• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
the horror stories came down to tag matching, and altering tags on "best available" match.............

anywho, they switched to iTunes Match fingerprint matching, and they don't adjust the tags (including album art) any longer.

so overall, while it still isn't flawless, it is MUCH MUCH improved from when Music launched. The worst you should see now is stuff not uploaded/matched at all (requiring you to try and get it uploaded again), or my biggest oddity, where like 7 songs from an album are matched, but one is uploaded. this one usually comes down to a combination of ripped CDs with gapless tracks in a continuous piece (a lot of concept albums and/or prog rock :p )

Does it still replace your files with store versions? I have quite a bit of ripped lossless tracks. I also have music which is not available in the store. I don't know, after 10 years of assembling my iTunes library, it makes me reeeeeally nervous. I mean I have backups of everything, so I guess I could take a chance.

Does it still replace your files with store versions? I have quite a bit of ripped lossless tracks. I also have music which is not available in the store. I don't know, after 10 years of assembling my iTunes library, it makes me reeeeeally nervous. I mean I have backups of everything, so I guess I could take a chance.

It will only match with a 256 AAC version, yes. If you want lossless on your phone the only way to do it is by syncing with a wire like you do now

If you're talking about what's on your computer, it will never ever replace any files. It will match your lossless with the store versions in the cloud but not replace the originals in your computer

Guess Who

Banned

It doesn't replace the files on your Mac/PC iTunes library, but any matched songs will download the store versions on other devices, yes. Any songs not in the store will just upload your copy.

DopeToast

Banned
Hey, GAF. If anyone can help me or has any idea what is going on with my phone I would to hear it.

I have an iPhone 6, and it is a fairly new one that I got a few months ago when my old one had a broken microphone under warranty. So last night I updated to iOS 10 (without researching it, which I now completely regret). I plugged the phone into the wall and updated over WiFi. When it turned back on the screen was blank and voiceover was on. I did some researching and found out how to turn on and off the "screen curtain" which should supposedly turn the display back on. The voiceover indicates that screen curtain has been turned off or on, but there is still nothing on the display. I reset the phone to factory settings on iTunes three times, once while in a live chat with Apple support. No luck. I have an appt. tomorrow at the Apple Store and am going to try to walk in today. Anyone have any idea what might be going on? I've done fairly extensive Googling and can't find this particular issue. I had no issues with the phone prior to updating.

Also, if I'm out of warranty, is this something they will fix for free? It would seem like they should since it's due entirely (I think) to the update bugging up my phone. Any help or advice would be great.

tldr: display is blank after iOS update; voiceover is on, screen curtain function is not working as intended; help

Hey, GAF. If anyone can help me or has any idea what is going on with my phone I would to hear it.

I have an iPhone 6, and it is a fairly new one that I got a few months ago when my old one had a broken microphone under warranty. So last night I updated to iOS 10 (without researching it, which I now completely regret). I plugged the phone into the wall and updated over WiFi. When it turned back on the screen was blank and voiceover was on. I did some researching and found out how to turn on and off the "screen curtain" which should supposedly turn the display back on. The voiceover indicates that screen curtain has been turned off or on, but there is still nothing on the display. I reset the phone to factory settings on iTunes three times, once while in a live chat with Apple support. No luck. I have an appt. tomorrow at the Apple Store and am going to try to walk in today. Anyone have any idea what might be going on? I've done fairly extensive Googling and can't find this particular issue. I had no issues with the phone prior to updating.

Also, if I'm out of warranty, is this something they will fix for free? It would seem like they should since it's due entirely (I think) to the update bugging up my phone. Any help or advice would be great.

tldr: display is blank after iOS update; voiceover is on, screen curtain function is not working as intended; help

If you reset the phone to factory settings there's no way it's the update, that would have been fixed. Your warranty status is either the original warranty (one year from the original date of purchase) or 90 from the last swap, whichever one is longer

DopeToast

Banned
If you reset the phone to factory settings there's no way it's the update, that would have been fixed. Your warranty status is either the original warranty (one year from the original date of purchase) or 90 from the last swap, whichever one is longer

Then what could have possibly caused this issue? It doesn't make sense that it would be a hardware issue since it didn't appear until immediately after updating.

And yeah, I think I should be covered from the 90 day swap.

It will only match with a 256 AAC version, yes. If you want lossless on your phone the only way to do it is by syncing with a wire like you do now

If you're talking about what's on your computer, it will never ever replace any files. It will match your lossless with the store versions in the cloud but not replace the originals in your computer

It doesn't replace the files on your Mac/PC iTunes library, but any matched songs will download the store versions on other devices, yes. Any songs not in the store will just upload your copy.

Gotcha, thanks. My biggest concern is touching files or metadata in my Mac's master library, so that's good. When you turn it on, does it download your whole library to every device, or can you control what is downloaded?

Gotcha, thanks. My biggest concern is touching files or metadata in my Mac's master library, so that's good. When you turn it on, does it download your whole library to every device, or can you control what is downloaded?

It gives you a cloud copy of all your stuff. The cloud library is composed of: store-matched versions and uploaded songs and iTunes purchased songs. On your other devices you'll be able to see everything in your cloud library, and you can stream everything and download what you want

Guess Who

Banned

It gives you the option whether you want to automatically download everything or manually tell it what to download. You can tell it whether to free up stuff when your iOS device is low on space, you can tell it to keep a minimum of 0/4/8/16/32GB of music when clearing older stuff out, and you can tell it whether to auto-download newly added songs.

DOWN

Banned
My alarm has been noticeably quieter since I updated. Anyone else having issues with this?
The Bedtime alarm function has its own volume bar on that tab if that's the alarm you've been using. The regular alarms require you to turn up your Ringer volume to where you want it.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

haven't done much on iTunes.. but on iOS.. you have two big options. Optimize storage, and Automatic downloads. The first either turns off Optimize (by default) and you have to clear out songs when you run low on space. On, and you can set it by size or just "auto" which will start purging the stuff accessed the oldest as you run out of storage.. based on either system storage or an amount you set.

the second is self explanatory. it automatically downloads songs you add to your library. Note that this is potentially separate from playlists you add to your library, which is controlled by another toggle. If you have that one turned off, playlists you add to your library won't automatically add those songs, just the playlist. If that option is turned on, and the auto download option is turned on, presumably when you added a playlist to your library, all songs would also be added and downloaded.

Ashhong

because they can't implement long hold system wide.. it's sort of "damned if you do, damned if you don't". if they implemented long hold in some first party apps in a uniform way (like 3D touch), people would expect it to work uniformly in third party apps also (which apple can't do... abscond with long touch at the UI level). If they don't.. well then they give people with 3D Touch a leg up in many cases (like now).

Good news is that by iPhone 8, there will probably be more 3D Touch phones in active use than not (kind of like 64-bit is now)

glad to see they made improvements to sleep. I now see that as long as I unlock my phone as soon as I wake up, it shuts down today's alarm and marks my actual sleep. also reading here about when it starts sleep. and they let me shutdown sleep on specific days. I didn't find sleep very useful in the beta, but can actually work with what we have now.

I don't quite follow. Why can't they do to long hold whatever they do with 3D touch? At least in their own apps and services, like 3D touch on notifications. It just feels like a wasted gesture they should be taking advantage of, whether on older 6 phones or even the 7 and 8

I have no stutter on my 7, but yeah it shouldn't be stuttering for anyone. My biggest problem with Music is that there's no single area with all the playback controls. If I want to be able to go backwards in an album/playlist, I have to open the dumb player card (with playback controls squeezed against the volume because some designer wanted huge album art). If I want to actually see individual songs, I have to close the player card. I've found myself constantly opening and closing that player and it's getting really annoying, especially when I have to wait for the animation every time.

I just want Apple Music to be a separate thing from my own library of music. There's no way I'll ever trust them not to fuck up my music after all the horror stories I've heard, so currently that means I lose out on most of AM's features – I can't add songs to my devices, I can't add playlists, I can't even make cloud playlists. All I can do is stream.

Still, overall I think the Music app is way easier to use than the one in iOS 9. Things are mostly logically organized and easy to navigate.

They really made a lot of good changes to their matching algorithm. You could try either making a backup copy of all of your music and throwing it into the AM library, or just adding the music straight through AM and ignoring your previous purchases.

Ashhong

Doesn't it, or used to, fuck up the metadata? In the beginning, people were complaining that it matches with the wrong song or something similar and their perfectly organized metadata is ruined

Whoops double post

Doesn't it, or used to, fuck up the metadata? In the beginning, people were complaining that it matches with the wrong song or something similar and their perfectly organized metadata is ruined

Whoops double post

From what I understood Apple Music didn't go through and change the metadata of the file itself, it just matched incorrectly with the cloud version and that's what it displayed in iTunes. I could be wrong, but my understand from iTunes Match and even the original launch of Apple Music was that matching never ever changed or deleted the original file itself

And now Apple Music is using the same matching algorithm as iTunes Match, which is great. So there should be even less errors

Thanks for the info everyone. I may give it a shot, after I make sure I have everything backed up.

From what I understood Apple Music didn't go through and change the metadata of the file itself, it just matched incorrectly with the cloud version and that's what it displayed in iTunes. I could be wrong, but my understand from iTunes Match and even the original launch of Apple Music was that matching never ever changed or deleted the original file itself

And now Apple Music is using the same matching algorithm as iTunes Match, which is great. So there should be even less errors

I remember Mac blogger Jim Dalrymple (at loopinsight.com) had catastrophic data loss when AM first launched. I think he wasn't the only one. Other people had metadata on their iTunes library changed. Maybe this has all been fixed once they switched to use the Match algorithm.

Ashhong

Thanks for the info everyone. I may give it a shot, after I make sure I have everything backed up.

I remember Mac blogger Jim Dalrymple (at loopinsight.com) had catastrophic data loss when AM first launched. I think he wasn't the only one. Other people had metadata on their iTunes library changed. Maybe this has all been fixed once they switched to use the Match algorithm.

It may be the case like Zey stated. The files were being matched in iTunes and thus showing the incorrect file. But I remember some people saying that it then linked it to the physical file, and you could even delete it from your computer on accident if you deleted it from iTunes. Not sure but it does seem a lot better now overall. I have just given up using my own physical files and embraced the Apple Music ecosystem.

It may be the case like Zey stated. The files were being matched in iTunes and thus showing the incorrect file. But I remember some people saying that it then linked it to the physical file, and you could even delete it from your computer on accident if you deleted it from iTunes. Not sure but it does seem a lot better now overall. I have just given up using my own physical files and embraced the Apple Music ecosystem.

Yeah, that sounds like what happened then.

I will never be able to fully embrace Apple Music until they start offering lossless files, preferably 24-bit. AM for me is good for discovering new music or listening to albums I may not want to buy but listen to occasionally, and for daily at-work listening it's fine, but when I want to really chill and listen to music their current file quality doesn't cut it.

DopeToast

Banned
Well I got my phone replaced for free at the Apple Store and have iOS 10 now. Looks pretty nice and I'm excited to see what all is new.

Also, just wanna say that after the couple of times I have had to use the Apple Store for their services, they have been so good and accommodating. The customer service and how streamlined everything feels is awesome. It's rare that I go into any retail place and feel like the employees know that much about their product, save for hardware and record stores, and they got me in, got me fixed, and got me out. It was nice.

Jeffrey

still weird that some notifications require force push, then tap to open. Is it because they don't have any 'actions' or something?

Seems wildly inconsistent.

Well I got my phone replaced for free at the Apple Store and have iOS 10 now. Looks pretty nice and I'm excited to see what all is new.

Also, just wanna say that after the couple of times I have had to use the Apple Store for their services, they have been so good and accommodating. The customer service and how streamlined everything feels is awesome. It's rare that I go into any retail place and feel like the employees know that much about their product, save for hardware and record stores, and they got me in, got me fixed, and got me out. It was nice.

I'm glad! My comment wasn't meant to make you feel like it wouldn't get fixed by the way, just to help narrow down what your options are

NekoFever

Are there any good spam call identification apps with proper iOS 10 compatibility yet? I see a lot of them on there but none with CallKit integration or an appreciable number of reviews.

Rootbeer

Banned
i absolutely hate how if i'm listening to an app, like say podcasts, and i open a browser page and click a youtube link which opens in the youtube app (causing podcasts to 'pause'), then after the video finishes and I close youtube... control center doesn't let me resume my podcast. it shows youtube, even though it's closed. the OS should be a little smarter about that sort of stuff.

Anyone have similar problems?

Is iOS 10 supposed to automatically lower the volume of music and videos in PIP when opening another app? I feel like this wasn't a thing for me in the betas or on my 6S.

jts

...hate me...
1 day after getting my Philips Hue and struggling with some Homekit issues, an app update that fixes those comes out. Awesome. 😎

sangreal

How do I dismiss notifications now? I don't seem to be able to swipe up and some of them stay on the screen until opened

So I realized I'm actually referring to alerts. In iOS 9 they popped up a window that you had to click close to dismiss. In iOS 10 they show up as banners that don't go away. My problem is there is no close button on these banners and swiping up doesn't do anything. Only solution I've found is to open the notification which is a pain in the ass sometimes.

jts

...hate me...
I don't understand bedtime.

I'll just continue to use sleep cycle?
Definitely more esoteric and less feature rich than sleep cycle, but sleep cycle can't beat the convenience of having the phone locked, so I switched over ever since iOS 10.

I was getting annoyed at leaving my phone unlocked and especially so when most of the times my phone's display backlight wouldn't turn off completely. Didn't feel right to leave it like that all night, every night.

DOWN

Banned
Definitely more esoteric and less feature rich than sleep cycle, but sleep cycle can't beat the convenience of having the phone locked, so I switched over ever since iOS 10.

I was getting annoyed at leaving my phone unlocked and especially so when most of the times my phone's display backlight wouldn't turn off completely. Didn't feel right to leave it like that all night, every night.
Sleep cycle works when the phone is locked

It didn't always, but it definitely does currently
I don't understand bedtime.

I'll just continue to use sleep cycle?
It's baically a pretty reminder of when to go to bed to get the amount of sleep you want and it tracks your sleep a little but by measuring the time from when you last locked your phone around bedtime

On the handwriting function in Messages, does the app recognise your writing and then re-write it in a neater 'font'? All my messages show exactly what I've written, but I see a mixture of clearly 'type font' writing, and normal finger written writing?

Brakke

Banned
Yo so what the heck is going on with the keyboard. They seem to have changed the rules for when to automatically mode-switch out of special characters tab?? I keep typing strings of special character gibberish now. It used to kick back to letters when you hit space after commas, but no longer.

Why the hell did they think it was ok to change this? I've built up this muscle memory over nearly a decade.

Yo so what the heck is going on with the keyboard. They seem to have changed the rules for when to automatically mode-switch out of special characters tab?? I keep typing strings of special character gibberish now. It used to kick back to letters when you hit space after commas, but no longer.

Why the hell did they think it was ok to change this? I've built up this muscle memory over nearly a decade.

It only does that for me in Safari so I think at a glitch. Doesn't happen in Messages or anything else

Brakke

Banned
It only does that for me in Safari so I think at a glitch. Doesn't happen in Messages or anything else

Hey you know what I think you're right. Maybe that's why it's been especially jarring, I can't adjust to it if it's only happening sometimes.

Hope it's just a bug then and not a design choice.

Mafro

Is anyone else having problems with apps with their own custom tones (Snapchat, Messenger etc.) randomly changing to tri-tone? Restarting the phone fixes it but it's pretty annoying. Might be that they've not been properly updated for iOS 10 yet since Snapchat doesn't have anything about it in their release notes and Facebook never bother to say what they've changed whenever they update one of their apps.

Ambitious

The Control Center buttons are now colored when enabled instead of plain white. This looks so much better. They should have been like that in the first place.

Now, can we please have colored home folder icons back in macOS?

Cyport

I was facetiming somebody and the screen flashed white a few times, they were standing in front of the sun but I'm not sure if they were taking screenshots as we were chatting? This might be a new iOS 10 feature? Has anyone else tried this?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I was facetiming somebody and the screen flashed white a few times, they were standing in front of the sun but I'm not sure if they were taking screenshots as we were chatting? This might be a new iOS 10 feature? Has anyone else tried this?

The screen flashes white when you screenshot it so yeah, that's a possible explanation. But that's been the case since iOS got started.

Cyport

The screen flashes white when you screenshot it so yeah, that's a possible explanation. But that's been the case since iOS got started.

I just tested this with someone else and it didn't happen. I thought that the other person was taking screenshots on FaceTime and it was flashing on my phone, almost like a snapchat notification for letting me know they've taken a picture.

Didn't see it mentioned here. Bought a new iPhone 7, and restored it from my backup and everything is great, except the camera roll is out of order.

In collections, if you search and everywhere else the photos come up in the right order. Anyone seen this before?

Thanks!

tariniel

I'm sure I'm not the first person to say but I really don't like some of the new UI elements on my 5S. They seem too big for my screen and I think it looks bad. I plan to upgrade to a 7+ soon but availability is in November so I have to deal with this until then...

Also stopping an alarm is no longer a swipe, really messed with me this morning. To be honest I already regret upgrading.

SuperPac

I'm sure I'm not the first person to say but I really don't like some of the new UI elements on my 5S. They seem too big for my screen and I think it looks bad. I plan to upgrade to a 7+ soon but availability is in November so I have to deal with this until then...

Also stopping an alarm is no longer a swipe, really messed with me this morning. To be honest I already regret upgrading.

From the lock screen isn't stopping an alarm a tap on some text at the bottom of the screen? (Or, sleep/wake button tap.) Snooze is now a large button in the center. While the phone's unlocked you can either swipe down to snooze/stop or I think swipe up to just stop.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The original 6 Plus was somewhat slow and choppy at launch, so I can't imagine it's any better after two OS updates.

1GB of RAM just wasn't enough for the resolution it is pushing and Apple should have never released it in that state.

DOWN

Banned
The original 6 Plus was somewhat slow and choppy at launch, so I can't imagine it's any better after two OS updates.

1GB of RAM just wasn't enough for the resolution it is pushing and Apple should have never released it in that state.
6 Plus was 2GB. Regular 6 was 1GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom