• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Indeed. It was 1GB.

It was pretty much the iPad 3 of iPhones. Pushing a resolution that the hardware just couldn't competently handle. The 6S Plus was a massive, massive improvement.

I imagine this has been reported but my wife's 6s will randomly become completely unresponsive to any touch or even button presses. Any fix or others with this. Apple forums report a few but just say hard reset.

noomi

Maybe someone can help me with this....

I know when you type a message, sometimes it will highlight the text in yellow and if you tap that text it will allow you to replace the actual text with an emoji.

This used to happen for a few days, and now I never get the option anymore...

any ideas how to get this back?

mrkgoo

I know when you type a message, sometimes it will highlight the text in yellow and if you tap that text it will allow you to replace the actual text with an emoji.

I've never seen this. in my messages app, however, the Quick Type bar above the keyboard will show emojis as alternatives to certain words. Like if I type "poop" one of the quick type options is the smiley poop.

I don't believe it's automatic. You type out your sentence then tap the emoji button. The suggested yellow text would then appear

mrkgoo

I don't believe it's automatic. You type out your sentence then tap the emoji button. The suggested yellow text would then appear

I was wondering what you were trying to say (What emoji button?) but then I realised you might mean the keyboard switching icon (it's a globe for me). Then it highlights all words that can be turned into emoji.

This is pretty cool.

But yeah, basically, type your message and switch to the emoji keyboard.

RDreamer

Ever since upgrading to iOS 10 the quick menu flashlight button has been a piece of shit. I don't know what gives but I have to hit it like 5-10 times sometimes for it to work. Is this happening to anyone else?

mrkgoo

Ever since upgrading to iOS 10 the quick menu flashlight button has been a piece of shit. I don't know what gives but I have to hit it like 5-10 times sometimes for it to work. Is this happening to anyone else?

No but funny you should say.... ever since going to iOS10, in messages, it sometimes takes ages to hit the "back to thread list" button in the top right.

So much so I've been wondering if I'm just not hitting the target properly with the side of my thumb, or if there's a hard ware problem, or a software glitch on that button.

Cheech

I imagine this has been reported but my wife's 6s will randomly become completely unresponsive to any touch or even button presses. Any fix or others with this. Apple forums report a few but just say hard reset.

Yeah, same thing has been happening to my wife's phone. I did a DFU restore on it just last night. Here's to hoping that fixes it.

RM8

I swear my now ancient 5C got faster after the update, which is a nice surprise considering I expected the opposite.

feel

Any word on if we're getting bright text on dark background notifications back? Or at least the option? These ios10 ones are hideous.. sigh

HotHamBoy

Why does my iPad Air 2 still say 9.3.5 is the lastest firmware? It has always offered me the latest firmware before.

I don't feel like fucking with iTunes.

Can anyone help me with this? Still a problem...

Mortemis

Banned
I don't know if this was posted, but if you use a single pixel like one black pixel as your wallpaper, you can make the transparent dock and folders to blend in with the background. Here's my homescreen:

tInwu06.jpg

So nice, and would be even nicer with an oled screen. 😩 It does fuck up your notifications, so it's better to use just a different black background for your lock screen.

The original 6 Plus was somewhat slow and choppy at launch, so I can't imagine it's any better after two OS updates.

1GB of RAM just wasn't enough for the resolution it is pushing and Apple should have never released it in that state.

Eh, I get along fine with the 6 Plus. The only time I really notice anything is how quickly apps get purged. But honestly its not that big of a deal IMO.

It was legit buggy for a few months when it released, though.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I don't know if this was posted, but if you use a single pixel like one black pixel as your wallpaper, you can make the transparent dock and folders to blend in with the background. Here's my homescreen:

So nice, and would be even nicer with an oled screen. �� It does fuck up your notifications, so it's better to use just a different black background for your lock screen.
I find this intriguing, but boring. But it's cool. I want to experiment now. How exactly does it fuck up notifications?

I really hate how you can't set an image on iCloud Drive as wallpaper. You still have to save the file to Photos, then set the wallpaper from Photos, then delete the file. Just put a "Set as Wallpaper" option in the Share menu on iCloud Drive!

And as I've said before, iCloud Drive needs to be usable as a file browser. I should be able to conversely go into the Wallpaper settings screen and choose a file directly from my Drive.

Mortemis

Banned
I find this intriguing, but boring. But it's cool. I want to experiment now. How exactly does it fuck up notifications?

I really hate how you can't set an image on iCloud Drive as wallpaper. You still have to save the file to Photos, then set the wallpaper from Photos, then delete the file. Just put a "Set as Wallpaper" option in the Share menu on iCloud Drive!

And as I've said before, iCloud Drive needs to be usable as a file browser. I should be able to conversely go into the Wallpaper settings screen and choose a file directly from my Drive.

You can't really read text on it, it just goes black.

And yeah, when they first introduced iCloud drive I thought it would be a good step towards a file system, but no it's still kinda useless.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You can't really read text on it, it just goes black.

And yeah, when they first introduced iCloud drive I thought it would be a good step towards a file system, but no it's still kinda useless.
This is so weird. When one of these "one pixel" images (I made a few of different colors) are used on the Home screen, you lose animations and transitions. And the folder icons are circles. (Except on black where you can't see anything) This is weird.

Is it only because it's a pixel?
Edit: No, it loses the animations when 1000x1000 pixels too? What's going on? Also, if it's 1000x1000 the Dock and folder icons are greyed. That's a really strange bug.
Edit 2: Also, it won't come back when I change to another normal photo. Rebooting.
Edit 3: After reboot, animations are back. Now I set it to an image that's an alternating grid of orange and purple pixels 1000x1000 in size so you can barely make out each individual pixel. If I zoom in while setting wallpaper and slide it slightly I can choose whether the text should be white or black. It's so weird. Like it's choosing the ambient color based on a specific pixel on the display.

And it's stupid how the wallpaper is dimmed. I hate that. If I use a solid white image it is grey. Just let it be white! WTF, Apple?

Also yeah, iCloud Drive would be a perfect Filesystem/Finder replacement for iOS. It needs more integration!

Mortemis

Banned
This is so weird. When one of these "one pixel" images (I made a few of different colors) are used on the Home screen, you lose animations and transitions. And the folder icons are circles. (Except on black where you can't see anything) This is weird.

Is it only because it's a pixel?
Edit: No, it loses the animations when 1000x1000 pixels too? What's going on? Also, if it's 1000x1000 the Dock and folder icons are greyed. That's a really strange bug.
Edit 2: Also, it won't come back when I change to another normal photo. Rebooting.
Edit 3: After reboot, animations are back. Now I set it to an image that's an alternating grid of orange and purple pixels 1000x1000 in size so you can barely make out each individual pixel. If I zoom in while setting wallpaper and slide it slightly I can choose whether the text should be white or black. It's so weird. Like it's choosing the ambient color based on a specific pixel on the display.

And it's stupid how the wallpaper is dimmed. I hate that. If I use a solid white image it is grey. Just let it be white! WTF, Apple?

Also yeah, iCloud Drive would be a perfect Filesystem/Finder replacement for iOS. It needs more integration!

whoa you're right. I used blue and weirdly I have circle folders for the first 3 rows and then for the fourth it's regular round square folders.

Also all my animations are working fine though.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
whoa you're right. I used blue and weirdly I have circle folders for the first 3 rows and then for the fourth it's regular round square folders.

Also all my animations are working fine though.
Rebooting fixed my animations.

And it really bugs me that I can't disable the dimmed overlay over wallpaper. That's horrible and makes a lot of things look terrible.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Does anyone else have the problem where you 3d touch and iMessage notification on the lock screen, to send your message, but it does nothing ? 99% of the time I 3D touch the notification and nothing happens so I have to unlock my phone and do it from the app.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
I've noticed this on my 6S too after going to iOS 10. Hoping it's just a bug...

Ya this is happening to me too. Very unresponsive.

Odd behavior. Have iPhone 7, both times now upgrading from 10.0.1 and 10.0.2 has resulted in the phone rebooting and saying ' Attempting data recovery'. Works fine afterwards, but has happened twice so far. Anyone else?

Is this safe to download yet? I've heard there are a few problems - one being that people have said they can't copy and paste. I actually use that really often so I want to avoid the update if that's true.

Just edited this in another thread, but thought I'd share it here. I hope it's useful to anyone who wants to prevent visibility of stuff like 2FA codes in msgs

It's not the 2-step verification's responsibility to keep your phone protected against anyone who has physical access to it have all persmissions to use it freely. That's what passcodes or fingerprints are for.

Also you should make a phone call to your provider to cancel your current SIM so that they can't 2-step verify your stuff anyway.
I had been thinking about a similar scenario this in light of iOS 10's new interactive notifications. I have yet to test it out myself, but couldn't someone who stole/found your lost phone see what your 2FA codes were pretty easily now with this?

You no longer need passcode or print access for those. I am debating disabling all of that for security reasons but it would be nice if there was a middle ground where you still need touchID to actually see the contents of the notifications.

Edit: **A solution for anyone interested**

I changed messages settings in notifications so it doesn't show previews now.

Settings > Notifications > Messages > Show Previews (off)

You may want to change the home button/touchID behaviour as well to go with it but that's up to you

Settings > General > Accessibility > Home Button > Rest Finger to Open

These two will let you still have interactive notifications on the lock screen, but now require passcode or touchID to show the message content for additional security.

Afrodium

Banned
YouTube links are now opening in a separate Safari tab instead of redirecting to the app. Is anyone else running into this issue? How can I make it default to opening the app?

CraigMcD

YouTube links are now opening in a separate Safari tab instead of redirecting to the app. Is anyone else running into this issue? How can I make it default to opening the app?

Hold down on the link and select Open in YouTube and it should work from then on until you do otherwise.

Jeffrey

i remember ios 9 gave you travel time suggestions once your phone connects with the car through bluetooth, i've not seen it in ios 10, is there a option i need to turn on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom