• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any chance they will restore the option only show music on the phone? Its irritating having an extra step in playing music I want on my phone in favour of removing an option so as to push streaming
Music app>Songs>track vs music app>downloaded music>songs>track

Its second on my list of pet hates next to how notification's are awful now

sangreal

If I'd known how ios10 would be focused on force touch I would have waited to get an iPhone 7 instead of the SE back in march

switching between my iphone 7 and ipad pro is maddening w/ iOS10 because of the lack of force touch in the latter. It's really silly that Apple made it so integral while not extending it to their entire product line

Erebus

So what camera app do you guys use to shoot .raw files? I think Adobe's Lightroom let you save DNG format files but I haven't tried it yet.

switching between my iphone 7 and ipad pro is maddening w/ iOS10 because of the lack of force touch in the latter. It's really silly that Apple made it so integral while not extending it to their entire product line
I'd be surprised if the iPad Pro doesn't get 3D Touch this spring tbh.

Special C

I've just ported over from Android. What's the defacto messaging app for messaging over WiFi? I was using Verizon Message but I'm no longer with Verizon. Also what's the best browser?

samn

I've just ported over from Android. What's the defacto messaging app for messaging over WiFi? I was using Verizon Message but I'm no longer with Verizon. Also what's the best browser?

Safari is the best browser. install a content blocker and you're set

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Depends on your region. Seems like you are an american, so it would be Facebook Messenger

mrkgoo

Any chance they will restore the option only show music on the phone? Its irritating having an extra step in playing music I want on my phone in favour of removing an option so as to push streaming
Music app>Songs>track vs music app>downloaded music>songs>track

Its second on my list of pet hates next to how notification's are awful now

On my setup I only have music on my phone.
Open music app> albums/songs/playlist.

That's it.

I don't subscribe to Apple Music and turn that off in settings.

I do hate how it obviously loads a background with Apple Music as an icon at the bottom before removing it when the music app loads proper though.

anyone else having audio issues? Since I updated I've noticed both Downcast and Spotify will randomly pause, stop, skip and FF through podcasts and songs. I thought it was an issue with my headphones (i use the stock apple buds for work/gym) going bad but messing around with them I can't seem to replicate the problem.

KtSlime

I hope they fix Apple Music soon, as a subscriber, who has 11 months left on this years subscription it has become much more hostile to use recently. In addition to all my previous problems with it, today I found a song I liked just listening, and I went to try and heart it, first I tried pulling up control center, it wasn't there, so I launched the app, where I expected to find the heart there was a plus instead, it was buried under the ... menu. For a music discovery app, it sure has recently developed a terrible interface for doing so.

FerranMG

anyone else having audio issues? Since I updated I've noticed both Downcast and Spotify will randomly pause, stop, skip and FF through podcasts and songs. I thought it was an issue with my headphones (i use the stock apple buds for work/gym) going bad but messing around with them I can't seem to replicate the problem.

No audio issues here, but I had something similar years ago.
In the end, I think it was caused by some faulty headphones. Try a different pair and see if it works.

Ambitious

In the Music app, how can I go to the artist of the currently playing song? Tapping the artist/song link below the title just opens the album, and the Back button in the top left corner just returns me to wherever I was. On the album screen, the artist below the album is no link, so tapping it doesn't do anything.

edit: Actually, for some of the artists in my library, their name below the album is a link. It's pink and reacts to tapping, compared to the grey, unresponsive names of other artists. But it still doesn't do anything. As all artists in my library which have a link are pretty popular, I assume the link links to the Apple Music profile page. I don't use this shitty-ass service. So instead of linking to the artist in my local library, the link simply does nothing? What a mess.

Ashhong

I hope they fix Apple Music soon, as a subscriber, who has 11 months left on this years subscription it has become much more hostile to use recently. In addition to all my previous problems with it, today I found a song I liked just listening, and I went to try and heart it, first I tried pulling up control center, it wasn't there, so I launched the app, where I expected to find the heart there was a plus instead, it was buried under the ... menu. For a music discovery app, it sure has recently developed a terrible interface for doing so.

Hostile is a bit much for the issue you had. They just moved one button.

In the Music app, how can I go to the artist of the currently playing song? Tapping the artist/song link below the title just opens the album, and the Back button in the top left corner just returns me to wherever I was. On the album screen, the artist below the album is no link, so tapping it doesn't do anything.

edit: Actually, for some of the artists in my library, their name below the album is a link. It's pink and reacts to tapping, compared to the grey, unresponsive names of other artists. But it still doesn't do anything. As all artists in my library which have a link are pretty popular, I assume the link links to the Apple Music profile page. I don't use this shitty-ass service. So instead of linking to the artist in my local library, the link simply does nothing? What a mess.

Those links are tied to Apple Music and will take you to the artist page. You want to see your local library you need to use your library menu

Lijik

I cant believe theres no way to hide the default photo albums. Having to scroll past them and constantly hide faces in the People tab has become a major pet peeve

jts

...hate me...
Facing an "interesting" bug in Apple's homekit automation. Not even sure where to complain about it and what exactly causes it. iOS bug? tvOS bug? Homekit framework bug? Who knows!

It's really simple, and it's reproducible as well. First noticed when I set up a time based automation so my downstairs lights to turn on at 06:15 AM Mon-Fri they wouldn't turn on on Monday but they would on Saturday. So effectively working as Tue-Sat instead of weekdays.

So basically it considers the 06:15 AM of a certain day to belong to the previous day. It could be pulling a different timezone (which would be a problem in itself, since homekit has access to location services) but the fact of the matter is, when it turns on it really turns on at 06:15 AM... of the next day. Anyway I've reproduced this bug and it goes like that all the time. So in a sense, it's easy to work around it. But there is a cut-off time from which it functions correctly. Tried with 9 something AM and it worked on the correct day.

I know that homekit still feels highly experimental but where can I send some feedback about this?

Ambitious

Hostile is a bit much for the issue you had. They just moved one button.

Those links are tied to Apple Music and will take you to the artist page. You want to see your local library you need to use your library menu

Thanks for confirming. Moronic design decision.

I'm trying to figure out... does iMessage on an iPhone REQUIRE an active SIM to use now?

I know iMessage on iPad, iPod Touch, and macOS don't, but I'm trying to figure this out. I have an iPhone 6+, and my old iPhone 5. Both are on iOS 10. My girlfriend wants to use my iPhone 5 as an iPod to iMessage me and her friends while she's at home with WiFi (she currently uses my iPad Mini but she wants to use stickers and iOS 10 doesn't work on my Mini). I wiped the 5, used my SIM out of my 6+ to activate it, she signed in with her Apple ID, but it WILL NOT let her use iMessage without the SIM in. Even if she has "Send/Receive From" and "Start Conversations With" set to her Apple ID email under iMessage settings. Any time I try to turn iMessage on, it says there was an error and to try again, over and over and over. I put my SIM in, and it works.

Is this a new thing with recent versions of iOS? I used to use my last-gen iPhones as iPods all the time before I got the 6+ and didn't need the extra storage anymore.

I think I'm going to start expanding more and more into HomeKit stuff. I already have a few Hue lights that I only bought because the last couple places I've rented out of either had switches that didn't work or controlled outlets I didn't want. Next up for me is going to be a smart lock (probably August) and a thermostat (probably Honeywell but I'm still investigating).

To be honest the -Kits that Apple provides (Home and Health) have surprisingly become standout features for me, and things that keep me in iOS for the foreseeable future. I've already moved into the HealthKit space with my Apple Watch and Withings scale to great effect

Ambitious

Just a few observations, questions and complaints.

takes deep breath

yearkopieexs3r.jpg

Yeah, don't put the year in the next line or something. Just cut it off.

completealbumyak45.jpg

I assumed that the "Show complete album" button was related to Apple Music, but apparently it's been a part of the Music app for many years. Well, I've been using third-party music apps for a long time, so I didn't know.. In any case: The button does nothing for me. It's a waste of space.

upnextwdjns.jpg

Why does the "Play Later" option sometimes disappear? I don't get it.

overlapu4bdz.jpg

Nothing to comment here.

popups2b41.jpg

When I tap and hold an artist's name, this popup appears. Tapping it displays the artist's albums in the right pane. So it does the exact same thing as a normal tap on the artist's name. What's the point?

abcbhr6w.jpg

These controls have been part of iOS since iOS 1. A magnifier (optional), then the alphabet, then a hash sign for items starting with numbers. A magnifier, the alphabet, a hash sign. A magnifier, the alphabet, a hash sign.

The Music app now uses the abbreviation "Nr." instead (Nummer, German for number). Hooray for consistency!

nr5hjpa.jpg

(Nope, it's not a change across the board. The Contacts app, for instance, still uses the hash sign.)

Now, start playing some song, then tap its title in the bottom right corner in order to open the player view. Tap the album name. The album view will slide in from the right. Repeat this a few times. Each time, a new instance of the album view will slide in from the right. So if you now tap the Back button, you'll be returned to the same album, over and over again.

2016-10-1609_09_23thsdr.gif

Mess.

But enough of the shitty Music app.
Today, I recorded a video of the cute cat of our neighbor using my phone. Some time later, I wanted to watch it on my iPad. This is how it looks when I open the video in the Photos app:

cat18xpj4.png

However, this is how it looks as soon as I start playing the video:

cat2khoic.png

The fuck is this? Oh, and if I keep swiping left and right a few times and then navigate back to this video, it looks like this:

cat30gk4g.png

When I start it, it looks like the second picture again. I can't get the full-res video to play on my iPad. It just doesn't work.

You know, Apple's aversion to favicons really pisses me off. (Hi Abed!)

fav15xs9d.jpg

For bookmark folders, why doesn't Safari display the favicons of the contained bookmarks inside the folder icon? They're indistinguishable.

fav2vokkr.jpg

Same thing for the actual bookmarks, of course.

appstoretqju8.png

Hi, App Store app. You suck, just like your macOS counterpart. (Had to force-kill it.)

a51usq.png

This is a bit random, but what's with the 'A' in the iOS 10 ad?

noticenter94sx9.png

This happened some time ago. My Notification Center was completely empty. And the lockscreen was.. well, I don't have a picture because some of my widgets showed private information, but the layout of my lockscreen was screwed up. The widgets, date/time text and the search field were all over the place (wrong positions, overlapping). Had to restart the device to fix it.

Speaking of notifications:

noti10fsfj.png

Sometimes, when replying to a text message, the notification bubble isn't moved to the top of the screen when the keyboard appears. It's simply squashed, thus making it hard to read the message while typing my response.

noti2hds15.png

..however, discarding the keyboard actually moves it to the top. Great.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

But enough of the shitty Music app.
Today, I recorded a video of the cute cat of our neighbor using my phone. Some time later, I wanted to watch it on my iPad. This is how it looks when I open the video in the Photos app:

cat18xpj4.png

cat2khoic.png

The fuck is this? Oh, and if I keep swiping left and right a few times and then navigate back to this video, it looks like this:

cat30gk4g.png

When I start it, it looks like the second picture again. I can't get the full-res video to play on my iPad. It just doesn't work.

That looks like iCloud library is set to Optimize Storage and the video you're playing on the iPad is not the full resolution original.

Ambitious

That looks like iCloud library is set to Optimize Storage and the video you're playing on the iPad is not the full resolution original.

Pretty sure it's indeed set to that. (I don't have my iPad with me right now to check)
But shouldn't it download the full res video if WiFi is available? When I tried to play it for the first time, the activity indicator showed up for a few seconds, so I assumed it was downloading it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

takes deep breath

You know, Apple's aversion to favicons really pisses me off. (Hi Abed!)

fav15xs9d.jpg

For bookmark folders, why doesn't Safari display the favicons of the contained bookmarks inside the folder icon? They're indistinguishable.

fav2vokkr.jpg

Same thing for the actual bookmarks, of course.
Hi!

Yeah, pisses me off too. Funny though, Safari on macOS shows favicons for the sidebar. Don't know why it wouldn't also be on iOS Safari. And I hate that I'm just getting used to not having favicons on my tabs. Give me my tab favicons! Please! Stop being stubborn, Apple! You practically invented icons! You know WHY they exist! Imagine if iOS was all text labels on the home screen! Yeah. Not so fun now, huh? Put some goddamn site favicons up there!

These controls have been part of iOS since iOS 1. A magnifier (optional), then the alphabet, then a hash sign for items starting with numbers. A magnifier, the alphabet, a hash sign. A magnifier, the alphabet, a hash sign.

The Music app now uses the abbreviation "Nr." instead (Nummer, German for number). Hooray for consistency!

nr5hjpa.jpg

FWIW on my (English) Music app, the sidebar still uses a # for numbers. I guess some German translator at Apple thought they would try something different.

Pretty sure it's indeed set to that. (I don't have my iPad with me right now to check)
But shouldn't it download the full res video if WiFi is available? When I tried to play it for the first time, the activity indicator showed up for a few seconds, so I assumed it was downloading it.

No, I don't think that Optimize Storage setting is contextual to what network you're on. What if you were on wifi, but the wifi connection was very slow? So it's absolute, either on/off.

Vyer

nr5hjpa.jpg

(Nope, it's not a change across the board. The Contacts app, for instance, still uses the hash sign.)

I have a hash sign in my music app.

Now, start playing some song, then tap its title in the bottom right corner in order to open the player view. Tap the album name. The album view will slide in from the right. Repeat this a few times. Each time, a new instance of the album view will slide in from the right. So if you now tap the Back button, you'll be returned to the same album, over and over again.

2016-10-1609_09_23thsdr.gif

Mess.

Why would you keep tapping it over and over

cat18xpj4.png

cat2khoic.png

cat30gk4g.png

It looks like it's still downloading, which either means the previously mentioned storage choice, or an issue with your internet connection

Vyer

Anyone have an idea on why this is happening on my iPad? Fully updated, iPad Pro 9.7

4CHhwKEl.jpg

have you tried the reboot

how do i play a playlist without being unshuffled?

i just want my macklemore album to play in the order it was meant 😫

I just tap on the first song and it goes from there. I used to accidentally set the shuffle option all the time in the old music player and didn't realize it but it seems like that has changed since the update anwyay.

RDreamer

If we're talking about things that piss us off about the music app, this right here. The entire music app is filled with pink fucking microphones even though I've painstakingly put in album covers for nearly everything each of these fucking artists has, not to mention apple themselves has access to fucking everything (or should). Why am I staring at pink microphones? Can't it use one of the damned album covers?

Vyer

I've never seen those pink microphones in my app. Are they supposed to represent missing album art?

Edit: Oh, I get it, that's for your uploaded/matched music that's not in the iTunes library? I think I got them mixed up with the album view, which is a little note symbol.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
You never download full resolution photos or videos with it on to your iOS devices (computers is a different story). Originals stay in iCloud only.

Roo

This is not really iOS 10 related but I think it'd be the best place to ask..

Does anyone have idea of why YouTube (Safari) won't load at all on an old iPad 2nd Gen?
It is literally the only page on the entire web that won't load there despite working just fine last week.

I already cleared the cookies, cache, passwords, rebooted the browser, the iPad itself and even installed an update (9.3.5) that was sitting forever on settings but nothing seems to work.

It's my mom's so she basically only uses it for Youtube to watch recipes, Ellen (lol) and whatever she feels like at the moment.

Any help would be appreciated.

Giolon

This is not really iOS 10 related but I think it'd be the best place to ask..

Does anyone have idea of why YouTube (Safari) won't load at all on an old iPad 2nd Gen?
It is literally the only page on the entire web that won't load there despite working just fine last week.

I already cleared the cookies, cache, passwords, rebooted the browser, the iPad itself and even installed an update (9.3.5) that was sitting forever on settings but nothing seems to work.

It's my mom's so she basically only uses it for Youtube to watch recipes, Ellen (lol) and whatever she feels like at the moment.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like maybe a temporary problem w/ Youtube's website? Is there a reason she can't use the YouTube app? Did it drop old iPad support?

Roo

Sounds like maybe a temporary problem w/ Youtube's website? Is there a reason she can't use the YouTube app? Did it drop old iPad support?

The app works fine afaik. Haven't checked yet. She doesn't use the app because she finds the browser version infinitely more convenient when she's googling stuff instead of going back and forth between apps.

Ambitious

FWIW on my (English) Music app, the sidebar still uses a # for numbers. I guess some German translator at Apple thought they would try something different.

No, I don't think that Optimize Storage setting is contextual to what network you're on. What if you were on wifi, but the wifi connection was very slow? So it's absolute, either on/off.

You never download full resolution photos or videos with it on to your iOS devices (computers is a different story). Originals stay in iCloud only.

@Hash
Then the translators screwed up. Probably the same guys who translated "Screenshots" in the macOS Photos app to "Vorschaubilder", which means "Preview Pictures". It has been fixed in the meantime, though.

@iCloud Photo Library
That's really inconvenient. I don't want to store my entire library in full resolution on my iPad, but I want to be able to view specific pictures and videos in full quality on demand.

Why would you keep tapping it over and over

Because I love to test software. It's part of my job.

I'm an Apple Music subscriber and for the most part I really enjoy the service, but since iOS10 (as far as I can tell), it has been replacing some of my songs (including ones I have had since before Apple Music existed) with live versions. It's really bizarre and in most cases unwanted. Has anyone else experienced this?

Having a couple major issues with iOS10:

I use iCloud email, and it doesn't push new messages anymore. In fact sometimes my gmail and exchange school email accounts also don't, which leads me to believe that something is wrong with the Mail app itself. There are a couple threads on Macrumors about this and according to those people engineering is aware of it, but I'm going to call in and get my name on their list for people with the issue

Secondly, I get a lot of breaking news alerts from the News app, which are great, but "Save for Later" doesn't seem to do anything. They certainly don't go into my Saved list, because I check and they're not there. There was one point a couple weeks ago where the Saved list bulk updated with everything I had saved for a long period of time all at once, but since then, nope, nope updates. Some of those stories I really wanted to read, too

tmdorsey

I'm an Apple Music subscriber and for the most part I really enjoy the service, but since iOS10 (as far as I can tell), it has been replacing some of my songs (including ones I have had since before Apple Music existed) with live versions. It's really bizarre and in most cases unwanted. Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes, this has been happening since day 1 for me with Apple Music. It's their matching algorithm that matches based on metadata tags only. They are supposed to be in the process of changing this.

Link

The Autumn Wind
If we're talking about things that piss us off about the music app, this right here. The entire music app is filled with pink fucking microphones even though I've painstakingly put in album covers for nearly everything each of these fucking artists has, not to mention apple themselves has access to fucking everything (or should). Why am I staring at pink microphones? Can't it use one of the damned album covers?
The entire current Music app is hot garbage. Just awful all around. They've managed to make even the simplest things overly complicated.

mrkgoo

For the second time now I've had an app fail to finish installing after an update.

The AppStore icon completes me says "open", but the home screen has the greyed out circular timer and "installing". Cannot delete the app band cause the little x does not appear when holding down on an icon.

Only way is to go to settings and storage and delete it there (which leaves a blank icon). I lose app data, but fortunately It has only happened on non-crucial apps.

//ARCANUM

Having an issue with iOS 10.1 public beta. So I've had the beta installed since it came out, but I can't update it. When I go check my beta profile in settings, there's no option to check profiles at all. It's gone. When I go to beta.apple.com and try and download profile, I get this:

"An error occurred while processing your request.
Reference #171.159cda17.1476858915.bf98fd3"

Every time I try. Any ideas of what I can do here short of wiping the phone and doing a clean install? (Would really rather not do that.)

Ambitious

When you open an email notification in Notification Center and mark the email as read, all email notifications are deleted. Dumb.
This only happens if you do this in Notification Center. If you mark it as read from the lock screen, only that one notification will be deleted (which is obviously the way it should be).

I am having an issue with using the finger print sensor in the App store. If I go to download an app, I get a message saying "You need to enter your password to enable finger print sensor". This is pointless, since when I've done that, I no longer need to use the fingerprint sensor as I am only getting one app.

Is it resetting every day or something? Every time I've been to the App store I get that exact same message.

The finger print sensor works fine for unlocking the phone, and Apple Pay.

mrkgoo

I just had a deeper look into the disappearance of Game centre. Wut. So how do i add someone just for high scores and lists of games they're playing and stuff?

doesn't seem like you can.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I just had a deeper look into the disappearance of Game centre. Wut. So how do i add someone just for high scores and lists of games they're playing and stuff?

doesn't seem like you can.
You also can't remove any friend individually, only option available right now is to delete all friends at once. A person I added a while ago started spamming a bit the other day and the only solution that wasn't removing my whole friends list was to deactivate all GC notifications.

It's totally half-assed. The way they did it is almost worse than flat-out erasing all GC functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom