• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowTeeth

Banned
Well, you can swipe left for the widgets now, at least from the home screen. But from within apps, yeah I guess it's a slower behavior. I never use the widgets though.

Yeah I actually like being able to swipe left from the home screen to view widgets, which I use often. Still would be nice to have an option though, as I basically ignore notifications. Still can't get over how bad the music app is though. I bought Cesium and will never go back.

Ambitious

I wish embedded videos wouldn't take over the entire screen on the iPhone. Sometimes, I just want to listen to a video while doing something else.

I wish embedded videos wouldn't take over the entire screen on the iPhone. Sometimes, I just want to listen to a video while doing something else.

I thought this was supppsed to be a feature in iOS10, that they didn't

I definitely read something about it recently

mollipen

So I just updated my iPod Touch to the new iOS this morning, and, with this being my sole music player I was disheartened to find two of my favourite elements completely erased from the Music app:

- Song star ratings: literally how I have managed my music collection, determined my playlist etc for as long as I have used iPods. I can't work out why it's gone, and if this is permanent or intended to be factored back in? It's still in iTunes, for instance.

- Sorting albums by year: in iOS 9, all my albums were listed by their year of release, thought it was great. Now it's back to bland alphabetical... again, is this intended to be a permanent change or...?

Wait.

Apple didn't remove star ratings from the Music app. I mean, they can't have. Can they have?

Oh my god, if that's true, I'll laugh and laugh and laugh. I can't believe how crap they're making the Music app ever since they introduced all of their streaming stuff. No sorting albums by year is bad, but not no stars bad.

Now I'm nervous to upgrade to iOS 10 even more. If only I could have the iOS 7 Music app back.

So I haven't changed any settings, but my phone suddenly won't play any videos, either online or stored on my phone. Not sure what to do about this.

EDIT: Turning my phone all the way off and back on seemed to fix it.

number11

I kinda hate how quick Touch ID is. I always wake up my phone using the home button which makes it impossible to do anything from the lock screen. I'm guessing everyone else just uses the power button?

I kinda hate how quick Touch ID is. I always wake up my phone using the home button which makes it impossible to do anything from the lock screen. I'm guessing everyone else just uses the power button?

What model do you have? I'm loving Raise to Wake, solves that problem

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how do I send an imessage as text? My daughter probably has her data turned off, and imessage says 'delivered' which is probably just to her ipad which is here at home. You used to be able to hold down the send button and 'send as SMS' but that isnt' there anymore.

Is it possible to somehow separate the photos I have on my iPhone from the photos stored on iCloud? I simply do not need access to all the photos I have taken these past six years on my iPhone while at the same time I want to keep them all on iCloud. Right now anything I delete from my iPhone gets deleted everywhere. I am really hoping that I am missing a setting somewhere.

Thank you

mrkgoo

Is it possible to somehow separate the photos I have on my iPhone from the photos stored on iCloud? I simply do not need access to all the photos I have taken these past six years on my iPhone while at the same time I want to keep them all on iCloud. Right now anything I delete from my iPhone gets deleted everywhere. I am really hoping that I am missing a setting somewhere.

Thank you

If you have iCloud Photo Library turned on, you could turn that off, but then photos will no longer go to iCloud and you'll have to do that manually (transfer to a Mac for example).

Or you could turn optimise storage on your device in, which deletes (when necessary) hi-res versions and keeps only thumbs. It downloads full-res when you view or use each photo.

jts

...hate me...
So it seems something changed deeply in how screenshots work in iOS 10. Not only I ran into some bug a few weeks ago where the screenshot didn't show what I was seeing exactly, but now I tried to take a screenshot while watching Netflix and it came out black, which I assume is for DRM reasons.

Damn :/

Number45

Anyone else having issues with notification sounds not being what they should be? Discord and Facebook Messenger both are using the standard tri-tone notification and I don't know why. 🤔

Mafro

Anyone else having issues with notification sounds not being what they should be? Discord and Facebook Messenger both are using the standard tri-tone notification and I don't know why. 🤔
Happened to me with Snapchat, Tweetbot and WhatsApp too, there's definitely a problem in iOS10 with apps that use custom notification sounds, restarting the phone fixes it whenever it happens.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Why did they change the music app to put my music in order of artist? I can even change it in the app. I have to go to settings. How ridiculous.

j-wood

Coming from android I hope I'm just doing something wrong and wanted to check here but

Siri seems really stupid, and way less capable than the google voice system.

I'm having the worst time adding a location to a calendar entry I created via voice. I've tried tons of different variations, but nothing works properly.

If I say "create a meeting titled ___________ at 8PM tomorrow at [location]

it completly just whiffs. Is it not possible to add a location via voice?

Why did they change the music app to put my music in order of artist? I can even change it in the app. I have to go to settings. How ridiculous.
The Music app is such shit now (as if the previous version wasn't already). If you don't have/use Force Touch it's way way too many taps to actually play an album.

Three times since I installed iOS 10, my year old iPhone 6S has powered off while it has between 50-70% power left, then refuses to turn on until I've plugged it into power.

It'd never done it before. Anyone else encountered this?

I'm having the worst time adding a location to a calendar entry I created via voice. I've tried tons of different variations, but nothing works properly.

If I say "create a meeting titled ___________ at 8PM tomorrow at [location]

it completly just whiffs. Is it not possible to add a location via voice?

Unfortunately not to my knowledge. You'll have to manually add the location in Calendar afterwards. Well, you say a place as a location, like "the museum", but it gets confused by addresses. It is really bizarre that they haven't added this.

Smellycat

Hey guy, my phone keeps asking me to upgrade from iOS 10 beta to iOS 10, but iTunes keeps saying that my phone is up to date. Is this a glitch? How do I upgrade from the beta version?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Hey guy, my phone keeps asking me to upgrade from iOS 10 beta to iOS 10, but iTunes keeps saying that my phone is up to date. Is this a glitch? How do I upgrade from the beta version?
Over the Air. I don't use iTunes for updating anymore. Also my phone just capitalizes Air for some reason.

Dynomutt

If you were on the Beta have you deleted your "Beta Profile"?

Settings>General and look for Profile.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Siri stopped working. Mic is fine. Apple forums no help. Just stopped responding to hold-and-talk and acts like the mic is disabled.

mrkgoo

Siri stopped working. Mic is fine. Apple forums no help. Just stopped responding to hold-and-talk and acts like the mic is disabled.

Try the usual turn off and on again (and the similar hard reset with both home and sleep/wake buttons for ten seconds).

If that doesn't do it you have to escalate the troubleshooting.

Try reset settings.

If not then you have to backup and restore which is a pain. If it's still not working then it's a hardware issue and you'll have to contact Apple.

I have a vague recollection that there was a hardware related issue that caused such a symptom and was resolved by replacing the phone. Just off memory though.

Laekon

Is there a way to change the background color of folders and the app bar in iOS10. For the most part the update has been okay but the home screen is really ugly. The folders and bars are a very light color instead of being clear so the photo is seen.

There is one big issue, the mail app keeps crashing on my iPad 4. Not sure if it's a issue with the amount of RAM or what but its really annoying.

chunk3rvd

A bit OT but a sensible place to ask since you're all iOS users - does anyone else get an issue on mobile GAF where the menu icon in the top right and the refresh button at the bottom of the page stop responding? Happens to me regularly and it makes browsing a pain in the ass and posting impossible (since the submit post button is also at the top right). Can't work out what triggers it and after a while it always goes back to normal but it's annoying as hell when it happens. Had to switch to desktop GAF just to be able to make this post :/

A bit OT but a sensible place to ask since you're all iOS users - does anyone else get an issue on mobile GAF where the menu icon in the top right and the new replies button at the bottom of the page stop responding? Happens to me regularly and it makes browsing a pain in the ass and posting impossible (since the submit post button is also at the top right). Can't work out what triggers it and after a while it always goes back to normal but it's annoying as hell when it happens. Had to switch to desktop GAF just to be able to make this post :/

I personally never had that problem.

What I am noticing is that Siri is still a useless piece of shit.

X-Frame

I'm sure this has already been posted but for anyone who is disgusted with the new iOS 10 Music Player as much as I am there is a wonderful alternative with app Cesium. $0.99 only as well plus option to give a tip (which I did).

Cesium brings back Star Ratings and all album and Artist artwork that was broken with the new Music Player as well as generally an iOS 9 Music Player UI which I preferred.

It was the reason I considered reverting to iOS 9 and I am so happy to have discovered Cesium.

Anyone else have Siri being condescending in the morning ?

like, I wake up, I ring Siri up, what time is it ?

She's like : it's 6:45 AM, you just woke me up.

... okay ?

Wake me up at 7:30. She's like " okay, I'm going back to sleep now "

WELL SORRY TO BOTHER YOU

Siri is terrible. Like, really bad. I wish they'd take a year and just focus on Siri. I'd like to be able to talk to her like a normal human being.

And notifications needs work. Should be able to group by app. For the fans. And do more right from the notification.

And control center. Why not just let the thing take up the entire screen and offer customization for the layout. I should be able to select an album right from control center without switching apps. and remove that big ass nightshift button

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom