• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skunkers

Any other ways to fix not receiving messenger effects? I can send and receive just fine but my girl can't receive. The motion setting didn't affect anything, it was already off

Go into Settings>Messeges and turn off iMessage and then turn it back on. That did it for two phones in my household.

yeah, 3d touch is 'around', but ive not seen how its make my life better? like 'peek' and 'pop' is often slower than just opening the webpage or image and swiping back to close.

Mostly 3D Touch is a physical hamburger menu that's contextual to whatever you're touching. For instance if you 3D touch a song you can add it to a playlist, remove it from your local library, or like it all from one gesture. It's fast and saves space in the UI.

But shit brother, make your life better? I don't know, I just find the taptic thump kind of soothing.

ZeroX03

Banned
3D Touch is very useful, but still relegated to non-essential functions as long as not every recent iOS device has it.

Messages games are weird. But I think kind of good? Much easier than playing async games in a separate app.

Also noticed that some apps like Mail seem to be snappier. My 6S seems faster overall, Air 2 is a little hit and miss with some things being slower and others faster.

The music app is fucking trash now. I might have to revert to iOS 9, never update iTunes, and bail to Android at the soonest chance. I have 11 years of scrobbling, playlist making and song rating that they're trying to undo in the name of Apple Music.

The music app is fucking trash now. I might have to revert to iOS 9, never update iTunes, and bail to Android at the soonest chance. I have 11 years of scrobbling, playlist making and song rating that they're trying to undo in the name of Apple Music.
I don't know about scrobbling but for song ratings I feel the need to pimp Marvis & Cesium again.

Future

I don't know about scrobbling but for song ratings I feel the need to pimp Marvis & Cesium again.

Can you actually edit song ratings in those apps?

I found I can rate songs still in ios10 by using Siri to do it. Still a fucking pain though. Literally replaced star ratings on album cover art press with........ nothing. Literally nothing would have been lost by keeping it there besides users that have been using the feature for 10 years since iPod. Absurd change

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, how the fuck do I get rid of the "Predictive Words" field above the key board in the text message app (or any text entering app)? You used to be able to just swipe it down to hide it, but it doesn't seem like you can do that anymore.

Also, I'd rather have the swipe to unlock back. Every damn time I go to unlock my phone I keep swiping and pulling the dumb side bar stuff to the main screen, ggrrrrrr.

Ok, how the fuck do I get rid of the "Predictive Words" field above the key board in the text message app (or any text entering app)? You used to be able to just swipe it down to hide it, but it doesn't seem like you can do that anymore.

Also, I'd rather have the swipe to unlock back. Every damn time I go to unlock my phone I keep swiping and pulling the dumb side bar stuff to the main screen, ggrrrrrr.

Hold down on the globe and you can toggle it off

Are the people having trouble with the lack of swipe to unlock on non-touchID phones?

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Hold down on the globe and you can toggle it off

Are the people having trouble with the lack of swipe to unlock on non-touchID phones?
What globe? I have a 6, but I don't use a passcode or touch ID.

EDIT - Figured it out. You have to go to Settings -> General -> Keyboards -> Then turn off "Predictive"

Roo

Just updated my 5S like an hour ago and I have to say the changes (so far) have been very subtle as far as my phone's capabilities is concerned.
Obviously the good stuff is for 6/S and up phones.

Two things that I noticed right away and didn't like that much... the gigantic, bold font and album covers in the Music App. What the hell? My poor 4" screen can't handle this lol
It's a shame the "personalized" background colors for every album/cover is gone. White for all simply sucks big time.

The keyboard and lock phone sounds... Oh my God. Terrible. Just terrible.

I'm also not a fan of Music being moved to the second screen in the Control Center. Not really a deal breaker but will take some time to get used to it.

Oh well, I'm upgrading later this year anyway but just wanted to share my two cents on the update lol

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
The globe on the keyboard...
There is no globe on the keyboard anymore...
BQvn7aM.jpg

mrkgoo

I was not a fan of the previous music player, so I welcome the change. Time will tell if I will like this one.

I don't mind the second control centre pane. When I'm playing with my phone (like listening to music) I love tactile little things to just swipe back and forth with just to keep my fingers busy.

Loss of custom album colours is a shame.

and personally I love the keyboard sounds. I probably prefer the old lock sound though.

Big Brett

24 and change hours later, I'm loving the update on my 6 Plus. Everything is much faster, most noticeably just switching between home screens feels buttery smooth since the update. iMessage is goofy, but I like it, and it still functions as intended.

Notifications are beautiful, and while I missed being able to hold my finger to unlock (as opposed to pressing), I'm finding myself actually using the lock screens new features. In iOS9, I rarely ever looked at my lock screen unless my phone was sitting on my desk and I happened to get a notification, due to the fact that the fingerprint scanner works so damn well.

I'm back on Apple Music now. It's pretty elegant, but I can understand the gripes people have on smaller devices. I do wish the font could be a bit smaller.

Before iOS10 I was planning on switching to Android, but as Apple moves further in the direction of their distant cousin, I don't see myself leaving anytime soon. I'm certainly not an Apple loyalist by any means, but you can't deny they make some beautiful ass technology, regardless of your opinion of their ecosystem and business model.

Still pretty salty that the iPhone 7 rids of the headphone jack, but I guess I'll keep an eye out for a nice pair of bluetooth headphones.

mrkgoo

Boy predictive is being a real stickler. It used to stop correcting you after two tries, now it'll just correct you until you override it.

Why did you blur out a bunch of stuff instead of just cropping?

Or just say, there's no globe on my keyboard.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
There is no globe on the keyboard anymore...

Go to the keyboards settings and add the missing keyboard language. The globe only shows when you have multiple language keyboards enabled. Yours must be English only atm.

Ashhong

What happens if you 3D touch a song? Does it just bring up options like love and add? That already shows when you just long hold for non-3D touch users.

Also some of these Message affects are so pointless. I dont mean the slam and loud, I'm talking about the drawing ones. What is the point of drawing a fireball???????????

Is it just me or has music lost the ability to add tracks to upcoming and reorder them freely?

Can anyone confirm these teo or have they just moved somehow and I'm just blind?

Edit: you can add a track to play best via 3D Touch, but I still can't see a way to add to up next like before", and can't see how to reorder upcoming tracks

spats

Maybe it's me but my battery life seems to have taken a big hit. iPhone 6s

Me too (brand new SE, less than two weeks old). Sent Apple support a tweet about it and they just replied with a link on how to optimize battery life by turning off features and general usability tips.

I'm hoping this'll fix it self via an update some time soon. I absolutely love the phone, but the battery really went to shit after 9.

Is it just me or has music lost the ability to add tracks to upcoming and reorder them freely?

Can anyone confirm these teo or have they just moved somehow and I'm just blind?

Edit: you can add a track to play best via 3D Touch, but I still can't see a way to add to up next like before", and can't see how to reorder upcoming tracks

You won't be able to reorder them unless you have repeat turned off. If you can't find WHERE to reorder them scroll down on the now playing card

Everyone complaining about battery life needs to chill out. This happens after every major update, give it a couple days

Miyahon

Me too (brand new SE, less than two weeks old). Sent Apple support a tweet about it and they just replied with a link on how to optimize battery life by turning off features and general usability tips.

I'm hoping this'll fix it self via an update some time soon. I absolutely love the phone, but the battery really went to shit after 9.

I'm on an SE and battery life is the same as it always was. Upgraded from a 5S a few months ago. Usually with iOS upgrades there is stuff going on in the background that can affect battery life such as indexing. Might have to give it some time and see if it improves. If not check to see in Settings > Battery what is causing the battery drain. Other things you could try is to power off the device and turn it back on. Reset All Settings and possibly need to do a complete restore if the upgrade messed up for some reason. Make sure you have a backup before restoring the device using iTunes.

spats

I'm on an SE and battery life is the same as it always was. Upgraded from a 5S a few months ago. Usually with iOS upgrades there is stuff going on in the background that can affect battery life such as indexing. Might have to give it some time and see if it improves. If not check to see in Settings > Battery what is causing the battery drain. Other things you could try is to power off the device and turn it back on. Reset All Settings and possibly need to do a complete restore if the upgrade messed up for some reason. Make sure you have a backup before restoring the device using iTunes.

Alright, thanks for the reply. I'll keep monitoring the battery life. :)

Ashhong

You need to turn off repeat to see the reorder button.

Weird thing though, tried to add a song to play later and the option was gone. Played a song from a diff playlist and tried to add another song and I was able to. Went back and the first one worked too. Damn bugs

Lijik

I hate the new notifications, the grey blob popups blend into the bright apps and it looks messy and hard to read. Why did they change those? They looked so nice before. Bah. 😞

this has been bothering me the longer time goes on. idk what it is but i always feel like a pop up ad has appeared when i get a notification now. something about the placement is so awkward for me

maybe i'll get used to them idk

dock

My iPhone 5S feels faster since upgrading to iOS 10, and so does my iPad Mini 2.
I did not expect that.

How does Photos' People work with iCloud? It seems like these aren't synced at all, so each device is scanning for faces etc independently. :( It's a great feature but it feels a bit disjointed when I hop between the iPad and the iPhone.

Can't wait to get my iPhone 7 tomorrow :)

Number45

What happens if you 3D touch a song? Does it just bring up options like love and add? That already shows when you just long hold for non-3D touch users.

Also some of these Message affects are so pointless. I dont mean the slam and loud, I'm talking about the drawing ones. What is the point of drawing a fireball???????????
There are some unusual 3D Touch omissions in Music. From now playing I can't force touch any part of it (art, song name) - I still need to press the "..." to get to those options. Same goes for the tracks in up next (though I can perhaps understand why in that instance... though not every up next track is a track I've never listed to!).

Not being able to scroll back up through the last track played without going to the separate playlist is a backwards step in functionality as well. I listen to a significant amount of music in the car and with the old Music app I could just scroll back from the up next screen to like stuff I'd listened to.

Overall though I much prefer the new app, large font and all.

Mandelbo

Is Photos scanning images really slowly for anyone else? The past two days I've had my phone plugged in and locked overnight, but it only seems to have scanned 10 photos in total. I'm on a 5S, if that makes a difference.

dock

Is Photos scanning images really slowly for anyone else? The past two days I've had my phone plugged in and locked overnight, but it only seems to have scanned 10 photos in total. I'm on a 5S, if that makes a difference.

I wonder whether scanning photos can get stuck? I'm on 5S too.
Mine processed a thousand overnight, but has been stuck on 876 all day despite being plugged in and locked often, even left on the photos screen. The iPad mini 2 coped just fine.

edit: A reboot definitely helped. It started scanning photos again, but also increased the number of remaining photos to something that looks more accurate.

X-Frame

Wtf, Song Rating is gone in iOS 10 Music App?!

This completely fucks with my library of I don't even know how many songs that I group and make playlists based on rating. Wonderful.

You won't be able to reorder them unless you have repeat turned off. If you can't find WHERE to reorder them scroll down on the now playing card

Everyone complaining about battery life needs to chill out. This happens after every major update, give it a couple days

You need to turn off repeat to see the reorder button.

Weird thing though, tried to add a song to play later and the option was gone. Played a song from a diff playlist and tried to add another song and I was able to. Went back and the first one worked too. Damn bugs

Thanks.

Considering that having repeat on was never an issue in iOS 9, this is definitely a move backwards. The whole concept behind up next was that it was a disposable take on whatever playlist you have going on. You can add / remove / reorder and whatever as you saw fit without it having a lasting effect on your other playlist and didn't really have to have any special considerations.

Drop a song in to play next before the rest of the playlist, drop a bunch more you are in the mood for maybe from other albums or playlists (its all good). Reorder as you see fit. Shuffle and repeat was irrelevant.

Hope to see it back in a future update, along with some other features of the previous music app

So I'm liking the ability to split screen two safari web pages, but now, each time I try to add a new tab while I have one safari window full screen, it creates the new tab in the split screen.

How do I turn off the split screen feature?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Damn the word "DOWNLOADED" is shown in huge letters in the music app, when you select a song. Who thought that was a good idea o_O..

Okay, just noticed the 'x' to close the right window, and once you press that, it goes back to single screen mode for safari and new tabs.

Me likey. I've been using the safari and use another web browser like firefox cheat to view two pages split screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom