownload as needed. This drains the battery, big time.

Then after a day or so, everything is up to date and battery life goes back to normal.

you are welcome.

Mmmm-Hmmm!!

Gigglepoo

Is anyone else have trouble getting their Bluetooth headphones to connect? I have an iPhone 6 and since I updated yesterday I have to turn my headphone off and on in the desperate hope that at some point my phone will recognize them. Even when it says they're connected I often don't get sound through them. Everything was fine until I upgraded to iOS 10, too.

Red

Forcing me to swipe left to access playback controls in Control Center kind of sucks.
Yeah I wish audio controls were the first pane.

I'm disappointed full screen message effects require reduce motion to be off. I like the OS better without the springy windows.

f@luS

More than a member.
Going crazy as if i search on google "3D map ios 10" the 3d part only give result for 3D touch

is it me on 3d view disappeared in IOS10 maps? everything is flat now

emag

So I cant group notifications per app anymore? Seriously?

Notifications are just a terrible downgrade overall: can't be grouped, can't be acted upon directly (e.g., now you must open a pop-up to delete email), take up a huge amount of space, can't be down->up swiped away to dismiss.

Notifications are just a terrible downgrade overall: can't be grouped, can't be acted upon directly (e.g., now you must open a pop-up to delete email), take up a huge amount of space, can't be down->up swiped away to dismiss.
Agreed, plus they look plain ugly, I really want Nougat style notifications.

I don't even know how people without 3D touch interact with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom