• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thaedolus

Any other ways to fix not receiving messenger effects? I can send and receive just fine but my girl can't receive. The motion setting didn't affect anything, it was already off

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Hm, I just noticed that the English keyboard is now suggesting foreign language words in the auto-complete bar. In previous versions of iOS, if you tried to type a Spanish word for example, it would always complain or correct it to some English word. Now it often tries to complete it for you. I wonder if this is related to the new machine learning in 10?
It is, but it doesn't support all language combinations yet.

Mistake

Gold Member
I downgraded my 6S. As a casual user this is what I took from it

Pros
-Faster performance, such as moving between apps, deleting or highlighting words
-Raise to wake
-"Look up" provides different language translations and other info
-Siri works better and doesn't get in the way. iOS 8 I had it on the lockscreen, but iOS 9 I took it off because it would turn on when trying to open the phone.
-Camera is easier to access on the lockscreen

Cons
-Keyboard is extremely annoying. When using symbols like apostrophe or comma, it no longer goes back to letters.
-Keyboard and lock sounds changed. I can barely hear lock when turned all the way up.
-Music app is a complete disaster with how ugly it is. Has five buttons on the bottom, gigantic fonts and images which causes more scrolling, and also lots of white space with smaller album artwork when playing a song.
-Using "look up" is also a lot more ugly than "define"
-Control Center and Notification Center both have two separate swipe screens
-Music controls were moved to the second screen of Control Center

I don't see why they felt the need to mess with music so much. It's almost as if they forgot what got them in the mobile business in the first place with this update. There is also a force fed pop up for apple music when occasionally opening the app.

I still think the dumbest thing about the new music app is that 3/5 tabs are for Apple Music only. If you don't use it, everything is crammed into one tab. It's bad.

rekameohs

Banned
The two panel Control Center is so stupid. I'm really thankful that AirPlay and Night Shift take up so much real estate on the panel!

I can't really agree with the negative opinions of the new Music app. I think overall it's a great improvement over iOS 9.

+ Everything is much more readable, with more contextual actions.
+ Easier to navigate, eschewing tiny text buttons for actual buttons or at least bigger text.
+ The additions of 3D Touch actions all over is really helpful.
+ I like that the Now Playing fullscreen mode scrolls down to show what's coming up.
+ So far I'm fairly impressed with the personalized Apple Music playlists in For You.
+ I also like the Heavy Rotation section in For You which links to albums I've been listening to lately.
+ The Radio tab makes it much easier to find and listen to archived Beats 1 shows.
+ Search feels pretty good. Decently organized. I like that they're including videos...are these being pulled from YouTube?

Of course it still has problems, but that's mainly to do with the Apple Music service itself.

- It still looks like a non-native app, as the pages stutter when they scroll (on a 6s).
- There's no longer a back button in the now playing overlay.
- It's very very white (give me a dark mode).
- Browse is pretty useless to me because it mainly features pop music acts.
- There's still no way to bookmark songs or albums to listen to later, nor can you easily pull up a list of favorited tracks.
- I guess I'm one of the few people who saw potential in Connect, but now instead of fixing the issues it has they've shoved it at the bottom of For You and it's still just as random and just bad, unengaging UX. I really miss the golden era of last.fm; I actually met some cool people who were into similar bands that way. Connect doesn't connect me with other listeners, and doesn't really connect with me the bands, either.
- Search is okay, but they still aren't syncing search histories between Mac and iOS, which is annoying.
- Many of the Apple Music features are still gated behind a requirement to use iCloud Music Library. I will never, ever turn this on after all the horror stories. I have spent years collecting and organizing my iTunes library, and have music which is not in Apple Music. I'm not going to risk fucking that up.

It is, but it doesn't support all language combinations yet.

Yeah, in my limited testing it looks like only Spanish and Portuguese are supported right now.

gamma

Hm, I just noticed that the English keyboard is now suggesting foreign language words in the auto-complete bar. In previous versions of iOS, if you tried to type a Spanish word for example, it would always complain or correct it to some English word. Now it often tries to complete it for you. I wonder if this is related to the new machine learning in 10?

iOS 10 has multi-language keyboard, not sure if it has anything to do with machine learning.

ZeroX03

Banned
Need Siri, so stock music app is it for me. But coming from the company that made the iPod, it really sucks. Can't believe they made it even worse. Can't use Apple Music either because that fucks with Siri and she always searches it first.

Jonogunn

Need Siri, so stock music app is it for me. But coming from the company that made the iPod, it really sucks. Can't believe they made it even worse. Can't use Apple Music either because that fucks with Siri and she always searches it first.

But didn't they open Siri API to 3rd party apps including music apps?

But didn't they open Siri API to 3rd party apps including music apps?

It's only open to these 6 types of apps:

"For iOS 10.0, the Siri API will only work with six kinds of application: ride booking (think Uber), messaging, Photo Search (find photos and videos in a particular app), payments (‘Send $100 to John with SquareCash’), VoIP Calling (e.g: Skype) and Workouts (for starting health and fitness activities)".

Can you not toggle the predictive text in messaging by swiping it up//down anymore?

Looks like it, can still disable in settings but not from the keyboard from what I can tell.

Hold down the globe icon next to the keyboard. Tap the green switch to shut it off.

Maybe it's me but my battery life seems to have taken a big hit. iPhone 6s

Give it a couple days. New updates kill batteries because of all the indexing going on in the background of all of music, apps, photos, videos, etc.

Jeffrey

still bummed that 3d touch is still kinda... pointless. i don't get why they can't just have those 'popups' like some android launchers do it with just sliding your finger up on an app icon.

where are y'all finding the most use for 3d touch?

clear notifications is nice, but thats about it for me lol.

still bummed that 3d touch is still kinda... pointless. i don't get why they can't just have those 'popups' like some android launchers do it with just sliding your finger up on an app icon.

3D Touch best feature is scrolling the cursor between letters.

Holy shit did not realize how badly removing swipe to unlock was gonna fuck with me.

Can I turn it back on somewhere?

Same. I keep doing it every time I try to unlock. I want it back.

Also the music app is way worse now, but at least there's third party for that.

I use an app to pay for bus fare and iOS 10 broke it. Not the end of the world but I just paid $120 for a month pass a couple weeks ago, is there any way to revert to iOS 9 until they update their app?

Does anyone else use third party music players? Because the one I use, Marvis, is much better than the stock app.

It has a lot of gestures that makes finding your music way easier.

The main music view.

Swipe to the left for the queue, which you can edit and reorder obviously.

Swipe the the right to see all the other songs from that album
Or every album from that particular artist.

It has a night view as well.

It reminds me of how easy the app was to use back on iOS 8. Being able to do so many things in a small amount of clicks means I can never go back.
Yay, I get ratings back and the play counts track in iTunes. Thanks.

Ratros

I use an app to pay for bus fare and iOS 10 broke it. Not the end of the world but I just paid $120 for a month pass a couple weeks ago, is there any way to revert to iOS 9 until they update their app?

You may, actually. Apple has not closed the firmware verification channel for iOS 9.3.5 yet, so you could still downgrade to that version.

Download the firmware for your device first (it is available on many sites), then use iTunes to restore this firmware. More specifically, connect your device to computer, open iTunes, shift-click the restore button and choose the firmware you just downloaded in the new window opened.

Note that all the information on your device will be erased. Data not compatible with iOS 9 cannot be used either, even if it is backed up in iCloud or your local backup.

feel

I hate the new notifications, the grey blob popups blend into the bright apps and it looks messy and hard to read. Why did they change those? They looked so nice before. Bah. 😞

Is anyone using iCloud Keychain? I've held off for a long time out of fear that all of my Mac passwords will disappear, but I'm tired of typing in web passwords on my iPhone.

3D Touch is much more than just the app icons. It's all over the place in iOS 10 apps. Try 3D touching on a photo in Photos, or a song in Music, or a location in Maps, a contact in Contacts. The biggest problem is that Apple has no way of signaling something is 3D touchable to users. So you just have to press around and see what pops up.

Is anyone using iCloud Keychain? I've held off for a long time out of fear that all of my Mac passwords will disappear, but I'm tired of typing in web passwords on my iPhone.
Keychain is a dream, you set it up with a text verification code, and then you can tap in any field and autofill every password for sites you've saved on your mac.

Yay, I get ratings back and the play counts track in iTunes. Thanks.
No problem, they should have stopped messing with the music app at 8.3.

ZeroX03

Banned
Its the best way. When I unlock I usually hit the lock button, then swipe and enter the password. I don't use the home button.

That only makes sense if you don't have Touch ID.

If you do have Touch ID, press the home button and voila that's it, you're unlocked.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I still think the dumbest thing about the new music app is that 3/5 tabs are for Apple Music only. If you don't use it, everything is crammed into one tab. It's bad.
Disable Apple Music in Settings and it'll leave you with just Library, Radio and Search.

Now if only there was a way to disable Radio too.

So my girlfriend's 6 just went dead this morning (she upgraded to iOS 10 in the evening yesterday). It had been fully charged just prior to blacking out and now there's no way to turn the thing on. Tried several potential fixes but nothing is working. Anyone have any clues as to what we can do? Has anyone seen this happen to another person post-upgrade?

Next appointment she can go to isn't till Monday =/

IceCold

New iMessage is pretty cool. Love the lyft/uber integration in apple maps. The prices are more accurate than on google maps. I hate the knew notifications, and dislike the changes to the photos and music apps. Not a fan of the huge night shift button either. I never disable it...

Swipe to unlock being gone is not an issue for me. touch id is so fast now that just by pressing the button I'm on the homepage

That only makes sense if you don't have Touch ID.

If you do have Touch ID, press the home button and voila that's it, you're unlocked.

This is on an ipod touch, so it doesn't have touch ID. Though on an iphone you're right, it is easier.

I'll probably just put it back on ios9 since it is just my ipod and not my phone.

Jeffrey

3D Touch is much more than just the app icons. It's all over the place in iOS 10 apps. Try 3D touching on a photo in Photos, or a song in Music, or a location in Maps, a contact in Contacts. The biggest problem is that Apple has no way of signaling something is 3D touchable to users. So you just have to press around and see what pops up.

yeah, 3d touch is 'around', but ive not seen how its make my life better? like 'peek' and 'pop' is often slower than just opening the webpage or image and swiping back to close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom