• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auctopus

I doubt that's an issue with the OS. Your battery is probably dying. I have the same issue and am getting it replaced tomorrow. It's just not dependable anymore.

My battery started dying on my 4 a few years ago, it was pretty gradual. My battery on my 6 has been excellent for the year that I've had it and only this morning did it shut down on 20% suddenly.

I'll keep my eye on it.

Ashhong

My battery started dying on my 4 a few years ago, it was pretty gradual. My battery on my 6 has been excellent for the year that I've had it and only this morning did it shut down on 20% suddenly.

I'll keep my eye on it.

Could be that the OS was doing something battery intensive and just shut it down. If my battery is around 30% and I turn on Snapchat it shuts down every time. Wait a minute and press the power button and it comes back on at 30%. So goddamn annoying. Had the same issue with my 5 after a year and it was recalled. I wish they recalled the 6 too

pbsapeer

Banned

I'll keep my eye on it.
My 6s does this all the time from new. Whenever I open snapchat on <20% battery it switches off and want s plugged in

Fliesen

yeah, these kinds of battery issues were the reason i went for an AppleCare exchange before handing my 6 down to my girlfriend. €69 well spent.

Ambitious

My phone's battery drains way faster than with iOS 9. People say this happens with every iOS update, but it never happened to me before. That's the first time an iOS update seems to have an effect on my battery life.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is it just me, or does force touching the backspace button when typing delete things faster? I know the delete switches to word-by-word after a delay, but it seems to go faster than that.

I'd like an option to disable word-by-word an use force touch for speed. Many times I want to delete an amount of text that is too many characters to do character-by-character, but I don't want the word-by-word to kick in as it'll shoot past where I want. So I end up doing it in spurts to prevent the timer kicking in.

Tigel

My phone just randomly powered off at 20% and wouldn't come back on until I put it on charge. Smh.
I had the exact same issue on my new-ish iPhone 6S, it's definitely an OS issue. One Apple Store employee recommended to reset the pone to factory default an restore your backup. I did it and it works.

entremet

Whatever happened to Single Sign-On for the TV apps? That's usually the bane of my iPad watching experience, authenticating all the time.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
LOL, I have now to let the video I stream via Airplay open on my iPhone and cant do other stuff at the same time without loosing the video.

Seriously, fuck you Apple.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
My phone's battery drains way faster than with iOS 9. People say this happens with every iOS update, but it never happened to me before. That's the first time an iOS update seems to have an effect on my battery life.
It happens every major update. Every single one. The OS has to reindex everythjng and setup the file system, etc. battery life will be fine within a day.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
what app are you streaming from?
Safari
Im iOS 9 I could decide between two options, one which let the video on my tv continue when I press the home button or change tab and another which constantly showed the current screen. It seems like the first option is now gone.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
LOL, I have now to let the video I stream via Airplay open on my iPhone and cant do other stuff at the same time without loosing the video.

Unless this is safari or Videos, it's "probably" not apple's fault. Only recent problem I can recall was where a Live Photo lock screen wallpaper would prevent AirPlay when auto lock kicked in. But yeah, I've had tons of apps that the devs didn't properly integrate background streaming which will cause what you're saying. Most recently Funimations NEW APP from THIS YEAR would do what you're saying. FFS.
Safari
Im iOS 9 I could decide between two options, one which let the video on my tv continue when I press the home button or change tab and another which constantly showed the current screen. It seems like the first option is now gone.
Ahh.. just tried and it works from my iPad Air and my 7. What device are you on? Also are you going into another app? If you're going into an app that would kill the background playback process that would cause it also.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Is there really nothing that I am missing? Like a hidden switch? There also now two buttons for airplay, one of the controllcenter screen with the shortcuts for Wifi, etc and one on the page for mediacontroll but they do the same? o_O

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Posting to mobile Gaf pushes the reply off he screen when the keyboard pops up. Annoying. Don't think it used to do that. Text field should obviously remain in focus when the keyboard comes up.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
17pHgY8.jpg

Thats how the function was implantated in iOS 9.

When I turn the switch on I get the whole screen, when I dont the video on that website starts and I can continue do stuff while watch the video

Ambitious

Posting to mobile Gaf pushes the reply off he screen when the keyboard pops up. Annoying. Don't think it used to do that. Text field should obviously remain in focus when the keyboard comes up.

I have a similar issues with text message notifications. Sometimes, instead of pushing the notification bubble upwards when activating the keyboard, it squashes the bubble, even if it's just a short message of two lines or so.

Fliesen

Thats what the function was implantated in iOS 9.

When I turn the switch on I get the whole screen, when I dont the video on that website starts and I can continue do stuff while watch the video

well, to be fair, you're streaming to a FireTV - so your AirPlay connection is "makeshift" on the receiving side.
I wonder if you'd have the same issues streaming to an AppleTV.
Maybe they tweaked the AirPlay protocol a bit and the app you're making your fireTV able to accept airplay content hasn't been updated yet.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
well, to be fair, you're streaming to a FireTV - so your AirPlay connection is "makeshift" on the receiving side.
I wonder if you'd have the same issues streaming to an AppleTV.
Maybe they tweaked the AirPlay protocol a bit and the app you're making your fireTV able to accept airplay content hasn't been updated yet.
I did some research and the function is still there but super hidden, even for original Apple Hardware.
You have to start the video, then start Airplay via the right control panel, then it works.
I hope they make it more accessible again.

Also, good job with putting two functionalities for the same thing on two different cards.

jts

...hate me...
Is it a feature or some standard that got broken in Safari iOS 10 that no page locks the zoom now? Including GAF mobile.

Which, honestly, is cool in my book.

Fliesen

I did some research and the function is still there but super hidden, even for original Apple Hardware.
You have to start the video, then start Airplay via the right control panel, then it works.
I hope they make it more accessible again.

Also, good job with putting two functionalities for the same thing on two different cards.
what's the other way to invoke airplay? you mean straight from the corner of the video itself?

i always had to do that when streaming Safari video content.
Load up the video, close / switch the app, then resume (air)playing via the control center.

That was how you could 'play video / music in background while surfing in another tab' even before AirPlay

Anyone else had problems with YouTube (browser and App) I'm assuming since ios10?

Like videos won't play not even the ads. I have to restart the phone for them to work again.

Lkr

I feel like everything is snappier on my 6S+. I still need to update my iPad mini 2, I doubt I'll get performance improvements similar to my newer hardware but my mini felt so slow to react to pressing shit in ios9

Ambitious

I hate how embedded YouTube videos use the iOS default video player. For some reason it always defaults to 360p for me, even though my connection is perfectly capable of handling 1080p/60fps streams. As there's no way to change the quality using the default player, I have to open videos either in the YouTube app or the mobile YouTube site. Preferably the former, as the latter sucks. Of course, neither of them supports PiP, so this requires yet another step (switching to CornerTube).

Pretty shitty user experience.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm realizing that they didn't get rid of the forward swipe gesture in Safari, but they just made it so swiping from off the bezel doesn't register. You have to hit the exact spot on the edge of the screen and swipe. Back swiping still registers from off the screen from the bezel. Yet another "what were they thinking there" change.

I'm realizing that they didn't get rid of the forward swipe gesture in Safari, but they just made it so swiping from off the bezel doesn't register. You have to hit the exact spot on the edge of the screen and swipe. Back swiping still registers from off the screen from the bezel. Yet another "what were they thinking there" change.

Mine works swiping off the bezel

Ashhong

I had the exact same issue on my new-ish iPhone 6S, it's definitely an OS issue. One Apple Store employee recommended to reset the pone to factory default an restore your backup. I did it and it works.

Hmmmmmmmmm now I'm wondering if I should do a restore before having my battery replaced. &#129300; My battery the other day dropped 80% in the car while music and Pokemon was on. Could that be a software thing?

hopefully the 6s has reinforced home buttons without being able to swipe to unlock. And no I dont care if you can use touch id, swipe was fine. fuck you apple.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
what's the other way to invoke airplay? you mean straight from the corner of the video itself?

i always had to do that when streaming Safari video content.
Load up the video, close / switch the app, then resume (air)playing via the control center.

That was how you could 'play video / music in background while surfing in another tab' even before AirPlay
The other way is just tapping the Airplay symbol on the first page.
Havent used your way tbh, started using Airplay first last fall regulary and then it was already implemented in the other way.

mrkgoo

Hmmm. I just tried and I think you're right.

It's a testiment to how fast ne they can implement touch gestures. Thinking about it more it's probably because on some devices it invokes multitasking tray and don't want gestures colliding and also don't want to make gestures different between devices too much.

It doesn't affect me because I hardly ever go forward. I read a page and go back to choose something else. Harrell ever forward.

It does seem a bit disjointed though. What device are you using? I'm on an iPhone 5

iceatcs

There are few times Bluetooth drop out from my C.T.R.L. pad. The only way to reconnect by switch Bluetooth on/off.
So far haven't happened for a while, maybe it is my PC because been reboot early ago and I was playing Moonlight - Nvidia GameStream.

-griffy-

Banned
If I change my Siri voice to Australian or British, but keep the language to English (United States), will it affect how Siri understands me at all? Logic tells me no, but I found some conflicting stuff after a Google search.

If I change my Siri voice to Australian or British, but keep the language to English (United States), will it affect how Siri understands me at all? Logic tells me no, but I found some conflicting stuff after a Google search.

The "Language" setting in Siri seems to be new as of iOS 10, or at least I never noticed it before. I have Siri set to British female and I did have some problems in iOS 9 (sometimes I had to speak in a British accent haha); it's too soon to know how Language and Voice set differently will affect things, but my guess is Language was added to define the input method, and Voice is purely for the accent.

nampad

Bedtime did not work for me...resulting in me waking up 2 hours to late for work.
Fortunately, I have flexible hours and did not have any meeting that day.

mrkgoo

The "Language" setting in Siri seems to be new as of iOS 10, or at least I never noticed it before. I have Siri set to British female and I did have some problems in iOS 9 (sometimes I had to speak in a British accent haha); it's too soon to know how Language and Voice set differently will affect things, but my guess is Language was added to define the input method, and Voice is purely for the accent.

That's not new to iOS 10. I think maybe iOS 9. But you're right. Language is the input language. New Zealand English was added in iOS 9 I think which improved Siri understanding my accent. The output voice I have is australian, which is closest to my native - they don't have one for nz.

hopefully the 6s has reinforced home buttons without being able to swipe to unlock. And no I dont care if you can use touch id, swipe was fine. fuck you apple.

God, you people need to grow the hell up. What whining and entitlement. Everything is "fuck you Apple", really? There's like a billion fantastic changes, additions, and improvements in iOS10, yet you whiners find one thing you don't like (or, need 5 seconds to get used to) and you feel such hatred and rage towards Apple, to the point of "fuck you Apple".

Seriously, humanity doesn't even deserve this level of technology and convenience, with a shitty mentality like yours.

Bedtime did not work for me...resulting in me waking up 2 hours to late for work.

As in, the alarm was too soft, or it didn't go off at all? It's gone off every day since I installed, and on my 7 this morning. Maybe you didn't set it to work on weekends?

My problem with Bedtime is that if you go to bed late (and it knows more or less when you go to bed), it still wakes you up at the same time. I'd like a "sleep in" option on a per-day basis, so that in effect it extends the alarm time so I still get 8 hours.

That's not new to iOS 10. I think maybe iOS 9. But you're right. Language is the input language. New Zealand English was added in iOS 9 I think which improved Siri understanding my accent. The output voice I have is australian, which is closest to my native - they don't have one for nz.

Hm, well maybe it's that I couldn't use U.S. English input with British voice before, because when I upgraded to 10 the input was set to U.K. English. I didn't have an option to use U.S. English with a British voice in iOS 9, but I do now.

If you put the wakeup time as the same time as your alarm both will cancel each other out and no alarm will sound

wolf73

You have to start airplay in the music control tab in control center to get non-mirroring airplay now. Doesn't make any sense but at least it's there.
B2nLaqD.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom