• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

Doesn't work with Lightroom unfortunately. It seems like it converts the photo to JPEG before saving it to the camera roll, even when I choose "Maximum Quality".
Weird. DNG should be universal. But I guess it makes sense that Lightroom needs the new camera profiles.

Hmm... I must be in the minority. I've almost always hit the Home button to wake up my iPhone going all the way back to the first gen model. Then I'd swipe to unlock. But with my 6s I would still hit the home button, and the Touch ID reader was so fast that it simply unlocked the phone for me, and I didn't ever get a chance to look at the screen. I tried training myself to hit the power button to wake the device instead, but didn't get accustomed to it. Now, I simply pick up my phone and can read notifications. When I want to unlock, it essentially works exactly the same for me as it did before.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The big fat fonts all over the place are very weird to me. Especially in the music app, just a lot of waste.

And speaking of wasted space, the new control center is really not seeming like a step forward to me. Why does that night vision thing get such a large spot, and why do I have to swipe back and forth because all the things I use aren't on the same page? Something's really off about CC to me.

-griffy-

Banned
Unfortunately I haven't found a way to transfer the DNGs from Lightroom to my MacBook. Everything I try converts it to JPG first.

I don't know if this makes sense, but if you add the DNG on the phone to a synced collection in Lightroom, it should sync the Smart Preview to the cloud, right? And then allow you to access that Smart Preview on the desktop app with all the editing latitude of a RAW photo, and then from there you could export to whatever formats you need? Or does that only work going from desktop to mobile and not the other way around?

ced

I'm having what I hope is a bug and not hardware, 6S+, started a couple days after a clean install of the 10 GM.

All the sudden my headphones quit working on phone calls, so does the regular phone audio. Speaker phone works fine, actually if I speaker then disable it will fix the phone audio but not fix using headphones. Reboot fixes it all.

gruenel

I don't know if this makes sense, but if you add the DNG on the phone to a synced collection in Lightroom, it should sync the Smart Preview to the cloud, right? And then allow you to access that Smart Preview on the desktop app with all the editing latitude of a RAW photo, and then from there you could export to whatever formats you need? Or does that only work going from desktop to mobile and not the other way around?

I just found out (using the 30-day trial) that when syncing the photos to Adobe's cloud I actually get the DNG files on my MacBook.

Just not when saving to the camera roll.

Too bad since I only have Lightroom 5 and really don't want to sign up to the monthly plan for CC. But I guess most camera apps will have RAW support within a few days/weeks anyway.

RAW images are about 12-15MB from what I've tried, BTW.

jelly

Unfortunately, you will have to get used to it. I have mine set where tilting it wakes the phone, and I just rest my finger on the TouchID to unlock.

Sure I glanced over someone saying you can revert it back to swipe in the accessibility options?

Can't confirm if true, haven't upgraded yet.

X-Frame

How can I fill in all the pictures in my Artist view for Music?

Only about half of my Artists have a picture and the rest a stock microphone picture.

Jeffrey

Music, yes.

Match, not Android. PC, yes through iTunes (I know, I know, I know...)

My question is what are you using iOS but you are still using an android phone? Just ipad?

I regularly switch between ios and android phones for work. Got an iPad pro and an old nexus 7 too.

robotrock

Banned
mewtwoioqce.png

Did they bump the charging rate?
My phone was flat this morning and I plugged it into the MacBook an hour or less later it was full.
If I remember , before iOS 10, I would have only got 60% out of a similar scenario.
Maybe it's just some suspicion that everything is different after an update and not real.

Tain

Used Maps to get to a friend's new place today and the view refused to follow my car. I have no idea what that was about but it sucked.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Love, love iOS 10 but damn did they leave some glaring bugs. Most annoyingly

- Autocorrect keeps on auto correcting, even when it's off (iPad)
- Badges for notifications don't go away always when I check the notification. Same problem for some messages

giga

RAW capture is totally worth it if you want to recover highlights. Just did a quick sky shot with the 6S while exposing for backlit buildings. Shot RAW+JPEG with Manual. Even though both shots were blown out, the JPEG was much more so. The RAW was much more useable and recovered far more data. All I did in Lightroom is pushed the highlights slider to the left (in basic and tone curve). Very impressed.

RAW

1.png

JPEG

2.png

iMore corroborates: http://www.imore.com/how-raw-changes-iphone-photography-better

entremet

RAW capture is totally worth it if you want to recover highlights. Just did a quick sky shot with the 6S while exposing for backlit buildings. Shot RAW+JPEG with Manual. Even though both shots were blown out, the JPEG was much more so. Even then, the RAW was much more useable and recovered far more data. Only adjustment made in Lightroom is the highlights slider (in basic and tone curve). Very impressed.

RAW

1.png

JPEG

2.png

iMore corroborates: http://www.imore.com/how-raw-changes-iphone-photography-better
How do you enable RAW?

KtSlime

Apple still doesn't have transportation info for Tokyo, which they promised and advertise. And I noticed they changed the mail app in a really silly way, to go down on the list when viewing a mail you have to press left.

So far it's a stable release and hasn't broken many of my apps, but some of the design decisions are baffling.

gruenel

RAW capture is totally worth it if you want to recover highlights. Just did a quick sky shot with the 6S while exposing for backlit buildings. Shot RAW+JPEG with Manual. Even though both shots were blown out, the JPEG was much more so. The RAW was much more useable and recovered far more data. All I did in Lightroom is pushed the highlights slider to the left (in basic and tone curve). Very impressed.

RAW

1.png

JPEG

2.png

Amazing. Just what I expected.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
raise to wake only works on iphone 6s and up? fuck this fuckingiownfoiuearnhtgyuioe35jhyg908354w7yujw534apy7i

Air

Banned
I got to say. I love the update way more than I thought i would. The messages app went from serviceable to amazing. I've been playing games with my bro since it came out and its the perfect time killer. Everything else is cool.

giga

Amazing. Just what I expected.
It's kind of weird that they didn't enable raw support in not just the default camera app, but also the photos app. If you look at your dng photos in photos (iOS), they look the same as your jpegs. It's likely just reading the jpeg previews in the dng. They work in photos for mac though.

gruenel

It's kind of weird that they didn't enable raw support in not just the default camera app, but also the photos app. If you look at your dng photos in photos (iOS), they look the same as your jpegs. It's likely just reading the jpeg previews in the dng. They work in photos for mac though.

I guess they don't want us to see the undeveloped images in the photos app...

Honestly I don't care, all that matters is that I can finally do better editing in Lightroom ;)

How big are RAW photos usually?

12-15 MB

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
For people using iPhone 5, does anyone else have some really graphical glitches or framerate issues on Pokemon Go? Seems like iOS10 makes the game run like crap, so I'll be return to 9.3.5 for now.

Teppic

The only feature I really want is to be able to lock the screen in landscape mode. But Apple never want to add this for some odd reason. You can do it on an iPad but not for phones. There's been so many times when I watch a video and the screen jumps back and forth only because I moved the phone a little bit.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The only feature I really want is to be able to lock the screen in landscape mode. But Apple never want to add this for some odd reason. You can do it on an iPad but not for phones. There's been so many times when I watch a video and the screen jumps back and forth only because I moved the phone a little bit.

What app do you use that doesn't automatically go full landscape screen when you maximize a video?

Glad to finally be able to get rid of the unnecessary apps and free up some space, but this change to unlocking my phone is going to fuck with me forever.

On the plus side, I'll be having fun messing with people by using emotes in texts for like a week or so.

icespide

Banned
Glad to finally be able to get rid of the unnecessary apps and free up some space, but this change to unlocking my phone is going to fuck with me forever.

On the plus side, I'll be having fun messing with people by using emotes in texts for like a week or so.

just FYI deleting the apple stock apps don't actually free up any space, the apps are hidden not deleted

mrkgoo

The default apps don't actually delete. They just hide.

But it will clear some of the app data.

I'm still fighting my muscle memory to slide to unlock. I'll get there I'm sure.

It's interesting the whole point to slide to unlock was to prevent unwanted activation in the pocket.

But now with slide to unlock removed a double press of home will unlock. As will a single press and possibly swiping one notification.

ZeroX03

Banned
So many people breaking swiping habits. How do you still have them? I've been pressing just the home button to unlock and that's all since the 5S. I've met people who thought you have to press the power button then swipe then Touch ID to unlock...

SuperPac

It's interesting the whole point to slide to unlock was to prevent unwanted activation in the pocket.

But now with slide to unlock removed a double press of home will unlock. As will a single press and possibly swiping one notification.

Do you think you'll do any of those things accidentally in your pocket? For the 3 or so months I've had the beta installed my phone I've not had one accidental unlock. Besides you have to authenticate Touch ID for it to unlock all the way.

robotrock

Banned
Is there an iMessage "#images" search add-on that shows inappropriate gifs?

Yeah the giphy one has a couple of cuss words I think, I haven't sent one to my mom yet because I'm pretty sure she'll ground me but I downloaded just in case she really pisses me of one day

Hm, I just noticed that the English keyboard is now suggesting foreign language words in the auto-complete bar. In previous versions of iOS, if you tried to type a Spanish word for example, it would always complain or correct it to some English word. Now it often tries to complete it for you. I wonder if this is related to the new machine learning in 10?

gruenel

Hm, I just noticed that the English keyboard is now suggesting foreign language words in the auto-complete bar. In previous versions of iOS, if you tried to type a Spanish word for example, it would always complain or correct it to some English word. Now it often tries to complete it for you. I wonder if this is related to the new machine learning in 10?

It is, I think they showed this at WWDC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom