• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffrey

i still don't get why the font for lockscreen is humongous and bolded while everything else OS wise is quite small on the plus. Like iOS goes for even smaller default dpi than what most android phones do.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Well yeah, I mean I guess I'm getting used to it too.... but it's stupid I have to "get used" to anything when I've been using an iPhone for 4+ years without major complaint. Especially when its in service of a feature I've never been remotely interested in.

Plus the sliding feature to go to messages sucks badly now, half the time it takes me to the app, half the time it just slides over to that new screen instead.
What phone do you have?

On the 7 and 6s you can force press a message and respond right there.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Plus the sliding feature to go to messages sucks badly now, half the time it takes me to the app, half the time it just slides over to that new screen instead.
I was having this problem at first too. You have to slide from the middle of the notification as opposed to the messages icon like it used to work.

mrkgoo

Well yeah, I mean I guess I'm getting used to it too.... but it's stupid I have to "get used" to anything when I've been using an iPhone for 4+ years without major complaint. Especially when its in service of a feature I've never been remotely interested in.

The only way no-one has "to get used" to anything is to never change anything.

CHC

What phone do you have?

On the 7 and 6s you can force press a message and respond right there.

SE

I was having this problem at first too. You have to slide from the middle of the notification as opposed to the messages icon like it used to work.

Yeah, that's exactly the problem. Kind of counter intuitive.

The only way no-one has "to get used" to anything is to never change anything.

My wording was perhaps a little strong. I'm all for changing things for the better, but so much of tech culture revolves around changing things for no reason whatsoever. Slide-to-unlock wasn't particularly better or worse than double tapping the home button, but it didn't need to be changed and it's just an annoying adjustment to make on a device you look at 50+ times a day.

TouchID has been good from the beginning.

On the 6S it was too fast.

I think they changed the unlocking system so there's always widgets on your left no matter the screen

br3wnor

I have a 6S and Touch ID working has a 50/50 chance for me. Let's not pretend like it's amazing.

That's weird, I have 6s+ and unlock my phone with touchID so I use it probably 50 times a day for 9 months now and it works pretty much every time and works instantly. Very very rare I have an issue and it's usually cuz my finger is wet or something

Add me to the Touch ID is inconsistent pile.

It's weird though, it's only inconsistent unlocking the phone. Using it in apps or even for Apple Pay never has any issues, but it works maybe 7 out of 10 times on the lock screen.

fwiw I have an iPhone 6.

DOWN

Banned
Is there no way to view song history in Music anymore? Scrolling up in the Up Next list used to show a long list of song's previously played.

It's different than recently played in that it goes back a hundred or more songs

toohectic

TouchID has been fantastic for me on both my iPhone 6 and my iPad Pro. As others have said, a wet finger or a dirty home button is usually the culprit if there ever is a failed read. Otherwise I'd consider it to be virtually a 100% success ratio. For those that it routinely fails, do you have a protective skin on top of the home button, or is the skin on your thumb callus-like or feature something like a scar?

Vyer

TouchID is outstanding, and always has been for me. That jump from the first gen to the second was one of those 'holy shit' moments though.

SaiyanRaoh

I have a jailbroken iPhone 5s that is currently used an iPod since I upgraded phones. Obviously, I'll lose the jailbreak and cydia after going to iOS 10 but I have a question. My by far used and most valuable app is Cercube 3. It completely blocks Youtube ads and allows me to download any video. It even allows me to import audio converted from video to the music playlist. It's the only thing preventing me from upgrading. Are there any non jailbroken apps out there that will allow me to do this?

icespide

Banned
i'm a freak and have weirdly moist hands. touch id was very hit or miss on the 5S and the 6 for me. on the 6S and the 7 it's nearly flawless

i'm a freak and have weirdly moist hands. touch id was very hit or miss on the 5S and the 6 for me. on the 6S and the 7 it's nearly flawless

The 5s and my iPad Pro basically don't work for me. I exchanged two 5s and it was the same. These sensors just don't work well with certain fingerprints. The 6s got quite a bit better though, and the 7 has been fantastic so far. Not perfect, but more like 90%.

Here's my "weird" thing though... sometimes the screen will trigger a touch when my finger is above the screen, not touching it. I don't know if this is common or I just have a really lame mutant power.

icespide

Banned
The 5s and my iPad Pro basically don't work for me. I exchanged two 5s and it was the same. These sensors just don't work well with certain fingerprints. The 6s got quite a bit better though, and the 7 has been fantastic so far. Not perfect, but more like 90%.

Here's my "weird" thing though... sometimes the screen will trigger a touch when my finger is above the screen, not touching it. I don't know if this is common or I just have a really lame mutant power.
weirdly enough the touch id on my ipad pro works pretty well. maybe i just use my ipad in less moist scenarios. that's a weird sentence

weirdly enough the touch id on my ipad pro works pretty well. maybe i just use my ipad in less moist scenarios. that's a weird sentence

Ha yeah it sounds like yours is just specific case kind of thing. With me, the 1st-gen Touch ID sensor just hates my fingerprints, period. All of them. I can't wait for the next iPad Pro update so I can actually use the Touch ID.

Rootbeer

Banned

Yup. They updated the tech in the 6S line. I now have a 7 Plus and it's just as good as the 6S, if not even faster (hard to tell cause it was already really fast), also I have it paired to four different fingers and it matches them perfectly every time

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
What? But I have never seen that app shortcut on my 6, ever.

That setting isn't showing up for me in iOS 10. Did it get moved? I'm not getting suggested apps either

On my phone, I don't see anything after "Use Cellular Data". I do actually remember turning it off years ago because I didn't want the suggested apps widget. But now I want it!

App suggestions based on usage history and location is now Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > Location-Based Suggestions

TouchID has been fantastic for me on both my iPhone 6 and my iPad Pro. As others have said, a wet finger or a dirty home button is usually the culprit if there ever is a failed read. Otherwise I'd consider it to be virtually a 100% success ratio. For those that it routinely fails, do you have a protective skin on top of the home button, or is the skin on your thumb callus-like or feature something like a scar?

For those who suffer from somewhat excessively greasy skin, TouchID can be a total nightmare - requiring a quick wipe down of both the home button and your finger before it will register.

dock

What is the best option to allow different notification sounds for emails from different accounts? Right now we're using a different app entirely (Gmail I think) for one account to get a different sound, but it seems like this should be something easier to customise.

Daffy Duck

God I hate the new keyboard, I liked on the old iOS how when you chose a punctuation mark it would return back to the ABC keyboard, now i have to press that myself.

The little things that ruin the experience the most.

giga

God I hate the new keyboard, I liked on the old iOS how when you chose a punctuation mark it would return back to the ABC keyboard, now i have to press that myself.

The little things that ruin the experience the most.

It goes back to the ABC keyboard in messages, so I'm assuming it's a bug in Safari.

pbsapeer

Banned
My 6s just switched off with 12% battery and my wife's switched off at 52%. Wouldn't switch on until it was physically plugged into a power supply. What gives?

hirokazu

My 6s just switched off with 12% battery and my wife's switched off at 52%. Wouldn't switch on until it was physically plugged into a power supply. What gives?

My sister brought hers in today because the battery would sometimes switch off at 30%. Usually that's the battery degrading so she expected them to have the battery replaced.

Instead, the Genius Bar guy said they've found that often they replace batteries on iPhones to find the problem persists and they believe it could be a problem with the power management system. Which would require them to replace the entire phone.

I thought "Okaaaay, first I've heard of it, but you're the genius!" As long as you're replacing it under warranty!

"Well, it wouldn't be under Apple Warranty since that's only one year, but it would be covered under Australian Consumer Law." Goddamn Apple support is amazing sometimes. Usually you have to argue and fight with consumer electronics companies to get them comply with consumer warranty law.

Can someone explain this stupid new click to unlock thing?
With the old OS I could unlock from a black screen just by clicking be home button as the new Touch ID was so fast on my 6S.

Now that no longer works and I have to click it twice for it to unlock.
Not to mention the fact that I actually have to click the home button instead of just placing it on the home button.

Edit: Nvm. I guess this is a feature under accessibility that I need to enable and isn't on by default.

TouchID is working great for me. I don't know what this double tap to unlock jazz is about. It just seems like they offered a new way to interact with lock screen widgets.

Clicking the home button unlocks the phone just as fast as it did before this update. If you raise to wake or press Power to wake, it's still just one real press of the home button.

I'm on a 6SP so maybe it's different with the non-physical home button.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
With the old OS I could unlock from a black screen just by clicking be home button as the new Touch ID was so fast on my 6S.

Not to mention the fact that I actually have to click the home button instead of just placing it on the home button.

Edit: Nvm. I guess this is a feature under accessibility that I need to enable and isn't on by default.

it all makes sense when you have a 6s (lift to wake), and then later a 7 (no physical home button)

the sooner people adjust to it now, the less jaunting it will be when they upgrade to a 7. and I am guessing the iPhone 8, which will almost certainly have no home button.

SuperPac

You can still unlock a 6S and 7 just from clicking the home button (unless I changed a setting and I'm not realizing it). If you wake the phone by clicking the home button just leave your finger on there, and it unlocks. I don't have Rest Finger on Home Button enabled in Accessibility.

Deku Tree

I been getting a lot of "no service" messages at the top of my screeen on my att 6+ recently. I don't remember getting that so often on iOS9 in the same locations.

pbsapeer

Banned
My sister brought hers in today because the battery would sometimes switch off at 30%. Usually that's the battery degrading so she expected them to have the battery replaced.

Instead, the Genius Bar guy said they've found that often they replace batteries on iPhones to find the problem persists and they believe it could be a problem with the power management system. Which would require them to replace the entire phone.

I thought "Okaaaay, first I've heard of it, but you're the genius!" As long as you're replacing it under warranty!

"Well, it wouldn't be under Apple Warranty since that's only one year, but it would be covered under Australian Consumer Law." Goddamn Apple support is amazing sometimes. Usually you have to argue and fight with consumer electronics companies to get them comply with consumer warranty law.
Spoke to apple and they want me to make sure it's not software and want me to wipe my phone and don't install any apps and see if it happens again... not exactly the easiest thing to do as I use my phone for lots of things...

I just discovered you can set the Colour Blind filter to the home button shortcut, so you can triple click it to toggle it off and on without having to dig around the settings.

Ashhong

Spoke to apple and they want me to make sure it's not software and want me to wipe my phone and don't install any apps and see if it happens again... not exactly the easiest thing to do as I use my phone for lots of things...

Man, I've been having this issue for a long ass time and was just about to take it into Apple. I better not have to pay up for some power management system. This was an issue in the 5 as well and they did a recall on certain batteries. That fixed the issue just fine. I just did a restore and am recalibrating the battery before I go and get the service.

jstripes

Banned
Add me to the Touch ID is inconsistent pile.

It's weird though, it's only inconsistent unlocking the phone. Using it in apps or even for Apple Pay never has any issues, but it works maybe 7 out of 10 times on the lock screen.

fwiw I have an iPhone 6.

Maybe I have oily skin, but I often have to wipe the sensor to get it to work.

Erebus

2 days after updating my iPhone 6 and the battery is still noticable worse with iOS 10. You'd think my phone has done indexing etc at this point.

I keep getting this weird sign in bug with my email and even my iCloud accounts. At the strangest times the device will just start asking for the password, sometimes repeatedly. The iCloud one was weird because I was technically offline and I was listening to a personally owned audiobook, not one I bought, so I don't know what the system was trying to validate.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Urgh, still lame that siri still can't do basic stuff that google now was able to for a while, like set repeating alarms.
The bedtime alarm has a repeat function that you can set to whatever days of the week you'd like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom