• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else use third party music players? Because the one I use, Marvis, is much better than the stock app.

It has a lot of gestures that makes finding your music way easier.

The main music view.

yta9g7x.jpeg

Swipe to the left for the queue, which you can edit and reorder obviously.

Swipe the the right to see all the other songs from that album
Or every album from that particular artist.
It has a night view as well.
It reminds me of how easy the app was to use back on iOS 8. Being able to do so many things in a small amount of clicks means I can never go back.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It's been a massive improvement to my 5. It no longer freezes and crashes. It's smooth and fast. It's like getting a new phone.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
5s.

borghe, I hope so. I do think this is my first major update.

ha, it's why I held off on being a douche. I have to tell myself people may be new to iphone.

Yes, every major update (8->9, 9->10, etc) battery life sucks for the first day as your phone gets everything back in order, indexed, etc.. Then battery life goes back to normal by the second day.

Jeffrey

Anyone else not use Music in years?

Ive just been uploading my stuff to google music, not the best bitrate but its easy to sync between multiple devices and I can play on my pc.

I think my only song on music is still that U2 malware apple forced on everyone.

indask8

Great update overall, smoother on all my devices.

I just don't like the removal of slide to unlock, rest finger is only available on touch Id devices obviously, that's one extra step to unlock the device now on older devices (and unlocking with a dead home button isn't possible anymore).

I hope IOS 10.1 will bring it back (choose either widget on home screen or slide to unlock would be a possibility, or a slide to unlock widget).

borghe

Ive just been uploading my stuff to google music, not the best bitrate but its easy to sync between multiple devices and I can play on my pc.
but... I've been doing the same thing with Music, for years. iTunes Match at $25 for the year since like 2011, and now Apple Music.. Google Music doesn't provide any benefit with what you just mentioned. ??

derExperte

5s.

borghe, I hope so. I do think this is my first major update.

Don't get your hopes up, this isn't my first update and while some (actually every major iOS release to some extent) had battery issues that were later fixed it was never like this, my phone isn't doing anything anymore but it's still draining way too fast. Also more and more threads about this are popping up on other forums, I'll do a complete reset soon but it looks like there's a bug somewhere.

BeeDog

Is there any way to force a reinstall of iOS without losing any of the data? My GM installation seems to be acting up since I get random black screen "reboots" all of a sudden, i.e. the screen goes black and the spinning loading animation shows. Strangely enough it doesn't seem to be isolated to any specific app, which worries me.

icespide

Banned
Anyone else not use Music in years?

I think my only song on music is still that U2 malware apple forced on everyone.

I'm all spotify now. I haven't used the music app since 2010

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
You were right. The actual alarm sound is much louder, and it did wake me up. I'm not used to ambient music like that, it kind of invaded my dream, but maybe I'll get used to it.

More interestingly, it seems that it is able to track your sleep to some degree, perhaps using the phone's accelerometer. If you click on the chart in Bedtime, it'll take you to the Sleep area of the Health app. in there you can see the raw data, and on mine it showed about when I actually put down the phone in bed, which was a fair bit later than what the Bedtime start time was set for.
Yeah from what I've been able to deduce during the beta, it tracks sleep by when the phone is stationary lying down. It even detects if you happen to pick up the phone during the night to check the time or whatever, which will be indicated on the timeline as a small break.

I was hesitant to just use Bedtime to wake me up for work but I've done just that for the last few weeks now without incident, with the addition that I no longer wake up with a jolt from a sudden alarm sound. So I say that's a win.

but... I've been doing the same thing with Music, for years. iTunes Match at $25 for the year since like 2011, and now Apple Music.. Google Music doesn't provide any benefit with what you just mentioned. ??
Minus the fact it doesn't cost $25 a year to do upload music you already own and sync it across devices.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I really hate having to click the home button to unlock the phone from the lock screen(while the screen is on). Seems so counter intuitive compared to just touching the home button to unlock.

Filth

I really hate having to click the home button to unlock the phone from the lock screen(while the screen is on). Seems so counter intuitive compared to just touching the home button to unlock.

General > accessibility > home button > rest finger

SuperPac

You can still do that if you wake the phone by pressing the home button and leaving your finger on the touch ID sensor.

But you can also change it in General -> Accessbility -> Home Button -> Rest Finger to Open.

borghe

on a 6s with Lift to Wake enabled?

The reasoning is because you can interact with widgets and notifications from the lock screen.

People are still intent on "to do things on my phone, I have to start at the home screen". Apple is pushing here "you can do things on your phone without first going to the home screen"

it is different than how we've used smartphones since.. well, the original iphone.. but as you begin to setup your widgets, and as apps start providing smarter/richer notifications, actually going INTO your phone or into the apps will become less necessary.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
General > accessibility > home button > rest finger

You can still do that if you wake the phone by pressing the home button and leaving your finger on the touch ID sensor.

But you can also change it in General -> Accessbility -> Home Button -> Rest Finger to Open.

Knew about still being able to do that if I wake the phone and keep touching the button, but didn't know about the setting I can change. Thanks!

SuperPac

on a 6s with Lift to Wake enabled?

The reasoning is because you can interact with widgets and notifications from the lock screen.

People are still intent on "to do things on my phone, I have to start at the home screen". Apple is pushing here "you can do things on your phone without first going to the home screen"

it is different than how we've used smartphones since.. well, the original iphone.. but as you begin to setup your widgets, and as apps start providing smarter/richer notifications, actually going INTO your phone or into the apps will become less necessary.

Yeah with the initial iOS 10 betas I turned it off until I read more about the feature and what they were trying to get at. It took the benefits being described on some podcast for me to switch back. Now I kinda like it because I can shortcut to things I use most often from either widgets or notifications.

Has anybody else had the Genius iMessage app just completely not work? It just shows the icon, but it won't launch for me.

Also: what have you guys found to be the best weather widget for iOS 10? The app I use now, Dark Sky, for some reason only shows the weather for the next hour, but I really want to be able to see in a pinch if it will rain at all during the day.

For the Dark Sky widget you can tap on show more and you'll get the daily forecast for the week. Show Less just shows next hour. The stock Weather app has a widget that shows current temps and today's forecast. Show More will lost next 5 hours.

epmode

It's been a massive improvement to my 5. It no longer freezes and crashes. It's smooth and fast. It's like getting a new phone.

Yeah, 10 actually performs better on my iPhone 5 than 9 ever did. Opening and closing apps is snappier. Even the animation is smooth. GOOD JOB, APPLE

How do I remove the list of words above the keyboard? Previously I'd swipe down to minimize it but that doesn't appear to work anymore. Only turning predictive text off completely in settings removes it. But I want spell correction, just without the words.

empyrean

Anyone else noticed that mail is a lot smarter now? I have a folder called "purchases" and I usually move all purchase emails into that folder. Just went to move two emails into the folder, clicked edit, highlighted both emails and clicked move, it then auto suggested I move them to the "purchases" folder. Tried it on another non purchase type email to make sure it wasn't just suggesting last folder I moved to and it didn't offer the suggestion.

How do I remove the list of words above the keyboard? Previously I'd swipe down to minimize it but that doesn't appear to work anymore. Only turning predictive text off completely in settings removes it. But I want spell correction, just without the words.

hold the globe/emoji icon and there is a toggle as the top option for Predictive text. Maybe people were accidentally swiping and turning it on and off, so they just took it out.

samn

might be a weird complaint but it feels like apps close too quickly now. it's unsettling

I wish they closed more quickly. when you close an app that's in the process of opening it's super quick, but when in-app it closes just as slow as before so it can wait and see if you're app switching. I'd rather not have the delay

Does anyone else use third party music players? Because the one I use, Marvis, is much better than the stock app.

It has a lot of gestures that makes finding your music way easier.

The main music view.

Swipe to the left for the queue, which you can edit and reorder obviously.

Swipe the the right to see all the other songs from that album
Or every album from that particular artist.

It has a night view as well.

It reminds me of how easy the app was to use back on iOS 8. Being able to do so many things in a small amount of clicks means I can never go back.

That looks pretty cool actually. I use the Music app and kind of like it now, but I also have Cesium when I just want to listen to my own library.

borghe

Yeah with the initial iOS 10 betas I turned it off until I read more about the feature and what they were trying to get at. It took the benefits being described on some podcast for me to switch back. Now I kinda like it because I can shortcut to things I use most often from either widgets or notifications.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/14/ios-10-home-button-alternative-no-clicking/

article tells how to change it back (which is what's already been said in here), however most interesting is at the bottom

Raise to Wake and the new unlocking system are arguably an improvement over the previous iOS 9 unlocking methods, so users may want to try to get used to the new system instead of making the change. With Raise to Wake and the press to unlock feature, you can see all of your notifications without accidentally bypassing them, which is convenient.

This is exactly how I feel. I understand people being all "nnngggggg diffffferentt....nnggg." but, at least on 6s and higher, if they actually look at why Apple did it and the new expected usage, the new "press home to open" makes sense.

If you look at the top of the screen, it tells you the current status of your lock screen. Locked or unlocked. Again your LOCK SCREEN. So when you raise the phone (6s or 7) and touch the button, your lock screen is now unlocked. From here you can do widgets, access your photos, respond to rich notifications, etc. In many many cases there's no reason to go into your home screen, or into the application. More and more applications I can accomplish what I need to just by opening/using the notification.

Now the only reason to go into the phone is
a) you want to do something that didn't spawn a notification and
b) doesn't exist on your widget screen in a way that you can do it from there

both a and b are slowly becoming less common.

anywho, I know I'm mostly spitting into the wind here because "nnngggggg channgggggweeeeee...".. but still... after spending all summer like this, I can't imagine going back to my phone jumping to the home screen when I just rest my thumb on the home button. talk about inconvenient. especially when I can do what I want just by interacting with the notification.

Jeffrey

i'm not paying $25 a year to upload my stuff to google music though. Does itunes match work on my android phone or my windows pc? I honestly don't know.

i'm not paying $25 a year to upload my stuff to google music though. Does itunes match work on my android phone or my windows pc? I honestly don't know.

$25 lets you match/upload music (and download DRM-free 256kbps AAC iles) up to 100,000 files. Without it, you can still upload/match music but the cloud version will be DRM protected.

And yes, iTunes match (which uses iTunes) does show up on your Android phone and Windows PC (I use iTunes on a PC)

borghe

Music, yes.

Match, not Android. PC, yes through iTunes (I know, I know, I know...)

My question is what are you using iOS but you are still using an android phone? Just ipad?

And yes, iTunes match (which uses iTunes) does show up on your Android phone and Windows PC (I use iTunes on a PC)

iTunes Match shows up on the Android Apple Music app without a Music sub? If so, that's an awesome deal.

Like he's saying, $25/year for 100,000 songs, fingerprint matched, upgraded (if needed) to 256Kbps.

Music, yes.

Match, not Android. PC, yes through iTunes (I know, I know, I know...)

My question is what are you using iOS but you are still using an android phone? Just ipad?

iTunes Match shows up on the Android Apple Music app without a Music sub? If so, that's an awesome deal.

Like he's saying, $25/year for 100,000 songs, fingerprint matched, upgraded (if needed) to 256Kbps.

I'm mistaken. I think you need the Apple Music sub for Android to see the music (in which case, iTunes Match doesn't matter unless you want to redownload music)

I have both just because I like redownloading stuff from time to time.

borghe

Press Home to unlock my phone is gonna take some getting used to...

I have been going on about it in this thread. HOWEVER, it is a little annoying on my iPad Air.. AND I can see it being a little annoying on a 6 or lower. But on a 6s or higher, I would never go back to the way it was before. It is objectively better now on those devices when used with Raise to Wake.

Glix

Holy shit did not realize how badly removing swipe to unlock was gonna fuck with me.

Can I turn it back on somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom