• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can I revert to iOS 9? This two-panel control centre is awful ):

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/io...10-how-go-back-ios-9-reinstall-ios-9-3522302/

The gist is to download the ipsw file and go through iTunes. Act now before Apple stops signing the OS.

Hopefully you have an ios9 backup. Can't restore to a newer iOS10 backup from a 9.3.5 device.

I like the multiple panels for control center. It remembers where you left off so your music will be pulled up if it was the last thing that was seen. Bigger touch targets too.

Glix

I love the changes to the messaging app but everything else has been a big downer.

Half the time I try and unlock the phone it thinks I'm trying to use touch ID (which I would, but it only has a 60% success rate for me) and doesn't bring the numpad up OR unlock the phone. This shit will be 100x worse when the physical button is gone.

Also the way I hold the phone if I only have one hand available lends itself so much better to a screen swipe than a home button press.

Its the same as always for me with these apple products. Just give me SOME fucking options. I'm not asking for registry access or anything, but please, you DONT always know whats best for me, you don't know which Wifi network I would want to connect to if two remembered ones are available, you hide functions in accessibility options that shouldn't be there, and it fucking makes me MAD.

commissar

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/io...10-how-go-back-ios-9-reinstall-ios-9-3522302/

The gist is to download the ipsw file and go through iTunes. Act now before Apple stops signing the OS.

Hopefully you have an ios9 backup. Can't restore to a newer iOS10 backup from a 9.3.5 device.

I like the multiple panels for control center. It remembers where you left off so your music will be pulled up if it was the last thing that was seen. Bigger touch targets too.

Thanks! I never had a problem with the size of the touch zones and liked having everything a single swipe away. Honest downgrade for me. Would be nice if they let us customise what's on there with widgets instead

mrkgoo

I love the new music app.

I don't us Apple Music, and I'm a really basic music listener with my entire library in my phone via iTunes.

I like the now playing screen. Feels vibrant. I like how the album art reacts when you're playing or paused.

Pretty happy with ios10 overall.

I'm missing some photos features because I'm on an iPhone 5. I wish it said somewhere - I had to read the iOS 10 review on arstechnica to find out.

That scanning sounds like a pain so I'm really happy in general. I was also able to recover some space from being able to "delete" stock apps that I've been wanting to for ages.

Some bugs have been fixed that I've had in the past too.

One bug remains that I think will never be fixed. Some videos that I recorded in portrait mode back on iOS 6 play cropped in landscape. The video itself is fine but about 70 of it is cropped. I suspect they changed how they used or read orientation flags in a later version of iOS. So my old portrait videos are basically unviewable.

I keep wanting a fix. But I guess 4 major iOS versions later it won't get fixed.

DOWN

Banned
Hm? Not for me. When I tap look up a definition is the first thing available

oedUoP3.jpg
Ok I get that most of the time. I must have picked something weird because twice I only got web results which led me to post about it

xsarien

daedsiluap
I just want the ability to play a single song without the music app moving on to another one.

That's literally all I want, and all I've wanted for countless iOS releases now. The absence of it drives me absolutely crazy.

Lima

I just want the ability to play a single song without the music app moving on to another one.

That's literally all I want, and all I've wanted for countless iOS releases now. The absence of it drives me absolutely crazy.

Put it on repeat then? I don't understand.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
it's great, i love having my music controls in one pane instead of stuffed into one large pane
Threre's practically nothing good about it. Music control pane is largely empty, and then on the main pane the space is wasted on that giant worthless button for Night Shift. They should just make some simple editor and let people re-arrange things on these panels. I'd gladly move both AirWhatever buttons and Nightshift button to the secondary pane, and move music controls back in the resulting empty space.

This is probably my only (minor) issue with iOS10.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Put it on repeat then? I don't understand.

I want it to play once. I think, at a very specific point in time, iTunes had this feature. Then it vanished. The closest I can come there is to clear the Up Next queue once a song starts.

That was even an option in iOS 9 and I just...dealt with it. But now I feel like I'm caught in autoplay hell.

johnny956

Does anyone know how to access the transcribed voicemails? I'm not seeing any option to access the text.

It took mine a day to start working and older voicemails even longer

edit: basically the text will show up below the number and above the play button for each message. It automatically shows up

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I know iOS 10 now scan for people's faces when organizing photos now. Is there a way to tell Photos that there is a face in a particular photo and who it is? Seems like if Photos didn't recognize it automatically, I cannot simply add it manually?

It took mine a day to start working and older voicemails even longer

edit: basically the text will show up below the number and above the play button for each message. It automatically shows up

Hm, strange. I've had iOS 10 installed since launch day and no text. I wonder if the transcription is done locally or on Apple's servers. If they're pulling the voice files from the carriers, then perhaps there's a carrier-specific issue going on.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I know iOS 10 now scan for people's faces when organizing photos now. Is there a way to tell Photos that there is a face in a particular photo and who it is? Seems like if Photos didn't recognize it automatically, I cannot simply add it manually?

In the Photos App, go to Albums and then People. There will be some that they've already grouped together, and when you assign a name to that person, there's (sometimes) an option to go through other pictures that they believe to be the same.

The weird thing to me is that while you can group photos of yourself together, it doesn't say "Me" it says your name.

cakefoo

2 questions

IOS 9 used to give me the default option to snooze reminder and calendar notifications for 15 minutes. In IOS 10 it's 1 hour. Any way to get the 15 minute option back? Or maybe it's only available in certain contexts? Back in IOS 9 if your phone was unlocked and the alert popped up, it would give you both 15m and 1hr snooze options.

Nevermind the other issue. I wasn't seeing my third party apps in Settings. I re-opened it and they loaded.

is there still no 3rd party or first party keyboard option with num keys at the top row for iphone?
I'm using TouchPal which has numbers available through swipes off the top row of keys.

There are lots of keyboards that provide a number row but they can't just add it to the standard keyboard, so they have to reimpliment everything the standard keyboard does - which is a lot. And most do a bad job.

TouchPal brought across a lot of learning from its Android app. New keyboards like Path Input have a better layout and performance than TouchPal but they get the basic word prediction just wrong enough to piss me off.

Some keyboards let you get numbers by swiping from the 123 key (the numbers appear when you start swiping and disappear when you finish). Google's Gboard is pretty good in this regard.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
My review (iPhone 5):

- The new fonts are a little too heavy
- Swipe left on home screen to bring up reminders is handy but it's stupid that you can't turn off the edit button
- Speed seems fine
- Turning off the built-in apps is good but I still can't turn off all the built-in apps for some reason
- I don't like the dark theme for the clock app
- Music is actually pretty functional (no Apple Music subscription) -- I like being able to put on a song on a playlist, press random, and so easily see what's up next. But the fonts are too thick and bold and the card UI doesn't seem to fit with the base layer UI
- For some reason the dictation icon turned itself back on so I had to toggle it to turn it off again
- I still can't turn off the fucking voice message icon
- I have a broken microphone, so I can't test siri upgrades, but having a broken microphone makes it even more annoying that I can't turn off the fucking voice message icon because I'll literally never use one
- The drawing UI for messages is kinda ugly
- The app store in messages is supremely ugly, what the fuck is the deal with these little squashed icons?
- I'd rather turn this stuff off and have a full wide bar to type messages
- Why is the header for a message conversation double height to fit a dumb contact photo I don't need?
- The message conversation view doesn't at all visually fit with the message list of conversations view
- Why does maps show me temperature now?
- The card UI in maps looks nice.
- For some reason updating apps from the App Store took me like four times to say yes to the terms and conditions before it stuck.
- New notification center looks neither better nor worse. It's less convenient to get to my music but more convenient to, uh, I guess use AirPlay mirroring?

- Everything looks really inconsistent. Every app is using a different style. None of them are really totally hideous or anything, but it's just not consistent. Like, click Notes, then Music, then Maps, then Messages, then Phone, then Clock, and tell me that these are apps on the same operating system following the same design guidelines. I don't think I'd believe you.

Jeffrey

I'm using TouchPal which has numbers available through swipes off the top row of keys.

There are lots of keyboards that provide a number row but they can't just add it to the standard keyboard, so they have to reimpliment everything the standard keyboard does - which is a lot. And most do a bad job.

TouchPal brought across a lot of learning from its Android app. New keyboards like Path Input have a better layout and performance than TouchPal but they get the basic word prediction just wrong enough to piss me off.

Some keyboards let you get numbers by swiping from the 123 key (the numbers appear when you start swiping and disappear when you finish). Google's Gboard is pretty good in this regard.

thanks for the rec. seems like a neat keyboard.

My current annoyance as someone who has a fair amount of HomeKit stuff: there's no way to work automation for multiple people. It'll only work for my phone as the "owner" of the home, and my girlfriend who I am sharing the home with is just shit out of luck. That seems crazy to me

kiguel182

The fact that night shift takes so much space in the control center is perplexing.

Also, I've seen a number of people that don't know it has two panels. I wonder how they could've made it more obvious there.

Enco

Why is this? I'm wth three and don't even get visual voicemail. Why isn't it a standard across all networks?
Same and who knows.

It's absolutely ridiculous. Voice mail is such a bs service. Not being able to select what you want to listen to? Just.. no.

Number45

So is the "archive" functionality in lockscreen mail notifications gone for a good reason? I'm realizing now that this is something I used all the time.
Force touch the mail and you'll get a (terribly formatted) preview, along with the option to archive or delete.

it's great, i love having my music controls in one pane instead of stuffed into one large pane
They have all that space, and yet you're unable to rate songs on that pane. That's literally the only issue I have with the changes to CC (aside from the lack of customisation on the settings pane).

kiguel182

The lack of consistent design between apps is something that really sticks out. This update seems like the first attempt at this card based interface that wil eventually be used by all apps. But right now it's still in transition and not everywhere.

Edit: oh yeah, the formatting on the email preview is ridiculous. How did that go into the final release? Useless feature since you can't really read anything.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Threre's practically nothing good about it. Music control pane is largely empty, and then on the main pane the space is wasted on that giant worthless button for Night Shift. They should just make some simple editor and let people re-arrange things on these panels. I'd gladly move both AirWhatever buttons and Nightshift button to the secondary pane, and move music controls back in the resulting empty space.

This is probably my only (minor) issue with iOS10.

Same, it's really the one big thing that's bothering me about iOS10. Night shift should replace the 'timer' button on the bottom and it should have playback controls in the place the night shift button was.

I'm already used to it using the beta since forever, but it's still a step back. It's an extra unnecessary swipe for a feature I use constantly.

So you know how when you got a notification in iOS 9 and earlier, that if you pushed the banner up, the notification would disappear? That seems to have been removed from iOS 10, now when I try to push the notification up, nothing happens, the only interaction you can make with it is to touch it to bring a sub-menu up.

Anyone else noticed this/has a fix for it? It's really annoying when you want to use the top of the screen (like refresh on safari for example) but can't cus you have to wait for the banner to disappear

Hoo-doo

Banned
So you know how when you got a notification in iOS 9 and earlier, that if you pushed the banner up, the notification would disappear? That seems to have been removed from iOS 10, now when I try to push the notification up, nothing happens, the only interaction you can make with it is to touch it to bring a sub-menu up.

Anyone else noticed this/has a fix for it? It's really annoying when you want to use the top of the screen (like refresh on safari for example) but can't cus you have to wait for the banner to disappear

I think it's a bug. Sometimes I can push the notification away, but sometimes I can't.

When I get a banner notification of my alarm going off while the screen is unlocked, I can't push it away, I have to go in the app itself.

I think it's a bug. Sometimes I can push the notification away, but sometimes I can't.

When I get a banner notification of my alarm going off while the screen is unlocked, I can't push it away, I have to go in the app itself.

Ah ok, well lets hope it is a bug as there was no reason to remove that feature? Just irritating when a group conversation starts talking and the notifications come in at a pace where I can't even access the top of the screen 😑

TimFL

Okay, am i crazy or are the rich notifications for mail blatantly useless...?
I 3D Touch them and it gives me plain text chaos every single time instead of a proper HTML view like I get via 3D Touch preview in the mail app.

I was also totally bummed out by the fact that the new WhatsApp update completely ignores the rich notification feature. Hope they add it later on, took them quite some time to add proper previews for 3D Touch last year.

Other than that iOS10 is really smooth on my 6s. I do miss being able to reorder songs in the up next queue though... or is there a way to?

Other than that iOS10 is really smooth on my 6s. I do miss being able to reorder songs in the up next queue though... or is there a way to?

Yeah you can, scroll down to up next and you can use the lines on the far right of each song to move them up and down. Also 3D Touch on a song in your library to add it to up next

FerranMG

I sent a feature request to Apple asking them to change the volume icon that appears RIGHT AT THE CENTER OF THE SCREEN every time you change the volume.
It's so damn annoying when watching a video.
I can't understand who thought this would be a good idea, and how this hasn't changed since the damned phone was release.
What's more important, the volume level or the video I'm watching, FFS?

Fliesen

I sent a feature request to Apple asking them to change the volume icon that appears RIGHT AT THE CENTER OF THE SCREEN every time you change the volume.
It's so damn annoying when watching a video.
I can't understand who thought this would be a good idea, and how this hasn't changed since the damned phone was release.
What's more important, the volume level or the video I'm watching, FFS?

funnily, i think there has to be an API that would be able to suppress the volume icon.
If you watch a youtube video in full screen, the volume icon is replaced by a thin white bar at the top of the screen.

FerranMG

funnily, i think there has to be an API that would be able to suppress the volume icon.
If you watch a youtube video in full screen, the volume icon is replaced by a thin white bar at the top of the screen.

Yeah, I noticed that as well.
I find it egregious that we still have to suffer that immensely obtrusive icon.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Interesting video you picked. I think I have a few of those under the hood of my car.

TimFL

Yeah you can, scroll down to up next and you can use the lines on the far right of each song to move them up and down. Also 3D Touch on a song in your library to add it to up next

There are no lines here. Spent 5 minutes trying to re-order but all I could do is swipe in from the right to remove the song from the queue.

Is it because it's a playlist I'm playing? I'm 100% certain it worked with playlists on iOS9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom