• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are no lines here. Spent 5 minutes trying to re-order but all I could do is swipe in from the right to remove the song from the queue.

Is it because it's a playlist I'm playing? I'm 100% certain it worked with playlists on iOS9.

It could be because you're using a playlist yeah. Definitely works when just going through your library. Can you post screenshots?

TimFL

It could be because you're using a playlist yeah. Definitely works when just going through your library. Can you post screenshots?

Just tried again and it works IF you turn off repeat all songs... I'm 110% certain it worked with repeat all songs on iOS9 because I have that feature on 24/7 (repeat all & shuffle to be exact).
Really hope they patch this in or at least make a playlist auto restart once the last song has been played.

Just tried again and it works IF you turn off repeat all songs... I'm 110% certain it worked with repeat all songs on iOS9 because I have that feature on 24/7 (repeat all & shuffle to be exact).
Really hope they patch this in or at least make a playlist auto restart once the last song has been played.

Yeah you're right, I used to do the same and see it is no more. Here's hoping 10.1 is around the corner to fix some of this stuff.

CHC

So far I think this sucks and that the last time iOS has actually improved with an update has been with 7. I'm probably just a grumbling Luddite, but the spacing of everything feels so cramped (like the picture at the top of an iMessage conversation). Music app is a mess, worse than the already bad version it was. And the removal of slide-to-unlock is going to take forever to get used to. Oh and control center split into two sub-menus: boneheaded decision.

Sometimes I wonder if the designers even use these phones.

Ok rant over, sorry.

Ambitious

Looks like it's not possible anymore to scroll within the message textfield in the Messages app? It used to have this kind of bouncy scrolling, didn't it?

Also, I just noticed that for some reason the setting for displaying names in the Messages app has been changed for me. It used to display the first letter of the first name plus the entire last name. Now it's the opposite.

TimFL

Looks like it's not possible anymore to scroll within the message textfield in the Messages app? It used to have this kind of bouncy scrolling, didn't it?

Also, I just noticed that for some reason the setting for displaying names in the Messages app has been changed for me. It used to display the first letter of the first name plus the entire last name. Now it's the opposite.

You should be able to change that in Settings > Contacts > Short Name.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
The battery life on my 6s is just as awful as it was on Tuesday. How long does this take? I can't use any app without it destroying my battery.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Is there any way to adjust the sensitivy of Voice Control/Siri?
Annoying as hell listening to music, and holding down the home button a millisecond too long and Voice control coming on and silencing the music. Ideally, I just want to turn both VC and Siri off entirely.

TimFL

Is there any way to adjust the sensitivy of Voice Control/Siri?
Annoying as hell listening to music, and holding down the home button a millisecond too long and Voice control coming on and silencing the music. Ideally, I just want to turn both VC and Siri off entirely.

Can't you turn Siri off in the settings app?

I fell asleep early last night and my 'time to go to sleep' notification vibration woke me up half an hour later. Anyone know how to turn that off?

Just called an Uber by tapping my headset and saying "get me an uber". Fuck, this feels like the future. It's amazing how so much work needs to be done on in the background to actually make this possible, in terms of Uber's app, all the built in technologies and sensors inside he device, Siri's voice and context recognition, and the APIs that tie everything together.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
funnily, i think there has to be an API that would be able to suppress the volume icon.
If you watch a youtube video in full screen, the volume icon is replaced by a thin white bar at the top of the screen.

AhmABm0.png
that's the case for videos on Instagram too (non-full screen). I appreciate it.

lol @ pic

Chuckl3s

Wow..I'm really impressed with iOS 10 on the 5S. I was kinda skeptical upgrading it due to it being on a older phone. But I was wrong. Its really fast and smooth jumping from app to app. I noticed that it did free up a lot of space on the phone itself. Almost freed up 4 or 5 gbs.

Auctopus

First impressions of ios10 are that the changes they've made are ugly. Text notifications especially are too big and the white looks cheap.

Also, is there a way to not press home to open? So I can just scan my thumb and be brought straight to the home screen like before? Instead of having to press home again?

Chuckl3s

First impressions of ios10 are that the changes they've made are ugly. Text notifications especially are too big and the white looks cheap.

Also, is there a way to not press home to open? So I can just scan my thumb and be brought straight to the home screen like before? Instead of having to press home again?

Settings > General > Accessibility > Home Button > Rest Finger to Open

I have the same gripe as you, Apple Music is too big for my 5S. The name of Artist wraps now instead of being shrunk to the width of the screen. Kinda bothersome when you have the keyboard up and it covers the name of the artist.

Jeffrey

its still sad how ipad was pretty much left out this year. You'd think apple being big in size and wealth, that they can afford to do substantial updates to the iphone and ipad OS every year and not just alternate.

like the 'focus' on notification works fine on iphone, but on my ipad pro, blurring out 90% of the screen just so i can read this little notification box better... wtf?

also why is everything ginormous on the lockscreen of my phone? from media player to the time,

ionitron

Settings > General > Accessibility > Home Button > Rest Finger to Open

I have the same gripe as you, Apple Music is too big for my 5S. The name of Artist wraps now instead of being shrunk to the width of the screen. Kinda bothersome when you have the keyboard up and it covers the name of the artist.

Okay seriously I'm upset with this. I'm running an SE and it's so apparent that the OS was designed with bigger screens in mind. The size of the text is too big on the phone imo, and the lock screen is incredibly awkwardly spaced.

No swipe to unlock is annoying because the fingerprint sensor isn't perfect under certain conditions, so it takes extra time having to keep failing until the passcode option comes along. Hopefully Apple will change this!

Thank goodness Apple had the sense to allow fingerprint unlock by resting finger as before, instead of forcing us to click button first everytime.

Mandelbo

Are they ever going to clean up the settings menu? The accessibility tab just seems to be where they dump settings they can't categorise - why is rest to unlock even there? Vibration doesn't seem to fit there either, as well as ambient noise cancelling. Even with the search function it's still really hard to find things...

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Are they ever going to clean up the settings menu? The accessibility tab just seems to be where they dump settings they can't categorise - why is rest to unlock even there? Vibration doesn't seem to fit there either, as well as ambient noise cancelling. Even with the search function it's still really hard to find things...

You know you can search settings by pulling down the main list right?

Guess Who

Banned

Rest to unlock is in accessibility because it's a feature meant for people with motion impairments that make it difficult to press the home button, not just people who liked the old unlock method better. Just like reduce motion is there for people with motion sickness, not just people who hate the slow animations. And reduce transparency is there for people who have vision problems, not just people who hate the blurred backgrounds. And AssistiveTouch is for people who have trouble using physical buttons, not for people with broken home buttons. etc. etc.

Ok seriously, where the fuck has my last bit of storage gone? Before the update so averaged around 400mb of space. Then right after the update I had 600mb. Immediately after that though my used space kept growing over the course of 30 min until I only had 200mb left, without ever leaving the settings app. I literally didn't use a single other app. And now the rest of my space has disappeared for seemingly no reason. Throughout all of this the size hasn't increased for any of my apps, so so have no idea where it's going. And I just deleted a 53mb app and apparently still have "Zero KB" left, so what the fuck.

Denali

Messing around with the new effects just testing things out texting myself, and each iMessage is coming through three times? Anyone experienced this?

John_B

How do you make Safari open YouTube links directly in the YouTube app? I had this fixed before somehow.

Edit: Force touch a YouTube link and choose "Open in YouTube". Then Safari remembers this choice.

Chuckl3s

I also noticed that my Message app isn't indicating if I got a message waiting for me. You know the number in the top right corner of the app?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So you know how when you got a notification in iOS 9 and earlier, that if you pushed the banner up, the notification would disappear? That seems to have been removed from iOS 10, now when I try to push the notification up, nothing happens, the only interaction you can make with it is to touch it to bring a sub-menu up.

Anyone else noticed this/has a fix for it? It's really annoying when you want to use the top of the screen (like refresh on safari for example) but can't cus you have to wait for the banner to disappear
Pull it like a roll-up curtain and it disappears as before. Pushing straight up no longer works.

its still sad how ipad was pretty much left out this year. You'd think apple being big in size and wealth, that they can afford to do substantial updates to the iphone and ipad OS every year and not just alternate.

like the 'focus' on notification works fine on iphone, but on my ipad pro, blurring out 90% of the screen just so i can read this little notification box better... wtf?

also why is everything ginormous on the lockscreen of my phone? from media player to the time,

They added split screen for Safari. That was sorely needed, IMO.

Pull it like a roll-up curtain and it disappears as before. Pushing straight up no longer works.

If you mean swiping up on a notification to dismiss it, it works exactly like it used to for me.

Jeffrey

They added split screen for Safari. That was sorely needed, IMO.

it's a good addition but still implemented in a weird way thats still a hacky solution to what I assume the final goal, which is multiple instances of the same app open.

You can't call something a laptop replacement if you can't do simple things like have 2 excel sheets or word docs open at the same time.

it's a good addition but still implemented in a weird way thats still a hacky solution to what I assume the final goal, which is multiple instances of the same app open.

You can't call something a laptop replacement if you can't do simple things like have 2 excel sheets or word docs open at the same time.

I disagree that it's a hacky solution, but yes, it would be nice to be implemented across all of their apps.

Who knows? That may be coming up in a later update, particularly if they want to keep pushing this "laptop replacement" line of thinking.

mrkgoo

I also noticed that my Message app isn't indicating if I got a message waiting for me. You know the number in the top right corner of the app?

I had this happen about a week before iOS 10 released. Messages were coming to my watch and notifying me there even when I was using the phone.

Messages would come in to the phone but it didn't alert me like it was supposed to.

Turning my phone off and on again did the trick.

Jeffrey

ahahaha. they got rid of that terrible landscape mode for Clock app that was exclusive to plus phones.

no clue why its a dark app now.

Mikhal

Okay seriously I'm upset with this. I'm running an SE and it's so apparent that the OS was designed with bigger screens in mind. The size of the text is too big on the phone imo, and the lock screen is incredibly awkwardly spaced.

The text size was the first thing that hit me too after the update on my SE.

If you go to accessibility settings there's an option called "Larger Text" You can drag the slider down to adjust the text sizes.

j-wood

So I've been an Android user since the beginning, never had an iPhone.

I currently have a Nexus 6p I bought straight from Google, and apparently I can get the 6S completely free on my verizon account right now, without changing my bill, so I was thinking of trying one out.

Huge mistake or nah?

Vyer

I currently have a Nexus 6p I bought straight from Google, and apparently I can get the 6S completely free on my verizon account right now, without changing my bill, so I was thinking of trying one out.

Huge mistake or nah?

6s or 6s plus?

The 6p is also larger screen, right? Would you be ok with going to a smaller one?

Guess Who

Banned

Huge mistake or nah?

If you can get a 6S+, you might give it a shot, otherwise the 6S will feel like a tiny baby phone if you're used to a 6P.

As a designer, I REALLY appreciate all the design tweaks iOS10 has to offer, big and small, from the colors, to the spacing, animations, transitions, etc. It's clear they put a ton of thought and work into almost every aspect of this update, and really tightened and cleaned things up while adding a boatload of features and enhancements.

j-wood

Yeah I was thinking the 6S, because I want to be able to use a phone completely one handed again. Worst case scenario I could just sell it and go back to my 6P

Huge mistake or nah?

Depends on what you're used to. Going by your other content and wanting a smaller phone, the 6s is a good choice.

Operating system-wise it's a tougher sell as whole they're very similar now there's some key differences between them. Customizations on Android and a beautiful walled garden on the other.

Jeffrey

Huge mistake or nah?

double check your contract if it changes anything. Otherwise no reason not to. iOS has quite a few advantages over android, mostly in terms of things just working most of the time, while android has more 'quirks'.

The trade off is less options for 3rd party to integrate into the system although thats improving slowly every year. Also homescreen management is still complete garbage on iOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom