• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draper

I got a pop up today asking which browser I want to use to open the email link...

Come to think of it, it was while I was using Inbox so it's probably just a feature of that app.

wolf73

Apple has fucked AirPlay for video in iOS 10. It's apparently impossible to send video over AirPlay now unless you use Mirroring, which means you can't use an iOS device to AirPlay video to an AppleTV, etc. while using other apps at the same time anymore.

It also means, that there's now way to AirPlay video to an audience without all of your notifications also popping up on the AirPlay receiver.

SMH Apple.
This is where you have to start Airplay in IOS 10 to get what you want.
B2nLaqD.jpg

tmdorsey

Yes but if you lift your finger off for any reason, you can't unlock it with just TouchID. For that you need to turn on Rest Finger to Unlock.

I wish I could just completely unlock and turn on the phone without pressing the home button if I rest my finger on it.

Sounds like a 6S or 7 with Raise to Wake and Rest Finger to Unlock is what you need.

Ashhong

True! What I said only applies if you decide to use the library on all of your devices

I'm still afraid of turning off my iCloud Library because it says it couldn't download 20 something photos :(

Sounds like a 6S or 7 with Raise to Wake and Rest Finger to Unlock is what you need.

But then I have to raise the phone! I want it sitting on the table and just unlocking. I have no idea what I would ever need this for. But in my head I want it.

Does one else feel like iOS10 is just eating up all your memory? I had 1.4 gb before install, and afterwards only 148 mb. Since then, I have not downloaded any app, and my available memory keeps dropping, to the point where I am now at it saying zero kb free. I've deleted about 7 videos, and yet, STILL it says zero kb free. Apparently the iTunes trick of "renting" a video too large for your device no longer works, either. I don't really have a ton of photos or items...and when I add up all the apps memory usage, I only get like 8gb. Any ideas? I'm tempted to do a factory reset, but I just need to find the time to back up my photos first.

Edit: Also, phone says I have used 11.8 gb. Out of a 16 gb model....is this normal? Does the OS and everything else you can't see take up four freaking gigs?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
But then I have to raise the phone! I want it sitting on the table and just unlocking. I have no idea what I would ever need this for. But in my head I want it.
The iPhone 7 technically does this with it's new "button". You just apply a little pressure like with 3D touch and it unlocks.

Edit: Also, phone says I have used 11.8 gb. Out of a 16 gb model....is this normal? Does the OS and everything else you can't see take up four freaking gigs?

16GB phone = about 12GB of actual usable space.

16GB phone = about 12GB of actual usable space.
Thanks, it just really didn't seem this sever when I had my previous 32 gigger....what a crock. I've been getting more and more frustrated with this device...iOS10 really doesn't help at all.

Any insight to the missing memory though? Phone says 11.8gb used, out of a 16 gb model. After I add up everything on my phone as shown in the "storage" section, it only adds up to about 8 gb. Somehow, there are 4 mystery gigs being used, in addition to the 4 for the OS.

Number45

I've just noticed (clearly not paying attention as the accompanying image makes it pretty obvious) that I can finally add something to my now playing queue AFTER what's currently being listened to. Play next / play later! o/

Setting something to play next on iOS 9 when I'm already in the middle of listening to an album, to find that something to be inserted into the middle of the album was irritating as hell.

mrkgoo

Just noticed a relatives phone is on 9.3.4. Is here a way to update to 9.3.5 and not 10? I don't think they will be quite ready for the change.

DSFan1970

It's there a way to turn off ALL vibrations on the iphone7 plus? Even the home button. I hate it vibrating to replicate the touch feel. I want to turn it off completely.

Ashhong

Thanks, it just really didn't seem this sever when I had my previous 32 gigger....what a crock. I've been getting more and more frustrated with this device...iOS10 really doesn't help at all.

Any insight to the missing memory though? Phone says 11.8gb used, out of a 16 gb model. After I add up everything on my phone as shown in the "storage" section, it only adds up to about 8 gb. Somehow, there are 4 mystery gigs being used, in addition to the 4 for the OS.

Your 32gb one probably had 28 or so gigs free...so about the same.

Try making an iCloud backup and then restoring your phone to default settings using your backup. I did that when I moved to 10 and gained back like 15gigs somehow.

Just noticed a relatives phone is on 9.3.4. Is here a way to update to 9.3.5 and not 10? I don't think they will be quite ready for the change.

9.3.5 is still being signed for the time being. You can download the IPSW and shift-restore to 9.3.5 but I don't think that works for an update. Just a restore

You can make a backup, shift-restore, and do it that way but it takes a while

9.3.5 is still being signed for the time being. You can download the IPSW and shift-restore to 9.3.5 but I don't think that works for an update. Just a restore

You can make a backup, shift-restore, and do it that way but it takes a while

You used to be able to shift-update in iTunes, but I haven't done it in probably over a year so I don't know if it still works on the current versions of iTunes.

Ashhong

I have never done an iCloud backup and restore before, always opting to set it up as a new phone, thinking that's better. What a goddamn amazing feature it is! Saves all the important data and settings and restores them, without also restoring the junk files and whatnot. No longer will I have to restore my apps and settings

Ambitious

Don't know if it's caused by iOS 10 or not, but the battery life of my 5s is absolutely terrible at the moment. It was fully charged today morning. I've barely used it - I just browsed GAF and Twitter a few times. It's now 11am and it's down to 62%.

I updated yesterday and I do not like this one bit.

- I don't like unlocking my phone with the home button. I'll probably get used to it, but swiping was easier than pushing the button. My pocket can also push a button, it cannot swipe.

- I don't like the notifications area when I swipe down. Used to show me my calendar, the weather, and any alarms I had set. Now it shows me notifications by default, and I never have notifications, and so now there's one more step for me to check the stuff I usually used that bar for.

- Speaking of which, I can't find a place where my phone tells me what alarms I have set from a glance. I used to be able to do this on iOS9

- Notifications on the lock screen are terrible now. I used to be able to archive email in two motions, now I need swipe, click view, then click archive and it's more steps. Assuming I don't miss the bubble slightly and suddenly turn on the camera (why move it from being an up swipe from the bottom?)

It's a mess. I notice no actual benefits at all from updating, but plenty of inconveniences and poor design choices. Actually, there is one thing. Being able to finally delete default apple garbage bloatware is good.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Anyone using the Notes app? Mine is crashing regulary right after starting, I think its when it starts syncing with the internet since I have no problem when my phone is in Airplane mode

Anyone using the Notes app? Mine is crashing regulary right after starting, I think its when it starts syncing with the internet since I have no problem when my phone is in Airplane mode

Coworker was having this issue, seemed to resolve itself after "deleting" the notes app (I know all it does is hide it) and getting it again from the App Store

Obviously make sure your notes are tied to some internet account before doing that

tmdorsey

Cross posting from the 7 thread:

Since getting my 7+ I'm starting over as a new phone and doing a complete refresh of my apps. I want to know what folks recommend as the best weather app?

On my 6 I used Yahoo Weather and The Weather Channel. Looking for something different if there's something better out there. I also use Dark Sky, but mainly for notifications.

Is there a better option than the above? My priorities are good hourly and weekly forecast layouts and a really good radar map is a must. Money is not a big deal as I have some iTunes credit.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Coworker was having this issue, seemed to resolve itself after "deleting" the notes app (I know all it does is hide it) and getting it again from the App Store

Obviously make sure your notes are tied to some internet account before doing that
Thanks.

Seriously, never had a iOS version with so many flaws...

Mobius 1

Since getting my 7+ I'm starting over as a new phone and doing a complete refresh of my apps. I want to know what folks recommend as the best weather app?

On my 6 I used Yahoo Weather and The Weather Channel. Looking for something different if there's something better out there. I also use Dark Sky, but mainly for notifications.

Is there a better option than the above? My priorities are good hourly and weekly forecast layouts and a really good radar map is a must. Money is not a big deal as I have some iTunes credit.

Dark Sky is still my favorite.

mrkgoo

Shit. :(

I think I regret updating this on the iPhone 5, it got slower.....

Glad I'm not the only one. This new update is buggy as hell.

I feel my iPhone 5 FEELS faster, due to the animations. I notice some lag ins tuff like loading map data (it will take a while to do so, even after figuring out a location).

Overall, I don't think it has been significantly slower for me.

I feel some lag in messages like going back to main messages, the back button requires several taps. but other than that it has been really smooth sailing for me.

All major OS releases have their bugs, but as they have become more and more fully-featured, I've found the bugs to be less and less for dot-zero releases. Pretty impressive, actually. What are the "buggy as hell" bugs you're seeing?

Every time someone tells me they're not updating because they heard it was bad I roll my eyes. It's literally the same story every year, I swear people have short term memory. My coworker put it best: you can google "iOS ___ ruined my life" (filling in any number you want) and you'll find results. My sister is comfortable now on iOS 9 but one year ago people were losing their shit over it

That's the real circle of life

Blackhead

Redarse

Carrot Weather (has a weather map - what do you use that for anyway?), Weather line (my favorite)
All major OS releases have their bugs, but as they have become more and more fully-featured, I've found the bugs to be less and less for dot-zero releases. Pretty impressive, actually. What are the "buggy as hell" bugs you're seeing?
Probably because your old iPhone 5 doesn't get all the new OS features with all the associated bugs ;)
Every time someone tells me they're not updating because they heard it was bad I roll my eyes. It's literally the same story every year, I swear people have short term memory. My coworker put it best: you can google "iOS ___ ruined my life" (filling in any number you want) and you'll find results. My sister is comfortable now on iOS 9 but one year ago people were losing their shit over it

Probably because there have been 3+ iOS 9.x updates with bug fixes since last year ;)

Every time someone tells me a new iOS is so smooth I roll my eyes. It's literally the same story every year, I swear people have short term memory. My coworker put it best: you can google "iOS ___ is fast" (filling in any number you want) and you'll find results. My sister is comfortable now on iOS 10 but in one month people will be losing their shit over the next update.

That's the real circle of life.

GWX

My biggest pet peeves with iOS 10, so far, are that the explicit content/restrictions bug still remains (it started with the introduction of iOS 8.4 and Apple Music mid last year), the search bar in Settings.app still loves to get laid with the phone's status bar, and the biggest one: they removed iOS 9's best feature, the screen turning on and audio playback being resumed automatically when a audio source is connected (aux cable, lightning or bluetooth)! WTF Apple, really.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's not possible to bring back the old threaded view in mail, is it? Trying to find something in the long email threads like I always tend to have at work, can be pretty tough with the new single page thread view.

Skepticism is more than warranted if you have an older device. iOS7 made iPhone 4 literally unusable. Even after some updates that were supposed to improve things, it was comically bad.

and the biggest one: they removed iOS 9's best feature, the screen turning on and audio playback being resumed automatically when a audio source is connected (aux cable, lightning or bluetooth)! WTF Apple, really.

I actually came here to post the opposite – for some reason, the music controls on the lock screen finally started showing up for me today. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. Maybe the Proactive AI had to re-learn this behavior, though I thought it was a baked-in feature. All I know is every time I've plugged in audio today, both through the adapter and through the EarPods, it's working.

I actually came here to post the opposite – for some reason, the music controls on the lock screen finally started showing up for me today. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. Maybe the Proactive AI had to re-learn this behavior, though I thought it was a baked-in feature. All I know is every time I've plugged in audio today, both through the adapter and through the EarPods, it's working.

Thank god, I hope that happens for me too. I had been sorely missing it

mrkgoo

I wonder if this replicates for anyone else:

When I send MYSELF an iMessage with full screen effect, I receive it 3 times. My other devices only show it once, so it's a bug in the receiving/playback on my end, and only to myself.

Running an iPhone 5 with iOS 10.0.2.

I asked a friend who doesn't seem to have it, but I replicated it on another person's iPad Air 2.

mrkgoo

Probably because your old iPhone 5 doesn't get all the new OS features with all the associated bugs ;)

Entirely possible, I suppose. But I've had it since iOS 5 or whatever, and I swear there used to be a fear of upgrading major iOS versions that has decreased. I was still getting all the features on iOS 9 (disregarding features associated with hardware features of course), it's only iOS 10 that I'm actually losing some features that are entirely software-based.

What bugs are people referring to? It helps to post them, so we can see if they replicate or not.

Fliesen

Every time someone tells me a new iOS is so smooth I roll my eyes. It's literally the same story every year, I swear people have short term memory. My coworker put it best: you can google "iOS ___ is fast" (filling in any number you want) and you'll find results. My sister is comfortable now on iOS 10 but in one month people will be losing their shit over the next update.

That's the real circle of life.

to be fair, you can also google "iOS ___ worse battery life" and "iPhone ____ yellow screen" and get a plethora of results, too.

The fact that, even if only 5% of users have either a faulty device, or bad experiences with battery life, that's millions(!) of users, because the iPhone is just such a ubiquitous product.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
wtf. Trying to download all my previous purchases from itunes/amazon etc to consolidate them. Logged into itunes and downloaded all my purchases. Then logged out and logged in as my wife's account and tried to do the same - its saying "this computer is already associated with an apple ID" and I can't auto download or download past purchases within 90 days.

How the fuck is that possible? In Apple's world do people not share computers?

wtf. Trying to download all my previous purchases from itunes/amazon etc to consolidate them. Logged into itunes and downloaded all my purchases. Then logged out and logged in as my wife's account and tried to do the same - its saying "this computer is already associated with an apple ID" and I can't auto download or download past purchases within 90 days.

How the fuck is that possible? In Apple's world do people not share computers?
ITs been like that since at least 2013. There's a simple workaround - log into your wife's iTunes account but don't download anything. Instead just authorise that computer. Then, create a new user account on the computer and sign into your wife's iTunes account and you can download everything you want from there. Then, copy those downloads into a folder that your usual user account can see/onto a USB, then you can load that media in iTunes back on your regular account.

Annoying as hell but it works.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
ITs been like that since at least 2013. There's a simple workaround - log into your wife's iTunes account but don't download anything. Instead just authorise that computer. Then, create a new user account on the computer and sign into your wife's iTunes account and you can download everything you want from there. Then, copy those downloads into a folder that your usual user account can see/onto a USB, then you can load that media in iTunes back on your regular account.

Annoying as hell but it works.

thanks. Soon as this is done I'm uninstalling itunes again. Haven't bought anything from there for years but needed to get some old songs

MIMIC

Banned
Was fooling around with the new widgets page, and it has been pretty convenient so far. The only widgets I use are Weather (native), News (native), ESPN, "Maps Nearby", and "Favorites". Anyone recommend any particular app that works well as a widget? I tested a few of the ones I already have and a lot of them have either stupid or useless widget functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom