• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akira

I'm loving iOS 10 so far but I have had one pretty big annoyance. In Safari I use a lot of tabs so I use the tabs button on the bottom right all the time. Before 10, I used to just tap on the bottom of the screen to get the bottom bar to pop up. Now I have to scroll the page in order to get the bottom bar to show. Anyone know if I can revert it back to the old behavior?

Was fooling around with the new widgets page, and it has been pretty convenient so far. The only widgets I use are Weather (native), News (native), ESPN, "Maps Nearby", and "Favorites". Anyone recommend any particular app that works well as a widget? I tested a few of the ones I already have and a lot of them have either stupid or useless widget functionality.

Transit app is great if you use subway/commuter rail. She am is great too if you are ever in situations where you hear a song and don't wanna go through all the time figured out where the app is or searching get via typing. Widget has a touch to she am button. Kindle good if you want quick access to your recent read books

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm loving iOS 10 so far but I have had one pretty big annoyance. In Safari I use a lot of tabs so I use the tabs button on the bottom right all the time. Before 10, I used to just tap on the bottom of the screen to get the bottom bar to pop up. Now I have to scroll the page in order to get the bottom bar to show. Anyone know if I can revert it back to the old behavior?
It still exists. At least on my iPhone.

jstripes

Banned
Lat night I said "Hey, Siri..." and asked her to play a song.

Siri responded by telling me, using my name, in a subtly judgmental way, that I'm up late.

I told her that yes, I was up late, and she said "That's what I thought."

Wow, Siri.

Ashhong

My biggest pet peeves with iOS 10, so far, are that the explicit content/restrictions bug still remains (it started with the introduction of iOS 8.4 and Apple Music mid last year), the search bar in Settings.app still loves to get laid with the phone's status bar, and the biggest one: they removed iOS 9's best feature, the screen turning on and audio playback being resumed automatically when a audio source is connected (aux cable, lightning or bluetooth)! WTF Apple, really.

What? That is a terrible feature. Just because I plug in my headphones doesn't mean I want my phone to blare music. I also do not remember that even happening. I have my phone connected to my car Bluetooth and it has never once resumed music by itself...

What I am glad they removed from the beta though, is your phone resuming playback automatically after it disconnects from Bluetooth. Super annoying having my music come out from the speaker after I parked.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Lat night I said "Hey, Siri..." and asked her to play a song.

Siri responded by telling me, using my name, in a subtly judgmental way, that I'm up late.

I told her that yes, I was up late, and she said "That's what I thought."

Wow, Siri.
Next time screenshot it. She probably didn't understand that you wanted to listen to a song. Or she's just your mother.

jstripes

Banned
Next time screenshot it. She probably didn't understand that you wanted to listen to a song. Or she's just your mother.

It went down like this:

Me: "Hey Siri..." *pung* "...play the theme from Fame." (It's on Apple Music, wife wanted to hear it.)

Her: "J, I think you're up late." (It was around midnight, we usually go to bed at 11.)

My wife and I reacted in silent but amused disbelief.

^ That's amazing. I'd say it was Siri misunderstanding, but it sounds so specific. Maybe it's because you had a Bedtime schedule set?

What? That is a terrible feature. Just because I plug in my headphones doesn't mean I want my phone to blare music. I also do not remember that even happening. I have my phone connected to my car Bluetooth and it has never once resumed music by itself...

I think the other poster was misremembering the feature. I think they were talking about the music controls showing up on the lock screen when you plug in headphones or aux cable, which is what I was saying suddenly starting working again.

jstripes

Banned
^ That's amazing. I'd say it was Siri misunderstanding, but it sounds so specific. Maybe it's because you had a Bedtime schedule set?

If it wasn't a misunderstanding, I'm actually impressed. I've never had a computer talk back to me before.

It's fairly easy for Siri to figure out my sleeping schedule. Just examine the sensor data and logs to understand that my iPhone sits plugged-in on a flat surface with no movement or user input between ~11pm and ~7am.

Last year Apple bought an AI learning company that owned tech that could help Siri understand context and the flow of conversations better, so it could do more than simply respond to a single query at a time. Maybe they're implementing it. 🤔

Akira

It still exists. At least on my iPhone.

Oh, it does. It was so inconsistent that I thought they removed the tap to bring up bottom navigation (like 5% success in iOS 10). If I tap the very bottom of the screen, it works. Before iOS 10, I could tap just inside the screen and it would work. It looks like they minimized the "touch zone" for that feature.

This update makes me want to kill myself. Music app is sooooo shitty, half the artists dont have pictures. The albums in the artist page arent listed in any order, and the icons are ugly
Thank god i have the option to revert back

MIMIC

Banned
Transit app is great if you use subway/commuter rail. She am is great too if you are ever in situations where you hear a song and don't wanna go through all the time figured out where the app is or searching get via typing. Widget has a touch to she am button. Kindle good if you want quick access to your recent read books

I have opening up Shazzam down to a science :) (because it was very annoying before)

It's fairly easy for Siri to figure out my sleeping schedule. Just examine the sensor data and logs to understand that my iPhone sits plugged-in on a flat surface with no movement or user input between ~11pm and ~7am.

Last year Apple bought an AI learning company that owned tech that could help Siri understand context and the flow of conversations better, so it could do more than simply respond to a single query at a time. Maybe they're implementing it. 🤔

Yeah, what you described is basically what the Bedtime feature in the Clock app does. I was just wondering if you had turned it on, as it might make Siri try to nudge you to stick to the schedule.

I had forgotten about that AI company they bought. They definitely could be turning it on for small subsets of users or for specific use cases to test it.

Roo

So... every time I plug my headphones (or an auxiliary cable for that matter) the music app no longer pops up on my lock screen like it used to before updating to iOS 10 despite having Handoff on.

Now I have to manually do the whole thing. Is this normal? Do I have to turn on another option or what?

iPhone 5S btw.

Giolon

Just updated my iPad Air 2 to ios10 and safari swipe forward isn't working.

It still works, but it's super finicky if you have the side-by-side capability enabled. I find that I have to swipe pretty fast compared to before in order to activate it. Turning off Side-by-Side in Settings restores the older swipe forward ease of use. Not a very good solution though. :-/

mrkgoo

So... every time I plug my headphones (or an auxiliary cable for that matter) the music app no longer pops up on my lock screen like it used to before updating to iOS 10 despite having Handoff on.

Now I have to manually do the whole thing. Is this normal? Do I have to turn on another option or what?

iPhone 5S btw.

That was part of suggested apps.
There used to be a setting but I can't find it at the moment. It's probably just that it's less aggressive. I find when I plug my headphones in now, sometimes it suggests my podcasts app and sometimes it doesn't.
It still works, but it's super finicky if you have the side-by-side capability enabled. I find that I have to swipe pretty fast compared to before in order to activate it. Turning off Side-by-Side in Settings restores the older swipe forward ease of use. Not a very good solution though. :-/

I don't think it's about speed. Another user pointed out that you can still do it but it's no longer edge-swiping. Like just try putting your finger near the edge and swiping, not from OFF the edge.

Rootbeer

Banned
Purify has been updated to 1.2.3

Citing iOS 10 optimization, improved engine performance, updated blocking database, and other fixes.

It's still my favorite blocker. I get fewer unblocked ads using it and with fewer weird glitches (like huge uncollapsed boxes where the ads used to be) than with other blockers i've tried.

Standard disclaimer... remember to whitelist neogaf.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm having some issues with the new Music App.

I juggle between my Japanese iTunes account and American iTunes account to purchase and download music.

With this new app, music that I purchased and downloaded to the device is disappearing when I switch from one account to another. The songs still show up in a "Purchased" Playlist, but they are all individual songs, and not grouped by Album.

None of their music shows up in the Album/Artist views unless I log back into the iTunes account with which I purchased it.

This is insanely frustrating, but is it intended to be this way? If so, I'm done using this app. Are there any alternative music playback apps that can identify the songs I downloaded to the device via iTunes?

I gotta say, but between this, some deleted photos reappearing seemingly at random on my Photo Stream, and my largely negative initial experience with the Apple Watch, I'm starting to become quite frustrated with Apple right now.

I'm having some issues with the new Music App.

I juggle between my Japanese iTunes account and American iTunes account to purchase and download music.

With this new app, music that I purchased and downloaded to the device is disappearing when I switch from one account to another. The songs still show up in a "Purchased" Playlist, but they are all individual songs, and not grouped by Album.

None of their music shows up in the Album/Artist views unless I log back into the iTunes account with which I purchased it.

This is insanely frustrating, but is it intended to be this way? If so, I'm done using this app. Are there any alternative music playback apps that can identify the songs I downloaded to the device via iTunes?

I gotta say, but between this, some deleted photos reappearing seemingly at random on my Photo Stream, and my largely negative initial experience with the Apple Watch, I'm starting to become quite frustrated with Apple right now.

3rd party apps need media access to the Media Library. I use Cesium and others tend to like Marvis+

jstripes

Banned
Yeah, what you described is basically what the Bedtime feature in the Clock app does. I was just wondering if you had turned it on, as it might make Siri try to nudge you to stick to the schedule.

I had forgotten about that AI company they bought. They definitely could be turning it on for small subsets of users or for specific use cases to test it.

Nope, never turned on that feature.

Roo

That was part of suggested apps.
There used to be a setting but I can't find it at the moment. It's probably just that it's less aggressive. I find when I plug my headphones in now, sometimes it suggests my podcasts app and sometimes it doesn't.
I just did some research and what you're talking about is (was) on iTunes and App store. On iOS 10 it is not longer there.

Someone suggested going to Spotlight and Siri suggestions but it only adds/removes the small icon on the bottom left of the lock screen.

Can't seem to find a solution for my problem yet. Shame.

Jeffrey

just encountered a strange bug on my 6s plus.

the top sensor if even slightly blocked completely turned off the screen and froze the state.

turns back on if i move my hand away.

fixed with a reboot.

weird.

We literally discussed this problem a few posts above your post. 👀 I don't think there's a real answer yet, but mine started working yesterday for the first time and is solid now. My working theory is that since this is a Proactive AI feature, the iOS 10 update wiped the learned behavior and Proactive has to relearn your habits again.

Roo

We literally discussed this problem a few posts above your post. 👀 I don't think there's a real answer yet, but mine started working yesterday for the first time and is solid now. My working theory is that since this is a Proactive AI feature, the iOS 10 update wiped the learned behavior and Proactive has to relearn your habits again.

I honestly just went straight to the post reply button lol
To be fair, it seems like it isn't a feature a lot of people are fond of so I thought it wouldn't be an issue here so I decided to ask right away (my bad)
But yeah, hopefully it is only a proactive AI thing. I miss it :(

Hmm I want to try purify again but seems like the new version has an issue that's letting ads through according to their twitter account. I tried crystal again and I don't really Like it. It leaves the leftover ad spaces on some websites and doesn't reformat the page to fit.

ESBL

Hmm I want to try purify again but seems like the new version has an issue that's letting ads through according to their twitter account. I tried crystal again and I don't really Like it. It leaves the leftover ad spaces on some websites and doesn't reformat the page to fit.

I have Crystal and Focus both enabled and it seems to get the job done.

GWX

What I am glad they removed from the beta though, is your phone resuming playback automatically after it disconnects from Bluetooth. Super annoying having my music come out from the speaker after I parked.

iOS 9 didn't resume playback automatically, it just showed the playback controls of the last thing you were listening to on the lock screen. I guess I didn't use the right word. The screen used to automatically turn on and give me instantenous access to my playback controls, so I could just resume playback easily. I also used the screen turning on feature to check which device my bluetooth speaker connected to, as I have several and can never remember which one I used with the speaker last.

Such feature was actually advertised as a part of iOS 9's "intelligence" feature set, and now it has been removed for no reason.

dLMN8R

Ever since upgrading to iOS 10 I've had some really strange problems with contacts. Anyone else?

Sometimes my iPhone will just completely forget the names of all my contacts and just show phone numbers, until a couple minutes later when it resolves itself.

Other times I'll see just the person's initials in the little contact circle thing, even though that person's full name doesn't actually show up anywhere.

What gives?

Ever since upgrading to iOS 10 I've had some really strange problems with contacts. Anyone else?

Sometimes my iPhone will just completely forget the names of all my contacts and just show phone numbers, until a couple minutes later when it resolves itself.

Other times I'll see just the person's initials in the little contact circle thing, even though that person's full name doesn't actually show up anywhere.

What gives?

I've had the phone number thing happen a few times to me. It's annoying and I have no idea what's causing it.

Erebus

Still waiting for Fleksy to optimize their keyboard for iOS 10.

It still works, mind you but it's really unstable. I'm trying to use the stock keyboard again but after almost 2 years of using Fleksy, I find it hard to get accustomed to Apple's keyboard.

Fliesen

Still waiting for Fleksy to optimize their keyboard for iOS 10.

It still works, mind you but it's really unstable. I'm trying to use the stock keyboard again but after almost 2 years of using Fleksy, I find it hard to get accustomed to Apple's keyboard.

speaking of 'third party keyboards'

i really appreciate the fact that gif keyboards and all that fun stuff has been relocated to the (much more stable) 'stickers / iMessage apps' API.

Giphy keyboard loads up faster, doesn't crash as often, and you don't run into these weird situations where a third party keyboard prevents your keyboard from showing altogether.

Wiz

I hate how the mail app notifications are just one long text string. So ugly. Are there any other mail apps that have better notifications?

randome

I liked the menu where you swipe up to control the volume and brightness in iOS 9 a lot better as well as the one where you swipe down. Wish we could customize them. For example, I hate having to swipe right for volume.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I liked the menu where you swipe up to control the volume and brightness in iOS 9 a lot better as well as the one where you swipe down. Wish we could customize them. For example, I hate having to swipe right for volume.

Volume buttons on the side of the device?

Ever since I realised you could turn off the "your ringer and alarm volume is affected by the volume buttons" and separate the two I've not used the control center slider for music/video volume since.

tmdorsey

Volume buttons on the side of the device?

Ever since I realised you could turn off the "your ringer and alarm volume is affected by the volume buttons" and separate the two I've not used the control center slider for music/video volume since.

Wow, I've never noticed this! Thanks for the tip!

speaking of 'third party keyboards'

i really appreciate the fact that gif keyboards and all that fun stuff has been relocated to the (much more stable) 'stickers / iMessage apps' API.

Giphy keyboard loads up faster, doesn't crash as often, and you don't run into these weird situations where a third party keyboard prevents your keyboard from showing altogether.

I still gotta keep GIF Keyboard around for non-iMessage uses

Well after two days of music controls on the lock screen working great, the controls are not showing up today when I plug in using either the adapter or the headphones. :( Seems like this was not an issue of the AI learning the behavior, but just a bug after all.

Well after two days of music controls on the lock screen working great, the controls are not showing up today when I plug in using either the adapter or the headphones. :( Seems like this was not an issue of the AI learning the behavior, but just a bug after all.

I've been assuming it was a bug this whole time. Anyone on 10.1 who can say if it was fixed?

Just updated to iOS 10. How do I change basically everything back to the way it was? I've yet to see a single change that I think is an improvement.

So I'm guessing there's no option to make it so the lock screen turns on to the new notifications screen with all the widgets without me having to swipe to the right to see it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom