• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 10 |OT| Siri, you're free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I just had a deeper look into the disappearance of Game centre. Wut. So how do i add someone just for high scores and lists of games they're playing and stuff?

doesn't seem like you can.

You also can't remove any friend individually, only option available right now is to delete all friends at once. A person I added a while ago started spamming a bit the other day and the only solution that wasn't removing my whole friends list was to deactivate all GC notifications.

It's totally half-assed. The way they did it is almost worse than flat-out erasing all GC functionality.

The modern iOS 10 Game Center friend management/invites etc. APIs are handled via games themselves and the Contacts and Messages app actually (remember in Apple's eyes the only friends you have are real life friends so they're in your Contacts app). It just hinges on developers updating their apps to make use of the changes.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16...nter-app-gone-invites-are-managed-by-messages

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The modern iOS 10 Game Center friend management/invites etc. APIs are handled via games themselves and the Contacts and Messages app actually (remember in Apple's eyes the only friends you have are real life friends so they're in your Contacts app). It just hinges on developers updating their apps to make use of the changes.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16...nter-app-gone-invites-are-managed-by-messages
I guess I'm never going to be able to delete people that were added through the now defunct app then, as the majority of them aren't in my contacts. I'll have to leave GC notifications turned off permanently because one of those players has started spamming with invites and challenges from games that I never played.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I guess I'm never going to be able to delete people that were added through the now defunct app then, as the majority of them aren't in my contacts. I'll have to leave GC notifications turned off permanently because one of those players has started spamming with invites and challenges from games that I never played.
No access to an iOS 9 device or a Mac? Game Center app still exist on both.

It's a hassle I agree, I have a couple of hundred on the friends list from iOS GAF that I can't manage in iOS 10 directly anymore that I haven't got in my Contacts. This is one of those cases where Apple's vision of what Game Center was and how it should have been used (IRL friends you know, gaming together) was not how it was used by a lot of people.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

It's a hassle I agree, I have a couple of hundred on the friends list from iOS GAF that I can't manage in iOS 10 directly anymore that I haven't got in my Contacts. This is one of those cases where Apple's vision of what Game Center was and how it should have been used (IRL friends you know, gaming together) was not how it was used by a lot of people.
My Mac is on Sierra which unfortunately has also lost the GC app, but I think there’s an older iPad lying around my folks’ house that hasn’t been updated. I’ll try to login on it, thanks for the suggestion!

And yeah, it’s a shame the app never reached its full potential (as it was never their intention). I still feel like they half-assed the removal though, on iOS 10 the notification settings for Game Center still has the option to have a badge on the icon. :p

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
My Mac is on Sierra which unfortunately has also lost the GC app, but I think there’s an older iPad lying around my folks’ house that hasn’t been updated. I’ll try to login on it, thanks for the suggestion!

And yeah, it’s a shame the app never reached its full potential (as it was never their intention). I still feel like they half-assed the removal though, on iOS 10 the notification settings for Game Center still has the option to have a badge on the icon. :p

Haven't dug into it but I wouldn't be surprised if the app is still there just hidden.

There's definitely a huge notification bug on iOS10. I'm still getting the one where if a notification like a new text hits my iPad my phone won't alert me, mail doesn't push anymore, and now my banking app doesn't push when I do a transaction when it used to do that constantly

10.1 better fix this stuff

mrkgoo

I have a mac on El Capitan and went thrower and it says "no friends" then just goes service unavailable.

Not all my game centre friends are contacts.

Minamu

Anyone else having trouble with loading tabs from facebook through Safari? Let's say I open 5 news tabs from my feed and Safari crashes for whatever reason or I do something else for a while so the app needs to reload. I most cases, I end up with broken links even though loaded fine the first time. Basically I get kicked to a facebook error site because their redirect site couldn't handle the request. Also, I'm no longer able to press and hold on links to open them in a separate tab, I need to open the link and go back to fb every time. The function is fine on other sites though!

HotHamBoy

Can anyone help me with this issue?

As of yesterday, I cannot make any purchases in the app store or in-apps, free or paid. No error, it just tries to connect forever. In the app store the icon will spin endlessly and won't bring up touch I.D.. In-apps it is the same thing, just tries to connect forever. I *can* download updates for apps, though.

My internet is fine, I've even tried it on other wifi connections. Firmware up to date, no restrictions in settings, credit card info hasnt changed, money in the bank. I've tried powering off and signing out and back in. Again, there is no error code, it just hangs.

This is with an iPad Air 2 on iOS 10.

Edit: I can't download previously purchased apps, either.

Edit 2: scratch that, i can download previously purchased apps.

Can anyone help me with this issue?

As of yesterday, I cannot make any purchases in the app store or in-apps, free or paid. No error, it just tries to connect forever. In the app store the icon will spin endlessly and won't bring up touch I.D.. In-apps it is the same thing, just tries to connect forever. I *can* download updates for apps, though.

My internet is fine, I've even tried it on other wifi connections. Firmware up to date, no restrictions in settings, credit card info hasnt changed, money in the bank. I've tried powering off and signing out and back in. Again, there is no error code, it just hangs.

This is with an iPad Air 2 on iOS 10.

Edit: I can't download previously purchased apps, either.

Edit 2: scratch that, i can download previously purchased apps.

Try turning off Touch ID for App Store purchases?

The entire current Music app is hot garbage. Just awful all around. They've managed to make even the simplest things overly complicated.

I mean it has some UX problems, but did you not use the Music app in iOS 9? It was in the top 10 of the shittiest software I've ever used. A disaster. The iOS 10 app is so much more logical and organized by comparison.

j-wood

I'm having a couple of issues on my 7, hoping to get some help here. It's my first iPhone, so I'm not really sure what I can do to troubleshoot.

1. My podcast app does not auto download podcasts (or refresh for that matter) unless I open the app. I get no notifications from it (including badge numbers). I have notifications on, background app refresh on, set to update every 6 hours, and download only new episodes. But since I've had the phone, it only refreshes when I open the app, and then it starts to download stuff.

2. Frequent locations doesn't update. This did work when I first got the phone. But I was having an issue setting up icloud mail, so I went to the apple store and they had me do a "reset settings". Since then, frequent locations history is completely empty (so I never get traffic notifications to go home/work). I have all location stuff turned on, including frequent locations.

3. Since updating to iOS 10.0.3, I get this SUPER annoying pop sound from the speakers when I send an iMessage, almost like the speaker is turning off. Only started after I updated to 10.0.3.

Rebooting the phone hasn't solved any of these issues. I've also tried turning the related settings on and off again.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Either my iPhone 6 battery has decided to start killing itself at the same time, or iOS10 has messed up my battery indicator. But not long after the update once my battery hits 20ish percent it thinks it's empty and turns itself off.

So I charged it to what it thinks is 100% and let it run down again, this time it went to 1% and turned off. When I charged it back up it jumped straight to 22%.
In case it was a funky software bug I have just restored it, but it's kind of doing it again. It was at 34% for about an hour, went down normally then hung out at 24% for 10-15 mins and in front my eyes just went straight to 14% but at least it didn't just turn off.

I'm going to let it run out and then charge it back to full, but I might have to get a battery case if it's going to keep doing this and I can't trust the indicator.

I'm having a couple of issues on my 7, hoping to get some help here. It's my first iPhone, so I'm not really sure what I can do to troubleshoot.

1. My podcast app does not auto download podcasts (or refresh for that matter) unless I open the app. I get no notifications from it (including badge numbers). I have notifications on, background app refresh on, set to update every 6 hours, and download only new episodes. But since I've had the phone, it only refreshes when I open the app, and then it starts to download stuff.

2. Frequent locations doesn't update. This did work when I first got the phone. But I was having an issue setting up icloud mail, so I went to the apple store and they had me do a "reset settings". Since then, frequent locations history is completely empty (so I never get traffic notifications to go home/work). I have all location stuff turned on, including frequent locations.

3. Since updating to iOS 10.0.3, I get this SUPER annoying pop sound from the speakers when I send an iMessage, almost like the speaker is turning off. Only started after I updated to 10.0.3.

1. You didn't actually say what podcast app you're using, so it's hard to troubleshoot. Are you using Apple's Podcasts app or a third-party one? I haven't had any trouble downloading episodes with Apple's app. In the Podcasts app settings, there's toggles for Sync Podcasts and Only Download on Wi-Fi. Perhaps you have one of these set incorrectly?

2. It takes a little bit for iOS to learn which locations are 'frequent'...how long ago did the settings get reset?

3. Can't speak to this because I have sent mail sound turned off. Maybe try setting that one to a different sound and seeing if it still pops?

mrkgoo

Rebooting the phone hasn't solved any of these issues. I've also tried turning the related settings on and off again.

1) just to add to above, also check your "background refresh" settings, and mobile data settings.

2) I'm pretty sure I once had this issue on a previous version of iOS, where frequent locations seemed to not update...it started again by itself somehow. Maybe just give a while.

FerranMG

If Airdrop isn't an option, Weafo.

Although if you can use a cable, using Image Capture on the Mac is the fastest option.

Airdrop turned out to be the least-bad way.
Image Capture it's stupid because it doesn't show the albums I have in my device, so I have no way of knowing which pictures I've already exported and which I haven't (same as with the Photos app).
Airdrop is cool on the phone end, but on the Mac it sucks that I can't specify were to store the files I'm receiving (am I mistaken in this one? I didn't see it).
Weafo I guess it'll be the slower of them all, and I have a lot of data to transfer.

Anyone else had this problem? On WhatsApp and Facebook messenger the alert tones are the default sound from the iPhone 3GS era, y'know, the very first iPhone text alert sound, why the fuck is this? Its especially annoying on WhatsApp when it still says it's set to the Chord tone which is what I've always had it as

Number45

Anyone else had this problem? On WhatsApp and Facebook messenger the alert tones are the default sound from the iPhone 3GS era, y'know, the very first iPhone text alert sound, why the fuck is this? Its especially annoying on WhatsApp when it still says it's set to the Chord tone which is what I've always had it as
Yeah, I've had it with Facebook Messenger and Discord and others in here have had the same problem. Restarting the phone fixes it temporarily.

Hopefully they'll find a proper fix at some point.

j-wood

1. You didn't actually say what podcast app you're using, so it's hard to troubleshoot. Are you using Apple's Podcasts app or a third-party one? I haven't had any trouble downloading episodes with Apple's app. In the Podcasts app settings, there's toggles for Sync Podcasts and Only Download on Wi-Fi. Perhaps you have one of these set incorrectly?

2. It takes a little bit for iOS to learn which locations are 'frequent'...how long ago did the settings get reset?

3. Can't speak to this because I have sent mail sound turned off. Maybe try setting that one to a different sound and seeing if it still pops?

I'm using the stock podcast app from apple. I turned off to only download on wifi, sync is checked, and background refresh is checked in both places (the actual app settings, and the background refresh settings).

The reset was about 2 weeks ago now

I fixed the popping. It was something with the headphone jack. I plugged the lightning headphones in, then removed them and the popping went away. Odd.

IISANDERII

I accidentally updated(fucken pos didn't even confirm) and I came here to complain about how ugly the new emojis are but instead I see in this thread that will be the least of my concerns.

A lot of Apple engineers disgruntled for getting rejected from other places...

A lot of Apple engineers disgruntled for getting rejected from other places...
giphy.gif

SaintR

So is it me or has Bluetooth connectivity gone to shit since the ios10 update? Every time I go to connect my headset it's an issue, either takes much longer to recognize than it used to or I have to turn it on turn it off a bunch of times to get recognized at all.

What gives, am I going to be forced to buy one of the Apple W1 headphones....or was this the plan all along?? 🤔

iOS 10.1 is out! Bring on the portrait mode and massive bug fixes

So is it me or has Bluetooth connectivity gone to shit since the ios10 update? Every time I go to connect my headset it's an issue, either takes much longer to recognize than it used to or I have to turn it on turn it off a bunch of times to get recognized at all.

What gives, am I going to be forced to buy one of the Apple W1 headphones....or was this the plan all along?? 🤔

lo and behold this is one of the listed fixes for 10.1

Rootbeer

Banned
Downloading 10.1 now on my 7 Plus

Man I love the iOS update process. Once it's out... it's REALLY out. the system on Android is still a mess. Still can't believe Google dropped support for my Nexus 5 already... geeze.

iOS 10.1 is out! Bring on the portrait mode and massive bug fixes

lo and behold this is one of the listed fixes for 10.1

10.1 Godlike! Bluetooth crackling and dropping out is no longer occurring w/ my Sennheiser Urbanite XL Wireless... Shit was horrible. So happy to see this shitty bug that never should have shipped with iOS 10 get resolved. Not a good look to ship bluetooth audio bugs with your new headphone port-less phone....

Portrait mode still in beta tho :/

I'm really hoping iOS 11 works on updating and improving some of the basic nitty-gritty apps like Mail/Contacts/Calendars/Reminders (and that it improves Siri a lot).

Deku Tree

10.1 introduces a bug that prevents iOS from connecting to my work wifi network. I just got a "DO NOT INSTALL" email lol. Wonder what is happening.

Enco

With every fucking update touch ID gets really fast then quickly goes to shit.

Takes 5 tries to login and it's slow as hell compared to before....

10.1 introduces a bug that prevents iOS from connecting to my work wifi network. I just got a "DO NOT INSTALL" email lol. Wonder what is happening.

lmao

updated here, everything seems fine

tried out portrait mode in a brightly lit room, it said it was too dark. hrm.

worked occasionally tho so I was able to snap a few pics :)

neshcom

Banned
Hope 10.1 BT fixes fix a bug I've had on my car BT receiver. If it doesn't send audio after, like, a minute, it disconnects and won't connect until I power cycle.

Portrait mode still in beta tho :/

I think it's probably a smart move. I mean it's unfortunate that they are still having trouble perfecting it, but better to label it Beta than get a bunch of bad press.

Speaking of photo stuff, it's surprising to me that there's no way to locally train the object detection. For instance,I have a picture of a cat which doesn't show up when searching for cats, and there's no way to tell it. I understand it's "learning" on the server, but the process for how that improves local search results is unclear. You'd think Apple would be happy to have people training the system.

mrkgoo

I think it's probably a smart move. I mean it's unfortunate that they are still having trouble perfecting it, but better to label it Beta than get a bunch of bad press.

Speaking of photo stuff, it's surprising to me that there's no way to locally train the object detection. For instance,I have a picture of a cat which doesn't show up when searching for cats, and there's no way to tell it. I understand it's "learning" on the server, but the process for how that improves local search results is unclear. You'd think Apple would be happy to have people training the system.

My understanding was that those searches and algorithms are local for more privacy.

That's why currently, the searches aren't shared between you devices, and each device has to undergo the scanning.

mf.luder

Hope 10.1 BT fixes fix a bug I've had on my car BT receiver. If it doesn't send audio after, like, a minute, it disconnects and won't connect until I power cycle.

CarPlay crashes for me randomly. Hopefully some stability is included! Also, hopefully Pioneer issues an update for the receiver.

My understanding was that those searches and algorithms are local for more privacy.

That's why currently, the searches aren't shared between you devices, and each device has to undergo the scanning.

Apple is using 'differential privacy', a technique that anonymizes data in a mathematically-provable way, but still allows for processing on servers. You appear to be right though, that Apple is not using it for photos yet:
Apple said:
Differential Privacy adds mathematical noise to a small sample of the individual’s usage pattern. As more people share the same pattern, general patterns begin to emerge, which can inform and enhance the user experience. In iOS 10, this technology will help improve QuickType and emoji suggestions, Spotlight deep link suggestions and Lookup Hints in Notes.

Does anyone else the Podcast App not download new episodes sometimes? I've even set it to check every 1 hr, but it's still not always pulling new episodes. Bit annoying when you go to listen to it on the train and you have to download it over patchy cellular :/

mrkgoo

Apple is using 'differential privacy', a technique that anonymizes data in a mathematically-provable way, but still allows for processing on servers. You appear to be right though, that Apple is not using it for photos yet:

Yeah, I know about differential privacy. it's a cool technique.

Really disappointing that 10.1 hasn't fixed the lock screen player controls bug. This was a major feature of Proactive when they launched iOS 9 and now it's completely non-functional.

j-wood

Does anyone else the Podcast App not download new episodes sometimes? I've even set it to check every 1 hr, but it's still not always pulling new episodes. Bit annoying when you go to listen to it on the train and you have to download it over patchy cellular :/

I have this same problem. It's like background refresh is broken for the app. I also never get notifications for it.

It doesn't refresh until I open the app (and I have all the proper settings checked).

Ambitious

I don't know whether this issue was introduced with iOS 10 or existed before: When you delete or even just edit the email signature within an email (default: "Sent from my iPhone/iPad"), leave the app and open it again, the original signature will be back. Pretty annoying.

Ambitious

Email notifications are a mess. Why doesn't the expanded notification view show the full email, with HTML and everything? Not only does it eliminate the formatting, it also fucking removes whitespace. Any email longer than three or four sentences becomes an unreadable wall of text. Mess.

Megasoum

Banned
Finally got my iPhone 7 today. First IOS device I use since my old iPhone 5c. Loving it so far even if it feels like I'm breaking the phone every time I click the home button lol.

Anyway, I had an issue on my old phone that I am sad to see is still present. I'm using the Mail app for my work Exchange emails. It's working fine in general but I use sub folders with filters on my desktop Outlook to automatically move the mails in the proper folders. The thing is that the special Unread folder AND the number on the badge icon only shows the number of unread emails in the main inbox and ignores the sub folders. Is there any way to force the app too look at all the folders instead of just the inbox?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom