• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think his point was he can't get Siri to do it.

That's because when you ask Siri to set up an alarm, it is merely a conduit to the Alarm feature in the Clock app, which doesn't support repeating alarms. I haven't tried to see if you can access Bedtime features from Siri though.

sangreal

That's because when you ask Siri to set up an alarm, it is merely a conduit to the Alarm feature in the Clock app, which doesn't support repeating alarms. I haven't tried to see if you can access Bedtime features from Siri though.

I don't know what 'bedtime features' are but the clock app absolutely supports repeating alarms

e: under 'alarm', not whatever this new bedtime option is

hirokazu

Except the Clock app has supported repeating alarms since forever.

I don't know what 'bedtime features' are but the clock app absolutely supports repeating alarms

e: under 'alarm', not whatever this new bedtime option is

Huh, my bad. I've been using and modifying the same alarms for so long, I never noticed.

Okay, so I just asked Siri, "Add an alarm for 7 AM that repeats every day" and that's exactly what she did.

DOWN

Banned
Confused: if you tell bedtime to be active only Monday, Wednesday, Thursday - does that mean it actually wakes you up Tues/Thurs/Fri? But the actual bedtime alert is at night on the days you selected?

DOWN

Banned
How does Bedtime do it's analysis tho? It has a graph but doesn't explain how it tracks what you actually did, independent of when the alarms were set

TimFL

Confused: if you tell bedtime to be active only Monday, Wednesday, Thursday - does that mean it actually wakes you up Tues/Thurs/Fri? But the actual bedtime alert is at night on the days you selected?
Nope, I have it on over the weekend and it's inactive there. That also means it wont track any sleep.

How does Bedtime do it's analysis tho? It has a graph but doesn't explain how it tracks what you actually did, independent of when the alarms were set
AFAIK it checks your phones motion processor to determine whether you're "in bed" or not. If you use your phone you are awake, if you don't you are flagged as asleep.

Fliesen

AFAIK it checks your phones motion processor to determine whether you're "in bed" or not. If you use your phone you are awake, if you don't you are flagged as asleep.

and if i don't carry my phone around during the evening hours? i wonder if it's smart enough to check whether or not i'm wearing my AppleWatch.

Like, if i'm still building up that red activity ring - i'm obviously not in bed yet.

Girlfriend's sister won't update her 6S Plus to iOS 10 because it "they made it look like Android". I told her she'd have to update eventually and she said, and I quote: "Not until they make an update that makes it look like an iPhone again 🙂"

gblues

Banned
Holy hell I am pretty impressed with iOS 10. Apple managed to squeeze out some performance gains from the 6 plus which is notably memory-starved.

Ashhong

I restored my iPhone after upgrading using an iCloud Backup. I am using iCloud photo library. How do I get all of the original high resolution photos to download? I want to turn off photo library but it says 125 photos did not download and will be lost. I even scrolled through every photo making sure they all loaded

I restored my iPhone after upgrading using an iCloud Backup. I am using iCloud photo library. How do I get all of the original high resolution photos to download? I want to turn off photo library but it says 125 photos did not download and will be lost. I even scrolled through every photo making sure they all loaded

When you go to the bottom of the photos app does it say diwnliaded or updated? Is your iCloud Photo Library set to download and store originals?

subrock

Girlfriend's sister won't update her 6S Plus to iOS 10 because it "they made it look like Android". I told her she'd have to update eventually and she said, and I quote: "Not until they make an update that makes it look like an iPhone again 🙂"
I'm not even sure what that means, or even if I could understand why it would matter even if they did. She'll update once all of her friends start chucking the Messages nonsense around.

Fliesen

send her a sticker and a digital touch drawing - if she asks you why you're sending her ugly huge ass images that don't move, show her how it looks on your phone!

I'm not even sure what that means, or even if I could understand why it would matter even if they did. She'll update ones all of her friends start chucking the Messages nonsense around.

send her a sticker and a digital touch drawing - if she asks you why you're sending her ugly huge ass images that don't move, show her how it looks on your phone!

My girlfriend has tried and she's truly holding out. I have no clue what she means by it either, I gave up

Separate issue: I can't get my Apple TV to send my iPhone 7 keyboard notifications when on a text entry screen. It used to be an option and now I can't even find it in notification settings anymore. How can I get that back?

Fliesen

My girlfriend has tried and she's truly holding out. I have no clue what she means by it either, I gave up

Separate issue: I can't get my Apple TV to send my iPhone 7 keyboard notifications when on a text entry screen. It used to be an option and now I can't even find it in notification settings anymore. How can I get that back?

huh? you mean, when you entered a text input box on your appleTV, your phone would somehow be notified and offer you to open the remote app for text entry? That's kinda nifty - if that is what you mean.

The new appleTV remote app was just updated today, have you tried that?

huh? you mean, when you entered a text input box on your appleTV, your phone would somehow be notified and offer you to open the remote app for text entry? That's kinda nifty - if that is what you mean.

The new appleTV remote app was just updated today, have you tried that?

Yes, it happened on the beta and the AppleTV keyboard was listed in my notification settings. I just restored my AppleTV and deleted/reinstalled the app and can't get it to come back

To be honest it barely ever worked but I was hoping it got more reliable out of beta

What you described is exactly how it worked

ramyeon

My sister brought hers in today because the battery would sometimes switch off at 30%. Usually that's the battery degrading so she expected them to have the battery replaced.

Instead, the Genius Bar guy said they've found that often they replace batteries on iPhones to find the problem persists and they believe it could be a problem with the power management system. Which would require them to replace the entire phone.

I thought "Okaaaay, first I've heard of it, but you're the genius!" As long as you're replacing it under warranty!

"Well, it wouldn't be under Apple Warranty since that's only one year, but it would be covered under Australian Consumer Law." Goddamn Apple support is amazing sometimes. Usually you have to argue and fight with consumer electronics companies to get them comply with consumer warranty law.
I had the same issue. Took it in last week and they just replaced it with a new one right away. Was under warranty though since I bought it on launch day (6S).

Ashhong

When you go to the bottom of the photos app does it say diwnliaded or updated? Is your iCloud Photo Library set to download and store originals?

It says updated, and yes it's set to download. Tried toggling to manage storage and back to downloads, same thing.

holygeesus

Banned
Yeah really liking this update so far, although I have one gripe - when I receive a message and respond to it on the lock-screen, by swiping left, these messages appear separate from conversations in iMessage, even if sent by the same person. It really should throw up the whole conversation thread as it is confusing otherwise.

and if i don't carry my phone around during the evening hours? i wonder if it's smart enough to check whether or not i'm wearing my AppleWatch.

Like, if i'm still building up that red activity ring - i'm obviously not in bed yet.

It does seem to use the Apple Watch. I was up past my set bedtime, had my phone laying there, but my Watch was on. When I finally went to bed, that's when it started recording. I was surprised it didn't screw that up.

Yes, it happened on the beta and the AppleTV keyboard was listed in my notification settings. I just restored my AppleTV and deleted/reinstalled the app and can't get it to come back

To be honest it barely ever worked but I was hoping it got more reliable out of beta

What you described is exactly how it worked

That's awesome, never knew that was a feature. I wonder if that's a Handoff feature? I guess it'd be using BTLE if so. How far are you physically from the ATV?

Fliesen

It does seem to use the Apple Watch. I was up past my set bedtime, had my phone laying there, but my Watch was on. When I finally went to bed, that's when it started recording. I was surprised it didn't screw that up.

That's awesome, never knew that was a feature. I wonder if that's a Handoff feature? I guess it'd be using BTLE if so. How far are you physically from the ATV?

i suppose bedtime simply hooks into the same framework as health and the activity app do.

And i wasn't aware of that feature either (i knew you could enter text via the remote app, but i didn't know there was this kind of handoff functionality)
i guess i'll test it with my appleTV when i get home from work.

Don't get too excited guys. Like I said it worked once during the beta, and now it seems like all evidence has been scrubbed from existence

Here's a photo I took of my notifications settings on my 6S Plus before I got my 7. I can't get it back

bmRl5JG.jpg

Fliesen

Don't get too excited guys. Like I said it worked once during the beta, and now it seems like all evidence has been scrubbed from existence

Here's a photo I took of my notifications settings on my 6S Plus before I got my 7. I can't get it back

bmRl5JG.jpg

that's weird, seeing as the app itself is even called "appleTV remote keyboard" here, whereas it's called "remote" now.
must've been some beta-only test run

Anyone having an issue with Bluetooth devices not becoming the default 'speaker' automatically? I have a Bluetooth-aux adapter for my car, and on my 6S Plus (which I never upgraded to iOS 10), when I turned on the adapter, the phone automatically connected and made it the default device.

With the iPhone 7, after connecting, I have to go through the control center and manually change the speaker output to the Bluetooth device. It's not a huge deal, but it is a small extra step that is kind of annoying.

EDIT: I'm assuming it's a iOS 10 thing and not a iPhone 7 thing.

I enrolled in the beta program (but didn't actually download iOS10) and I'm only getting the Public beta 7 option not the official iOS 10. Anyone know what's up?

Ashhong

Anyone having an issue with Bluetooth devices not becoming the default 'speaker' automatically? I have a Bluetooth-aux adapter for my car, and on my 6S Plus (which I never upgraded to iOS 10), when I turned on the adapter, the phone automatically connected and made it the default device.

With the iPhone 7, after connecting, I have to go through the control center and manually change the speaker output to the Bluetooth device. It's not a huge deal, but it is a small extra step that is kind of annoying.

EDIT: I'm assuming it's a iOS 10 thing and not a iPhone 7 thing.

Nope. In fact just yesterday I was listening to a song on speaker, turned on my car and it instantly went to the Bluetooth adapter. Try repairing the Bluetooth?

jts

...hate me...
I couldn't resist finally jumping the gun on Philips Hue lights after wanting them for so long. iOS 10 Homekit integration just made it too tempting, and I also got a smart wallplug as well. RIP wallet.

Anyway, the lights are lovely but the Homekit experience is not without its bumps. Anyone here on Homekit?

I've come to the conclusion I hate the redesign in Apple Music for iOS 10.

Playlists look like shit with the "add to library" button present. Why should that be there when I implicitly selected the setting to NOT have my playlist tracks added to my library. Now one inadvertent tap and a single is added to my library.

The stutter when I try to drag the now playing window down is annoying. Spotify doesn't do this. So I know my phone is capable of handling this gracefully.

The Bluetooth audio bug is a slap in the face since I'm getting my headphone jack removed. I can cope with the latter, but the former really needs to be fixed.

I do love the Widget and notification changes. Those are amazing.

Downloading multiple movies and songs simultaneously still lead to download errors. This has been a longstanding issue on iOS.

On the lock screen sliding to open the camera doesn't work half the time. Have to swipe two and three times to get the camera to open.

Not to mention the entire OS freezing until I lock -> unlock the phone. (Got this issue about 10 times so far)

Ashhong

I couldn't resist finally jumping the gun on Philips Hue lights after wanting them for so long. iOS 10 Homekit integration just made it too tempting, and I also got a smart wallplug as well. RIP wallet.

Anyway, the lights are lovely but the Homekit experience is not without its bumps. Anyone here on Homekit?

You should get an Amazon dot!

DOWN

Banned
Nope, I have it on over the weekend and it's inactive there. That also means it wont track any sleep.

The verdict is that I'm pretty sure it just starts counting from the last time you locked your devices coinciding with bedtime. So if bedtime was 12:55, but you don't lock the screen until 1:10, it says you went to sleep at 1:10.

The most popular app for precise analysis is Sleep Cycle but it seems to only extract health data for the Health app, rather than inputs it's own data in there? I like it since it uses the microphone to track your sleep rather than requiring the accelerometer to be on the bed

EDIT: Apparently it takes 15 nights for Sleep Cycle to begin writing its data to Health.

I asked this a few pages back, but got no response so imma give it another go.

Does the iTunes trick of renting a movie too big for your device as a means to clear up memory still work? I had 1.3 gb free before the install, and now afterwards, I'm down to a sweet 148 mb.

Overall though....I'm not that keen on iOS10. I dislike the new control center, not a fan of notification bubbles (which were not going away on their own today -_- ), not a fan of the lock screen notifications, and a few other quibbles. Thanks in advance for any help.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I'm pretty bitter now that they don't utilize long hold more for phones without 3D Touch..jerks

because they can't implement long hold system wide.. it's sort of "damned if you do, damned if you don't". if they implemented long hold in some first party apps in a uniform way (like 3D touch), people would expect it to work uniformly in third party apps also (which apple can't do... abscond with long touch at the UI level). If they don't.. well then they give people with 3D Touch a leg up in many cases (like now).

Good news is that by iPhone 8, there will probably be more 3D Touch phones in active use than not (kind of like 64-bit is now)

glad to see they made improvements to sleep. I now see that as long as I unlock my phone as soon as I wake up, it shuts down today's alarm and marks my actual sleep. also reading here about when it starts sleep. and they let me shutdown sleep on specific days. I didn't find sleep very useful in the beta, but can actually work with what we have now.

I've come to the conclusion I hate the redesign in Apple Music for iOS 10.

Playlists look like shit with the "add to library" button present. Why should that be there when I implicitly selected the setting to NOT have my playlist tracks added to my library. Now one inadvertent tap and a single is added to my library.

The stutter when I try to drag the now playing window down is annoying. Spotify doesn't do this. So I know my phone is capable of handling this gracefully.

I have no stutter on my 7, but yeah it shouldn't be stuttering for anyone. My biggest problem with Music is that there's no single area with all the playback controls. If I want to be able to go backwards in an album/playlist, I have to open the dumb player card (with playback controls squeezed against the volume because some designer wanted huge album art). If I want to actually see individual songs, I have to close the player card. I've found myself constantly opening and closing that player and it's getting really annoying, especially when I have to wait for the animation every time.

I just want Apple Music to be a separate thing from my own library of music. There's no way I'll ever trust them not to fuck up my music after all the horror stories I've heard, so currently that means I lose out on most of AM's features – I can't add songs to my devices, I can't add playlists, I can't even make cloud playlists. All I can do is stream.

Still, overall I think the Music app is way easier to use than the one in iOS 9. Things are mostly logically organized and easy to navigate.

Guess Who

Banned
I just want Apple Music to be a separate thing from my own library of music. There's no way I'll ever trust them not to fuck up my music after all the horror stories I've heard, so currently that means I lose out on most of AM's features – I can't add songs to my devices, I can't add playlists, I can't even make cloud playlists. All I can do is stream.

On this note: when I tried out Apple Music when it first launched, it totally fucked my music library in horrible ways, but apparently they recently changed Apple Music's matching algorithm to use iTunes Match's, and thus use audio fingerprinting to match songs rather than just metadata. I bought a month of Apple Music this month and gave it another try, and the matching actually worked fine. No issues so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom