• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number45

The Music widget only displays recently played from the music you have downloaded.

It took me a good 24 hours to figure this out
I'm seeing tracks that I've streamed as well as those downloaded.

EDIT: Wait, widget? Perhaps I'm not looking at the same thing.

Brakke

Banned
Yo I have a question about this new-fangled iOS: my lock screen now has a little greyed-out app icon on the bottom left. why is that there, and how can I make that go away forever?

Guess Who

Banned
Yo I have a question about this new-fangled iOS: my lock screen now has a little greyed-out app icon on the bottom left. why is that there, and how can I make that go away forever?

It's been there since iOS 8. It may be there for several reasons, usually related to either what devices you have around you (for instance, if you have Safari open on your Mac, you'll see the Safari icon on your phone's lock screen, and swiping up from that icon will open the same page that's open on your Mac) or where you are (for instance, the Apple Store app icon may appear if you are physically at the Apple Store).

I think turning off Handoff in Settings > General will get rid of it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Hmmm. I just tried and I think you're right.

It's a testiment to how fast ne they can implement touch gestures. Thinking about it more it's probably because on some devices it invokes multitasking tray and don't want gestures colliding and also don't want to make gestures different between devices too much.

It doesn't affect me because I hardly ever go forward. I read a page and go back to choose something else. Harrell ever forward.

It does seem a bit disjointed though. What device are you using? I'm on an iPhone 5
I'm trying on an iPad and an iPhone. I thought they figured that swiping in the middle was understood as the multitask panel, and anywhere above or below was fair game for safari. Now it seems they don't like that panel conflicting at all, even though it really didn't for me.

Has anyone tried the iTunes trick to free up space in 10 yet? The store keeps asking if I want to rent it, which it never did before, and I don't wanna waste four bucks.

I might just risk it...I had 1.3 gigs cleared so I could finally download the ios10 update today...and after it was done I had 148 mb. What the frank.

8byte

Banned
The way unlocking the phone is handled is so stupid. Unnecessary and screams of pushing users into new phones sooner rather than later.

Jeffrey

just noticed that you need quite a bit of stretch to get lockscreen camera open.

Like sliding from the middle of the screen to the left isn't enough 'force' to get the camera to open, unlike the opposite gets the widget menu open.

You need to be like 2/3 of the way to the right before you swipe left.

edit: or a really quick swipe from the middle works too.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I seemed to recall the ability to customize the buttons associated with the left/right swipe on locked screen notification in previous iOS. I want is to be able to trash my email on locked screen notification like before. Now with iOS 10, the option is just view or clear. Is there a way to change those swipe option to trash ? I'm talking of the basic Mail app. It used to be that if I swipe left, I believe the right most button allows me to trash the email.

Le-mo

Gaf, how do I import contacts from my sim card to my iPhone 7 Plus? I'm moving from android to iOS. When I go to contacts and select import SIM contacts I was given only two options, Yahoomail and Gmail.

That's the problem I'm experiencing. When I click on import contacts from SIM card I'm only given two options, import to Yahoomail or Gmail.

Do you have iCloud or any accounts set up for your contacts? I imagine that's what it's trying to do when it prompts you for Yahoo or Gmail. If you turn on iCloud syncing for Contacts, I bet that might go away. Just a wild guess though.

Le-mo

Do you have iCloud or any accounts set up for your contacts? I imagine that's what it's trying to do when it prompts you for Yahoo or Gmail. If you turn on iCloud syncing for Contacts, I bet that might go away. Just a wild guess though.
When I go to contacts I can see my gmail, yahoo and iCloud is set to sync with my contacts. My iCloud sync is on for contacts but it didn't fix the problem.

When I go to contacts I can see my gmail, yahoo and iCloud is set to sync with my contacts. My iCloud sync is on for contacts but it didn't fix the problem.

Turn off cloud contacts syncing for all three accounts, and try to import then. They should go straight to your phone itself. Then you can turn on iCloud and have them merge up there

Erebus

There are some sticker packs that don't seem to load in iMessage. They're all coming from apps (mainly games) that I had already installed before updating to iOS 10. Anyone know how to fix this?

e5VRGGX.jpg

Ashhong

Has anybody figured out exactly what the point of the fireball iMessages effect is?

Also are those blue dot wallpapers they advertise with the 7 not available anywhere?

hirokazu

There are some sticker packs that don't seem to load in iMessage. They're all coming from apps (mainly games) that I had already installed before updating to iOS 10. Anyone know how to fix this?

e5VRGGX.jpg
The iMessage extension for the Kayak app also seems to do nothing. I don't know if they released it broken or what. Maybe better just to remove it from your iMessage Apps.

hirokazu

Ugh that would be awesome if we could assign one app to that corner instead as a quick shortcut. Come on Apple!
In previous iOS, it would be apps for nearby stores, then they added Handover as well as a suggested app when you have external audio output connected, like Bluetooth or headphones.

iOS 10 seems to have turbocharged the feature so now it also gives suggestions based on time of day and location. It's really good now, huge improvement over the previous functionality. Seems a lot smarter and more versatile as-is than the user setting up a single app there as a shortcut.

mrkgoo

You can't get it back to how it worked in iOS 9 with the swipe to unlock. And not everyone has, or uses, Touch ID

I have an iPhone5, and I don't have Touch ID. Removal of the swip to unlock has to be one of the more difficult changes to get used to in iOS since its conception that I've come across. The muscle memory is strong.

That said, I'm getting there. It's not a huge deal.

jts

...hate me...
Came across an interesting bug.

Testing Siri 3rd party integration, I sent a Whatsapp message through it. Before it is sent, it shows a preview: "here is your Whatsapp message to ABXY. Should I send it?"

In that preview, the message bubble with my text is actually not displayed, when it clearly should. It's empty inside the preview. I took a screenshot to document the bug, and, to my surprise, in the screenshot the message is displayed!

What makes this bug so interesting is that never before I've seen a screenshot show differently from what it's displayed, even when there's some graphical glitch going on.

iOS 10 with iPhone 6s+

mrkgoo

Testing Siri 3rd party integration, I sent a Whatsapp message through it. Before it is sent, it shows a preview: "here is your Whatsapp message to ABXY. Should I send it?"

In that preview, the message bubble with my text is actually not displayed, when it clearly should. It's empty inside the preview. I took a screenshot to document the bug, and, to my surprise, in the screenshot the message is displayed!

What makes this bug so interesting is that never before I've seen a screenshot show differently from what it's displayed, even when there's some graphical glitch going on.

iOS 10 with iPhone 6s+

Wild, yeah, you'd expect the screenshot function to act not he very final step in the graphics pipeline such that it captures the very pixels of the display.

I have a question about the music player... what does the star that appears next to certain tracks (it's on my no1 tracks of any album I think I've acquired from iTunes) mean?

chrizzz09

iOS 10 with iPhone 6s+

Hmm strange, thats definitely a glitch or something. On my 5s it displays everything correctly.

Erebus

I really don't like how anyone can reply to your messages (even if they can't read them) from the lock screen without a password or Touch ID prompt. Isn't that a privacy issue? Can you disable it?

breakfuss

I really don't like how anyone can reply to your messages (even if they can't read them) from the lock screen without a password or Touch ID prompt. Isn't that a privacy issue? Can you disable it?

That does seem like a weird oversight. Sure you can't just disable them from popping up on the lock screen?

Quidam

Is there a way to make Safari remember where you were on a long YouTube video? I occasionally listen to podcasts uploaded to YouTube that are an hour long and every time I close Safari and reload it starts me from the beginning again. Frustrating.

CHC

Still not used to pressing home to unlock. Love when they change things that are completely established and functional for something that offers no benefit whatsoever!

Kreven

e5VRGGX.jpg

This was caused by updating Apps that added iMessage App support before upgrading to iOS 10.

The only 'fix' identified so far is to uninstall and reinstall the App. Worked on my end for the 5-6 apps that wouldn't load in iMessage.

e5VRGGX.jpg

Might just have to reinstall the app. None of my iMessage apps worked at first because I updated to the latest revs of some apps before I went to iOS 10 on my iPad Mini. When I uninstalled and reinstalled the apps that weren't working in iMessage, they started working..

SuperPac

Are you sure you hadn't already authenticated Touch ID on the lock screen? Like, now in iOS 10, on the lock screen it'll say "unlocked" at the top when it's read your finger but doesn't bring you to the home screen. Then you can do things like reply to notifications, initiate actions from widgets, etc without having to authenticate again. Because it already did it.

sangreal

I just tried this and could not read or reply to text. As previous poster said, I think you were on the unlocked home screen

Ugh that would be awesome if we could assign one app to that corner instead as a quick shortcut. Come on Apple!
It's powered by your usage patterns, do if you want to hand it just pump up usage of your chosen app in your chosen location.

But really I'd just leave it to intelligently give you the most relevant suggestions.

I seemed to recall the ability to customize the buttons associated with the left/right swipe on locked screen notification in previous iOS. I want is to be able to trash my email on locked screen notification like before. Now with iOS 10, the option is just view or clear. Is there a way to change those swipe option to trash ? I'm talking of the basic Mail app. It used to be that if I swipe left, I believe the right most button allows me to trash the email.
Force touch or long press?

Anyone else with a Bookmark issue? (Randomly all bookmarks are gone and you can't add any - the top bookmark is literally blank - but if you doubletap-close Safari-reopen, the bookmarks are all there again).

Happens on all my iOS10 devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom