• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

zedge

i remember ios 9 gave you travel time suggestions once your phone connects with the car through bluetooth, i've not seen it in ios 10, is there a option i need to turn on?
I would like to know this too. I also used to get a notification of my travel time to work or home around the time I normally leave. Miss this feature.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Not sure if anyone else posted this yet.

Found bug in iOS10 (newest ver) on pretty much every iOS device (iPad, Phone, etc) when you click folder and if you click out fast enough or whatever you'll see pixelated back icons after a sec or so they will become high res again.

Number45

i remember ios 9 gave you travel time suggestions once your phone connects with the car through bluetooth, i've not seen it in ios 10, is there a option i need to turn on?

I would like to know this too. I also used to get a notification of my travel time to work or home around the time I normally leave. Miss this feature.
I'm still getting these notifications on iOS 10.

Fliesen

previously in this thread (or the iOS beta thread), a poster complained about a feature that had supposedly been removed between the iOS 10 beta and the full release, namely a notification that shows when the appleTV is in text-input mode that would buzz your phone and give you a quick way to directly input text.

I noticed this feature among my notification settings today, and it works as the poster originally described described.

Jnbbpp7.png

FOiMJi8.png

EXh0B5l.png

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm still getting these notifications on iOS 10.
Me too. Mine never disappeared. I just wish my 2016 Ford Focus with Sync let me use the parking location feature but that appears to only work if you have Sync 3 with CarPlay support. Doesn't seem to make sense though. I mean it knows when I get in my car and out but I can't mark my location? Is this something I need to activate myself?

previously in this thread (or the iOS beta thread), a poster complained about a feature that had supposedly been removed between the iOS 10 beta and the full release, namely a notification that shows when the appleTV is in text-input mode that would buzz your phone and give you a quick way to directly input text.

I noticed this feature among my notification settings today, and it works as the poster originally described described.

Yo that was me how do I get that back

Edit: you're right, it's back in my list too. Gonna try it out

This is cool, thanks!

Number45

Me too. Mine never disappeared. I just wish my 2016 Ford Focus with Sync let me use the parking location feature but that appears to only work if you have Sync 3 with CarPlay support. Doesn't seem to make sense though. I mean it knows when I get in my car and out but I can't mark my location? Is this something I need to activate myself?
I get this as well without having had to activate anything and I don't have CarPlay support. 2015 Mazda CX-5 (UK).

Is this current iOS 10.0.2 or 10.1 beta? I'm on 10.0.2 and I don't see this under notification settings.

Number45

How though? Is there something you have to do? My phone and car know each other exist and treat each other as they should.
I certainly didn't change anything. In fact I didn't even know about the functionality until I opened maps a few days later and saw the dropped pin.

Actually I've just looked. In Settings > Maps there's a "Show Parked Location" near the bottom. Do you have that, and is it checked?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I certainly didn't change anything. In fact I didn't even know about the functionality until I opened maps a few days later and saw the dropped pin.

Actually I've just looked. In Settings > Maps there's a "Show Parked Location" near the bottom. Do you have that, and is it checked?
It is checked. I never looked in Maps though. Next time I park I'm going to open Maps and check.

A notification would have been nice.

It is checked. I never looked in Maps though. Next time I park I'm going to open Maps and check.

A notification would have been nice.

It should work with any car Bluetooth device. I have a 2009 Toyota Camry with Bluetooth for hands-free (but not music) and that marks my location every time

Hmmm. Not seeing that in "notifications "...

I drive a Ford Edge with Sync but not the model that has CarPlay. My phone always marks where I park now and tells me how to get back to it. No setting to turn on as far as I remember.

i didn't do anything really. I just had the (new) remote app installed and i noticed "Apple TV remote keyboard" entry under notifications.

Interesting. I even deleted the app and reinstall it, and even rebooted but but no luck.

Only thing I could think of is since I'm not on WiFi at work that the settings are not there (since a WiFi only app)? Long shot but I will try again when I get home.

Blackhead

Redarse
Now every time I open a twitter notification on iOS 10 it clears all other twitter notifications from Notification Center as well. I don't know if a setting was switched in iOS, or Twitter updated to the use the new iOS 10 developer ability to remove 'old' notifications, but this basically makes notifications on iOS useless for me (especially considering the removal of the option to group notifications by app).

Ashhong

Anybody have any issues with calendar alerts? I dont know when it started but I'm no longer receiving alerts from my iCloud calendar. I know it worked previously on the iOS10 beta, it just stopped working. Doesn't matter if I have 1 or 2 alerts. Anyone know what I should check?

mrkgoo

This ;_;

Hopfully in the next update it'll be back.....

Why would people think it would come back? the entire design of the iOS10 lock screen is predicated on removing the swipe to unlock. There has to be some serious backlash fro them to back pedal on it.

Ashhong

I actually like that slide to unlock is gone. There are times when my hands are full or something and all I have is my pinky, and it's easier to tap the home button than slide the screen.

Guess Who

Banned
Why would people think it would come back? the entire design of the iOS10 lock screen is predicated on removing the swipe to unlock. There has to be some serious backlash fro them to back pedal on it.

Yeah, the entire point of both removing slide to unlock and wanting you to press the home button to unlock the phone is that Apple wants you to actually spend time at the lock screen now. Notifications are richer and more actionable in iOS 10, so you can do things like check your messages and manage your email more easily directly from the notification. Widgets are accessible on the side page, so you can check the weather or your calendar and whatnot without going into an app. Apple doesn't want you to default to going to the home screen anymore, unless you actually need to - if you can do something more quickly from the lock screen instead, they'd like you to do it there.

Also, because I feel like a lot of people have not noticed this or misunderstood this: you do not need Rest Finger to Unlock enabled in order to do the following:

1. Wake the device by pressing the home button.
2. Leave your finger resting on the home button.
3. The device will unlock automatically.

I've confirmed on both a 6 and a 6S that if you wake the screen using the home button and a Touch ID registered finger and just leave your finger there, it will unlock automatically after a split second, even without Rest Finger to Unlock turned on. It's not quite as instant as it was in iOS 9 on the 6S, presumably because on iOS 9 it was so instant you could not really use the lock screen at all (which, again, Apple wants you to do).

Fliesen

Yeah, the entire point of both removing slide to unlock and wanting you to press the home button to unlock the phone is that Apple wants you to actually spend time at the lock screen now. Notifications are richer and more actionable in iOS 10, so you can do things like check your messages and manage your email more easily directly from the notification. Widgets are accessible on the side page, so you can check the weather or your calendar and whatnot without going into an app. Apple doesn't want you to default to going to the home screen anymore, unless you actually need to - if you can do something more quickly from the lock screen instead, they'd like you to do it there.

Also, because I feel like a lot of people have not noticed this or misunderstood this: you do not need Rest Finger to Unlock enabled in order to do the following:

I've confirmed on both a 6 and a 6S that if you wake the screen using the home button and a Touch ID registered finger and just leave your finger there, it will unlock automatically after a split second, even without Rest Finger to Unlock turned on. It's not quite as instant as it was in iOS 9 on the 6S, presumably because on iOS 9 it was so instant you could not really use the lock screen at all (which, again, Apple wants you to do).

i noticed this recently when i wanted to turn the feature off because i got annoyed because i kept 'missing' notifications because the phone only showed the lock screen for one tenth of a second.
Found out it wasn't turned on to begin with.

Also - the new notification center widgets are super useful after you've taken the time to pick and choose the widgets that are actually the most useful to you.

My only issue now would be: How DO i wake my phone without doing 'raise to wake' - like when it's resting on a table? Touch ID is so fast, you can only trick it by: using a finger that you haven't registered yet (which is awkward) or wake the phone withe the sleep/wake button, which is once again a physical button that might eventually wear out.
They need to introduce some sort of tapping gesture like the Moto phones have.

TimFL

How can you even use the rich notifications for mail? They don't even show the full HTML view.

Guess Who

Banned
i noticed this recently when i wanted to turn the feature off because i got annoyed because i kept 'missing' notifications because the phone only showed the lock screen for one tenth of a second.
Found out it wasn't turned on to begin with.

Also - the new notification center widgets are super useful after you've taken the time to pick and choose the widgets that are actually the most useful to you.

My only issue now would be: How DO i wake my phone without doing 'raise to wake' - like when it's resting on a table? Touch ID is so fast, you can only trick it by: using a finger that you haven't registered yet (which is awkward) or wake the phone withe the sleep/wake button, which is once again a physical button that might eventually wear out.

I don't think you need to worry about waking with the sleep/wake button. I've had probably a dozen iOS devices going back to the first-gen iPod touch and never had a sleep/wake button go out on me. And yeah, widgets are super useful. I have the Authy widget set up so I can get 2FA codes without having to go to the app. You might be thinking, shit, if your 2FA codes are on your lock screen, doesn't that mean anyone could steal your phone and break into your 2FA accounts? Nope - the Authy widget won't show the codes unless the lock screen is "unlocked" with Touch ID. This kind of stuff is why you can "unlock" the phone without going to the home screen!

How can you even use the rich notifications for mail? They don't even show the full HTML view.

Your mileage may vary, but I don't find I need the full HTML view for most emails. Most HTML-heavy emails I get are ads or spam anyway. The text is typically all I need to consider an email "read" or know if I need to trash it, which are the actions you can take from the lock screen.

Fliesen

I don't think you need to worry about waking with the sleep/wake button. I've had probably a dozen iOS devices going back to the first-gen iPod touch and never had a sleep/wake button go out on me. And yeah, widgets are super useful. I have the Authy widget set up so I can get 2FA codes without having to go to the app. You might be thinking, shit, if your 2FA codes are on your lock screen, doesn't that mean anyone could steal your phone and break into your 2FA accounts? Nope - the Authy widget won't show the codes unless the lock screen is "unlocked" with Touch ID. This kind of stuff is why you can "unlock" the phone without going to the home screen!

yeah, it's not that i worry, but some people might, i guess.
To me it's more about the wake button requiring you to 'claw' the phone to press it, while the home "button" can be pressed with one finger, when the phone's laying flat on my desk.
"Tilt" to wake works only like 80% of the time, sadly.

Because the iOS 10 lock screen is more cumbersome to unlock for people without a Touch ID device. I told my mom that she should upgrade her iPad mini to 10, and now I'm rethinking that because I know she'll complain about unlocking. I realize that Touch ID everywhere is what Apple is headed towards, but for now they need to offer a fallback.

Personally I've found the lock screen mostly useless so far. I never use the Today view, and the only thing I do with Notifications is read them, which I can accomplish with Raise To Wake. The new lock screen UX is not worth the extra unlocking hassle for me.

Fliesen

Because the iOS 10 lock screen is more cumbersome to unlock for people without a Touch ID device. I told my mom that she should upgrade her iPad mini to 10, and now I'm rethinking that because I know she'll complain about unlocking.

Personally I've found the lock screen mostly useless so far. I never use the Today view, and the only thing I do with Notifications is read them, which I can accomplish with Raise To Wake. The new lock screen UX is not worth the extra unlocking hassle for me.

how is pressing a button "more cumbersome" than swiping the screen?
it's different, for sure. It takes a few days of getting used to, i give you that. But more cumbersome?

I would argue quick access to the camera was more cumbersome before and works much better with the new implementation.

how is pressing a button "more cumbersome" than swiping the screen?
it's different, for sure. It takes a few days of getting used to, i give you that. But more cumbersome?

I would argue quick access to the camera was more cumbersome before and works much better with the new implementation.

It's a minor thing, but tapping twice on the home button, then moving to the keypad feels like a longer interaction than the slide to unlock gesture, since your finger is only a short distance from the keypad. Also, if you double tap on the home button too fast, it doesn't register as an unlock request, making you do it again.

I agree the camera access is better in 10, but I don't often need instant access to the camera.

p.s. the UI transition on the camera access bugs me so much: swipe right for the camera, but then once you're on the camera view, a swipe left just switches camera modes. And if you tap the home button to go back to main lock screen, the transition is different: the lock screen slides over the camera view, instead of sliding the camera view to the right as the lock screen slides in simultaneously. Really sloppy.

mrkgoo

Because the iOS 10 lock screen is more cumbersome to unlock for people without a Touch ID device. I told my mom that she should upgrade her iPad mini to 10, and now I'm rethinking that because I know she'll complain about unlocking. I realize that Touch ID everywhere is what Apple is headed towards, but for now they need to offer a fallback.

You don't have to explain to me - I have an iPhone 5.

And I have parents that have iPhones that I'm hesitant to upgrade for that very reason.

But it's not coming back.

It's actually one of the gestures that is quite hard to retrain, having done it for years, but I AM getting there.

Click once to see my lock screen, click again to go to my home page. Starting to actually feel natural, especially since clicking home goes to home page from wherever on the phone, why not on the lock screen.

SuperPac

Use a finger that you do not have assigned to Touch ID. I have my right/left index finger and thumb on Touch ID so I use any other finger to wake it when it's on a table. Usually middle finger. I was doing that well before raise to wake though when Touch ID was so fast that it was skipping past notifications altogether so I already have the muscle memory for it.

samn

I don't want to do stuff on the notification screen/widgets screen. I scroll around, realise the functionality isn't there (partly because I don't have 3D Touch) then I end up unlocking anyway.

If you're not using Touch ID then the only way to unlock is to press Home, wait a second, then press again. It doesn't feel nearly as pleasant as pressing Home then sliding to unlock because you're waiting for the computer to be (invisibly) ready for your second tap.

tmdorsey

I don't want to do stuff on the notification screen/widgets screen. I scroll around, realise the functionality isn't there (partly because I don't have 3D Touch) then I end up unlocking anyway.

If you're not using Touch ID then the only way to unlock is to press Home, wait a second, then press again. It doesn't feel nearly as pleasant as pressing Home then sliding to unlock because you're waiting for the computer to be (invisibly) ready for your second tap.

What functionality are you looking for? If the notification doesn't have the functionality then you just swipe right on the notification, authenticate, and go straight to the app to handle the notification.

Sullichin

I wonder if I'm missing something trying to get Universal Clipboard to work. I am connected to the same iCloud account on my Macbook and iPhone. I have Bluetooth, Wifi, and Handoff enabled.

I do use Alfred on my Mac though so I'm wondering if that's messing with it.

Guess Who

Banned

I do agree that for anything older than a 6S (or, hell, on any iPad), the new lock screen is a step back - without 3D Touch notifications are more cumbersome to use, without the second-gen Touch ID locked widgets aren't as easily available, and without Touch ID at all you have to press home twice and then get to the screen.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The difference between iCloud Photo Library and Photo Stream are more confusing to me than ever
Photo Library: every picture and video you take is uploaded to the cloud.
Photo Stream: keeps a copy of the last 1000 pictures (no videos) you took so you can access them quickly on your other devices.

Photo Stream is useful if you also have an iPad and/or Mac and don't want to spend money on more iCloud storage (which is my case). With Photo Library enabled, Photo Stream becomes useless.

The difference between iCloud Photo Library and Photo Stream are more confusing to me than ever

Photo Library: every picture and video you take is uploaded to the cloud.
Photo Stream: keeps a copy of the last 1000 pictures (no videos) you took so you can access them quickly on your other devices.

Photo Stream is useful if you also have an iPad and/or Mac and don't want to spend money on more iCloud storage (which is my case). With Photo Library enabled, Photo Stream becomes useless.

Yeah, iCloud Photo Library covers the functionality of Photo Stream completely. If you have iCPL turned on, turn off photo stream

mrkgoo

Yeah, iCloud Photo Library covers the functionality of Photo Stream completely. If you have iCPL turned on, turn off photo stream

One may not be using iCloud Photo Library on all their machines ... for example have an older mac.

But perhaps an oddball example.

Ashhong

Yes but if you lift your finger off for any reason, you can't unlock it with just TouchID. For that you need to turn on Rest Finger to Unlock.

I wish I could just completely unlock and turn on the phone without pressing the home button if I rest my finger on it.

Giolon

Apple has fucked AirPlay for video in iOS 10. It's apparently impossible to send video over AirPlay now unless you use Mirroring, which means you can't use an iOS device to AirPlay video to an AppleTV, etc. while using other apps at the same time anymore.

It also means, that there's now way to AirPlay video to an audience without all of your notifications also popping up on the AirPlay receiver.

SMH Apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom