• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

SiteSeer

It's been a few weeks now - how are iPhone 5S users liking iOS10?

a tiny bit slower, some gui elements don't really feel the right size on such a small screen (new music app "library", up swipe splitting volume to a separate right swipe). also feel like battery is draining a bit faster too. i dunno, its ok, just to be up to date.

So I'm guessing there's no option to make it so the lock screen turns on to the new notifications screen with all the widgets without me having to swipe to the right to see it?

That is interesting. It would be nice if I could have the notifications on the same page as the lock screen.

DOWN

Banned
HomeKit was setup under mine and worked but I invited my boyfriend's phone and now they all say No Response on his phone but work on mine? Why can't he control it as an invited user?

Has anyone had any issues adding custom ringtones to iOS 10?

I just got an iPhone 7 today, and tried to copy over my old ringtone that I used to use on my iPhone 4S, in the format of .m4r, and when trying to drag it from 'Tones' in iTunes to the iPhone (on a Mac, in iTunes), it won't copy across. Did they change how you did it?

EDIT: Sorted. I hadn't actually allowed iTunes to communicate with the iPhone. Duh.

I don't actually like the way that was handled. I set my iPhone up on its own earlier, went for 'Set up as new phone' etc, all good. Then I hooked it up to iTunes and it asks "Do you want to set up as a new iPhone?". Well, no, because I've already done that and you might wipe everything.

Turns out it doesn't wipe anything, it must of just setup the basic backup etc. Not particularly clear.

Garou

History shows the .1 release drops around one month after the .0 release. So, more like 10-14 days away.

Apple Pay will come to Japan by the end of the month and apple.jp says the function will be aded through a update in the end of October, so expect 20th~30th.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Ah, thats good, not that long away.
I hope they fix the battery problems on my iPhone 6 that came with the update after the major release.

cackhyena

My only big gripe with this update is pop up text takes way longer in my 6 to switch over in full to the text screen. It used to be practically instant.

JoeNut

so my bluetooth is just totally borked, keeps disconnecting from my car then reconnecting again, means i can't make calls or listen to podcasts reliably

Wish i'd never updated

EDIT: im on 5S

My only big gripe with this update is pop up text takes way longer in my 6 to switch over in full to the text screen. It used to be practically instant.

It's to the point where I might as well just open the messaging app instead of using quick reply. Although I'm on a 6+ which is even slower and laggier.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
so my bluetooth is just totally borked, keeps disconnecting from my car then reconnecting again, means i can't make calls or listen to podcasts reliably

Wish i'd never updated

EDIT: im on 5S
I had this happen once the other day. Annoying as shit to get back on again.

Maybe this has been answered in this thread, but I'm actually coming back to iOS after being on Android a few years, but how come sometimes when I unlock my phone it goes straight to the home screen and sometimes it'll open straight to the last app I had open?

Is there a way to have it open to the last app all the time? This is especially annoying when I'm cooking and I have a recipe open and then my phone will go to sleep, and then upon unlocking it goes back to the home screen....then I gotta go back to the app...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Maybe this has been answered in this thread, but I'm actually coming back to iOS after being on Android a few years, but how come sometimes when I unlock my phone it goes straight to the home screen and sometimes it'll open straight to the last app I had open?

Is there a way to have it open to the last app all the time? This is especially annoying when I'm cooking and I have a recipe open and then my phone will go to sleep, and then upon unlocking it goes back to the home screen....then I gotta go back to the app...
It goes to whatever you used last. Unless you open an app from a notification or Widget or something.

Skunkers

I'm having a problem since the update where sometimes when I'm on a phone call and when I take the phone away from my face (to hang up), instead of getting the "call in progress" screen and buttons, I'm just getting my lock screen so I can't hang up right away. Anyone else seeing this? On a 6S if it matters.

Croc

Banned
is there any kind of known issue with fingerprint reading on iOS10? I'm on a 6+ and since updating to iOS10 my scanner has became useless. I've had to turn it completely off. I tried deleting my fingerprints and adding new ones but I can't even get it to add fingerprints now, it just says my fingerprints can't be read and to try a different one.

just a random note: I've always been one to kinda roll my eyes at people who say "the new update sucks!" But I don't think I've seen a single change that was for the better in this. The new music app is so god awful I'm actually considering switching to some other app for my music.

Ever since upgrading my 5s safari will more frequently reload pages if switch out of the app or even just switching tabs. It's very annoying since I have the page at a certain spot but the reload boots it back up the top.

Ever since upgrading my 5s safari will more frequently reload pages if switch out of the app or even just switching tabs. It's very annoying since I have the page at a certain spot but the reload boots it back up the top.
When this happens to me I find that one of my Safari tabs is a really heavy/long/image-full page. Closing that tab works.

You can also try adding that page to your Reading List so that is cached.

Or if possible you can use reading mode (three lines in the address bar) to try to maintain your reading position.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So I'm on my way to my lunch break when my phone (5C) goes from 70% to 11% instantly and asks if I want to turn on Low Power mode. Like wtf I'm thinking. Now I use Ford Sync but if the battery is below 20% it won't even work so I'm terrified that I might have to sit in silence for my break or worse, listen to the radio. *shudder* So I shut it off with the intention of recalibrating it because there's no way I lost that much battery. So I try to turn it back on and it gives me the "connect to power" icon and won't turn on. I rush to my car and plug it in and hold the power button until it starts booting up. Sure enough as soon as it's back up it's at 65%.

Like come on. I don't know whether to blame iOS or the phone.

Ashhong

So I'm on my way to my lunch break when my phone (5C) goes from 70% to 11% instantly and asks if I want to turn on Low Power mode. Like wtf I'm thinking. Now I use Ford Sync but if the battery is below 20% it won't even work so I'm terrified that I might have to sit in silence for my break or worse, listen to the radio. *shudder* So I shut it off with the intention of recalibrating it because there's no way I lost that much battery. So I try to turn it back on and it gives me the "connect to power" icon and won't turn on. I rush to my car and plug it in and hold the power button until it starts booting up. Sure enough as soon as it's back up it's at 65%.

Like come on. I don't know whether to blame iOS or the phone.

Sounds like your battery might be dying. I had this issue with the 5 and that battery got recalled for that very reason. Just had the issue with my 6 as well and got a replacement through Apple a few days ago for 80$.

If you wait a minute or two after "connect to power" and try to turn it on, it will work again. But the question is for how long. It's a risk lol

is there any kind of known issue with fingerprint reading on iOS10? I'm on a 6+ and since updating to iOS10 my scanner has became useless. I've had to turn it completely off. I tried deleting my fingerprints and adding new ones but I can't even get it to add fingerprints now, it just says my fingerprints can't be read and to try a different one.

just a random note: I've always been one to kinda roll my eyes at people who say "the new update sucks!" But I don't think I've seen a single change that was for the better in this. The new music app is so god awful I'm actually considering switching to some other app for my music.

I haven't seen that. iOS 10 (although possible more because of the 7) has actually been more reliable for me with Touch ID. Possible there's a hardware issue? You might consider bringing it to an Apple Store.

I don't like every change in iOS 10, but the 3D Touch improvements alone are worth it. And I find the Music app to be much more logical now. The Maps app is also a really nice redesign, and much easier to use in the car. And so far the new Proactive features are pretty good. Not as smart as Google's stuff yet, but it's way better than iOS 9.

Croc

Banned
wait...what? The music app in iOS 10 now organizes the songs section by artist name and not song title??? What is the point of that when there's already an artist section? And what am I supposed to do now when iTunes fucks with an artist name making some songs go into limbo unless I search for their specific name?

gamma

wait...what? The music app in iOS 10 now organizes the songs section by artist name and not song title??? What is the point of that when there's already an artist section? And what am I supposed to do now when iTunes fucks with an artist name making some songs go into limbo unless I search for their specific name?

You can change that in settings.

Croc

Banned
You can change that in settings.
Oh thank god. While I'm at it is there any way to make my downloaded iTunes songs not show up in here? It's stuff I downloaded like 6 years ago when I was in high school and have 0 interest in ever listening to again

gamma

Oh thank god. While I'm at it is there any way to make my downloaded iTunes songs not show up in here? It's stuff I downloaded like 6 years ago when I was in high school and have 0 interest in ever listening to again

Just delete it? Or do you mean something else?

Croc

Banned
Just delete it? Or do you mean something else?
There used to be a setting where you could make it not show downloaded music or something. I have never put the music on my phone, unless they changed how it works I think it's only showing up in my library cause it's in my cloud.

gamma

There used to be a setting where you could make it not show downloaded music or something. I have never put the music on my phone, unless they changed how it works I think it's only showing up in my library cause it's in my cloud.

So when you say "downloaded music" you mean songs that you purchased but have not actually downloaded right? They have that little iCloud symbol next to it? If so in the main Library screen where you choose Albums, Artists etc. there should be a Downloaded Music option too that only shows songs that are actually on the phone.

SnowTeeth

Banned
PSA: Remember that trick that would free up space if your device was close to full capacity?

http://mashable.com/2016/03/31/free-iphone-storage-space/#duOQEvZ0Siq1
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/out-of-space-on-your-iphone-try-this-magic-trick-to-free-up-more/
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/mobiles/iphone-capacity-full-this-cool-trick-will-free-up-space-without-deleting-files-and-apps-20160406-gnzi24.html
[URL="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/04/01/trick-frees-up-space-on-your-iphone-without-deleting-a-thing/"]http://wnep.com/2016/04/08/weird-trick-frees-up-tons-of-storage-on-your-iphone-without-deleting-a-thing/[/URL]
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/how-free-more-iphone-storage-space-this-30-second-itunes-trick-1553107

Well Apple have now decided to charge for a rental even if you don't have the space to download it - I just got charged $5 because I was silly enough to use a well-documented trick that I've used many times in the past.

The cynic in me can't help but think this was deliberate, like they knew exactly what they were doing when they made this change.

Apologies if this has been covered before, but this took me by surprise. I'm really starting to fucking despise Apple.

So I just updated my iPod Touch to the new iOS this morning, and, with this being my sole music player I was disheartened to find two of my favourite elements completely erased from the Music app:

- Song star ratings: literally how I have managed my music collection, determined my playlist etc for as long as I have used iPods. I can't work out why it's gone, and if this is permanent or intended to be factored back in? It's still in iTunes, for instance.

- Sorting albums by year: in iOS 9, all my albums were listed by their year of release, thought it was great. Now it's back to bland alphabetical... again, is this intended to be a permanent change or...?

Struggling to find helpful info at other online e sources, hoping a hopeful Gaffer can either confirm my worst fears or give me hope?

So I just updated my iPod Touch to the new iOS this morning, and, with this being my sole music player I was disheartened to find two of my favourite elements completely erased from the Music app:

- Song star ratings: literally how I have managed my music collection, determined my playlist etc for as long as I have used iPods. I can't work out why it's gone, and if this is permanent or intended to be factored back in? It's still in iTunes, for instance.

- Sorting albums by year: in iOS 9, all my albums were listed by their year of release, thought it was great. Now it's back to bland alphabetical... again, is this intended to be a permanent change or...?

Struggling to find helpful info at other online e sources, hoping a hopeful Gaffer can either confirm my worst fears or give me hope?

Both are truly not in there for now, no one can say if they'll come back

mrkgoo

PSA: Remember that trick that would free up space if your device was close to full capacity?

http://mashable.com/2016/03/31/free-iphone-storage-space/#duOQEvZ0Siq1
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/out-of-space-on-your-iphone-try-this-magic-trick-to-free-up-more/
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/mobiles/iphone-capacity-full-this-cool-trick-will-free-up-space-without-deleting-files-and-apps-20160406-gnzi24.html
[URL="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/04/01/trick-frees-up-space-on-your-iphone-without-deleting-a-thing/"]http://wnep.com/2016/04/08/weird-trick-frees-up-tons-of-storage-on-your-iphone-without-deleting-a-thing/[/URL]
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/how-free-more-iphone-storage-space-this-30-second-itunes-trick-1553107

Well Apple have now decided to charge for a rental even if you don't have the space to download it - I just got charged $5 because I was silly enough to use a well-documented trick that I've used many times in the past.

The cynic in me can't help but think this was deliberate, like they knew exactly what they were doing when they made this change.

Apologies if this has been covered before, but this took me by surprise. I'm really starting to fucking despise Apple.

I've never even heard of this trick. But it's basically going to rent a file that you don't have enough space for and it starts clearing out some space in preparation, but figures out it doesn't have enough so stops the rental.

It sounds more like a little bug or programming error. It really should only clear out data (even if unneeded) only if you confirm you want to rent.

Personally I think it should allow options to stream, but whatever.

It may be documented by third party sources but they still claim it as an oddity. I don't think you have place to get angry at Apple for either fixing it or inadvertantently fixing it by changing things in iOS 10.

I've noticed my storage space fluctuate in the hundreds of MB quite a lot. Judging from caching behaviour as well, I would gather iOS 10 is much more aggressive at dumping things it doesn't need, like full-res shared photos in my shared iCloud Photo albums for example (which started in iOS 9 - previously it would never dump them once viewed)

Yesterday I decided I would upload my entire library of songs (~15,000) from my old desktop so I would have access to it all on my phone. I synced my apple music account with my iTunes and it said it was attempting to match my songs if they are in the Apple Music catalog. Next it said it had to upload 13,888 of the songs since it couldn't find matches for them. This is frustrating the matching is based on the tags but oh well, I let it upload them all (took at least 6 hours).

All of the albums show up on my Music app now but they either have only some of the songs playable or they are all greyed out. As well as the artwork showing up as a white box or not at all. When I try to update my iCloud music library in iTunes it tries to match songs or upload any remaining songs but is finished in seconds.

How can I fix this? Does the iCloud music library feature just not work as intended?

Screenshots:

http://imgur.com/a/5qzRX
http://imgur.com/a/mScQK

I just synced my laptop iTunes and all the albums popped up so they're definitely in the cloud...this is just weird.

mrkgoo

Popularity meter for that album
Like it has above half way or something?

It's funny. I like the new music app but what they dedicate space to is bamboozling at times. Downloaded used to be an icon with the phone and an arrow to it. Now it's big letters emblazoned "DOWNLOADED". (Which incidentally flickers on and off for music I own on another account).

Then this magic star which means god knows what if you don't know explicitly.

Weird. Anyway I'm sure things will fall into place eventually.

Popularity meter for that album

Are you serious? I guess you mean popularity per song right? Because those stars show up beside individual tracks.
I'm really starting to hate Apple's direction with music. I don't care about what's "popular", I only want to rate my own music. I want to see what I've hearted.

SnowTeeth

Banned
I've never even heard of this trick. But it's basically going to rent a file that you don't have enough space for and it starts clearing out some space in preparation, but figures out it doesn't have enough so stops the rental.

It sounds more like a little bug or programming error. It really should only clear out data (even if unneeded) only if you confirm you want to rent.

Personally I think it should allow options to stream, but whatever.

It may be documented by third party sources but they still claim it as an oddity. I don't think you have place to get angry at Apple for either fixing it or inadvertantently fixing it by changing things in iOS 10.

I've noticed my storage space fluctuate in the hundreds of MB quite a lot. Judging from caching behaviour as well, I would gather iOS 10 is much more aggressive at dumping things it doesn't need, like full-res shared photos in my shared iCloud Photo albums for example (which started in iOS 9 - previously it would never dump them once viewed)

News of the trick was fairly prolific at first and I just assumed it was fairly well known.

Anyway, I'm angry for a few reasons - my 6's battery is just awful, always has been - but now I barely use my phone and the battery life is worse now after the firmware update.
The new music app is just atrocious - useless and ugly.
Swiping down defaults to Notifications instead of widgets with no option to revert it.
It's slow as fuck.
And at the time of writing that post there is an app that will not download or delete from my phone. I've owned a 3 -> 4 -> 5 -> 6 and never once has an app just refused to delete or download. It's just greyed out. I've reset my phone and it's still there (with more than enough space to download)
iOS10 fucking sucks.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah the big bold DOWNLOADED tag in playlists is so annoyingly ugly. How is it better than the icon? Ugh.

Also I'd be wary of uploading all my music to iTunes Match because half my library is Overclocked Remixes and a bunch is multiple versions of Beatles songs from the Anthology. I don't trust it. Especially after those stories of it mismatching and deleting people's own works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom