• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erebus

This was caused by updating Apps that added iMessage App support before upgrading to iOS 10.

The only 'fix' identified so far is to uninstall and reinstall the App. Worked on my end for the 5-6 apps that wouldn't load in iMessage.

Might just have to reinstall the app. None of my iMessage apps worked at first because I updated to the latest revs of some apps before I went to iOS 10 on my iPad Mini. When I uninstalled and reinstalled the apps that weren't working in iMessage, they started working..

Well thanks. That fixed it!

Are you sure you hadn't already authenticated Touch ID on the lock screen? Like, now in iOS 10, on the lock screen it'll say "unlocked" at the top when it's read your finger but doesn't bring you to the home screen. Then you can do things like reply to notifications, initiate actions from widgets, etc without having to authenticate again. Because it already did it.

I just tried this and could not read or reply to text. As previous poster said, I think you were on the unlocked home screen

I just tried it again. You're right, when I chose to reply to an iMessage it prompted me to enter my password, that wasn't the case with FB Messenger however, which allowed me to reply from a locked home screen. I suspect this is because I have message previews enabled for the Messenger?

Rymuth

I don't understand the difference between the two Home button settings...in both instances, I have to double tsp the home button to unlock.

mackaveli

I think there's a bug in iOS 10 when replying to a text / iMessage from the lock screen. I occasionally see other messages that were sent to someone else. Once you close it you can't see it again. Its happened to be a couple of times.

My PSN message app keeps crashing when I try to open it.

Any solution to this? I get notification from people chatting but I can't even respond.

FerranMG

Is there a way to disable the "your iCloud account is running out of space" popups and e-mails?
They've been bothering me for months, now.

SuperPac

My PSN message app keeps crashing when I try to open it.

Any solution to this? I get notification from people chatting but I can't even respond.

Have you updated it recently? It was crashing for me on an iOS 10 beta but they fixed it with an update. If it's up to date, then delete it and redownload it. The PSN messenger app works for me on iOS 10.

Have you updated it recently? It was crashing for me on an iOS 10 beta but they fixed it with an update. If it's up to date, then delete it and redownload it. The PSN messenger app works for me on iOS 10.

Thanks I redownloaded it and now it works.

Man ios 10 is crap in my opinion, the new keyboard is stupid. I wanted to test out the touch image feature and why does it automatically send the image instead of letting me press send?

Also I hate the lockscreen, when I want to view my notification on the lockscreen the phone opens but when I want to open the phone it lets me view the lockscreen unlocked.

breakfuss

Is there a way to disable the "your iCloud account is running out of space" popups and e-mails?
They've been bothering me for months, now.

Would looooooove the answer to this as well. Almost tempted to just pay the $1/month so that the phone will stfu about my lack of space.

Ambitious

One side effect of the new unlock behavior is that whenever the Touch ID prompt shows up in other places than the lock screen (e.g. unlocking 1Password), I instinctively press the home button and consequently leave the app.

Is there a way to make Safari remember where you were on a long YouTube video? I occasionally listen to podcasts uploaded to YouTube that are an hour long and every time I close Safari and reload it starts me from the beginning again. Frustrating.
No, but there are many apps that let you listen to YouTube in the background. Search the app store for "YouTube listen" or try Pocket Tube or FreeTube.

FreeTube - Free Music Player for YouTube by sato hiroki
https://appsto.re/gb/ijjj6.i

Pocket Tube - Free Music Player by masayuki mieno
https://appsto.re/gb/ZY3nK.i

i'm regretting updating. it's still a buggy mess for me and it's taking longer to open certain apps and open the damn lock screen.

It's been pretty smooth for me but definitely some bad bugs. Contacts and iMessage will both sometimes just stop entirely, and the iCloud Bookmarks keep disappearing/reappearing. Almost want to start my phone from scratch to see if that fixes it but a lot of work to do if that's the case...

Jeffrey

Are there any 3rd party keyboards with force touch to navigate the cursor around? It's so good but I'm not a fan of the stock keyboard.

Anyone else with a Bookmark issue? (Randomly all bookmarks are gone and you can't add any - the top bookmark is literally blank - but if you doubletap-close Safari-reopen, the bookmarks are all there again).

Happens on all my iOS10 devices.

This happened to me recently before upgrading to iOS 10 so it isn't limited to the OS. I figured it was a one off cloud issue when it happened to me so I never thought more on it.

toohectic

Am I crazy or is there no way to turn airplay mirroring off?
There was some weird bug with AirPlay mirroring for me last night when I was attempting to AirPlay from the Amazon Video app on my iPad to my AppleTV. The first part of the video where an advertisement was playing was forcing the mirroring option. I kept trying to shut off the mirroring, but that would shutoff the AirPlay and return to playing on my iPad. However, once the ad was over and the movie started, I was able to AirPlay like normal just fine. I don't know if it's a particular flag with regard to the content, or a bug in the Amazon app, but I had never experienced anything like that before. I didn't try any other movies to see if they had the same outcome.

The Chef

There was some weird bug with AirPlay mirroring for me last night when I was attempting to AirPlay from the Amazon Video app on my iPad to my AppleTV. The first part of the video where an advertisement was playing was forcing the mirroring option. I kept trying to shut off the mirroring, but that would shutoff the AirPlay and return to playing on my iPad. However, once the ad was over and the movie started, I was able to AirPlay like normal just fine. I don't know if it's a particular flag with regard to the content, or a bug in the Amazon app, but I had never experienced anything like that before. I didn't try any other movies to see if they had the same outcome.

Huh, ok. I'll do some more playing around with it.

I really don't like what they've done to messages. I almost wish they had a separate interface for these gimmicks. I can't see ever using that weird-ass drawing thing, but that button is always going to be there.

toohectic

If you go to the music controls tab of the control panel instead of the main controls, the normal non-mirroring AirPlay option is there

That's kind of confusing to separate AirPlay into two areas. Is there some benefit to that design decision that I'm not seeing?

Apple music has such an annoying bug present currently. If you start playing an album and edit the 'up next' section and move/remove songs that you don't want to listen to currently, they'll get added back to the 'up next' playlist automatically and completely ruin your playlist.

Seems like such a small bug, but it's terribly annoying as I really used to enjoy the 'up next' playlist feature in iOS9's version of Apple Music :/

CHC

The lock screen is so awful, my god. Ugly ass proportions and chunky text on the clock, and the home button thing.... a quick double tap doesn't register, so you need to wait a sec, then hit it again. But if you hold too long, then voice control comes up! Yeah great move, slide-to-unlock didn't work at all right? This is what happens when you have 10,000 designers standing around looking for something to fix that isn't broken.

icespide

Banned
shouldn't you have to use a fingerprint or a passcode to respond to messages even from the lock screen? seems kind of bad that you can do that with no security

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The lock screen is so awful, my god. Ugly ass proportions and chunky text on the clock, and the home button thing.... a quick double tap doesn't register, so you need to wait a sec, then hit it again. But if you hold too long, then voice control comes up! Yeah great move, slide-to-unlock didn't work at all right? This is what happens when you have 10,000 designers standing around looking for something to fix that isn't broken.

Never have this problem. Been running ios 10 beta for about a month prior to release.

Also, you can put it back to the ios 9 unlock style if you go to accessibility -> home button -> rest to open.

shouldn't you have to use a fingerprint or a passcode to respond to messages even from the lock screen? seems kind of bad that you can do that with no security
You have to use your fingerprint to reply on my phone. You must have some sort of setting or be mistaken. If you put your finger on the sensor before you go to the notification you will unlock the phone and still be on the lock screen. If the icon at the top of the screen is an open lock you already put your finger over the sensor. It's really fast so sometimes it seems like you didn't authenticate but you did.

gruenel

The new lock screen was clearly designed with Touch ID in mind.

mrkgoo

A lot of "ugly" is subjective and more often than not just a sideways change, rather than anything else.

It's not about whether slide-to-unlock was not working, but rather, that it was becoming less necessary. the very first iPhone had it because it was a way to prevent spurious touches from getting in to your main phone screen while in your pocket. That evolved to being a security thing from prevented unwanted access. With the advent of Touch ID, it has become less necessary.

I know, I know, not everyone has or uses Touch ID. I don't. I'm on an iPhone 5 which makes the double click to unlock even more questionable, but i'm like whatever - I'm getting used to it.

Ghazi

A lot of "ugly" is subjective and more often than not just a sideways change, rather than anything else.

It's not about whether slide-to-unlock was not working, but rather, that it was becoming less necessary. the very first iPhone had it because it was a way to prevent spurious touches from getting in to your main phone screen while in your pocket. That evolved to being a security thing from prevented unwanted access. With the advent of Touch ID, it has become less necessary.

I know, I know, not everyone has or uses Touch ID. I don't. I'm on an iPhone 5 which makes the double click to unlock even more questionable, but i'm like whatever - I'm getting used to it.
I have a 6S and Touch ID working has a 50/50 chance for me. Let's not pretend like it's amazing.

I have a 6S and Touch ID working has a 50/50 chance for me. Let's not pretend like it's amazing.

The first-gen Touch ID in the 5s and iPad Pro is trash. It basically won't recognize my fingerprints (I know others have better results). The 2nd-gen Touch ID in the 6s was much improved; probably a 50-75% success rate for me depending on how dry my hands are. The 7 seems to be even better (even though it has the same 2nd-gen sensor) and locks on my print faster when it does recognize it. It's almost instantaneous most of the time.

Obviously this is tech interacting with biology, so people are going to have different experiences. But your experiences sound similar to mine, so you might check out a 7 at the Apple Store.

ramyeon

Touch ID on my 6S works 99% of the time.

Only time it really fails me is if my finger is wet when I'm out on a rainy day or situations like that.

I mean, it even works when I do it on weird angles with secondary fingers I've scanned in.

It's pretty much perfect at its current iteration imo.

Link

The Autumn Wind
You might want to get your phone looked at. I have a 6 and the only time Touch ID doesn't work the first time is if my finger is wet.

CHC

I'm on an iPhone 5 which makes the double click to unlock even more questionable, but i'm like whatever - I'm getting used to it.

Well yeah, I mean I guess I'm getting used to it too.... but it's stupid I have to "get used" to anything when I've been using an iPhone for 4+ years without major complaint. Especially when its in service of a feature I've never been remotely interested in.

Plus the sliding feature to go to messages sucks badly now, half the time it takes me to the app, half the time it just slides over to that new screen instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom