• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, just noticed the 'x' to close the right window, and once you press that, it goes back to single screen mode for safari and new tabs.

Me likey. I've been using the safari and use another web browser like firefox cheat to view two pages split screen

You can open new tabs on the left or the right side if you're in split screen mode. Just hit the little double-square button (I don't know what it's actually called but it looks like a square laying on top of another square). You'll see one on the lower right side of your two open windows. Whichever open window you tap that square in is the side that gets the new tab.

Also, if you drag the tab that you have open on the right (your "split" tab) over to the left, you can merge it with your tabs on the left without closing any tabs.

Does anyone else use third party music players? Because the one I use, Marvis, is much better than the stock app.

It reminds me of how easy the app was to use back on iOS 8. Being able to do so many things in a small amount of clicks means I can never go back.
Looks cool but I see there are 'remove ads' options all the way up to $10. Can you explain what these tiers are and how intrusive the ads are?

Ambitious

In the Quick Reply window, it would be neat if it was possible to scroll up and see the entire message history, not just the single message you're replying to. I don't get why they didn't think of that.

Lol same. When my wife sends me a dumb gif I throw sleeping Snorlax on top of it 😂

I love that you can resize the stickers (and rotate them), so I can put some expressive sticker on a message I dislike and just cover the whole damn thing.

Why does the music app now look so terrible? Looks like a huge step back.

I thought the same way back when developer beta 1 dropped. Now it's grown on me to the point that I actually prefer it.

Getting bluetooth connection issues with my Jaybird X2's and my Sennheiser Urbanite Wireless XL's. Just randomly drops connection.

I feel this way too. More cumbersome. And having a fucking plus (+) symbol next to every track on my playlist when my settings state NOT to add playlist tracks to my library is annoying as fuck.

And why the shit does the Now Playing window lag briefly when I slide it down? It's infuriating.

Fliesen

"#images" search in iMessage is still missing from both my iPad and my iPhone. :(

(and no, i can't turn it on in the 'manage' tab. It doesn't show up there, either)

Pachimari

I still can't decide if I should update my iPad Pro to iOS 10. I like the multi-language dictionary and the two tabs open in split view.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Did they take away the forward swipe gesture in Safari again? Such weird decisions in this update.

Sullichin

The Music app is a piece of garbage if you don't use Apple Music. I mostly use Spotify, but I have a bunch of locally saved songs in my iTunes library. They refuse to sync, so the app is useless to me. The only things accessible to me in Music are random iTunes purchases from over the years, that I won't ever even listen to. In Messages I have the option to send a "recently played song" from Music, and my only option is a song I bought in 2010 and definitely have not listened to recently.

Is there a good media player app for iOS that uses Dropbox as your library?

Looks cool but I see there are 'remove ads' options all the way up to $10. Can you explain what these tiers are and how intrusive the ads are?

All you need is tier one, 1.99 to get rid of ads completely. If not there's a small banner ad on the bottom on the that fills this space.
qw84Oae.jpg
There's no ads in the player view though, even on the free tier.

sangreal

Not sure if it's just me but if I dial out using facetime on my ipad, it doesn't let you use the keypad during the call anymore (eg to enter an access code or extension). This is pretty annoying as I've been using my ipad as my phone in my home office for awhile now while waiting for the 7 b/c my 6+ has been rendered nearly unusable by the touch controller issues. It works fine during incoming calls

xsarien

daedsiluap

Apple's been making a lot of strange decisions with the music player. I think of all the iOS apps, it's seen the most changes, walk-backs, twitches, and general chaos since iOS 6 or 7.

I sometimes think that they just let a yearly contest winner take a stab at it. :/

Jeffrey

yeah the music app is really odd. Like for a second i thought i turned on 'enlarge font' mode on my 6s+. Everything is needlessly huge.

In the Quick Reply window, it would be neat if it was possible to scroll up and see the entire message history, not just the single message you're replying to. I don't get why they didn't think of that.

I can do that, that's definitely something that's been possible since an early beta

Ambitious

I can do that, that's definitely something that's been possible since an early beta

Seems to be buggy. I just tried it again after reading your post, and now it does actually show me the history. But earlier today, it showed just the one message I was responding to.

Another issue: If I dismiss the keyboard, the notification box grows slightly bigger than the screen, so it's cut off at the bottom by about a centimeter.

edit: Did a bit of testing, but I'm unable to reproduce the issue. Alright then.

Enco

Loving the update but wtf is up with the night mode button being so big? God damn. It doesn't even have to be there.

Laekon

Still can't seem to find any info on how this is running on the iPad 4. I can't seem to find what features actually work and if it runs the same. I've seen that the iPhone 5 runs slower, if only a little, from sites I trust like Ars Technica.

Probably already covered ad nauseam in this thread, but holy damn the new Messages app is a battery sucker! 20% in 1.5 hours with moderate use. Is this normal?

Sullichin

This is a bit off topic but I don't want to make a new thread for it.

Thoughts on iPad Pro 9.7" versus iPad Air 2?

I am mostly going to be using music production apps on it.

Pro for longevity. It's more powerful and it's got quad speakers which might be helpful. Best Buy has sales on them occasionally for $100 off

Jin

Anyone experiencing the playlist not sorting by alphabetically? This is on ipod 6th gen. It was fine, then I added one song to a existing playlist and now that playlist is at the very top of list even above the ones starting with the letter A. Resetting the ipod doesn't fix it.

It supports EFIGS languages plus Portuguese and Chinese right now. "multilingual typing" under the Keyboard section.

http://www.apple.com/uk/ios/feature-availability/#quickType-keyboard-multilingual-typing

I tried words in all those languages (except Chinese) and the keyboard didn't recognize any of them except Spanish and Portuguese. Maybe that list is what is eventually being supported, but not right now.

Definitely go for the Pro. My 12" Pro has been fantastic for music apps like the Moog synths and doing effect chaining. For music creation you want as much horsepower as you can get. The Air 2 has the A8X processor, which is a gen behind the Pro's A9X. I think the Pro also has more RAM, but can't remember for sure offhand.

Been having a weird glitch for a while where I'll answer a call on my iPhone and it will still show up in my calls like I missed it. Like I'll have two entries for the exact same time, one answered (which I did), and one in red saying I missed the same call

Jeffrey

I tried words in all those languages (except Chinese) and the keyboard didn't recognize any of them except Spanish and Portuguese. Maybe that list is what is eventually being supported, but not right now.

Definitely go for the Pro. My 12" Pro has been fantastic for music apps like the Moog synths and doing effect chaining. For music creation you want as much horsepower as you can get. The Air 2 has the A8X processor, which is a gen behind the Pro's A9X. I think the Pro also has more RAM, but can't remember for sure offhand.
big one has 4gb ram. smaller one has 2gb ram.

Cheech

I can tell you that iOS 10 on my Pro 9.7" absolutely screams. It's the fastest iOS device I've ever used, at least until the 7 drops tomorrow, and I've been using iOS 10 on my 6s as well.

Just depends how often you typically upgrade. If you don't want to be more than a gen or two behind, the Air 2 might work. But if you want it to be relevant for a solid 3-4 years, get the Pro. I love mine. I hated paying that much money for it, but damn, it really is worth it.

DOWN

Banned
Questions:

Is there no way to have iOS define a word for you when you highlight it? You used to have a Define option after Copy Paste etc

Also, is there a reason why Reminders widget when you pull down notifications can only show Reminders with a set date for today? It won't show Reminders that are undated or not due for a few days. I just want a quick access list of any Reminders :(

Questions:

Is there no way to have iOS define a word for you when you highlight it? You used to have a Define option after Copy Paste etc

Also, is there a reason why Reminders widget when you pull down notifications can only show Reminders with a set date for today? It won't show Reminders that are undated or not due for a few days. I just want a quick access list of any Reminders :(

For me there's a Look Up option when a word is highlighted

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
As always, I will shill Cesium to folks who want a great alternative to the stock music app.

Grabbed Cesium today which is a lifesaver. The stock Music app was pretty shit in iOS 9 but they've somehow made it much worse.

Just don't "delete" the Music app off your phone like I did, that prevents Cesium from outputting sound for some reason.

DOWN

Banned
For me there's a Look Up option when a word is highlighted
It no longer shows a Define button. Look Up was always there but that does a Web Search. Define showed the definition of the word on a local dictionary. Nice and fast. Look Up requires you to click a web result to find out the definition, rather than just showing it to you.

Sullichin

Pro for longevity. It's more powerful and it's got quad speakers which might be helpful. Best Buy has sales on them occasionally for $100 off

I can tell you that iOS 10 on my Pro 9.7" absolutely screams. It's the fastest iOS device I've ever used, at least until the 7 drops tomorrow, and I've been using iOS 10 on my 6s as well.

Just depends how often you typically upgrade. If you don't want to be more than a gen or two behind, the Air 2 might work. But if you want it to be relevant for a solid 3-4 years, get the Pro. I love mine. I hated paying that much money for it, but damn, it really is worth it.

Thanks! I just went with the Pro. Was $516 on Amazon (32GB), plus I had a gift card and amazon credit, so it was about $470. Still more than the Air but I think I'll be happy with it.

The app I want to use the most is STROM, which I can use with my drum machine. But i'm excited to use Korg Gadget NOT on my tiny ass phone screen too.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
So is the "archive" functionality in lockscreen mail notifications gone for a good reason? I'm realizing now that this is something I used all the time.

It no longer shows a Define button. Look Up was always there but that does a Web Search. Define showed the definition of the word on a local dictionary. Nice and fast. Look Up requires you to click a web result to find out the definition, rather than just showing it to you.

Yeah that seems like a step backwards to me. Not that the old Define button was very fast at pulling up definitions, but at least it was quicker than the new way.

Thanks! I just went with the Pro. Was $516 on Amazon (32GB), plus I had a gift card and amazon credit, so it was about $470. Still more than the Air but I think I'll be happy with it.

The app I want to use the most is STROM, which I can use with my drum machine. But i'm excited to use Korg Gadget NOT on my tiny ass phone screen too.

Nice, enjoy! If you use synths at all, check out the Moog Model 15 app. It's a beast and you can get some really classic Moog tones out of it.

Hm? Not for me. When I tap look up a definition is the first thing available

oedUoP3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom